Longtime Former NFL Coach Dennis Green dies at age 67

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This guy did it all without a franchise QB at the helm for most of his career.

Was a great coordinator in San Fran, great coach in Minnesota

Rest in peace my friend

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
How did it take so long in this thread to post the video?

I loved Dennis Green. Passion, and awesome players coach.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As a Bear fan I respected his time as Vikes coach

I will always have soft spot in heart for him because of 2006 rant ,, One of the most amusing moments in NFL

But it must be said that Vikes in 98 partly faltered because of poor decisions by him in 4th qtr vs Falcons. Vikes went ultra conservative late in game and gave Falcons chance to come back and tie it

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
He always seemed like a father figure that happened to be an NFL coach. I never heard anything about players unhappy playing for him (I'm sure there is someone out there who didn't have a great experience with him), he gave a lot of guys a second chance.

That 1998 Vikings team, wow. I still can't believe they didn't even make it to the Superbowl.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The 98 Falcons were pretty good group themselves ,, I feel a lot of people really underrate that team. They did finish 14-2

The Falcons sunk the next seasons due to declining play from Chandler (+ injuries starting to pile up for him) , Loss of Anderson and just no depth to handle injuries

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
But it must be said that Vikes in 98 partly faltered because of poor decisions by him in 4th qtr vs Falcons. Vikes went ultra conservative late in game and gave Falcons chance to come back and tie it

Not quite sure I agree with that.

If you go back to the notes on that game, Gary Anderson missed that FG with 2 minutes left in the game, and both teams kept striking each other including OT. Robert Griffith dropped an INT that would have later sealed the game, and Cunningham had thrown a deep ball to Moss on the play before the Anderson FG attempt and a few more in OT.

Reading the description of the game again, there were a lot of opportunities:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Anderson's_missed_field_goal_in_the_1999_NFC_Championship_Game

The most noteworthy comment came from the GM - "Our team played the rest of the game as if it was in shock that our automatic kicker had missed at the most critical time."

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Kinda lost these days, but Green really put together a nice roster here. One of the first steps into getting the Cardinals franchise out of the gutter.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Not quite sure I agree with that.

If you go back to the notes on that game, Gary Anderson missed that FG with 2 minutes left in the game, and both teams kept striking each other including OT. Robert Griffith dropped an INT that would have later sealed the game, and Cunningham had thrown a deep ball to Moss on the play before the Anderson FG attempt and a few more in OT.

Reading the description of the game again, there were a lot of opportunities:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Anderson's_missed_field_goal_in_the_1999_NFC_Championship_Game

The most noteworthy comment came from the GM - "Our team played the rest of the game as if it was in shock that our automatic kicker had missed at the most critical time."

There was also taking a knee to go to OT with 45 seconds left and the best offense in NFL history (at the time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad