LONDON KNIGHTS vs. U MINNESOTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
In light of the Knights remarkable streak this year, I thought this would be a fun comparison. I know there's some serious trash talk on these boards between NCAA and CHL fans, but I'd like to hear opinions on who'd come out on top between the CHL's #1 squad and the NCAA numero uno.
Obviously, Minnesota has a big age advantage. They also have more drafted players on their roster than London. Could the Knights hold their own against and older squad such as the Gophers? It'd be a fun game to watch.
Let's hear some opinions... ;)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Is it because Minnesota might be a bit younger than some other NCAA powerhouses? I dunno, I haven't seen them this year. I saw Michigan on TV there though, and if the question is more like "could NCAA powerhouse X take the Knights"... oh yeah, I give it to the NCAA powerhouse. The age gap cannot possibly be overlooked. London has been powerful, but I'm yet to be convinced that they are really as powerful in an all-time historic sense as their record indicates.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
In Lewiston people been talking wat if Mainaics played UMaine? First two different styles of play and rules are differently in some ways. Then they said a seven game series most people said UMaine would win in 6 or seven. Another thing is a CHL rookie is 16-17 CHL verteran is 19-20 NCAA rookie is 18 NCAA Senoir is 21 or 22. So NCAA has the age advantage and experience. I would go with UMinn over London Knights in seven.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
SPORTSMANIAC said:
In Lewiston people been talking wat if Mainaics played UMaine? First two different styles of play and rules are differently in some ways. Then they said a seven game series most people said UMaine would win in 6 or seven. Another thing is a CHL rookie is 16-17 CHL verteran is 19-20 NCAA rookie is 18 NCAA Senoir is 21 or 22. So NCAA has the age advantage and experience. I would go with UMinn over London Knights in seven.

But what the CHL lacks in experience it makes up for in overall talent.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leachmeister2000 said:
But what the CHL lacks in experience it makes up for in overall talent.
So a team like North Dakota who has:

Zajac
Stafford
Murray
Smaby
Schneider
Porter
Massen
Jones
Greene

All these players were drafted to the NHL.....plus they are much older then the potential draft picks playing for London. North Dakota isn't even the best team in the country.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why does everyone equate age to being better? Just because a player is older it means nothing. Look at Crosby. Most would say he is arguably the top player under 20-21 range and he is only 17 right now. Yes, older players have advantages, but that should not be the sole reason why a team would win.

bruins4777*

skill: london
experience: minny
overall winner: london in my opinion.

Its two different styles, two different leagues.

Age doesn't really matter to me as much, but minny might be more disciplined? I dunno it would be fun to see though.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
the difference between a 17 and a 23 yr old is about 30 pounds. 23 yr olds are men who would have no trouble physically dominating and mandhandling 17 yr olds. the gophers physical dominance will lead to them thrashing london.

not only that, but if you were a gopher, there is no way you would let a team filled with younger players beat you. the gophers would never let it happen

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
No CHL team will have much of a chance against a team that can afford to use Kris Chucko in a limited role.

Let the Knights add in a few guys that graduated from them in the last couple of years, though, to make up the age difference, and it's another story.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
The Knights have by far the better players down the line. In 5 years time the guys from London would murder the guys from the Minny. Pherhaps the only reason they wouldn't win now is the age gap. London would probably be physical outplayed butwith the amount of skill they got i'd say could win.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Lard_Lad said:
No CHL team will have much of a chance against a team that can afford to use Kris Chucko in a limited role.

Let the Knights add in a few guys that graduated from them in the last couple of years, though, to make up the age difference, and it's another story.

Rick Nash!!!!!!!!! lol Knights win easily if he is in the line-up. :bow:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
J17ster said:
The Knights have by far the better players down the line. In 5 years time the guys from London would murder the guys from the Minny. Pherhaps the only reason they wouldn't win now is the age gap. London would probably be physical outplayed butwith the amount of skill they got i'd say could win.

This of course has nothing to do with this thread. London, RIGHT NOW, would be beat by Minnesota, based mainly on the age/maturity factor, but also because they have an excellent team, especially in goal and on the blueline.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Minnesota would pound the Knights. Minnesoda has some 21, 22 and 23 year olds. They would be playing a bunch of teens.
Exactly. They would crush them.
Every year the U of A Bears plays the Oiler rookies who are drafted by the Oilers (ie. they are likely between 18-21). Now the Oiler rookies would be older than the Knights (& probably better since they are good enough to get drafted, which not alot of Knghts would be) & the Bears time & time again crush the rookies. So given that, I would bet it would be even worse for the Knights.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Going with the age thing, Reinholz is a 79 b day.

I would say a good way to eval is when guys like Stafford, Goligoski, Hagemo all play in the junior tournament. Then realize that Stafford last year was not the best player one his team or top 3 forwards on his own team. Then it should be comprable. See how good Stafford was in the tourney then realize he was second line in NoDak.

The other thing the NCAA has in its favor is some teams fourth line. The gophers fourth line of Fleming, Smaagard and X player. Can play with the best of them. These guys are college seniors. Probally 21-22 years old. They would take advantage of younger players. They can stop the best of em(in the NCAA) and still score a few here and there. They have played more hockey and are smarter role players then most teen agers.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
The discussion of the physical element I find interesting. If you go to the NHL Central Scouting website, they list the average height/weight for each junior and college team. On average, the major junior teams are bigger, some by a considerable margin.
Is the biggest difference the KNOWLEDGE of how to use that size advantage? The fact that at 17/18 you still aren't as comfortable with your body as a 21-22 year old?

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
A few years ago, the Saskatoon Blades played an exhibition game against the University of Saskatchewan Huskies. Many people gave the exact same predictions as on here. However, the Huskies ended up beating the Blades some like 14-2, it was like watching men against boys. And no this was the Blades team from last year, it was in the late 80's or early 90's IIRC - so it wasn't like the Blades were that bad of a team, it's just that the level of college hockey is that good, be it CIS or NCAA.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
goteam said:
A few years ago, the Saskatoon Blades played an exhibition game against the University of Saskatchewan Huskies. Many people gave the exact same predictions as on here. However, the Huskies ended up beating the Blades some like 14-2, it was like watching men against boys. And no this was the Blades team from last year, it was in the late 80's or early 90's IIRC - so it wasn't like the Blades were that bad of a team, it's just that the level of college hockey is that good, be it CIS or NCAA.

That's no surprise really. Most CIS teams consist of players who played in the WHL. I think all the players on the U of A Golden Bears this year played at the WHL at some point. You add the age and experience to these players, and they'll of course be better than they were in junior.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Just a thought, but shouldn't CIS teams fare better against their NCAA competition then? Our squads routinely get thrashed when they play American schools. Considering they're made up of former major junior players, I'd think they'd be able to beat most schools, considering they're of equal age and size... :dunno:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
derbyfan said:
The discussion of the physical element I find interesting. If you go to the NHL Central Scouting website, they list the average height/weight for each junior and college team. On average, the major junior teams are bigger, some by a considerable margin.
Is the biggest difference the KNOWLEDGE of how to use that size advantage? The fact that at 17/18 you still aren't as comfortable with your body as a 21-22 year old?

You are right derbyfan, on average the CHL players are bigger, heavier and for the most part stronger. Age really doesn't come into play that much. Witness the yearly thumping Team Canada hopefuls (comprised of 17, 18 and 19 year old CHLers) give to University allstar teams who are between the ages of 20 to 25.

I for one would love to see such a game, I think it would surprsie a whole heck of alot of people.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
derbyfan said:
Just a thought, but shouldn't CIS teams fare better against their NCAA competition then? Our squads routinely get thrashed when they play American schools. Considering they're made up of former major junior players, I'd think they'd be able to beat most schools, considering they're of equal age and size... :dunno:

One its called conditioning. CIS teams do not do much of any dry land training and basically get into game shape during the course of the season. NCAA teams come to camp in shape and ready to play. Last year Western Michigan played both Western Ontario and Wilferd Laurier in December and the games were very close. It took an empty net goal to secure Western Michigan's win over Western Ontario. The conditioning advantage had by December decreased to a very small edge compared to the chasm that it is in early October.

Two, most CIS teams feature former CHL players who were at best second and third line players and bottom paring Dmen. So the CIS/NCAA exhibition games are not very indicitive of the talent levels between the CHL and the NCAA. Teams from out east and a few from out West (such as the Golden Bears) tend to take the better former CHL players and they have more success against NCAA competition because of it.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
VOB said:
One its called conditioning. CIS teams do not do much of any dry land training and basically get into game shape during the course of the season. NCAA teams come to camp in shape and ready to play. Last year Western Michigan played both Western Ontario and Wilferd Laurier in December and the games were very close. It took an empty net goal to secure Western Michigan's win over Western Ontario. The conditioning advantage had by December decreased to a very small edge compared to the chasm that it is in early October.

Two, most CIS teams feature former CHL players who were at best second and third line players and bottom paring Dmen. So the CIS/NCAA exhibition games are not very indicitive of the talent levels between the CHL and the NCAA. Teams from out east and a few from out West (such as the Golden Bears) tend to take the better former CHL players and they have more success against NCAA competition because of it.

Thanks, VOB. The scores I've seen on the USCHO website have often left me shaking my head in disbelief. On the surface, it seems a very strong argument for the NCAA being stronger. Many of these NCAA squads are comprised of former Canadian Junior "A" players who are supposed to be inferior to their M.J. counterparts.
If I'm not mistaken, VOB, you're a Michigan resident. How do you feel Plymouth, Saginaw and the like would fare against Michigan NCAA schools? I know Wayne State and the Whalers play out of the same building...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad