London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I’d be fine with a 4th line of Whittaker-Turko-Tymkin
I’m not counting on Formenton coming back, so a high end import and some extra bodies traded for a top 6 upgrade would top my wish list.
Should we almost plan on not having Bouchard and Formenton back and then if they do come back we would be very happy!

Reactions: zman77 and Fastpace

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
As good as some of these players look in rookie camp, we certainly can't keep them all. Before dispatching current players off in trades, it might be wise to see how these new kids look when competing in the main camp and in a few exhibition games. That's when a much truer picture develops. Gotta remember what you're seeing is them competing against their peer group, and not vs the older players who've had a couple or more years of experience in the league. If the gems still shine in the regular camp & exhibition games, then one can start to pencil in projected rosters. Until then, quality assessments are premature. Good to see that there are an abundance of new kids that are showing some skill & promise. That'll make some current players expendable, but I don't wish to see too many with the same attributes. The team has to be built with the right mix, and everyone can bring something different, provided that their contribution fills a need.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
As good as some of these players look in rookie camp, we certainly can't keep them all. Before dispatching current players off in trades, it might be wise to see how these new kids look when competing in the main camp and in a few exhibition games. That's when a much truer picture develops. Gotta remember what you're seeing is them competing against their peer group, and not vs the older players who've had a couple or more years of experience in the league. If the gems still shine in the regular camp & exhibition games, then one can start to pencil in projected rosters. Until then, quality assessments are premature. Good to see that there are an abundance of new kids that are showing some skill & promise. That'll make some current players expendable, but I don't wish to see too many with the same attributes. The team has to be built with the right mix, and everyone can bring something different, provided that their contribution fills a need.

Some of the skills shown by the players are context independent. Their skating ability, shot, and puck handling can be evaluated if they were facing OHL calibre players, rookie camp calibre players, or on the ice alone. The eye test for both Stranges and Panwar in particular showed the type of skill and dominance I would expect if an OHL veteran showed up to camp yesterday.

Reactions: LDN and zman77

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region

I agree Purple Phart but have got to add if a management can't pick out a couple stand outs amungst their peers and project how well they would perform with stronger competitors, I'd say they are in the wrong profession. What makes it hard for young talent at this level is not their skill level itself and it's not the more phisticated technics coupled with team system, it's how quick and well can they murge it all with their own skills. It's in my opinion what is separating the men from the boys or OHL system from AAA and top six from bottom six.

Reactions: zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Some of the skills shown by the players are context independent. Their skating ability, shot, and puck handling can be evaluated if they were facing OHL calibre players, rookie camp calibre players, or on the ice alone. The eye test for both Stranges and Panwar in particular showed the type of skill and dominance I would expect if an OHL veteran showed up to camp yesterday.

Starry Knight:
Thanks for your Scouting Report yesterday.
The 4 players from 2002 have high end skill and will push everyone to be better.
Ryan Bangs:
He's ready to play for the London Knights now.
2017-18 St. Thomas Stars GOJHL33 Gms8 Goals15 Assists23 Pts.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN and Fastpace

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Team Canada vs Switzerland @ 1:30.
Liam Foudy has 2 Goals and 1 Assist
TSN Sports

NqTNzzQt_bigger.jpg
Team Canada Men‏Verified account @HC_Men 3h3 hours ago

Going for 3-0!
1f1e8-1f1e6.png
takes on
1f1e8-1f1ed.png
at
#U18Worlds.
23f0.png
1:30 ET
1f4fa.png
@TSN_Sports
1f4c8.png
http://bit.ly/2qSEj8v
pic.twitter.com/VyANPs1RVA
DbYdi3MWkAAddYj.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN and Fastpace
Most of the time I wish the rink was 5-6K at the most. The 9K seats have been a great recruiting tool but the current fanbase, constant advertising, and high prices have made me very b!tchy.
The prices at the concessions don't bother me at all because I don't support them. I've maybe bought at the concessions a dozen times since 2002. ...well...I've discussed that before...different discussion but I'd be happy if the entire rink was dry.

The bothersome thing for me is the Budweiser Gardens parking lot only having 5 or 6 limited mobility parking spots. I would like to see them regulate the lot for limited mobility parking on game nights and have a guard working the gate that would ask to see your placard before entering the lot. There is maybe 100 parking spots in the lot anyway..so putting able bodied people over to Covent or the twin towers shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for them.

That would be my wish.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN and zman77
Straight from Stranges'

“ the Knights were really the only team I was going to play for,” “I was signed with the U.S. national team and it’s always an honour to play for your country for two years and go to the school that’s in your backyard but it was always an easy decision for me."
“I always knew I wanted to be a Knight. I grew up with the OHL team right next door (the Plymouth Whalers) when London came to town they had more fans than the home team did. Then you see all the great names that came out of this program: (Pat) Kane, (John) Tavares, (Mitch) Marner, you just want to be a part of that. You want to be like them.”

Reactions: TheCoach and LDN

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
What a difference a day makes, Stranges has skills for day but skating around in warm ups and playing like he knows it, jumping in on the drills in front of guys when he wants and floating around on the ice until he decides to turn it on and skate through everyone. Got put into the boards pretty good in the first scrimmage on a rush when the D men collapsed on him and took him out. Hopefully that attitude is adjusted when he meets the vets at main camp.

Panwar is having a phenomenal day. In hard on every play, I know a lot of people liked him yesterday but he is showing even better today.

Evangelista is good when you notice him but not having as good a day as Panwar

Kennedy though not quite as sharp as yesterday still having a decent day, has the potential to be a solid D-man and would like if he worked his way into our system somewhere.

Not as impressed with Klanow today, has a ton of energy but his passes are off missing a lot of pucks

Vincent Labelle looks good again today, fast and playing strong along the boards and behind the net, playing much bigger than his size ala Owen MacDonald

Braden Krieger stepped it up today, some very solid offensive zone play

Gerard Keane pretty much the same as yesterday, not sure what happened between him and Evangelista but definitely not as chummy as they were on stage yesterday afternoon, showed his displeasure with 4 or 5 cross checks to his side after the whistle and then some more chatting and shoving a couple shifts later

Riddle had a very lacklustre first scrimmage but got back to doing the things that impressed me yesterday in the 2nd one

A few fights including a couple of the FAs that weren’t having great days (Klanow and Poirier) which was nothing more then some helmet punching and cut hands to relieve some stress

McGurn and Pierce also looking pretty good out there

McCabe in net was much better yesterday having a day he would probably like to forget but team Gold has been much better then Green in general and he has had by far the majority of the work vs the other goalies

Note: Stranges had a chat with the coaches on the bench at the beginning of the 2nd scrimmage and played much ore interested afterwards so that is a positive

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Team green with a much better 3rd once they went 4-4 including Torrealba who scored a beauty from is back.

Owen Willis to me was again the best goalie on the day. Kennedy was very good and Klanow improved in the 3rd.

I haven’t noted much about Bangs and Whittaker but they both looked like vets playing against rookies, not much to be learned except they’re both improving nicely

All in all a good 2 days, there is some good talent in the pipeline. I’d like to see Willis, Pierce, Krieger, Labelle, Dowiak, Kennedy & Riddle at main camp to see how they stack up.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Priority Selection: ROUND 1 – 2018, 14th Overall
Player Name:Riley McCabe
Birthdate:03/25/2001 Hometown:Arthur, ON
Height:5.10Weight:152
Position:GoaltenderCatches:L
2017-18 Team:Waterloo Wolves MAAA
GPGASO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Fastpace and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
ROUND 1 – 2018, 14th Overall
Player Name:Riley McCabe
Birthdate:03/25/2001 Hometown:Arthur, ON
Height:5.10Weight:152
Position:GoaltenderCatches:L
2017-18 Team:Waterloo Wolves MAAA
GPGASO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Good stats

Reactions: zman77

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I agree on all points, Rubber--especially the OMac-Labelle comparison.

I'd also like to say I noticed both Strychaluk and Mairs a lot today (in a positive manner). This past draft is looking to be really strong.

This is how I see the players right now:

OHL Ready:
Bangs, Whittaker, Stranges, Panwar, Evangelista, (Panacci)

OHL Ready After a Summer of Training:
Keane, Pierce, Klanow

OHL Ready for 2019-2020:
Roger, Kennedy, McGurn, Winslow, Mairs, Krieger, Labelle, Strychaluk, Dowiak

Obviously a lot has to go right in terms of development for these players (especially for the last group) to make the OHL, but there are a lot of high upside players in camp this year.

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region
So based on what most have seen so far in the mini camp adding the best of 2017-18 roster and three o/a and two imports, how many think they can go for it this year or who think they will wait until 2019-20 season?

I personally believe they will have the manpower this coming season to go for it, let’s not forget they still have 11 surplus draft picks on hand in the cupboards with chances to get more in trades in order to get one or two players at the deadline.

Reactions: zman77 and LDN
So based on what most have seen so far in the mini camp adding the best of 2017-18 roster and three o/a and two imports, how many think they can go for it this year or who think they will wait until 2019-20 season?

I personally believe they will have the manpower this coming season to go for it, let’s not forget they still have 11 surplus draft picks on hand in the cupboards to get one or two players at the deadline.
18-19 to me will be a season of growth and experience. I don't expect them to be in a position to push the envelope as a contender and really nor should anyone else. Let the pieces fall where they may. It's nice to speculate, but let's not forget..London along with Windsor were the 2 youngest teams in the league post deadline. Still a lot of maturing and growing pains to endure. Junior hockey isn't like Harry Potter land...you can't just go "poof" were good enough to win it all just because you've secured some important pieces to solidify your future core. I don't expect them to contend but would be elated if they gel and grow fast, which is how we all should really view next season going into the unknown.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
NELLI REPORT...
Most of you are familiar with the 'nelli report', but what you probably don't know is that since I've been attending the 'mini camps' (roughly 12 years), I've had the privilege of being seated beside my friend, "fansince65", who is no longer with us. With a heavy heart, this 'nelli report' is dedicated in memory of Ernie.

Well, I left with about 30 seconds to go with team gold up 10-3. The players who stood out will not come as a surprise. Panwar (team gold) stole the show; incredibly skilled, great hands, excellent playmaker, outstanding vision, can skate backward as well as he can skate forward--he was all over the ice. Then, of course, there's Stranges who's in a league of his own; skates like Jeremy Bracco but with more speed; is incredibly creative; skates end to end at will; he's the "next one". Evangelista also played well, great hands, playmaker, clever with the puck. He'll be a treat to watch too for the next 3 or 4 seasons.

24 hours ago Evangelista and Keane (along with Panwar and Stranges) are posing for pictures at the press conference, and today Keane wants to take Evangelista's head off. I don't know what Evangelista said or did to Keane, but I thought for sure that they were going to drop the gloves. This was a feud that lasted for much of the scrimmage. Keane crosschecked Evangelista in the back...went off for two minutes. Then later challenged Evangelista to a fight.

Speaking of feuds, there were two fights:
1.Kress vs Poirrier: this was bizarre. The kids dropped their gloves but didn't take their helmets off. So you had one kid throwing haymakers to a steel cage, and the other doing the same but punching a full face shield. I looked over at the husband and wife beside me and said "what are these kids thinking? take off your helmets! The one kid left the ice with a sore hand".
His response: "I know that was my kid!"

2.Maltby vs Torrealba: again, both leave their helmets on. Uneventful tilt.

For team gold, I thought Brayden Krieger looked good; fast, good hands, backchecked well to break up a 2 on 1. Scored a couple of goals.
I think Dane Dowiak had a hattrick.
Emmet Pierce had 2 goals. I'd like to see more of him (as I'm sure the coaching staff does too) because it's hard to say whether his skating will be a liability).
Free agent Max Klanow worked his tail off, and definitely has skill; I'd also like to see more of what he can do against better competition.
On defence, Keane reminds me of Perrott; right-hand shot; full of grit.
Liam Whittaker did not look out of place on defence either.
Avery Winslow was not in the lineup until the 3rd period--rather odd. Did he sleep in?

Team green:
The biggest surprise was Ben Roger--I thought he was outstanding, tall, lanky kid, very athletic, agile. Skates well; good hands; moves the puck up ice effectively; smart player. I think he's a player to watch...he won't be in the lineup this season, too thin (125 lbs). But I can see him cracking the lineup in a few years when he adds size and muscle to that frame.
Still not convinced that Bangs will crack the lineup this season. I'm looking for more.
What about the goalies? I don't do goalies--ask Phlyer!

The 'J. Golden' award for the 'worst player on the ice' goes to Cameron Hanson--he was terrible! Imagine if Martenet had a younger brother who iced the puck, and turned it over more than he did--that's Cameron Hanson.

Last edited:
Thanks for choking me up Frank. It just wasn't the same yesterday without Pops there
NELLI REPORT...
Most of you are familiar with the 'nelli report', but what you probably don't know is that since I've been attending the 'mini camps' (roughly 12 years), I've had the privilege of being seated beside my friend, "fansince65", who is no longer with us. With a heavy heart, this 'nelli report' is dedicated in memory of Ernie.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

I personally believe they will have the manpower this coming season to go for it, let’s not forget they still have 11 surplus draft picks on hand in the cupboards with chances to get more in trades in order to get one or two players at the deadline.
I am thinking we should have a good playoff run, but I would consider 2019-2020 the start of another run of good years.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I'm not in any rush to trade for O/As because we already have so many bodies fighting for spots. If neither Bouchard nor Formenton come back, then it wouldn't make sense to go all in. Even if they come back, they're our only quality 99s. I think 19-20 makes more sense even though Bouchard and Formenton will be gone for sure. We have a lot of 2000s who will be able to contribute that year as 19 year olds.

Reactions: Otto and zman77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->