Post-Game Talk: Look out Avalanche Jet lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I thought before the playoffs started that Vegas was the biggest threat because they played the best team game I've seen (maybe ever). Every single player bought in to the team's system and played it to perfection. They forced every team to have low percentage perimeter shots. A lot of people think it was because they had a hot goalie....but I don't buy that. The goalie either saw pretty much every puck or simply stopped the low percentage perimeter shots. Their coach figured out the Jets after Game 1 and out-coached us for the remaining 4-game sweep. WSH figured out Vegas after Game 1 and used their more talented roster to their advantage. We did not.
their easier path to the western conference finals also helped a hellalot.
Jets played a tough physical series vs the Wild. Jets went the distance with Nashville. Jets were out of gas when they met the Wild.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't see how people can watch some of the acrobatic saves that Fleury made against the Jets last season and say that it was simply "coaching". The Jets had no answer for a really hot goalie, and playing a 7 game series that led into a rested Vegas team. Hellebuyck also had a couple of softies at bad times. Fleury didn't look as good against a more rested Capitals team.
so, let me summarize your post:
you didn't predict Washington, as most didn't.
you're blaming Vegas's win on teams partying. Except home vs away ice wins.

the point is that winning the Cup is necromancy. there are always favourites and the favourites usually don't win. this isn't the NBA or NFL. it's more like MLB. you make the dance and you see where the cards fall.
Jets are constructed to be a strong playoff team. Jets' warts are making it appear as if they won't go far in the playoffs.
Jets have improving they need to do and have a few months left to fix things.

that's all.

The Jets have 2 months to figure everything out.

Getting a healthy Ehlers back and possibly acquiring a player such as Stone through free agency would help their chances of a deep playoff run immensely.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
People need to stop comparing this years team to last years. Last year's team had something to prove. This team is focused on the playoffs. We are still first in the West.

There are only 3 things I am truly worried about:

Getting PL scoring again
Staying healthy
Getting Helle back to his Vezina finalist form

All the rest is just window dressing
Same here. As long as Buff, Chef, Morrissey and Lowry are healthy when the Play Offs start, I believe we have a good shot at going far, maybe even all the way. If Laine gets going by then, our chances are quite good even.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The great coach in Vegas is looking less great this year.
Agreed and to me Vegas has better talent this season compared to last . Goaltending can make a coach look very good but also very bad .
I feel like a big Vegas defender here - after defending the future state of hockey there yesterday, I'm now forced to point out that they're playing pretty well, even though their results haven't been as quite as good. If the Jets were playing like the Golden Knights right now, I'd be happy as a dog with two tails. That team is just as tenacious and quick as they were last year...they're just getting less bounces.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Washington sure didn't and many were predicting they'd be bounced in the first round. Came very close to happening too.

My impression of Vegas last season is that they were the benefiaries of "Vegas flu" and everyone taking them lightly. I was predicting they'd drop off although they haven't dropped off as much as I thought, so I guess there was still something there. I defer to people who followed them more closely if they say they actually looked like SCF contenders all season. Interesting though how same coach and more talented roster is not giving results.

People keep saying Jets are "not the same team" as last year which I find interesting. It is hard for me to gauge if this is true or not because of the atmosphere here at HF clouds the issue so much. If one were to just read HF and not watch games or even the standings, you'd think we were a lottery team yet we're tops in the west. On paper it's pretty much the same roster exactly as last season ... who are we missing? Hendricks (who everyone despised) and Entrom (who most people said wasn't good anymore) ... surely the loss of those two wouldn't make the team so much worse?
You forgot Armia, the posession wizard. It still breaks my heart that he's gone.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I feel like a big Vegas defender here - after defending the future state of hockey there yesterday, I'm now forced to point out that they're playing pretty well, even though their results haven't been as quite as good. If the Jets were playing like the Golden Knights right now, I'd be happy as a dog with two tails. That team is just as tenacious and quick as they were last year...they're just getting less bounces.
I agree but Fleury isn't standing on his head every game and it is making Vegas a average to above average team right now . Fleury stole both the games in Vegas last playoffs , after that the Jets were spent .

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I agree but Fleury isn't standing on his head every game and it is making Vegas a average to above average team right now . Fleury stole both the games in Vegas last playoffs , after that the Jets were spent .

Vegas had the easy route apparently.
Give credit where credit is due they were full marks for making the finals...why is that so difficult to admit for some.
Wouldn’t count them out again.
Anyways our team will have to learn to deal with some set backs...better now than in a heated play off series.

Reactions: Jets 31

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
The Jets sure didn't get any bounces, but their domination was suspiciously coincidental with the score effect:

20182019-20882-cfdiff-sva.png

They didn't get their head above water until late in the 2nd....and when adjusted, not ever.

The Avs aren't world-beaters, either. Ugh. Get your **** together, Jets...

I get the point, I just don't see it in this instance. I know you ask for meaningful possession, not zone time--but the eye test told me the Jets were chasing but would have won that game in the majority of cases.

Also, even if there were score effects, Varlamov still had to stop them.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I didn't follow Washington much during regular season.

Vegas should never have beaten the heavily favored Jets. It is amazing what a great coach can do with a good team and solid systems.

I'm assuming you're going by the old school definition of "great coach" as "a coach with a hot goalie" :P because that's really what Vegas had that series.

Reactions: Gotaf7

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
We are first in the west with a generational goal scorer on an all-time cold streak. The NHL better be on notice come April
generational goal scorers don't play on 3rd lines with lowry and tanev which is were laine will be if chevy decides to get a top 6 forward. he cant even get his shots thru anymore 5on5 he cant generate anything 5on5 to be honest. slow is not a good thing to be in the new nhl.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
generational goal scorers don't play on 3rd lines with lowry and tanev which is were laine will be if chevy decides to get a top 6 forward. he cant even get his shots thru anymore 5on5 he cant generate anything 5on5 to be honest. slow is not a good thing to be in the new nhl.

He has the 2nd most goals in the league since joining the NHL as an 18 year old next to Ovechkin - arguably the greatest goal scorer of all-time. Give me a break

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wonder if they bring up Poolman? That would be my guess (not saying it's right or wrong)

LD got injured so id assume they would want a LD replacement. Unless Kuli is ready to go and they are just looking for a PB guy. At which poi t is say Niku is better served playing in the AHL.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If they played well why did Gallant called out the team and called them soft after losing to Coyotes the other day?
Can you imagine if Maurice lost 5 straight home games or go 3-7 in his last 10 games ... these board would crash.
I'm not calling down Gallant or Vegas just saying teams go through dry spells.
Example: the Leafs PP everyday I had to hear on SN or TSN how bad the Leafs PP was ... now they go 5-11 in the last 2 games and it has already started. Nobody is going to stop the Leafs lethal PP ... lmao.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He has the 2nd most goals in the league since joining the NHL as an 18 year old next to Ovechkin - arguably the greatest goal scorer of all-time. Give me a break
eventually he will score on the pp. 5on5 is much harder to say. has ov scored 1 goal in 1.5 months ever or 7 goals in 3.5 months. those are scary numbers for a generational goal scorer.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
LD got injured so id assume they would want a LD replacement. Unless Kuli is ready to go and they are just looking for a PB guy. At which poi t is say Niku is better served playing in the AHL.
That's what I was thinking - Kuli looks good to go, so whomever they bring up is probs just going to be PB. It would be good to bring Poolman up right now to keep him motivated especially after his career setback this season

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
People suffering from 'what have you done for me lately' syndrome. Laine has proven he can score at a generational pace already - he'll get back to that no doubt.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

He has the same amount of 5v5 shots as Scheifele in the last 25 games and his iCF is fourth on the team during the same span. He's not generating shots like he was earlier in the year, but neither are a lot of Jets.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
People suffering from 'what have you done for me lately' syndrome. Laine has proven he can score at a generational pace already - he'll get back to that no doubt.

I for one don't think it's a bad thing for him to go through some goal scoring adversity early in his career. It will likely help him grow as a player moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->