Post-Game Talk: Look out Avalanche Jet lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I think the part he disagrees with is that "we are .500 in the last 30 days" means that we should be sellers at the deadline. That's certainly a part I'd disagree with too. First sign of adversity and you wanna cash in our chips and go? Not when the team has so much talent and they're this close to playing like they did earlier this season -- I know you used "year" in #3 but I'm assuming you mean "calendar year" and not "2018-19 season". They're certainly a good enough team to have a significant share of the post-season-winning pie.

I see. Yeah 0.500 in the last 30 days is only one of the reasons in my mind why we shouldn't be buyers at at the deadline. Maybe a cheap add but that's it. And this isn't the first time I have said this so this isn't a reaction to 'first sign of adversity'. And cash in our chips? I never said we should be sellers at the deadline.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I didn't follow Washington much during regular season.

Vegas should never have beaten the heavily favored Jets. It is amazing what a great coach can do with a good team and solid systems. Their coach got everything out of their team all the way through, including the playoffs. Ours didn't. Maurice took responsibility for the loss to Vegas this summer, but he hasn't shown that he has learned from some of the issues as we continue to skate 26 and 55 into the ground, and it looks like Helle will also be worn out again come post season, even though we actually have a solid backup this year. We could have had fast skating and puck moving D man this year to replace Morrow, but instead Maurice has decided that Niku should just not play much hockey and not develop much this year - maybe next year - depends on whatever swims around in Maurice's head next year I guess. But when you see Joe Morrow entrenched in our D core lineup, another reason why it is hard to feel good. Our success is also heavily dependent upon our powerplay. I am not sure anyone is able to rationalize what the hell Maurice is trying to do with our powerplay lately but it's clear that he is just making it much worse. Just in time for the run to the post season. But, no one will be happier than me to be wrong about all of this. Go Jets Go!
The great coach in Vegas is looking less great this year.

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I’m just wondering who the Sens brass are scouting off of our current roster. Puts a different slant on the trade deadline.

The Moose are at home too and the Sens are here Saturday. Probably just a general scouting trip for both teams. I'm sure they'll ask for a roster player though.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
The Moose are at home too and the Sens are here Saturday. Probably just a general scouting trip for both teams. I'm sure they'll ask for a roster player though.
Since when does the GM pre-scout? It's all ceremony for these dinosaurs. Why would Dorion need to come watch a player for a game to make a trade. Every games they've played as a pro has been seen and recorded.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The great coach in Vegas is looking less great this year.
Agreed and to me Vegas has better talent this season compared to last . Goaltending can make a coach look very good but also very bad .

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
did Vegas or Washington look like a deep playoff team last year? answer honestly pls
Vegas did actually
They played very consistently all season and looked every bit the part of a play off team.
They dispatched everyone in the west easily and regardless if people think they fluked out ... that simply isn’t true

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I see. Yeah 0.500 in the last 30 days is only one of the reasons in my mind why we shouldn't be buyers at at the deadline. Maybe a cheap add but that's it. And this isn't the first time I have said this so this isn't a reaction to 'first sign of adversity'. And cash in our chips? I never said we should be sellers at the deadline.

Okay, well, now this makes a lot more sense. I disagree vehemently and think that the time is now, but I understand better where you're coming from. Thank you for clarifying.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Maurice has faults , who friggin doesn't ? but for the people that hate Maurice and think he is a horrible coach , should Chevy fire the coach of a first place team ? Come on people .:shakehead We got to the Western conference final last season , hey Maurice your fired .

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler seem to ebb-and-flow at the will of the effort and Scheifele and Wheeler. After putting up an impressive effort against the Rangers' top line, they struggled mightily against one of the top lines in the NHL in Rantanen-MacKinnon-Landeskog. Connor and Scheifele were doing their best to get to the front of the net and bury rebounds on a very strong Varlamov, but Wheeler was painstakingly shooting them from the far outside nearly all the time - making matters worse, on half of them (two times) he misses the net and the puck has to be retrieved as it circles around the board, giving up easy possession. On the other end, Scheifele could learn a few lessons from (hopefully soon-to-be-Jet) Mark Stone, as he always seemed to be a few steps away cheating in the offensive zone, and it cost him on the shorthanded goal against as he loses sight of the puck.

Ferraro was going on and on at the start of the game about how our top line absolutely relishes the opportunities to play against the other team's top line. I knew then how this would turn out.

@JetsFan815 It was all Helly's fault we lost. .886 says it all. ;)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Since when does the GM pre-scout? It's all ceremony for these dinosaurs. Why would Dorion need to come watch a player for a game to make a trade. Every games they've played as a pro has been seen and recorded.

GMs still like to see a guy "live" for whatever reason.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
did Vegas or Washington look like a deep playoff team last year? answer honestly pls

Washington sure didn't and many were predicting they'd be bounced in the first round. Came very close to happening too.

My impression of Vegas last season is that they were the benefiaries of "Vegas flu" and everyone taking them lightly. I was predicting they'd drop off although they haven't dropped off as much as I thought, so I guess there was still something there. I defer to people who followed them more closely if they say they actually looked like SCF contenders all season. Interesting though how same coach and more talented roster is not giving results.

People keep saying Jets are "not the same team" as last year which I find interesting. It is hard for me to gauge if this is true or not because of the atmosphere here at HF clouds the issue so much. If one were to just read HF and not watch games or even the standings, you'd think we were a lottery team yet we're tops in the west. On paper it's pretty much the same roster exactly as last season ... who are we missing? Hendricks (who everyone despised) and Entrom (who most people said wasn't good anymore) ... surely the loss of those two wouldn't make the team so much worse?

Reactions: raideralex99

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Wheels and Fefe are burnt out! Thanks PoMo , thanks. You friggin twit.

Connor is the only one on that line who showed jump and energy of any kind.

I know the first line played a lot early in the season, but haven't they been playing minutes similar to most top lines for the past couple months?

Last night Sheifele played 10 seconds more than Landeskog for example, and our 4th line all played over 9 minutes (Copp 11:31). I don't have time to go back an collate the data, but it seems to me that ice times have been similar most games for a while now.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Laine looked like his old self last night, should have had a couple goals. Most engaged I've seen him look in a long time.

Rest of the team was in the ****ter. Finally Maurice realized Laine should be back on PP1 except put him in the middle instead of on his one timer side :shakehead

I liked the way Laine was engaged last night. He was actually going into corners, using his body along the boards and winning some puck battles. If he plays consistently like last night, he will start potting goals again and will be an important piece for us down the stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
it is obvious that the way to beat the jets is with speed to the puck...vegas did it last year, and flames have done it 3 times this season, as well as other teams on occasion. I can't see the jets getting past the second round witnessing the play this season and especially with little as a second line center, tanev has 12 goals, 2 less than little..that is a problem when 3rd 4th line players have as few as many goals as 2nd center...there has to be an upgrade at this position if the jets hope to the SCF...and how in the world is anyone going to beat the lightning who look like they are on a mission. interesting to see if pomo has learned anything from last years playoffs.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Any GM of any team in the NHL that is in a top 5 or 6 position in the entire league is going to be a buyer at the TD. Seems to me the fact we haven't looked super great so far is a perfect justification for being a buyer...

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
it is obvious that the way to beat the jets is with speed to the puck...vegas did it last year, and flames have done it 3 times this season, as well as other teams on occasion. I can't see the jets getting past the second round witnessing the play this season and especially with little as a second line center, tanev has 12 goals, 2 less than little..that is a problem when 3rd 4th line players have as few as many goals as 2nd center...there has to be an upgrade at this position if the jets hope to the SCF...and how in the world is anyone going to beat the lightning who look like they are on a mission. interesting to see if pomo has learned anything from last years playoffs.
I suggest you go look at what other 2nd line centers in league have scored. not 1st line centres playing 2nd line centre cause the team they are on has 2 1st line centres but true 2nd line centres.look at his wingers. laine was useless every month except 1 ehlers played bad for about a month roslovic is nothing to right home about. good amount of goals while carrying the mail defensively for that line all season who ever is on it with him. basically right now he has 2 4th line wingers on with him and we are wondering why he isn't scoring at a 1st line right.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Any GM of any team in the NHL that is in a top 5 or 6 position in the entire league is going to be a buyer at the TD. Seems to me the fact we haven't looked super great so far is a perfect justification for being a buyer...

If you want to lose assets sure
This team could be better with a little more creativity

It seems like maurice wants the easy way out

Reactions: thegr8one66

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Washington sure didn't and many were predicting they'd be bounced in the first round. Came very close to happening too.

My impression of Vegas last season is that they were the benefiaries of "Vegas flu" and everyone taking them lightly. I was predicting they'd drop off although they haven't dropped off as much as I thought, so I guess there was still something there. I defer to people who followed them more closely if they say they actually looked like SCF contenders all season. Interesting though how same coach and more talented roster is not giving results.

People keep saying Jets are "not the same team" as last year which I find interesting. It is hard for me to gauge if this is true or not because of the atmosphere here at HF clouds the issue so much. If one were to just read HF and not watch games or even the standings, you'd think we were a lottery team yet we're tops in the west. On paper it's pretty much the same roster exactly as last season ... who are we missing? Hendricks (who everyone despised) and Entrom (who most people said wasn't good anymore) ... surely the loss of those two wouldn't make the team so much worse?
so, let me summarize your post:
you didn't predict Washington, as most didn't.
you're blaming Vegas's win on teams partying. Except home vs away ice wins.

the point is that winning the Cup is necromancy. there are always favourites and the favourites usually don't win. this isn't the NBA or NFL. it's more like MLB. you make the dance and you see where the cards fall.
Jets are constructed to be a strong playoff team. Jets' warts are making it appear as if they won't go far in the playoffs.
Jets have improving they need to do and have a few months left to fix things.

that's all.

Reactions: Maukkis

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I thought before the playoffs started that Vegas was the biggest threat because they played the best team game I've seen (maybe ever). Every single player bought in to the team's system and played it to perfection. They forced every team to have low percentage perimeter shots. A lot of people think it was because they had a hot goalie....but I don't buy that. The goalie either saw pretty much every puck or simply stopped the low percentage perimeter shots. Their coach figured out the Jets after Game 1 and out-coached us for the remaining 4-game sweep. WSH figured out Vegas after Game 1 and used their more talented roster to their advantage. We did not.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't see how people can watch some of the acrobatic saves that Fleury made against the Jets last season and say that it was simply "coaching". The Jets had no answer for a really hot goalie, and playing a 7 game series that led into a rested Vegas team. Hellebuyck also had a couple of softies at bad times. Fleury didn't look as good against a more rested Capitals team.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
To everyone who was talking about bounces after the Rangers--tonight was an Official ****ing Bounces game.

Jets were the better team, but got goalied. They owed us one after Grubauer's last **** show, I guess.

I just assumed they had posted. ;)
The Jets sure didn't get any bounces, but their domination was suspiciously coincidental with the score effect:

20182019-20882-cfdiff-sva.png

They didn't get their head above water until late in the 2nd....and when adjusted, not ever.

The Avs aren't world-beaters, either. Ugh. Get your shit together, Jets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->