London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I doubt a roster freeze would occur. But IMO, suspensions may be a different ball of wax. Historically, regulars season games were never as important as playoff games in the way of suspensions.

That being the case, current suspensions that came down were issued with regular season games in mind. Example: Phillips was given a suspension of two regular season games. Had this been playoffs, could that have been deemed worth only one playoff game?

If a return to the season means going directly into playoffs, can we expect suspensions to be adjusted to reflect the difference between regular season and playoff games?

I can see the logic.

I don't see the season coming back so its a exercise in futility with Phillips being an OA, but this isnt the case in the OHL in regards to suspensions. Regular season games are no different that playoff games in the eyes of the OHL.

Reactions: EvenSteven

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
The League will return. Too much money on the line. Some of the teams need the money to stay alive.
I can see this cancelling the Memorial Cup and just awarding League Championships.
I can see them playing games into early July.

I can see this playing out in one of two ways. 1 - regular season is done. Start playoffs and play 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5.
2 - Start play0ffs with top 4 teams in each conference. Again playing shorter series.

Either way there would be "enhanced" revenue sharing in place to help non-playoff teams.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
The League will return. Too much money on the line. Some of the teams need the money to stay alive.
I can see this cancelling the Memorial Cup and just awarding League Championships.

I can see this playing out in one of two ways. 1 - regular season is done. Start playoffs and play 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5.
2 - Start play0ffs with top 4 teams in each conference. Again playing shorter series.

Either way there would be "enhanced" revenue sharing in place to help non-playoff teams.
If we've learned anything by now, it's that economic/financial considerations take a back seat to public health concerns (i.e.COVID-19)so I think there's a greater chance that Howie Mandel is caught licking the floors at Walmart than hockey returning this season. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA

Some teams will lose less money not having the schedule concluded, depends on how much they pay for rent and game costs. Granted, they may be paying out staff salary as well, but not every team's gate covrs all the costs.

I have never heard of revenue sharing in the O, does the road team get a % of the gate?

Think the season is done myself.

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Some teams will lose less money not having the schedule concluded, depends on how much they pay for rent and game costs. Granted, they may be paying out staff salary as well, but not every team's gate covrs all the costs.

I have never heard of revenue sharing in the O, does the road team get a % of the gate?

Think the season is done myself.

League starts taking a percentage of the gate in the playoffs. The amount they take increases each round.

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
If we've learned anything by now, it's that economic/financial considerations take a back seat to public health concerns (i.e.COVID-19)so I think there's a greater chance that Howie Mandel is caught licking the floors at Walmart than hockey returning this season. Hope I'm wrong.

This is not about the "Bernie yelling 1%" getting richer. In more cases then you realize this is about some teams not being able to exist in the future without the playoff money.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
This is not about the "Bernie yelling 1%" getting richer. In more cases then you realize this is about some teams not being able to exist in the future without the playoff money.
I think you misunderstood my point. The O will not resume play regardless of any financial disasters from loss of playoff revenue UNLESS there is no perceived risk to public health. So if there's still cause for concern over COVID-19, the season will not be continued (regardless of the financial hardships that you were correct to indicate would ensue).

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Do enough OHL teams have rinks with refrigeration units to keep the ice from being slush?

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
I think you misunderstood my point. The O will not resume play regardless of any financial disasters from loss of playoff revenue UNLESS there is no perceived risk to public health. So if there's still cause for concern over COVID-19, the season will not be continued (regardless of the financial hardships that you were correct to indicate would ensue).
Sorry. I would never suggest that the League would do anything that is not in the safest interest of it players. Regardless. What I am saying is once cleared to do so I can see the OHL trying everything in their power to play games. Even if that means finishing in early July.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Sorry. I would never suggest that the League would do anything that is not in the safest interest of it players. Regardless. What I am saying is once cleared to do so I can see the OHL trying everything in their power to play games. Even if that means finishing in early July.
The way things have gone from 0-1000 we aren't seeing any more hockey because things aren't going to de-escalate anywhere near as fast.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Just a quick “pop-in” and a few thoughts. I understand fully the risk and also the preventive measures we must take in order to slow and eventually eradicate this virus. At this point I am pleased with Canada’s response and our hard work invested in early isolation and education will eventually pay off. However I think we (general public) have now gone beyond reasonable in our response. Closing small business and stocking up on essentials etc. is a bit to much. Take precautions and for the incredibly vast majority of us this will work fine. The impact of the WWW and Social Media is being seen and in some cases it’s not positive.

Back to hockey I think we have seen the end of the 2019-2020 season and playoffs IMO. Unfortunate I think the current Knights Team had a legitimate opportunity to offer some exciting playoff hockey. Not saying we were going to win it but I think the boys would have entertained us for sure!

Cheers stay well everyone.

Reactions: STS

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Just a quick “tip” out there for my fellow HF posters. Big, big difference between 2 ply and 6 ply “backside” paper. Caution and watch out for the “tear through” as extra hand, wrist and forearm washing may be required? :thumbu:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
OHL announces cancellation of 2020 OHL COMBINE
Mar16CombineCancelled-1024x600.jpg

Since the start of the spread of Coronavirus/COVID-19, the OHL has closely monitored the rapidly evolving situation with a view to the health and safety of players and their families, team and league staff, on and off ice officials, fans and the general public.
The OHL today announced that they have made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s OHL COMBINE.
On behalf of the OHL we would like to recognize and congratulate all of the players and coaches who earned an opportunity to participate in the OHL COMBINE.
The OHL is committed to ensuring a safe environment for all participants and feel that this is the most prudent decision for all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad