Long Term Contender

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
I know it sucks right now that we have our backs against the wall and odds are we are getting eliminated. But remember MB came into the orginization with a long term mindset. We had a couple wholes In our lineup that he didnt address at the deadline BECAUSE the long term mindset I know it sucks that we very well might lose to a team that we are waaaayy better then them on paper. That being said I am excited the young guys got the playoff exerience and we are going to be a hell of a good team in 2-3 years

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Pretty much, it was never about this year, regardless of how well the team played.

Or even next year.

It's about 2014-15 and beyond when Galchenyuk is hopefully rounding into form as a legit #1 C and another wave of prospects is established on the roster.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
wasted season, we should have tanked.

Wish we did.

C8VujTG.gif

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Pretty much, it was never about this year, regardless of how well the team played.

Or even next year.

It's about 2014-15 and beyond when Galchenyuk is hopefully rounding into form as a legit #1 C and another wave of prospects is established on the roster.

Totally true, for purely selfish reasons I wanted to see more habs hockey this spring.

Lots of work to do, but less than this time last year.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
We finished 15th last year.
I came into this season hoping for 6-8th spot.
We got 2nd which is already more than I could ask.
Playoff is just an extra, I never expected us to be contenders.
Bergevin isn't gonna get a 15th place team to contenders under 1 offseason, no one can.
I'm just happy about our promising young players and our bright future, hoping we can build a contending team for years to come in our near future.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and Tinordi (all future core pieces) got valuable playoff experience to build on and this draft should be a good one. Norris and Calder candidate.

Bergevin will no doubt make changes this summer to fill what he saw as team needs.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I expected us to make the playoffs, seeding in between 5-8. Though my expectations weren't high. When we played the way we did throughout the season, I really got the feeling we have a potentially cup contending team. Obviously, our weakness came out. I don't think we're far off. I think we've shown great improvement. While I get the impression we'll get eliminated from the playoffs soon, I did want us to go far, yet it won't be a big deal. It's been truely a great experience for many of our players who haven't had a playoff game. And allows us to see what we really need.

That's true, and grittier anybody like the idea of a Torres and or clutterbuck?

Yep. If we can get any of the two, I'd be glad. I don't care if people hate Torres. Yes he does dirty ****, yes he has a bad rep. But he gets **** done, he plays well as a body in front of the net, grinds down opposition and brings it during playoffs. He fights, he's tough and not only gets in peoples' faces but really pisses them off too. He keeps other teams in check just by being there because of all this. We've been wanting a tough player that can play, is gritty and can put opposition in their plays. I don't care how dirty he is, get him, we need it. He's the closest there is to not being a goon but being an enforcer that can play (kind of). Enough with being the pushover team.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
I'm just happy we made the playoffs and became the division champs. How much more could you ask for after such a putrid season as the last one?

In MB I trust. He's the best man for this job. He knows what he's doing.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I know it sucks right now that we have our backs against the wall and odds are we are getting eliminated. But remember MB came into the orginization with a long term mindset. We had a couple wholes In our lineup that he didnt address at the deadline BECAUSE the long term mindset I know it sucks that we very well might lose to a team that we are waaaayy better then them on paper. That being said I am excited the young guys got the playoff exerience and we are going to be a hell of a good team in 2-3 years

We aren't way better than Ottawa on paper at all. We did what we do just about every year. Got hot at the start of the season then started to slump at the midway point. (Or on a shortened season, the end of the year.) If this was a full 82 game season, we would have been battling for 8th spot like we always do.

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
We aren't way better than Ottawa on paper at all. We did what we do just about every year. Got hot at the start of the season then started to slump at the midway point. (Or on a shortened season, the end of the year.) If this was a full 82 game season, we would have been battling for 8th spot like we always do.

Agree to the slumping but we have played good in post-season. With plays like in games 1,2,4 we would have won the game no doubt. But we have had some extraordinary bad luck in post-season.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The declining play of Gorges and Desharnais, coupled with their long-term contracts, loom as dark clouds on the horizon.

We also need to replace/resign Ryder this offseason, and possibly Markov, Bouillon, and Gionta next season, there is a lot of work to do.

PricePkPatch*

The declining play of Gorges and Desharnais, coupled with their long-term contracts, loom as dark clouds on the horizon.

We also need to replace/resign Ryder this offseason, and possibly Markov, Bouillon, and Gionta next season, there is a lot of work to do.

I doubt DD and Gorges will repeat their poor season. It was a slump, nothing more.

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
DD is there to eaz Gally to be a top2 center. Gally is too sqyishy to play as a top2 center right now. I mean just look how he avoids contact. He has the strength and body to be a Habs new Crosby but not now. He'll play a heck of a season next year and even better after that and that time DD's contract is almost out and it's very movable I think. I'm not saying that DD is throwing hes body around nor that he's the best bet for the spot right now but more of a safe bet. I think DD played fairly well last night. But after Plecs and DD's contracts are out we have 2-3 very good centerman ready to step up and with 3,5mil cap hit it's movable no doubt. But that doesn't take away that fact that he's been underachieving this season in regular and post-season and I do hope that it was just a slump and he'll bounce next season. Actually both DD and MaxPac have been only shadows from last year.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
"What are we doing this year Brain?"
"Same thing we do every year Pinky use the same crap long term excuses to justify sitting on our collective a$$ at the deadline."
"Won't we get quickly eliminated Brain?"
"Who care my boss get to print money either way!"
"During the off season we get bigger and meaner right Brain?"
"If I remember to get around to I got a foursome to plan for next week a fishing trip for next month... Am a pretty busy guy Pinky!"
"Will we get a Goaler who does not crap the bed with 20 seconds left in the third Brain?"
"Don't be ridiculous Pinky we are tied to that sinking ship for the next five years!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->