Long term, what do you see the Avs doing at centre?

Burnaby_Joe*

Stastny - Duchy - PAP
XXX - MacKinnon - XXX
Landeskog - ROR - XXX
Bordeleau - Heard - Malone

That's the forward groups I think we have three years from now. McGinn, Downie and Sgarbossa might fill in the other holes, possibly Hishon or Agozzino too. I could see Landy and ROR with Mack or on their own line too.

That first line would be awesome though.

I doubt Landeskog will be on our 3rd line in 3 years :)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I just can't see ROR taking a pay downgrade and being switched to wing without testing the market.

It's a nice idea that he stays and does whatever they want him to and they have these sick top 6 lines, but I just can't see it. Sorry.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Somewhere in the not so realistic future I'd like to see this:

Radar-Duchene-PAP
Stastny-Mac-Landeskog

If Stastny and ROR do remotely good on wings that can be one of the best if not the best top 6 in the NHL. I wouldn't mind them trying it out.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
What I'm Hoping: ROR excels on Dutchy's wing and we lock him up long term for 5-6 Million, Staz is packaged for a D-man for EJ

What I'm expecting: Both are traded for D help and/or top 6 winger.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Forsberg can be ok with switching positions from center to LW, ROR should take it or leave it.

He shouldn't have problems switching to wing, but whether or not he will actually do well on wing remains to be seen.

But if Avs can find a solid 3rd line center, someone who can actually jump up to top lines in case of injuries to Duchene or Mackinnon, i'd like to see the Avs trade both Stastny and ROR in a package deal for a d-man. That package can actually get a top d-man in return.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
I'd rather not trade any of them.

It gives us the option, if one of the centres is losing a lot of faceoffs we can switch the other in. Maybe just for the night, maybe against certain centremen, even against certain teams.

Use the other on the wing, he may be out of his natural position but even so is still better than most wingers we have/are available to us.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Wasn't real sure where to post this, because I didn't think it warranted its own thread, but here's some quotes (and blog post from Dater) from Ryan O'Reilly about moving from Center to Left Wing

O'Reilly Talks About Moving to Left Wing

What was your reaction to Patrick Roy saying you’ll move from center to left wing: “I’m excited about it. I’m looking at it as a good new challenge for me. I mean, I’ll be playing with two great players (Matt Duchene at center and P.A. Parenteau at right wing). I’ve played on the wing before, with Canada in the World Championships (skating with Jeff Skinner and Jordan Staal) so I’m not totally unfamiliar with it.â€

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Great to hear from ROR and he sounds excited about it. Not like he'd come out to the media and say he hates the idea but his comments here have me feeling positive about the situation. I hope it works out for him and the team going forward, maybe a long term solution can be worked out.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Glad AD got on interviewing ROR and getting his thoughts on his new role. I'm really excited about ROR playing LW on the top line and seeing what his skill set will bring to it.

As for our 4C situation, Long-term I don't see either ROR or Stats playing a 3C role. I see Dutchy and Mac as our top 2C with ROR on the wing and Stats moved.

After the 13/14 season I see the lines as:

ROR-Dutchy-PAP
Tangs-Mac-Landy
McGinn-Hishon-Downie
McLeod-Malone-Boardy

Hurry up October.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Glad AD got on interviewing ROR and getting his thoughts on his new role. I'm really excited about ROR playing LW on the top line and seeing what his skill set will bring to it.

As for our 4C situation, Long-term I don't see either ROR or Stats playing a 3C role. I see Dutchy and Mac as our top 2C with ROR on the wing and Stats moved.

After the 13/14 season I see the lines as:

ROR-Dutchy-PAP
Tangs-Mac-Landy
McGinn-Hishon-Downie
McLeod-Malone-Boardy

Hurry up October.

I like those lines. I think the 3C spot will be between Sgarbossa and Hishon. If Sgarbossa has a solid season in the AHL and looks good in his call-ups the spot will be his.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Great to hear from ROR and he sounds excited about it. Not like he'd come out to the media and say he hates the idea but his comments here have me feeling positive about the situation. I hope it works out for him and the team going forward, maybe a long term solution can be worked out.

Yeah, none of the quote really were anything truly telling besides the one where he talks about talking to Roy, and how positive he came away from that experience IMO.

The rest is good to hear but could just as easily be fodder for the media. He didn't have to go that extra bit.

What is your feeling of Roy being the new coach?

“I mean, it’s great. He’s all about winning. I’ve talked with him and I came away feeling really good. He brings so much passion to the game. It can’t help but rub off on you.”

I liked this too,

You went through a contract impasse with the team last year and missed a bunch of the season. How different is your mindset now as opposed to last year at this time?

“Well, it’s much more comfortable. This time, I know I’ll be at training camp, training at altitude early, with my teammates. I know I can just concentrate on hockey and nothing else. What happened happened, but I’m just glad it’s behind me. I just want to win with the Avalanche. Last year, on top of things, there was the lockout and that made everything tougher for everybody. It’s nice not to have to worry about that too.”

SJ has had success with a bunch of centers moving from center to wing and back. Thornton, Marleau, Pavelksi, Couture, and I think one of their younger players was a natural center as well. All three besides Thornton go back and fourth quite a bit.

Ahh, Wingels and Hertl are both centers as well. Look at their roster, I think they only have about three or four natural wingers on the roster.

The big guys are the better example though.

It's good stuff to hear O'Reilly say, lets hope there is more of it.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Stastny will be gone next off-season, so only 3 left. It should be solved in next 3 years, when ROR is UFA. Hopefully he's fine playing left wing and stays long-term. That's what I'm hoping.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Why wouldn't he be? I mean, If I was ROR I would be very happy. Playing with Duchene and Parenteau he's going to get a lot of playing time with top players in Colorado. Most likely ROR will put up more points with these guys as well, so he's going to get more money etc.. Everyone will be happy, ROR and his pappa as well.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Longer term will reflect a lot of what happens this year. If our top three offensive lines flourish, then we could well and truly stay pat with where we are right now. I also think one of Smith, Hishon or Sgarbossa will come along in the next year or two.

On defense, I think a lot depends on the progression of one of Barrie, Elliott or Siemens. Honestly, I thought Rutkowski was going to be good for us, but alas - no. I notice Boston have not renewed Cohen's contract. I'd love for him to be bought back into our system in Lake Erie.

Long term, a D-core of Johnson, Wilson, Siemens, Barrie, Bigras & maybe Elliott is satisfactory. It's just what we have to do in the meantime, while they are developing which is the key, and I suppose Hejda, Sarich & "possibly" Benoit are satisfactory fillers.

On offense, people shouldn't forget Tanguay. He's no plug, and with Landeskog and Stazz, is good for almost a point - per - game for the next 3-4 years imo. He hasn't played with that level of talent in a long time.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Why wouldn't he be? I mean, If I was ROR I would be very happy. Playing with Duchene and Parenteau he's going to get a lot of playing time with top players in Colorado. Most likely ROR will put up more points with these guys as well, so he's going to get more money etc.. Everyone will be happy, ROR and his pappa as well.

I agree, it makes the most logical sense that this is the best situation for him. Selfishly it is nice to hear the excitement too.

I'm positive on the long term outlook for the core. I wonder if they are going to go after a big UFA next summer though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->