#1 Overall vs #3 and #5

• #1 Overall

• #3 and #5

Results are only viewable after voting.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Unless they also want to take some cap off of our hands, Dubas says thanks but no thanks. An instant top six forward on a 3 year ELC provides us with much better options.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
No GM would trade 1st overall, too much risk for not enough reward.

You’re not the first to mention the clubs “appearance” when trading #1 overall. Why a good GM would give one rats ass about your opinion of him is beyond me.
It’s a results based business. If you make a blockbuster, you don’t pine over the player you traded away. You do what you think makes your team better.

Being afraid to “look bad” is a good way to always be in the middle of the pack at best.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You’re not the first to mention the clubs “appearance” when trading #1 overall. Why a good GM would give one rats ass about your opinion of him is beyond me.
It’s a results based business. If you make a blockbuster, you don’t pine over the player you traded away. You do what you think makes your team better.

Being afraid to “look bad” is a good way to always be in the middle of the pack at best.
So how come the 1st overall pick has not been traded since the 2003 draft which was 17 years ago.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This is with the benefit of hindsight being 20/20 but if the 1st overall pick was going to be traded in a previous draft it would have been in 2012, considering among the top 5 selections Morgan Rielly turned out to be the best player selected.
ok

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada

That is the world we now live in, being in the middle is a good safe space.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Wendel Clark.
Auston Matthews.

How often in the life of a franchise does it pick 1OA?

I would take my chances by keeping the pick rather than taking it away.
To be fair, how often has the #1 pick not gone to a team that isn't absolutely shite.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
To be fair, how often has the #1 pick not gone to a team that isn't absolutely shite.

It's exceedingly rare.

Montreal: Lafleur in 1972, 5 Stanley Cups followed
Philadelphia: Bridgman in 1975, 1 Stanley Cup with Bridgman as 3rd leading playoff scorer
Montreal: Wickenheiser in 1980, no major benefit
Boston: Kluzak in 1982, knee injuries cost this being a huge boost

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Unless #1 is the Crosby/McDavid type, you take 3 & 5.

Most likely, ya.

More than likely Dorion won't be calling and will stick with their #3 & #5 OA picks. I don't think Dubas answers the call if Dorian calls though. ;)

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Posted this list in the trade rumours thread. More often than not 1>3+5 and especially when there is a consensus #1. Given our limited cap space, a star on an ELC is just what we need.

Last 25 1st, 3rd & 5th overall picks.

Jack HughesKirby DachAlex Turcotte
Rasmus DahlinJesperi KotkaniemiBarrett Hayton
Nico HischierMiro HeiskanenElias Pettersson
Auston MatthewsPierre-Luc DuboisOlli Juolevi
Connor McDavidDylan StromeNoah Hanifin
Aaron EkbladLeon DraisaitlMichael Dal Colle
Nathan MacKinnonJonathan DrouinElias Lindholm
Nail YakupovAlex GalchenyukMorgan Rielly
Ryan Nugent-HopkinsJonathan HuberdeauRyan Strome
Taylor HallErik GudbransonNino Niederreiter
John TavaresMatt DucheneBrayden Schenn
Steven StamkosZach BogosianLuke Schenn
Patrick KaneKyle TurrisKarl Alzner
Erik JohnsonJonathan ToewsPhil Kessel
Sidney CrosbyJack JohnsonCarey Price
Alex OvechkinCam BarkerBlake Wheeler
Marc-Andre FleuryNathan HortonThomas Vanek
Rick NashJay BouwmeesterRyan Whitney
Ilya KovalchukAlexander SvitovStanislav Chistov
Rick DiPietroMarian GaborikRaffi Torres
Patrik StefanHenrik SedinTim Connolly
Vincent LecavalierBrad StuartVitaly Vishnevski
Joe ThorntonOlli JokinenEric Brewer
Chris PhillipsJ.P. DumontRic Jackman
Bryan BerardAki BergDaymond Langkow
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Given how deep this draft is, I think I'd take #3 & #5 still. One of those picks could be converted to a good defender, and we need as many good quality ELCs as we can get given our cap situation.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Given how deep this draft is, I think I'd take #3 & #5 still. One of those picks could be converted to a good defender, and we need as many good quality ELCs as we can get given our cap situation.

It's also a bit flaw narrowing down the 3rd and 5th picks specifically .. A fairer analysis should be seeing what picks 3-6 have been in comparison to #1 which can show you the kinds of players available at those picks.

Needless to say the 1st OA has been the preference overall but in the last 10-15 years we see a lot of 3/5 pick be superior.

I guess it depends on where you rank Laf in this group of #1 OA's.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's also a bit flaw narrowing down the 3rd and 5th picks specifically .. A fairer analysis should be seeing what picks 3-6 have been in comparison to #1 which can show you the kinds of players available at those picks.

Needless to say the 1st OA has been the preference overall but in the last 10-15 years we see a lot of 3/5 pick be superior.

I guess it depends on where you rank Laf in this group of #1 OA's.
A previous draft I can think of right now where those picked 3-5 turned out to be better than the #1 was when Toronto selected Morgan Rielly 5th overall and Edmonton selected Nail Yakupov 1st overall in 2012. In fact it's fair to say among just the top 5 picks Rielly turned out to be the best player.

The other draft I can think of is 2014 since Leon Draisaitl who Edmonton selected 3rd overall turned out a lot better compared to Aaron Ekblad who was selected 1st overall by Florida and Sam Reinhart who Buffalo selected 2nd overall.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
A previous draft I can think of right now where those picked 3-5 turned out to be better than the #1 was when Toronto selected Morgan Rielly 5th overall and Edmonton selected Nail Yakupov 1st overall in 2012. In fact it's fair to say among just the top 5 picks Rielly turned out to be the best player.

The other draft I can think of is 2014 since Leon Draisaitl who Edmonton selected 3rd overall turned out a lot better compared to Aaron Ekblad who was selected 1st overall by Florida and Sam Reinhart who Buffalo selected 2nd overall.

Were I to trade #1 for #3 and #5, I know I am passing on the best player available. That’s not the question. At 3 and 5, I’m trying to fill two roster spots with “next level down” talent, say like a RHD and a LW?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Were I to trade #1 for #3 and #5, I know I am passing on the best player available. That’s not the question. At 3 and 5, I’m trying to fill two roster spots with “next level down” talent, say like a RHD and a LW?
I was just responding to @BertCorbeau where in the 2012 and 2014 drafts that the best player wasn't the one who was selected 1st overall.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I take Lafreniere all day. He's the only guy I don't have questions about. He's got future superstar written all over him and would fit perfectly with Matthews. He also jumps in the NHL next season no question, right in time for the Leafs cup window.

Have a look at recent previous drafts. Once you get past #1 there is still a lot of risk in the top 5. Picking a Puljujarvi and Juolevi would be devastating, not to mention handing a superstar to Ottawa for the next 7+ years. Let Ottawa screw up the picks and Lafreniere/Matthews can haunt them for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
just a thought

IF the Leafs receive the 1stOA

trade Nylander + to LA for 2nd overall(draft Byfield)
trade Johnsson to Anaheim for Kesler's contract
that's 10.3m out the door plus 6m+ for LTIR
sign Pietrangelo

Lafrenier Matty Marner
Hyman JT Robertson
Mikheyev Byfield Kapanen
Clifford/Korshkov Spezza Engvall

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
We win 1st, my goal is to get a good dman and Drysdale.

Detroit: Hronek and #4
Ottawa: Brannstrom and #3 OR #5

Plan B: is either BPA or Sanderson.

I try to avoid forwards, like the plague.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->