London Knights 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Having a hub in London makes a ton of sense. You can do virtually any of the options they've come out with, ie. host it at the Bud and stay 5 minutes away in the Delta, or do it at Western and stay in dorms. Or some variation of both. Western and the Bud are not far from each other so they could stay on campus and play at the Bud. And as Mayor Ed Holder said, lowest cases per capita in southwestern Ontario.

Reactions: zman77

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
It really doesn't matter where the hub cities are. Fans will not be allowed in. All teams will play home and away games in the same arena. There will be no advantage. As long as good tv coverage is provided it could be played in any city including a complex that does not normally host OHL hockey. Just let them play for Gaul darn sakes!
The good TV thing is important. I think a lot of fans will be ready to pay up for a streaming package so places like the Bud with good TV lighting would be nice for that.

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
With the hubs you need to think abut teams that have or can host a Memorial cup. BY that I mean the buildings need to be set to be able to social distance the players. So extra dressing rooms and stuff like lot's of room to stretch and stuff is needed. They will also look at logging/hotel side as well. Places like Kingston, Hamilton, Windsor and London would be my picks. Maybe even the Soo. They will also look at the COVID numbers in the community. In my mind the dressing room situation would be a big one. If you can get the teams a dressing room each that would be ideal. I also think they will bring the teams in as close to game time as they can safely. The less time in the building the better.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
With the hubs you need to think abut teams that have or can host a Memorial cup. BY that I mean the buildings need to be set to be able to social distance the players. So extra dressing rooms and stuff like lot's of room to stretch and stuff is needed. They will also look at logging/hotel side as well. Places like Kingston, Hamilton, Windsor and London would be my picks. Maybe even the Soo. They will also look at the COVID numbers in the community. In my mind the dressing room situation would be a big one. If you can get the teams a dressing room each that would be ideal. I also think they will bring the teams in as close to game time as they can safely. The less time in the building the better.

I agree it’s ideal to give a team a room each, but does that include the home team’s normal room? It seems like a huge competitive advantage to give one team a weight room, lockers, a lounge, medical room, etc. It’s only fair that no team gets to use that room, but it’s also a waste to not take advantage of the resources available in the arena.

I think they might have to do it like the NHL where the “home” team for a said game gets the home dressing room and the visitor gets a crappy away team room. In theory they are all bubbled up so the risk of transmission by sitting in the same room as another team *should be* extremely low.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Me as well. I'm paid up and have no plans to get rid of my tickets. I don't need the extra 2 cents a month interest.

Hey Otto, thanks for the suggestion of contacting Cindy, which I did do. We settled on a refund of a grand, with the balance held as a deposit on a future seasons ticket purchase.

PS: If you're only earning 2 cents a month, maybe it's time to seek out a better financial advisor.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Hey Otto, thanks for the suggestion of contacting Cindy, which I did do. We settled on a refund of a grand, with the balance held as a deposit on a future seasons ticket purchase.

PS: If you're only earning 2 cents a month, maybe it's time to seek out a better financial advisor.

The $600 isn't making a dent in my portfolio. Good to hear you got looked after. Cindy is awesome

Reactions: Purple Phart

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I apologize, but a 24 game schedule is ridiculous!
unfortunately I agree only because of the cost for some teams to do this for 24 games so NHL scouts can view draft eligible kids. Let the NHL foot a bill later for a tourney style bubble for all draft eligible players. Older players with school commits in Canada are going to give up summer jobs that theyd be starting next month to sit in a room for 10 weeks is tough to ask. Id just rather see them gear up good and healthy in September early for a full season most teams cant afford this for 24 games IMHO

Reactions: The Howler

Otto

unfortunately I agree only because of the cost for some teams to do this for 24 games so NHL scouts can view draft eligible kids. Let the NHL foot a bill later for a tourney style bubble for all draft eligible players. Older players with school commits in Canada are going to give up summer jobs that theyd be starting next month to sit in a room for 10 weeks is tough to ask. Id just rather see them gear up good and healthy in September early for a full season most teams cant afford this for 24 games IMHO

If the teams didn't want to do it then it wouldn't happen

Reactions: EvenSteven

the man22

Jun 11, 2014

It's not just about being able to afford it. It's about the rep and health of the league. The kids just want to play. Every other league has played this year. The long term damage of not playing this year will be felt in the years to come. The delay thus far is going to cause damage in the future.
Fans change habits and maybe move on from watching Jr Hockey. Out of sight out of mind. The damage to player recruitment will be felt. "Why would I go to a league that can't figure it out. Everybody else did".

Now mind you I am not sure how stringent the COVID rules are for the NCAA and other leagues. I understand the need for returning to play safely. But there is a point where you are being over cautious. There is a point were "what can happen" and "what will happen" need to intersect.

By playing you are losing money. But by playing you are losing less money. By not playing to you may save some money this year but in the long run you'll lose more and lose money over a period of time instead of just this moment.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
It's not just about being able to afford it. It's about the rep and health of the league. The kids just want to play. Every other league has played this year. The long term damage of not playing this year will be felt in the years to come. The delay thus far is going to cause damage in the future.
Fans change habits and maybe move on from watching Jr Hockey. Out of sight out of mind. The damage to player recruitment will be felt. "Why would I go to a league that can't figure it out. Everybody else did".

Now mind you I am not sure how stringent the COVID rules are for the NCAA and other leagues. I understand the need for returning to play safely. But there is a point where you are being over cautious. There is a point were "what can happen" and "what will happen" need to intersect.

By playing you are losing money. But by playing you are losing less money. By not playing to you may save some money this year but in the long run you'll lose more and lose money over a period of time instead of just this moment.
Teams wont make any money playing this year with no fans, period. All their revenue basically comes from bums in the seats. 20 game season isnt going to change anything. To say kids wont play for the OHL in the future because they didnt play this year is false to me. Kids in Ontario must first play for the OHL or have option of tier 2 or jrb then NCAA they cannot just go and play in the Q or W they will continue to play in the OHL it wont hurt the league at all IMO. Hey, Id love to see some games too im just saying for the cost per team I dont think its a smart thing to do for the league and individual teams. in September every rink will be full of fans and players again I dont believe it will have any effect at all on hockey in ontario as far as support or player interest not playing this year. Its very sad however for all those young kids and in the development area i do agree.

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Teams wont make any money playing this year with no fans, period. All their revenue basically comes from bums in the seats. 20 game season isnt going to change anything. To say kids wont play for the OHL in the future because they didnt play this year is false to me. Kids in Ontario must first play for the OHL or have option of tier 2 or jrb then NCAA they cannot just go and play in the Q or W they will continue to play in the OHL it wont hurt the league at all IMO. Hey, Id love to see some games too im just saying for the cost per team I dont think its a smart thing to do for the league and individual teams. in September every rink will be full of fans and players again I dont believe it will have any effect at all on hockey in ontario as far as support or player interest not playing this year. Its very sad however for all those young kids and in the development area i do agree.

The teams make money from streaming the games, Rink boards ads, Ice ads, website ads and various in arena ads. If they are not playing then these stream/ad dollars disappear. Mind you with the "hub" going on I expect monies to be shared. I expect the league to takeover all these "ads" and share the money between the teams/ pay for the hub. Rink board ads are not cheap especially with a larger audience seeing them through the stream and TV. Don't under estimate how much money is made this way. At the end of the day is it enough to "pay for everything" so that teams end up even or making money? I don't have an answer for that. But not hurting the leagues rep and getting the players on the ice to be seen is worth it.

The teams make money from streaming the games, Rink boards ads, Ice ads, website ads and various in arena ads. If they are not playing then these stream/ad dollars disappear. Mind you with the "hub" going on I expect monies to be shared. I expect the league to takeover all these "ads" and share the money between the teams/ pay for the hub. Rink board ads are not cheap especially with a larger audience seeing them through the stream and TV. Don't under estimate how much money is made this way. At the end of the day is it enough to "pay for everything" so that teams end up even or making money? I don't have an answer for that. But not hurting the leagues rep and getting the players on the ice to be seen is worth it.
Just throwing this out there....but if London does become a Hub..or even if they don't it would be kinda cool if The Western Fair District put on game day "Drive Ins" much like the Brett Kissel concert in the fall. Fans would be able to gather and cheer on in their vehicles within their own vehicle pod. Would be pretty cool. Or even get Mustang Drive In on board

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Just throwing this out there....but if London does become a Hub..or even if they don't it would be kinda cool if The Western Fair District put on game day "Drive Ins" much like the Brett Kissel concert in the fall. Fans would be able to gather and cheer on in their vehicles within their own vehicle pod. Would be pretty cool. Or even get Mustang Drive In on board

That could happen as the team that runs the Bud runs those as well.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
Having a hub in London makes a ton of sense. You can do virtually any of the options they've come out with, ie. host it at the Bud and stay 5 minutes away in the Delta, or do it at Western and stay in dorms. Or some variation of both. Western and the Bud are not far from each other so they could stay on campus and play at the Bud. And as Mayor Ed Holder said, lowest cases per capita in southwestern Ontario.
two of the smaller university/colleges apart of Western have campuses with nearby Dorms that are quite remote, especially Brescia. That whole dorm system would be well suited at housing players while keeping teams largely seperated and away from contact with the general public.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Logan Mailloux
Logan Mailloux is another interesting case. He played in the GOJHL last year because his OHL team, the London Knights, were pretty stacked as usual. This year, with the OHL not having played yet, he has been playing in Sweden in the HockeyEttan league — Sweden’s third tier professional level, behind the SHL and Allsvenskan. He has 12 points in 15 games, which leads the team on a per-game basis because they’re bad. Like, 2-15-0-3 record-bad.
His points can be misleading because he’s playing in lower levels, but he has solid all-round potential with more defensive reliability and physicality than someone like Morrow. Despite being on a terrible team, he is getting points and his underlying numbers for things he can control are stellar. He can break up rushes to shut down transition, and push the play up the other way.
His draft range is between 56th and 100th, so he could be a smart late-second round pick, or a steal in the third and even fourth rounds. If he does fall, it will be because he’s never had exposure in more traditional leagues and levels. But if the OHL does return, and Mailloux returns to London playing a bigger role in a bigger market close to home, you may see his draft stock skyrocket in an unusual year with far fewer games played in North America than normal.
2021 NHL Draft Prospects to Watch 2.0

Reactions: Fastpace

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Logan Mailloux
Logan Mailloux is another interesting case. He played in the GOJHL last year because his OHL team, the London Knights, were pretty stacked as usual. This year, with the OHL not having played yet, he has been playing in Sweden in the HockeyEttan league — Sweden’s third tier professional level, behind the SHL and Allsvenskan. He has 12 points in 15 games, which leads the team on a per-game basis because they’re bad. Like, 2-15-0-3 record-bad.
His points can be misleading because he’s playing in lower levels, but he has solid all-round potential with more defensive reliability and physicality than someone like Morrow. Despite being on a terrible team, he is getting points and his underlying numbers for things he can control are stellar. He can break up rushes to shut down transition, and push the play up the other way.
His draft range is between 56th and 100th, so he could be a smart late-second round pick, or a steal in the third and even fourth rounds. If he does fall, it will be because he’s never had exposure in more traditional leagues and levels. But if the OHL does return, and Mailloux returns to London playing a bigger role in a bigger market close to home, you may see his draft stock skyrocket in an unusual year with far fewer games played in North America than normal.
2021 NHL Draft Prospects to Watch 2.0
He is going to be an absolute stud 1st round NHL pick mark my words!

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

Otto

Not Knights related, but just a follow up to my previous question about Jersey customizing... thanks @PhlyerPhanatic31 for suggesting Source... fantastic job

20210331_101947.jpg20210331_102025.jpg20210331_102044.jpg
20210331_102002.jpg

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Need some advice, mes amis, from those experienced in sports cards and memorabilia.
Giving some thought to selling my collection of sports cards and sports memorabilia dating back to the 1970s, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Whether to sell it on Ebay, privately, etc... Any advice? You might want to PM me. One of the issues that I'm having is that some of my high end cards (e.g. Ken Dryden, OPC rookie card, and Wayne Gretzky OPC rookie card) have not been professionally graded. It ups the value considerably to have your cards professionally graded, but it costs approx. $100 per card to get sent away to be graded, and the length of time for it to be returned is one year! I have a number of valuable cards that are in excellent condition, sharp corners, centred, etc...but I don't want to take a hit on the selling price because they haven't been professionally graded.
What does this have to do with the London Knights? Glad you asked...
Included among those items are two game-worn Knights' jerseys (R. Rupert, Foudy), London Knights hockey cards (team sets), OHL (formerly OHA) programmes and year books dating back to the early 1980s, London Knights game schedules, 2005 Memorial Cup memorabilia, etc...
I suspect that my Gretzky rookie card, autographed stick, and first Gretzky Sports Illustrated (cover with no mailing label, near mint), and other non-Knights items will be of more value, but there's definitely things of interest for Knights/OHL fans. In any case, looking to sell, not sure the best way to go about it.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Good luck Nelli! Thats a long turn around to get a card graded but might be worth it for the higher end stuff IF u can get a shorter turnaround.
I know there is a California company that does it and also a website for trading cards and selling of all types that is very popular and moderated for consumer peotection. ( but the site name escapes my older brain. Ill PM if I have time to look)
Cards have really taken off again in value after a lull.

Reactions: nelli27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad