Longest suspensions in NHL history

Wetcoaster

They need to do some fact checking:
16 games - Eddie Shore, Boston, 1933, for hitting Toronto's Ace Bailey over the head with his stick. ????????????

Shore hit Bailey from behind upending him and Bailey fractured his skull going into convulsions and nearly dying.
Then, on December 12, 1933, during the second period of a game between Toronto and the Bruins in Boston, hometown hero Eddie Shore was checked hard by Toronto defenseman Red Horner while carrying the puck into the Leafs end. "Eddie Shore was having a very frustrating night," explained Red Horner. "He was playing a great game but it wasn't getting him or the Bruins anywhere. They couldn't score on us. (Coach) Dick Irvin sent out King Clancy and myself and Ace Bailey up front to kill off the (two) penalties. Bailey was a very expert stickhandler, and he ragged the puck for awhile. Eventually, Shore got his stick on the puck and made a nice rush deep into our end. Shore came down my side and I gave him a very good hipcheck." As play moved back into the Boston end, Shore, dazed by the hit and searching for revenge, skated wildly towards Ace Bailey, likely thinking that he was charging Horner. "He wanted to get even for the check I'd just put on him. He thought Bailey was me. He charged into Bailey on an angle from the side. He hit Bailey and flipped him in the air, just like a rag doll. Bailey landed on his head just a few feet from where I was standing. Bailey hit the ice and he went into some kind of convulsion. I thought to myself, 'That's the end of Ace!'" Bailey lost consciousness and began bleeding from a head wound. Horner, sickened by the sight of his injured teammate, coldcocked Shore, knocking him to the ice unconscious. "Shore skated away in a very nonchalant fashion. I wasn't going to let him get away with that, so I went after him."
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/spot_oneononep197502.htm

15 games - (3 regular-season, 12 playoff games) Maurice Richard, Montreal, March 1955, for striking linesman Cliff Thompson during a scuffle with Boston's Hal Laycoe.

Scuffle with Laycoe????????? That is like calling WWII a minor disagreement between a few countries.

Laycoe had high sticked Richard opening up a large gash on his head that was streaming blood. A delayed penalty was called and after the whistle Richard skated up to the ref and showed him the gash.

He then skated towards Laycoe who dropped his stick and gloves expecting a fight when Richard lashed out with his stick hitting Laycoe on the face and shoulders. The linesmen tried to restrain him without success and he went back at Laycoe again picking up his stick that he had dropped when grabbed by the linesmen and only stopped when he broke his stick over Laycoe's back. The linesmen grabbed him again and again he broke away, picked up anothe stick and broke that stick over Laycoe as well.

Linesman Cliff Thompson again grabbed Richard and this time he lashed out with his fists - KO'ing Thompson with two shots to the face.

Richard was assessed a match penalty for deliberate attempt to injure and then had to face a disciplinary hearing. It was the second time that season that Richard had hit an official. He was a repeat offender.

Here is the actual ruling from then NHL President Clarence Campbell who noted that Richard had resorted to his stick (recovering it several times to pursue the attack) in attacking another player and had punched out another official earlier in the season:

I have no hesitation in coming to the conclusion that the attack on Laycoe was not only deliberate but persisted in the face of all authority and that the referee acted with proper judgment in accordance with the rules in awarding a match penalty. I am also satisfied that Richard did not strike linesman Thompson as a result of a mistake or accident as suggested. There is singularly little conflict in the evidence as to important relevant facts. Assistance can also be obtained from an incident that occurred less than three months ago in which the pattern of conduct of Richard was almost identical, including his constant resort to the recovery of his stick to pursue his opponent, as well as flouting the authority of and striking officials. On the previous occasion he was fortunate that teammates and officials were more effective in preventing him from doing injury to anyone and the penalty was more lenient in consequence. At the time he was warned there must be no further incident. It was too bad that his teammates did not assist officials instead of interfering with them. The time for probationary lenience has passed, whether this type of conduct is the product of temperamental instability or willful defiance of the authority of the game does not matter. Richard will be suspended from all games both league and playoff for the balance of the current season.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Scuffle with Laycoe????????? That is like calling WWII a minor disagreement between a few countries.

Laycoe had high sticked Richard opening up a large gash on his head that was streaming blood. A delayed penalty was called and after the whistle Richard skated up to the ref and showed him the gash.

He then skated towards Laycoe who dropped his stick and gloves expecting a fight when Richard lashed out with his stick hitting Laycoe on the face and shoulders. The linesmen tried to restrain him without success and he went back at Laycoe again picking up his stick that he had dropped when grabbed by the linesmen and only stopped when he broke his stick over Laycoe's back. The linesmen grabbed him again and again he broke away, picked up anothe stick and broke that stick over Laycoe as well.

Linesman Cliff Thompson again grabbed Richard and this time he lashed out with his fists - KO'ing Thompson with two shots to the face.

Richard was assessed a match penalty for deliberate attempt to injure and then had to face a disciplinary hearing. It was the second time that season that Richard had hit an official. He was a repeat offender.

Anybody know if there's some video footage of this on-line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad