London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
NELLI REPORT...
Most of you are familiar with the 'nelli report', but what you probably don't know is that since I've been attending the 'mini camps' (roughly 12 years), I've had the privilege of being seated beside my friend, "fansince65", who is no longer with us. With a heavy heart, this 'nelli report' is dedicated in memory of Ernie.

Well, I left with about 30 seconds to go with team gold up 10-3. The players who stood out will not come as a surprise. Panwar (team gold) stole the show; incredibly skilled, great hands, excellent playmaker, outstanding vision, can skate backward as well as he can skate forward--he was all over the ice. Then, of course, there's Stranges who's in a league of his own; skates like Jeremy Bracco but with more speed; is incredibly creative; skates end to end at will; he's the "next one". Evangelista also played well, great hands, playmaker, clever with the puck. He'll be a treat to watch too for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

24 hours ago Evangelista and Keane (along with Panwar and Stranges) are posing for pictures at the press conference, and today Keane wants to take Evangelista's head off. I don't know what Evangelista said or did to Keane, but I thought for sure that they were going to drop the gloves. This was a feud that lasted for much of the scrimmage. Keane crosschecked Evangelista in the back...went off for two minutes. Then later challenged Evangelista to a fight.

Speaking of feuds, there were two fights:
1.Kress vs Poirrier: this was bizarre. The kids dropped their gloves but didn't take their helmets off. So you had one kid throwing haymakers to a steel cage, and the other doing the same but punching a full face shield. I looked over at the husband and wife beside me and said "what are these kids thinking? take off your helmets! The one kid left the ice with a sore hand".
His response: "I know that was my kid!"

2.Maltby vs Torrealba: again, both leave their helmets on. Uneventful tilt.

For team gold, I thought Brayden Krieger looked good; fast, good hands, backchecked well to break up a 2 on 1. Scored a couple of goals.
I think Dane Dowiak had a hattrick.
Emmet Pierce had 2 goals. I'd like to see more of him (as I'm sure the coaching staff does too) because it's hard to say whether his skating will be a liability).
Free agent Max Klanow worked his tale off, and definitely has skill; I'd also like to see more of what he can do against better competition.
On defence, Keane reminds me of Perrott; right-hand shot; full of grit.
Liam Whittaker did not look out of place on defence either.
Avery Winslow was not in the lineup until the 3rd period--rather odd. Did he sleep him?

Team green:
The biggest surprise was Ben Roger--I thought he was outstanding, tall, lanky kid, very athletic, agile. Skates well; good hands; moves the puck up ice effectively; smart player. I think he's a player to watch...he won't be in the lineup this season, too thin (125 lbs). But I can see him cracking the lineup in a few years when he adds size and muscle to that frame.
Still not convinced that Bangs will crack the lineup this season. I'm looking for more.
What about the goalies? I don't do goalies--ask Phlyer!

The 'J. Golden' award for the 'worst player on the ice' goes to Cameron Hanson--he was terrible! Imagine if Martenet had a younger brother who iced the puck, and turned it over more than he did--that's Cameron Hanson.

Thanks Nelli............excellent scouting report!

The biggest surprise was Ben Roger--
I thought he was outstanding, tall, lanky kid, very athletic, agile.
Skates well; good hands; moves the puck up ice effectively; smart player.
I think he's a player to watch...he won't be in the lineup this season, too thin (125 lbs). But I can see him cracking the lineup in a few years when he adds size and muscle
to that frame.

Panwar (team gold) stole the show; incredibly skilled, great hands,
excellent playmaker, outstanding vision, can skate backward as well as
he can skate forward--he was all over the ice.

Then, of course, there's Stranges who's in a league of his own;
skates like Jeremy Bracco but with more speed; is incredibly creative;
skates end to end at will; he's the "next one".

Evangelista also played well, great hands, playmaker, clever with the puck.
He'll be a treat to watch too for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region
Wow...Other thing is how come Keane and Evangelista dont like each other? What caused that?

Nothing there, this could be old wounds resurfacing between the two over their young short careers against one another. Players fighting on same team usually are the first to stand up and protect each other’s in real game action. Remember Brad Marsh and Tom Rowe fist fighting at training camps and practices many times but were buddy/buddy outside the rink and around the town afterwards.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
NELLI REPORT...
Most of you are familiar with the 'nelli report', but what you probably don't know is that since I've been attending the 'mini camps' (roughly 12 years), I've had the privilege of being seated beside my friend, "fansince65", who is no longer with us. With a heavy heart, this 'nelli report' is dedicated in memory of Ernie.

Well, I left with about 30 seconds to go with team gold up 10-3. The players who stood out will not come as a surprise. Panwar (team gold) stole the show; incredibly skilled, great hands, excellent playmaker, outstanding vision, can skate backward as well as he can skate forward--he was all over the ice. Then, of course, there's Stranges who's in a league of his own; skates like Jeremy Bracco but with more speed; is incredibly creative; skates end to end at will; he's the "next one". Evangelista also played well, great hands, playmaker, clever with the puck. He'll be a treat to watch too for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

24 hours ago Evangelista and Keane (along with Panwar and Stranges) are posing for pictures at the press conference, and today Keane wants to take Evangelista's head off. I don't know what Evangelista said or did to Keane, but I thought for sure that they were going to drop the gloves. This was a feud that lasted for much of the scrimmage. Keane crosschecked Evangelista in the back...went off for two minutes. Then later challenged Evangelista to a fight.

1.Kress vs Poirrier: this was bizarre. The kids dropped their gloves but didn't take their helmets off. So you had one kid throwing haymakers to a steel cage, and the other doing the same but punching a full face shield. I looked over at the husband and wife beside me and said "what are these kids thinking? take off your helmets! The one kid left the ice with a sore hand".

For team gold, I thought Brayden Krieger looked good; fast, good hands, backchecked well to break up a 2 on 1. Scored a couple of goals.
Emmet Pierce had 2 goals. I'd like to see more of him (as I'm sure the coaching staff does too) because it's hard to say whether his skating will be a liability).
Free agent Max Klanow worked his tale off, and definitely has skill; I'd also like to see more of what he can do against better competition.
Avery Winslow was not in the lineup until the 3rd period--rather odd. Did he sleep him?

Team green:
The biggest surprise was Ben Roger--I thought he was outstanding, tall, lanky kid, very athletic, agile. Skates well; good hands; moves the puck up ice effectively; smart player. I think he's a player to watch...he won't be in the lineup this season, too thin (125 lbs). But I can see him cracking the lineup in a few years when he adds size and muscle to that frame.
Still not convinced that Bangs will crack the lineup this season. I'm looking for more.

The 'J. Golden' award for the 'worst player on the ice' goes to Cameron Hanson--he was terrible! Imagine if Martenet had a younger brother who iced the puck, and turned it over more than he did--that's Cameron Hanson.
Great report as always Nelli

Re: Winslow - the player wearing 4 at the end of the 2nd scrimmage and the 3rd was Poirier, his jersey got ripped during the fight and when he came back out after getting patched up he was wearing Winslow’s jersey

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Poirier definitely plays with an edge to his game.
Stands up for teammates, plays hard, plays hurt. Old school and battles with everything he has.
Hope he can find a jr B squad to play with this year. Really like the kids attitude.

Thanks Nelli.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Evangelista got his stick between Keanes legs prior to the altercation. Most likely the reason he was riled up.

Reactions: LDN

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
18-19 to me will be a season of growth and experience. I don't expect them to be in a position to push the envelope as a contender and really nor should anyone else. Let the pieces fall where they may. It's nice to speculate, but let's not forget..London along with Windsor were the 2 youngest teams in the league post deadline. Still a lot of maturing and growing pains to endure. Junior hockey isn't like Harry Potter land...you can't just go "poof" were good enough to win it all just because you've secured some important pieces to solidify your future core. I don't expect them to contend but would be elated if they gel and grow fast, which is how we all should really view next season going into the unknown.

How you are making a lot of sense in your post PP

I thought since our young talents are making NHL teams sooner now it kind of shorting the time of CHL team’s reloading and of rebuilding. If you have the players and the talents, why not try it now, nothing is holding up or stopping our young players from learning on a winning team. The Knights were very successful in 2012 with Domi, Horvat, Chris Tierney, Rupert twins and Olli Maatta on board and they did it with a rookie Jake Patterson as backup to Houser. I always been the go for the sure thing guy like you are describing in your post but in our now time things are changing and we don’t see our stars for more then two or three years anymore so it seem logical to move quickly on the winning traditions

Reactions: LDN and zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
NELLI REPORT...

Avery Winslow was not in the lineup until the 3rd period--rather odd. Did he sleep in?

Team green:

Well done Nelli and well said

Reactions: zman77

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
It's really getting old listening to 19 other fan bases whine when the Knights draft and sign a player each of their team's also had a chance to draft

Actually, pathetic would be better suited. One teams fan base is actually calling for an “inquest”. Yes, and “inquest” and “collusion”

Let them wade in their own pool of self pity.

Can’t wait for September. Drop the puck!!

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Actually, pathetic would be better suited. One teams fan base is actually calling for an “inquest”. Yes, and “inquest” and “collusion”

Let them wade in their own pool of self pity.

Can’t wait for September. Drop the puck!!

Kitchener has signed a committed 2nd round selection in consecutive years. In both cases the committing player was considered unusual commitments at the time. London is not on an island when it comes to getting highly ranked committed players to sign. Those calling for “inquest” have no basis, Just envy

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
It's really getting old listening to 19 other fan bases whine when the Knights draft and sign a player each of their team's also had a chance to draft
Stranges told 19 other teams he was not coming; he even admitted it. playing field is not level. don't be naive.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
even the Knights hedged their bets and waited til the second; the Knights should be winning every year; they get 3 first round picks every year and somehow find a way to lose anyway.

TF519

Jun 9, 2014
even the Knights hedged their bets and waited til the second; the Knights should be winning every year; they get 3 first round picks every year and somehow find a way to lose anyway.
Well, Jacob Golden and Lucas Rowe would look brilliant in red and black, eh?

Stranges told 19 other teams he was not coming; he even admitted it. playing field is not level. don't be naive.
So did Domi...so did Mete. The point is Kingston and Owen Sound were smart enough to call their bluff and were rewarded for making the pick. No excuse to let a player of Stranges caliber drop if you're 19 other teams. It's a cop out to whine that London took him when the rest of the league basically handed him to the Knights.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
AWWW how grumpy are you? Well lets look on the flipside...the Knights develop more players who go to the NHL sooner then any other team....every year we lose guys early to the NHL or the pros....its just the way it goes...London doesnt win every year cause the game isnt played on paper...Also if it was SOOOO easy for the Knights then how come they didnt get Cuylle, Power and Perfetti in the draft? If they want any of those guys they will have to trade for them

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Even the whine tastes bitter, served up with a shoulder chip.

Kids want to play for the Knights because it provides them with the best opportunity to succeed, yet, this is perceived as Foul play.

Not every 16 year old can play in front of 9000+ just the fortunate ones.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I seem to recall that we find a way to win at a higher rate than other organizations. In fact, not too long ago, we swept the Ice Dogs to win the OHL championship--raising the J. Ross Robertson Cup on Niagara's home ice. Then we went on to win the Memorial Cup.
What have you to say about the 2005 Memorial Cup team? No draft manipulation at all; team built through the draft with no 'curious' selections, and via key trades. From there, the Knights went on to build their "brand". As it turns out, NOT all organizations are equal in what they can offer young prospects. Therefore, it's to be expected that these kids and their families will have certain preferences--London has become a preferred destination for some kids (Kitchener and Windsor also have success at recruiting players). Take a look at Stranges' reasons for wanting to play in London--the success of the franchise; players like Kane, Tavares, and Marner played here; not too many 16 yr olds get a chance to play in front of 9000 fans, etc...
The solution is to call the Knights' bluff and select the player before London does--that's what the rules permit, and that's what prevents the Knights from doing as they please.
What I'm trying to say is that it's next to impossible to structure the league in an entirely egalitarian fashion, in a way that would remove all preferences. Consider the logic of egalitarianism--let's push it to its most radical conclusion--this is what you'd get:
1. the attendance at all games, in ALL arenas must not exceed a sellout in the smallest arena. So, let's say that's Owen Sound, and its seating capacity is 3400 (I'm guessing, I don't know). Imagine how silly it would be to say, we have to be fair to all the teams, so London you (and the rest of the league) can only have 3400 fans attend your games at the 9000 plus seat Bud Gardens because it wouldn't be fair to Owen Sound.
2. all teams have to employ the same number of scouts.
3. all teams have to provide the same post-secondary educational opportunities for its players. Owen Sound, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't have a university so they wouldn't be able to attract players who want to attend university while playing in the O. That's not fair for OS--they wouldn't be on a level playing field.
4. how do you ensure that all teams have head coaches who are equally capable (i.e. are equally good coaches)? It wouldn't be fair for some teams to have poor coaching while others have good coaching. Should the good coaches be forced to resign, and be replaced with coaches of equal/mediocre capability as the other teams?
5. all teams must have their Import picks report or else NO team can have an Import in their lineup (after all, it wouldn't be fair to the other teams).

There you go, you have as much equality now as possible!

If it's not obvious what I'm doing here...let me be clear. I'm admittedly coming up with some ridiculous examples to show how ridiculous it is to structure the league in accordance with some ideal of 'equality' (granted I've been working with a radical application of the term in the above examples). As well, I'm also defending the status quo because I believe that some organizations have proven to be more desirable locations than others. Bottom line: I defend the Knights' organization. On what grounds? Noblesse oblige.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->