London Knights 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Donofrio is an OA goalie who spent a couple of seasons in Hamilton. I don't think we'd waste an OA spot on a backup goalie. Maybe Hunter wants to keep him around while Kooy is in Las Vegas' camp. We still don't know if Brochu can make the jump to the O. I think he was playing Jr. C hockey last year with Dresden.

I can't imagine Brochu would be any worse than Donofrio was last year. You would be better off just going trial by fire with Brochu than waste your time making Donofrio work.

Donofrio is going to get released and likely end up in the USHL like Tyler Johnson, but for now is just filler. He'll serve his purpose and get let go once Kooy is back.

Hendy

Dec 1, 2018
I don't like the idea of burning a card for a stop gap. But that's just me

side note:

The total package

ECWAEDXX4AE__Sb
That's a great summary in picture form. Thanks for that.
I wonder if CCM would entertain adding the feather duster off the back of the helmets.

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I really wanted to go to that game and meet my granddaughter who is attending Brock but it is my sister's 50th Wedding Anniversary. The Niagara game in December I am in New Orleans.

Full Training Camp Sched

enter @ Gate 4

Monday, August 26, 2019
  • 2:30pm-4:00pm - Team Black vs. Team White
  • 4:10pm-5:40pm - Team Gold vs. Team Green
Tuesday, August 27, 2019
  • 8:00am-9:30am - Team Black vs. Team Green
  • 9:40am-11:10am - Team White vs. Team Gold
  • 11:30am-12:50pm - Knights Pro Alumni Skate
  • 1:00pm-2:50pm - Team White vs. Team Green
  • 3:00pm-4:50pm - Team Black vs. Team Gold
Wednesday, August 28, 2019
  • 8:00am-9:30am - Team White vs. Team Gold
  • 9:40am-11:10am - Team Black vs. Team Green
  • 11:30am-12:50pm - Knights Pro Alumni Skate
  • 6:00pm-8:00pm - Team Green vs. Team Gold

I can't imagine Brochu would be any worse than Donofrio was last year. You would be better off just going trial by fire with Brochu than waste your time making Donofrio work.

Donofrio is going to get released and likely end up in the USHL like Tyler Johnson, but for now is just filler. He'll serve his purpose and get let go once Kooy is back.
and burn a card in the process

No thanks

Ride the kid and let him battle for a handful of games. You said it yourself...he's not an upgrade over just handing the net to Brochu for a month

...for what it's worth..here's what i dug up

London Knights – Official site of the London Knights

Reactions: KnightsWatch

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
and burn a card in the process

No thanks

Ride the kid and let him battle for a handful of games. You said it yourself...he's not an upgrade over just handing the net to Brochu for a month

...for what it's worth..here's what i dug up

London Knights – Official site of the London Knights

I don't think we have to worry about Kooy not being back to London in time. Remember he's drafted by Vegas and they have two solid goalies so no chance he sticks around for very long. He'll be back just in time to play in the home opener. In the mean time the other two can hold down the fort and it will not burn a card.

I don't think we have to worry about Kooy not being back to London in time. Remember he's drafted by Vegas and they have two solid goalies so no chance he sticks around for very long. He'll be back just in time to play in the home opener. In the mean time the other two can hold down the fort and it will not burn a card.
Why not just run a couple kids out? If you've got no plans for Donofrio..why even make up a jersey for him

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Why not just run a couple kids out? If you've got no plans for Donofrio..why even make up a jersey for him

You need a back up and this points to the fact the Knights don't feel they have anything after Brochu. Plus, it will give the Donofrio kid a chance to get some exposure and land somewhere. I don't know if it is fair to expect a kid that has never played in the league to play 2 or 3 Ex Games. Most of the kids these days are not willing to ruin their NCAA eligibility for an OHL Ex game.

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31
You need a back up and this points to the fact the Knights don't feel they have anything after Brochu. Plus, it will give the Donofrio kid a chance to get some exposure and land somewhere. I don't know if it is fair to expect a kid that has never played in the league to play 2 or 3 Ex Games. Most of the kids these days are not willing to ruin their NCAA eligibility for an OHL Ex game.
I for one would like to see Brochu get every exxy start once Kooy leaves

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
Knights liked him at one point. He's probably coming to try and get eyes on him so he can grab a OHL spot somewhere else. Teams know the Knights have too many players and a few will become available so they'll be scouting the training camp

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Regarding the upcoming season, here's what's on my mind.
I really like our forward group, it's arguably as deep as any in the Western Conference (right up there with Saginaw).
But, now consider our defence--certainly not on par with our offence. And there are teams in the West that currently have a stronger defence (Saginaw and Kitchener to name just a few). We have one solid, reliable vet, Regula. Then, there's Hunter Skinner, a 4th round pick of the NYR. Hopefully, he'll make a smooth transition to the O.
After that, we have a handful of young, talented defenders who are a few years away from reaching their (OHL) potential. I think G. Keane, Steklov, Winslow, Montgomery, Mailloux, and B. Roger will have bright futures, but where does that leave us this year in terms of "going for it"? Do you think the Hunters will try to bring in a couple of veteran defenders and make a run this season? If so, that would likely mean having to move some of those young faces (or have too many of them sit). The Hunters could decide to keep that core group of young defenders, and "go for it" next year (i.e. 2020-21). After all, we'll still have Stranges, McMichael, Guskov, Panwar, Evangelista, McCue, McGurn, etc...to give us all the scoring we need.
Mark Hunter likes to make those bold moves though, and has a tendency to "go for it" whenever he gets the chance.

boknows

Oct 15, 2015
Regarding the upcoming season, here's what's on my mind.
I really like our forward group, it's arguably as deep as any in the Western Conference (right up there with Saginaw).
But, now consider our defence--certainly not on par with our offence. And there are teams in the West that currently have a stronger defence (Saginaw and Kitchener to name just a few). We have one solid, reliable vet, Regula. Then, there's Hunter Skinner, a 4th round pick of the NYR. Hopefully, he'll make a smooth transition to the O.
After that, we have a handful of young, talented defenders who are a few years away from reaching their (OHL) potential. I think G. Keane, Steklov, Winslow, Montgomery, Mailloux, and B. Roger will have bright futures, but where does that leave us this year in terms of "going for it"? Do you think the Hunters will try to bring in a couple of veteran defenders and make a run this season? If so, that would likely mean having to move some of those young faces (or have too many of them sit). The Hunters could decide to keep that core group of young defenders, and "go for it" next year (i.e. 2020-21). After all, we'll still have Stranges, McMichael, Guskov, Panwar, Evangelista, McCue, McGurn, etc...to give us all the scoring we need.
Mark Hunter likes to make those bold moves though, and has a tendency to "go for it" whenever he gets the chance.
Nelli --- hopefully you have more luck than I in getting comments on team composition for this year. I posted on Monday and yours is the only posting since even remotely close. I agree with your assessment that offence looks very good and defence is unknown. I believe there is lots of potential but very short on experience. Maybe we forget about going for first place but get them ready for playoffs. Trading one or more would likely result in short term gain for long term pain.
Hopefully other Knights followers can weigh in and give their perspectives.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
With one of the projected top goaltenders in the league this year, go. They are the hardest piece to find.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I would wait about ~20-25 games to evaluate what we have on the blue line and go from there. If one or two of Skinner, Keane, Steklov look like they can be reliable in a top four role, we should “go for it” by adding one or two more top 4 guys.

If they struggle, I think it would be better to wait a year.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
The only thing is that it can't be an OHL only thing. The 3 OA rule is common among all of the CHL leagues, and having it only in the OHL gives them an unfair advantage over the other leagues.

Would it not have to be implemented with future effective date?

Nelli --- hopefully you have more luck than I in getting comments on team composition for this year. I posted on Monday and yours is the only posting since even remotely close. I agree with your assessment that offence looks very good and defence is unknown. I believe there is lots of potential but very short on experience. Maybe we forget about going for first place but get them ready for playoffs. Trading one or more would likely result in short term gain for long term pain.
Hopefully other Knights followers can weigh in and give their perspectives.
I will wait until I've actually seen an on ice product before I'll wager my opinion of the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad