#1 Overall vs #3 and #5

• #1 Overall

• #3 and #5

Results are only viewable after voting.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Depends how they feel about who they could get at #5 .. If they feel that one of the top-ranked D-man has top pairing potential, a combo of that plus Stuetzle/Byfield could be worthwhile.

Then again as Stephen mentions you'd hate to see a divisional rival land an elite talent like Laf, who would likely torch the Leafs for years to come.

It's an interesting proposition because the Leafs have a lot of elite game breakers up front already, so while Stuetzle and Byfield aren't in Laf's tier they would be in a great position for success and positive development on the Leafs roster.

Then again acquiring Laf means the Leafs can explore moving one of their big names for a touted d-man.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd probably opt to retain the pick. Being able to draft first overall would be an unexpected development. Still, I'd be hesitant to pass on that opportunity. Lafreniere makes a current forward expendable from both a roster and cap viewpoint.

I don't know that such a proposal would be on the table though. The two teams being divisional rivals plays its part in that. Even if they aren't in direct competition right now, this kind of trade would figure to have long term effects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Its not your fault

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
Call me stupid but isnt our first rounder gone because of Marleau? This seems like the Kessel days when I didn't care what first rounder we got because he is gone regardless.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Call me stupid but isnt our first rounder gone because of Marleau? This seems like the Kessel days when I didn't care what first rounder we got because he is gone regardless.

not quite yet, that pick is top 10 protected and there is a chance (extremely long odds) that the Leafs could still be awarded the #1 overall due to a weird fluke

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The Leafs have a lot of building blocks in place, and generally I think teams positioned like that benefit more from the longer term utility of adding good prospects to supplement what they already have. Pittsburgh and Chicago for example, they've been able to plug and chug with prospects over the past decade pretty well, and that's a big help with the cap. On the other hand, maybe you just take Lafreniere and look at trading Marner for that top pair RD. Guess it just depends on what the scouts think.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
3 and 5 easily for me. Laf will be imo a slightly better player than marner. He will be an elite talent but wont be the clear cut best winger in the game. He will come right away to the NHL and take a huge contract like our other forwards immediately once an RFA.

Getting Byfield+Drsydale sets us for 5 years from now. Worst case situation as a leaf fan. Matthews walks as a UFA to zona and rielly walks as UFA to Nucks. We would have a guy who should be as good as JT (ppg center) to step up and take over those minutes in the case 34 leaves. Drysdale is RHD and would answer all our questions about our defense. I love rielly but think drysdale has a higher ceiling than him with his higher defensive IQ. Having these two can set us up to contend for 10+ years. Laf would result in extremely difficult decisions needing to be made and in the mentioned worst case scenario he would not be able to take over Matthews spot and be our franchise 1C (not that byfield will be as good as 34 but he will be a center who has size and ability to handle tough matchups while giving ppg production hopefully).

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Depends how they feel about who they could get at #5 .. If they feel that one of the top-ranked D-man has top pairing potential, a combo of that plus Stuetzle/Byfield could be worthwhile.

Then again as Stephen mentions you'd hate to see a divisional rival land an elite talent like Laf, who would likely torch the Leafs for years to come.

It's an interesting proposition because the Leafs have a lot of elite game breakers up front already, so while Stuetzle and Byfield aren't in Laf's tier they would be in a great position for success and positive development on the Leafs roster.

Then again acquiring Laf means the Leafs can explore moving one of their big names for a touted d-man.
This is near to my own opinion. Also, not having to have another elite contract in three years would be helpful under the cap.
I love the “best player available”, but taking into consideration of where the Leafs are in their “curve”, I would be tempted to go with the 3 and 5.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Scenario... The leafs win first overall. Dorian calls and offers #3 and #5 for it. What do you do?

I'd have a long hard think about it for sure Lafreniere or Byfield would be tough to give up, the Leafs are already pretty deep up front, but adding one of those two guys would be crazy

However, the possibility of being able to pick-up a Jamie Drysdale, plus an elite forward like Stutzle(think Mitch with Nylanders speed) or even a little off the board for Jack Quinn(think Hyman with truly elite offensive skills) in the same draft is almost too good to be true

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Posted this list in the trade rumours thread. More often than not 1>3+5 and especially when there is a consensus #1. Given our limited cap space, a star on an ELC is just what we need.

Last 25 1st, 3rd & 5th overall picks.

Jack HughesKirby DachAlex Turcotte
Rasmus DahlinJesperi KotkaniemiBarrett Hayton
Nico HischierMiro HeiskanenElias Pettersson
Auston MatthewsPierre-Luc DuboisOlli Juolevi
Connor McDavidDylan StromeNoah Hanifin
Aaron EkbladLeon DraisaitlMichael Dal Colle
Nathan MacKinnonJonathan DrouinElias Lindholm
Nail YakupovAlex GalchenyukMorgan Rielly
Ryan Nugent-HopkinsJonathan HuberdeauRyan Strome
Taylor HallErik GudbransonNino Niederreiter
John TavaresMatt DucheneBrayden Schenn
Steven StamkosZach BogosianLuke Schenn
Patrick KaneKyle TurrisKarl Alzner
Erik JohnsonJonathan ToewsPhil Kessel
Sidney CrosbyJack JohnsonCarey Price
Alex OvechkinCam BarkerBlake Wheeler
Marc-Andre FleuryNathan HortonThomas Vanek
Rick NashJay BouwmeesterRyan Whitney
Ilya KovalchukAlexander SvitovStanislav Chistov
Rick DiPietroMarian GaborikRaffi Torres
Patrik StefanHenrik SedinTim Connolly
Vincent LecavalierBrad StuartVitaly Vishnevski
Joe ThorntonOlli JokinenEric Brewer
Chris PhillipsJ.P. DumontRic Jackman
Bryan BerardAki BergDaymond Langkow
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Dubas laughs at him and ends the phone call. There is a reason why the 1st overall pick has not been traded since the 2003 draft and do you really want to be the team who starts trading it again? Never mind to a division rival and the team who happens to play in the same Province.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You Laf at them.

It's not a bad offer and I wouldn't be shocked if Stutzle and Dyrsdale or some combo worked out better, but Drysdale is the only D worth taking high and he would take some time anyway. We don't have a LW stud, so he'll help a lot right now, especially in a cap crunch.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Dubas laughs at him and ends the phone call. There is a reason why the 1st overall pick has not been traded since the 2003 draft and do you really want to be the team who starts trading it again? Never mind to a division rival and the team who happens to play in the same Province.

Exactly this. One GM used to love trading out of the number one spot all the time and that was Rick Dudley back in 2002 and 2003. He is no longer an NHL GM and hasn't been for quite some time.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly this. One GM used to love trading out of the number one spot all the time and that was Rick Dudley back in 2002 and 2003. He is no longer an NHL GM and hasn't been for quite some time.
The other GM who traded with Rick Dudley for the 1st overall pick in 2002 was Doug MacLean and he hasn't been a GM since being fired by Columbus. I only bring him up since MacLean would always say how he traded up to get Rick Nash every chance he could.

Reactions: qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
3 and 5.

This team doesn’t need a star winger. We need solid depth at a reasonable price for the next few contending years. 3 and 5 can give you what Laf can't.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The other GM who traded with Rick Dudley for the 1st overall pick in 2002 was Doug MacLean and he hasn't been a GM since being fired by Columbus. I only bring him up since MacLean would always say how he traded up to get Rick Nash every chance he could.

Keep in mind the draft lotto is a new format, and a team like the Leafs winning the lotto would be somewhat unprecedented

Those teams that win 1st OA have a lot of holes to fill, typically key cornerstone pieces .. The Leafs have those already in place. One more would be great, but you would have to wonder if having to very good players (a step down) would be best. Especially if one can be a top end defensemen.

It's an interesting question. I'm slightly leaning towards 3rd + 5th OA .. But it's close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->