Look at this ridiculous play by Mario

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Its always so strange how little fans wore apparel back in those days. That industry sure exploded. Can't get enough of clips like that bringing me back to my childhood

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I miss players who like to SLOW the game down and improvise. It is sorely lacking in today's game. The game today is way too robotic for my liking.

I do see a little bit of Mario in Jack Eichel, though. Hopefully he fulfills his potential. I love the way he plays the game.

As for Mario, what do you expect from the greatest player my city has ever produced (or ever will!)?

:D

Todays game isnt made for skill. Its made for 4 lines, pluggers that can only move their feet and 50 point corsi stars.

Im hoping expansion can keep job numbers high and put this game back to 3 lines.

Sid, Geno, Ovy and Kaner would be so much more fun to watch if they werent being cased by some mungaliod that gets the same ice time as warm beer and then rides 10 miles on the bike after a game.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I lived in Cole Harbour for several years and got to watch Crosby as he was going through the minors until he left for St Mary's. Then he returned to play in the Q where I saw him quite a bit. Dominate player in so many ways back then, as he still is today. Having moved around a bit, got to see Gretsky play several games as well as Mario.

Crosby is certainly a great player and will have some rarefied points totals when he retires but Gretsky still would be the best that has ever played. Mario was without question right up there with him. Better than Gretzky in some respects but just slightly behind him overall. Mario might have beaten some of his records had he stayed healthy for his career but Gretzky was unique. No one saw the ice like he did. No one created plays from nothing like Wayne.

When you look at Pts/G, only 2 with over 1000 points are close to 2, all the rest are below 1.5. Gretzky at 1.921 and Mario at 1.883. Pretty amazing to think they were that much better than all those before them or since.

In terms of skill, they are that far ahead of the rest, that close to each other and played very differently than each other. Had Mario played the same number of games, He would have likely been the all time scoring leader but Wayne would still be the all time points leader.

I don't think we'll ever again, see that level of skill or those types of numbers these 2 produced.
I think Sid gets a little disrespected all time. Great numbers dont tell all of his story.

Hes never had a Kurri or Jagr.

He plays a full 200' game. I cant think of 1 league leading goal scorer that can say that.

Adjusted stats dont show minutes played. Sid hovers around 20 mins while Mario and Gretz clocked in around 25 to 30. Plus they always played the full 2 mins of the PP.

Team by team the NHL has better goalies and defenses than ever.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

In honor of all-star weekend, check out the 42 second mark. Even in an all-star game, the fluidity of what 66 does there is just mindbending.

And it wasn't like with Datsyuk, Malkin or Benn, where you might get one or two of these a year. 66 did something like this once or twice a week.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK

In honor of all-star weekend, check out the 42 second mark. Even in an all-star game, the fluidity of what 66 does there is just mindbending.

And it wasn't like with Datsyuk, Malkin or Benn, where you might get one or two of these a year. 66 did something like this once or twice a week.

Yep. Exactly.

And the announcer's words sum it up perfectly...

"UNBELIEVABLE...but then again, it's Mario."

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
I lived in Cole Harbour for several years and got to watch Crosby as he was going through the minors until he left for St Mary's. Then he returned to play in the Q where I saw him quite a bit. Dominate player in so many ways back then, as he still is today. Having moved around a bit, got to see Gretsky play several games as well as Mario.

Crosby is certainly a great player and will have some rarefied points totals when he retires but Gretsky still would be the best that has ever played. Mario was without question right up there with him. Better than Gretzky in some respects but just slightly behind him overall. Mario might have beaten some of his records had he stayed healthy for his career but Gretzky was unique. No one saw the ice like he did. No one created plays from nothing like Wayne.

When you look at Pts/G, only 2 with over 1000 points are close to 2, all the rest are below 1.5. Gretzky at 1.921 and Mario at 1.883. Pretty amazing to think they were that much better than all those before them or since.

In terms of skill, they are that far ahead of the rest, that close to each other and played very differently than each other. Had Mario played the same number of games, He would have likely been the all time scoring leader but Wayne would still be the all time points leader.

I don't think we'll ever again, see that level of skill or those types of numbers these 2 produced.

And just to add to this, those two are the only players to average over 2 pts/gm over the course of a season, let alone approach it in their entire careers. Basically their career average is the best/career season for the likes of Stevie Y and others of his level. It's absurd when you think about it, actually, how far above the rest those two were.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Go to Mark Madden's twitter page and get the link to newly posted video of Mario's first intrasquad scrimmage in 1984. I don't have to watch because I remember it well.;)

El Nino 22

May 3, 2014
Minnesota
Go to Mark Madden's twitter page and get the link to newly posted video of Mario's first intrasquad scrimmage in 1984. I don't have to watch because I remember it well.;)

That is pretty cool, thanks for telling me. He was already the best player on the ice it looks like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad