Looking ahead - The 2019-20 roster thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If all the UFA forwards leave, there will be three spots open in the top 12 for 19-20. The bolded guys won't be waiver exempt. Ages are as of October 1st, 2019.

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Giroux-Couturier-Konency
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Vorobyev-
-Laughton-

Weise (31)
Vecchione (26)
Bardreau (26)
Goulbourne (25)
Leier (25)
Fazleev (23)
NAK (23)

Kase (22)
Laczynski* (22)
Allison* (21)
Twarynski (21)
Laberge (21)
Bunnaman (21)
Rubtsov (21)
Strome (20)
Cates* (20)
Sushko (20)
Ratcliffe (20)
Frost (20)
O'Brien* (19)
Farabee* (19)

* currently unsigned college players

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
So NAK and Frost at least.

Even if simmer was ok with taking an amazing deal I’m not sure we have any room next year let alone the following years. We are going to have to start trading non G vets soon enough!

Reactions: Tripod

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Finally, the goalies.

Sandstrom (22) and Hart (21) are the only goalies under contract for 19-20 right now.

Elliott (34), Neuvirth (31) and Pickard (27) are UFAs.

Lyon (26) and Stolarz (25) are RFAs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Twarynski and Rubtsov have a real good shot depending on their AHL performance.
NAK needs to raise his skill level.
Kase and Bunnaman are probably going to spend a 2nd year in the AHL
Frost will probably make the team out of juniors.
The other junior graduates will spend at least a year in the AHL.
Allison and Laczynski will get a shot at RW, though both may start in the AHL if signed (if not, they'll be traded for picks).
I think Farabee and O'Brien both spend two years in college, then compete for roster spots in 2020-21.

Friedman and Myers (along with Morin) are close to locks to make the team.

So the Flyers could have 4-6 new faces in 2019-20.

G - Couts - TK
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
JVR
Vorobyev, Frost, Laughton, Twarynski, Rubtsov, with NAK, Allison and Laczynski possible candidates for jobs
If they don't extend Simmonds, a trade for a RW is a possibility, I don't see them overpaying for a top FA (no 7 year deals).

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin - Myers
Hagg - Friedman

MacDonald or Hagg will be moved. Gudas is in his last season

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, I obviously want Laczynski and Allison signed sooner rather than later. Not ready to just give them NHL jobs, but they'd have every chance to earn one.
From the bolded group, the only player that interest me today for a shot tomorrow, is NAK. Vecchione, Bardreau, and Leier are all default players that are cheap and in house. Those guys should be the bad players getting paid bad player money, instead of Lehtera, Filp, etc.
Most of the other non-bolded players, they have to wow, or even better, get bundled and turned into an upgrade now, or more futures. I'm all about having the Phantoms become an AHL powerhouse too. This is why Shero was looking at Cap Friendly. When do some of the other roster players fall-off/price-out and do we have the foals in the barn to replace those horses?

In other threads, there has been discussion about the validity of having 4 scoring lines, instead of models of yesteryear with 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line, 1 goon line; 3 scoring lines, 1 grind line; etc. etc. If Vegas taught us anything, it's that the more balanced scoring lines you have, the better. Sure they caught lightning in a bottle, but that model is much easier to replicate than the Penguins having two first lines centered by fHHOF

Reactions: Curufinwe

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
NAK might be the only bolded forward I have any interest in. I'd also, depending of course, consider keeping Raffl for depth. He's like an Austrian Army Knife.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
As for the defense, everything should already be present. AMac bought out or waived and buried in the AHL. Get that year of hazing out of the way ahead of schedule.

Provy - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin - Myers
Hagg

Maybe sign Kalynuk after 19-20, he'd have one more season of eligibility, but getting that close to him being a UFA seems unnecessary. The Swedes will continue to grow over seas, but they are likely ready to see AHL play after this season. St. Ivany has 4 years to go.

Gudas is the next man off the roster, but not because of Hagg, one of these other young guns. Hagg fills in, until likely a(nother) Swede replaces him, or Kalynuk.

The goalies? f*** it, give me Hart and let the rest all burn to ashes. Between Stolie and Lyon, one of them gets to stay on the Phantoms long term, ala Neil Little. Would like to see Sandstrom take that next step in Sweden, then replicate success in the AHL. Would love a "he's too good" goalie controversy for the first time ever of how to split time between Hart and Sandstrom while they are both on their 1st and/or 2nd contracts.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Vegas did roll out Bellemare as their 4C all last season, He had Nosek and Carrier as his usual wings, and they weren't lighting it up offensively, but they could all skate and apply pressure.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick
Maybe 4 scoring lines was a bit brash. I think I described Vegas as three 2nd lines, and one 3.5 line. The fact they could skate and forecheck with competence is a vast improvement over the VdV, Bellemare, White line of Flyers yore.

Reactions: Curufinwe

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I would point out that no player under Hextall has jumped straight from Junior/NCAA to the NHL if they had AHL eligibility (you can add the SHL in there as well-Lindblom). So as of today I don't expect Frost to crack next year's opening night lineup, especially when you consider his camp "performance" this year and the emergence of Vorobyev. Allison and Laczynski are a little more interesting if they have big years considering they will be 22 next season. Farabee is a long shot, but a possibility and I don't think they would sign him unless they thought he could play in the NHL next season.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would point out that no player under Hextall has jumped straight from Junior/NCAA to the NHL if they had AHL eligibility (you can add the SHL in there as well-Lindblom). So as of today I don't expect Frost to crack next year's opening night lineup, especially when you consider his camp "performance" this year and the emergence of Vorobyev. Allison and Laczynski are a little more interesting if they have big years considering they will be 22 next season. Farabee is a long shot, but a possibility and I don't think they would sign him unless they thought he could play in the NHL next season.

Didn’t Provy?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Have to imagine Frost and NAK make it next year (NAK maybe even later this year if injuries happen). After that I don't see any of the forwards jumping next year if for no other reason than we just don't have the room. Farabee may be ready at that point but it may not be worth it to have him on what wold likely be 4th line duties. Maybe Rubstov pushes Laughton to the wing or makes it as a winger? Ratcliffe I could see as a possibility too but an unlikely one. On defense it really should be Morin and Myers without question and Friedman if there is room. Roll with something like this?

Giroux-Couturier-Konency
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-NAK/Laughton
Farabee/Ratcliffe/Rubstov-Vorobyev-Laughton/NAK

No need to force the 4th line with one of the rookies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
With the emergence of Vorobyev, his play will likely help determine what happens to Frost. If Vorobyev is just "ok" at the #3C spot, then Frost likely gets a good shot at that spot giving us a great 4th liner in Vorobyev.

But if Vorobyev has what most consider a "very good year", they likely allow Frost more development time in the AHL since there is no rush and then push the decision off for another year.

Side note, what do people consider a good year for Frost this year? Personally I want to see a Kyrou like season. He needs to not only have a good OHL season, but I want to see him actually step up against top talent at the WJC. And yes I know it's a short tournament and anything can happen. And yes I know it has little impact on a guy and his future. But I also think it would be a big confidence builder for him because as of now, he has yet to be able to step up his play when the games it tougher.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet

It seems more likely that Frost receives some AHL seasoning first, agreed. Short of a dramatically different camp next summer. That may be better for him honestly if there isn't an obvious scoring center role for him, and he can of course be an injury replacement in-season. It seems they are content to bring him along slowly.

Could see one of Allison/Laczynski making it though if that 3rd line RW spot is open for the taking. Allison seems like a perfect fit there with his physical style of game and scoring touch but of course a lot has to happen first for him to win it. I'm sure they will be giving both of them a close look though. Wing is easier to break in at too if your game is relatively mature. They will be 22 as you say with 3 NCAA seasons and maybe a few AHL games under their belt. Hextall seemed to think Allison should have turned pro this season so he he must think he is close to ready.

It's going to be a crowded competition for 4th line center. Rubstov, Laczynski, Frost, Knight, Laberge, etc... Would give a defensively responsible 2-way player like Rubstov the advantage there but who knows.

4th RW seems likely to go to NAK, finally, as he shouldn't be exposed to waivers and that's a perfect role for him. Laughton stays at LW most likely.

Agree with the opinion that it's going to be hard to find a space for Simmonds for much more than another season. I don't see him being resigned even though that makes me sad.

Farabee I think they leave in college for another season. No room for him really and that's fine for his development.

Not sure who leaves the D to make room first but I guess Gudas. I could see him still having some value around the league as a physical RH shot D.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe 4 scoring lines was a bit brash. I think I described Vegas as three 2nd lines, and one 3.5 line. The fact they could skate and forecheck with competence is a vast improvement over the VdV, Bellemare, White line of Flyers yore.

That's was the advantage of the ED draft changes, they got to draft a lot of 3rd line guys, some with upside, some who were simply top flight 4th line guys - so they didn't have to carry the Lehteras, Weise, Leiers, Cousins, Lubys, White, etc. that the Flyers and most teams have to fill out their bottom three or four spots with every season.

That allowed them to play an aggressive forechecking game, because their bottom six could skate.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
When looking at who could make the roster next year you have to look at position and type of player they are and are trying to replace . I also believe Frost will spend some time in the AHL, his game at the pro level needs some work but i see good potential so maybe just one year or less depending on injuries on the big club . Myer's i see on the big club some this year as well as Morin late and up full time next . Up front i see Vorobyev centering the third line with Lindblom on the left and if Simmer is not back Allison has an excellent shot at the right side he is the natural replacement there . Rubtsov i feel will make the jump next year as well but i'm not sure if it is at center or the wing . Nak and Twarynski have an outside shot at one of the winger positions . Farabee and Ratcliffe have zero percent chance at cracking the fourth line cause neither one is viewed as a fourth line type of player . They are projecting to be top 9 type players and pulling them up early just to pigeon hole them on the fourth line would unjust and not help their development at all . Hart if he has a good year should make it as the backup next year with the opportunity to move up to starter as the year moves along .

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
That's was the advantage of the ED draft changes, they got to draft a lot of 3rd line guys, some with upside, some who were simply top flight 4th line guys - so they didn't have to carry the Lehteras, Weise, Leiers, Cousins, Lubys, White, etc. that the Flyers and most teams have to fill out their bottom three or four spots with every season.

That allowed them to play an aggressive forechecking game, because their bottom six could skate.
That is such a boring and myopic way to view things. Sure they had the entry draft, which is why they had no true 1st line, but they also only had the ED and one amateur draft.

Hextall has had 5 amateur drafts, and drafting is the one thing everyone can typically agree he should be praised for. He has the bodies available (and check book) in order to sign non-garbage players. Raffl is a success, Lehtera a failure, all those kids, still question marks.

Still, the thought exercise of needing to dress a nostalgic 4th line is just wrong. The 4th line can be something more than just "heaviness". Lest we forget, the Honey Bees Line was, for a brief moment, the best 4th line in hockey.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
While skill wise and and eye to contending sooner, more younger players should be in the bottom 6, however I have seen how Hextall feels about being "too young" on D. I hope Laughton is the "vet" 4c next year to alleviate his fears, but then it makes no sense to push Laughton to the wing this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad