London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Team Green

Joe Kennedy: Nice surprise as an FA, very solid D-man and rushes the puck well. Surprised he came off Saginaws 50 man list as a 4th round pick last year, hopefully he gets an invite to camp in August

Adam Panacci: Looked very good along side Stranges, quick, nice passing, gets open in front of the net, as a 99 not sure London is the best fit for him, could play 4th line minutes for a rebuilding team next year

Antonio Stranges: As advertised, fast, great hands, smooth skating. He will play significant minutes this coming year and definitely see him becoming a top player in the league in the future

Luke Evangelista: a step above every player on the ice not named Stranges. Good stick handling, quick and hard in the corners. Will make a veteran expendable by New Years

Carson Riddle: Looks like a London Knight! Small fast skilled forward, took a couple penalties one for a slash playing a little hard at the line and one for a hook as the first player back on a breakaway (borderline call looked more like a stick lift) but came and and scored a beautiful goal after the second penalty. Not sure if he is really an option as he is a Michigan State commit playing in the USHL so he may of just been here to get some ice time in, but is definitely worth another look at main camp, + as an 01 he wouldn’t take one of our 4 16 year old spots.

Grant Eastwood: Good supporting shifts with Stranges and Evangelista, didn’t look out of place, however didn’t show a whole ton on his own. Good base to grow from

As Starry Knight mentioned Bangs was great, not much else to say there

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Players that stood out to me
Team Gold
Gerard Keane: one of the more noticeable D men on the ice, good outlet pass, joined the rush a few times and scored a nice goal, decent speed, good laterals on the BlueLine needs to work on his shot

Emmet Pierce: a few good shifts but very lanky still, needs to work on some cheeseburgers to move up to the OHL level

Ryan Taylor: couldn’t find anything on this guy online (only Ryan Taylor that comes up is a 2012 Knights draft pick) but did score a nice goal on a laser of a snap shot.

Vincent Labelle: Fast! Really turned it on a few times, but invisible most of the scrimmages

Max Klanow: May be a great FA pickup if that’s in the cards, played a good offensive game. Quick on the puck and caused a few odd man rushes in the offensive zone. However not much of a 2 way game

Dane Dowiak: solid day on the ice, over shadowed by a few of the other players on the ice, See’s the ice well and can find the holes in the d on the fly. Made a few very nice plays winning puck battles that lead to scoring chances.

Owen Willis: Made some great saves. Great positioning and made a beautiful cross crease glove save. Best goalie on the ice today

Liam Whittaker is progressing nicely and Panwar was as noted in previous post

Could this be Ryan Taylor?

Ryan Taylor

Same place where the Tkachuk's played (St.Louis). Another 01' out of the US.

Reactions: Fastpace and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Could this be Ryan Taylor?

Ryan Taylor

Same place where the Tkachuk's played (St.Louis). Another 01' out of the US.
Looks like a pretty good stat line for this guy!
Wow from the sounds of it there were some talented player there eh? How many guys looked like they could play in the OHL next season?

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Well it was nice to see the signings. I thought they might have waited a bit. I liked Dowiak but he is 15 so maybe they can sign him next year or sign him and send him back to USA for a year to grow and season. I liked the free agent Kennedy kid. He is a late birthday and is only 16 until Sept. so you never know and he could make Fallowfield expendable. Bangs looked good as he should having played JR B last year as did Whittaker. The main camp will be where eyes will be opened if you ask me as a bunch of them seemed a tad nervous. It all will depend on the NHL and Euro Draft where who suits up. Personally if Bouchard, Foudy and Formenton come back + the addition of 2 Euros and the 4 signed today there will be a bunch of players moved. This really a great experience for the kids regardless of where the end up and hopefully they can grow from this camp.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd say Stranges is a lock, Evangelista could get 40-50 games, Panwar also 35-50 games and Keane 30-50 games

LW: Formenton, Dunkley/OA, Popov, Duhart, Whittaker
C: Moskal, Stranges, Dunkley/OA, Panwar
RW: Foudy, Import, McMichael, Evangelista, Pierce
LD: Regula, OA, Whittaker, Bangs
RD: Bouchard, Perrott, Import, Keane
G: Raaymakers, Kooy

- Trade Tymkin, Nelson, Coome, Golden, Cottam, Fallowfield and Turko for picks (if you can).
- Trade Rowe + Picks for a high end OA defenseman.
- Acquire a top 9 OA forward, preferably with a little bit of size. The position depends upon who you get as an Import pick and where Dunkley is deployed.
- Have any of the other invitees who impress come to camp to try and steal away some of the depth spots from other prospects or act as insurance. Definitely should be prepared for Bouchard and Formenton potentially leaving, and should also not anticipate either of the Import picks showing up either. Some of the spots would probably have to be filled through trade, but others could be filled by some of the 00's/01's invited to camp, or by not trading some of the guys listed above.

Evangelista/Pierce split time. Duhart gets some time at LW and C to split with Whittaker and Panwar. Bangs/Whittaker split time. Keane/Import split time.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Well it was nice to see the signings. I thought they might have waited a bit. I liked Dowiak but he is 15 so maybe they can sign him next year or sign him and send him back to USA for a year to grow and season. I liked the free agent Kennedy kid. He is a late birthday and is only 16 until Sept. so you never know and he could make Fallowfield expendable. Bangs looked good as he should having played JR B last year as did Whittaker. The main camp will be where eyes will be opened if you ask me as a bunch of them seemed a tad nervous. It all will depend on the NHL and Euro Draft where who suits up. Personally if Bouchard, Foudy and Formenton come back + the addition of 2 Euros and the 4 signed today there will be a bunch of players moved. This really a great experience for the kids regardless of where the end up and hopefully they can grow from this camp.
Everyone is talking about this Joe Kennedy guy so after 1 day of viewing is he OHL caliber ? Would he make the Knight Defence? Looks like we will have Bouchard(hopefully gets sent back), Regula, Perrott, Keane, Bangs, L.Whittaker, Coome, Fallowfield, Golden at least all battling for spots ...

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Everyone is talking about this Joe Kennedy guy so after 1 day of viewing is he OHL caliber ? Would he make the Knight Defence? Looks like we will have Bouchard(hopefully gets sent back), Regula, Perrott, Keane, Bangs, L.Whittaker, Coome, Fallowfield, Golden at least all battling for spots ...

I follow Saginaw a fair bit as well and their fans said he was someone who could have made their team in 2018-2019. Apparently impressed in their rookie camp last year too. Only 10 points (3 goals) in 43 OJHL games, but he's very physical and a solid presence on the blue line.

I doubt he's ready for full time OHL duty, but like people said, he's a late birthday. He's only 16 right now. He could probably take Fallowfield's role next year and then get a full time job somewhere the year after that. Think Mattinen's progression (decent production in Jr. as a D+1 then 39 games in OHL, then full timer), but obviously different players.

I doubt Golden and Coome stick around next year. London will probably want an upgrade on Golden in the top 4, and that likely comes through the form of an OA defenseman, and Whittaker and Bangs could probably handle the bottom pairing job well enough where it's worth it to trade those two for a bounty of picks.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

From my extremely limited viewing, I don't think he beats out all those players.

Reactions: TheCoach and LDN

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I am not a big Fallowfield fan and I think he could be traded for picks and use his roster spot with a player like Kennedy to play but does not have to be Kennedy. Neither one will get big minutes and a 16 year old to me has more upside then an 18 year old in limited duty. He looked steady today but this is rookie camp not the OHL or main camp in September. I could however see him getting an invite to main camp.

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region
LW: Formenton, Dunkley/OA, Popov, Duhart, Whittaker
C: Moskal, Stranges, Dunkley/OA, Panwar
RW: Foudy, Import, McMichael, Evangelista, Pierce
LD: Regula, OA, Whittaker, Bangs
RD: Bouchard, Perrott, Import, Keane
G: Raaymakers, Kooy

- Trade Tymkin, Nelson, Coome, Golden, Cottam, Fallowfield and Turko for picks (if you can).
- Trade Rowe + Picks for a high end OA defenseman.
- Acquire a top 9 OA forward, preferably with a little bit of size. The position depends upon who you get as an Import pick and where Dunkley is deployed.
- Have any of the other invitees who impress come to camp to try and steal away some of the depth spots from other prospects or act as insurance. Definitely should be prepared for Bouchard and Formenton potentially leaving, and should also not anticipate either of the Import picks showing up either. Some of the spots would probably have to be filled through trade, but others could be filled by some of the 00's/01's invited to camp, or by not trading some of the guys listed above.

Evangelista/Pierce split time. Duhart gets some time at LW and C to split with Whittaker and Panwar. Bangs/Whittaker split time. Keane/Import split time.

I do like most of your post until I saw the Rowe trading part. The kid is learning a team system, it takes time like most young Knights do in their first couple years, some get it sooner then others.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
I missed the mini camp today and won’t be there tomorrow, I was ready to go this morning with cafe in hand when my youngest son asked me to spend the day with him at the big Ball Hockey Tourney in London this weekend where he plays in. His wife need his car for the weekend so dad was there to the rescue.

There will be lot of changes this fall, players that will play team system and put up numbers will have the ice time, even if the kid is only 15-16 yr old, that’s always been Hunters way since he arrived in London. We remember Rick Nash and Corey Perry in each of their respected first years in this league, they got the ice very early in their careers.

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I am not a big Fallowfield fan and I think he could be traded for picks and use his roster spot with a player like Kennedy to play but does not have to be Kennedy. Neither one will get big minutes and a 16 year old to me has more upside then an 18 year old in limited duty. He looked steady today but this is rookie camp not the OHL or main camp in September. I could however see him getting an invite to main camp.
Hope we can find a guy like Fallowfield a spot...came in as a free agent from St Thomas....I would agree you go with a 16/17 year old over an 18 year old if they can make the same contribution , but I do think the Knights organization will handle this with class. They will find all the players a place to play

Reactions: Fastpace

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
Most of the time I wish the rink was 5-6K at the most. The 9K seats have been a great recruiting tool but the current fanbase, constant advertising, and high prices have made me very b!tchy.

Reactions: aresknights

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Most of the time I wish the rink was 5-6K at the most. The 9K seats have been a great recruiting tool but the current fanbase, constant advertising, and high prices have made me very b!tchy.

Do you think the prices would be any lower if the rink was only 5-6K?

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Wow If Dale Hunter is happy to bring these guys in you know they are skilled!

So Roster continues to fill out this would be my current depth chart.

Formenton(99)-Moskal(00)-Foudy(00)
Popov(00)-Dunkley(00)-McMichael(01)
Duhart(01)-Stranges(02)-Rowe(01)
Whittaker(00)-Panwar(02)-Evangelista(02)
Nelson(99)-Turko(99)-Tymkin(99)
Pierce(01)-Cottam(99)

Rugula(00)-Bouchard(99)
Coome(99)-Perrott(01)
Golden(99)-L.Whittaker(01)
Bangs(00)-Keane(02)

Raaymakers(98OA)
Kooy(00)

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
London Knights reel in four big new prospects

Morris Dalla Costa

More from Morris Dalla Costa

April 21, 2018 5:19 PM EDT
It’s safe to say the Knights couldn’t believe they got all four of the players, considering how highly they were rated.
Luke Evangelista from Oakville was the Knights’ first pick, 14th overall and Brendan Shanahan’s second cousin; Antonio Stranges from Plymouth was the 21st pick, the Knights’ first in the second round; Sahil Panwar moved from Mississauga to San Jose and was the Knights’ second second-round pick at No. 23; while Gerard Keane, a defenceman from Illinois, was their third-round pick, 42nd overall.
Three forwards and a defenceman, all highly-skilled, all good with the puck, and all with good hockey sense — something the Knights were in big need of getting.
The big get was Stranges.
Most scouting services had the slick centre ranked in the Top 5 of draft eligible players some as high as No. 2. He let it be known that he was considering going to the United States national team program before heading to Michigan.
“But the Knights was really the only team I was going to play for,” he said. “I was signed with the U.S. national team and it’s always an honour to play for your country for two years and go to the school that’s in your backyard but it was always an easy decision for me.
“I always knew I wanted to be a Knight. I grew up with the OHL team right next door (the Plymouth Whalers) when London came to town they had more fans than the home team did. Then you see all the great names that came out of this program: (Pat) Kane, (John) Tavares, (Mitch) Marner, you just want to be a part of that. You want to be like them.”
Not surprisingly, Stranges was contacted by a lot of teams that wanted to pick him in the first round but it was either going to be the national team and school or the Knights.
It didn’t hurt that Knights players like Alex Regula, Dalton Duhart and Andrew Perrott kept contacting Stranges through the summer.
“They were texting me all summer ‘you got to go with the Knights,’” he said. “That helped, them giving me the text about what it’s all about here. Tommy (Mannino) came over for dinner five times. Between all of them they made the decision easy.”
Panwar said when London drafted him there was no decision about whether he would come here to play.
“When you get drafted by London, it’s so prestigious you can’t turn it down,” he said. “It’s one of the best in all junior hockey.”
Simpson, the Knights general manager, said the Knights did their homework and believed they could land all these players but there’s always a risk.
“When we went into the draft we knew there was some interest (by the players in playing in London) especially with Gerard’s brother playing here (Joey Keane with the Barrie Colts) but until you get to this moment when they sign and put on a jersey, you just never know,” Simpson said.
“Sahil had a good relationship with Tommy. They’d done some skill work and on-ice work and they know the family really well.”
This is the type of draft class the Knights were hoping for when they opted to become sellers at the trade deadline this year.
“We’re hoping for this,” Hunter said. “We went through how many years of trading picks and we had to replenish and this is the kind of crop we were hoping for.
I love the skill level.
“You have to skate; you have to have hockey sense; and these players have it.
The fans will love them.”
London Knights reel in four big new prospects

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I think trading Tymkin would be a grave mistake. This team is pillowy soft as is, and I couldn’t imagine how bad it would be if Cole wasn’t in the lineup.
My expendables would be Rowe and Popov. If Jack McBain is drafted in the first round in NHL draft, I’d go knocking on Barrie’s door for his rights. Big skilled centre. Rowe is young I know, but the Knights are loaded with young talent.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I think trading Tymkin would be a grave mistake. This team is pillowy soft as is, and I couldn’t imagine how bad it would be if Cole wasn’t in the lineup.
My expendables would be Rowe and Popov. If Jack McBain is drafted in the first round in NHL draft, I’d go knocking on Barrie’s door for his rights. Big skilled centre. Rowe is young I know, but the Knights are loaded with young talent.
I agree, but he needs to learn not to take such silly penalties. I agree also with the Jack Mcbain thing,
Knights should go after him, Alex Turcotte is another player I would look at trading for. Bode Wilde would look nice in a Knights uniform. Jack Hughes would also look really nice in a Knights uni haha...I'm obviously just throwing names out there, but we have the picks to get one or a couple of these guys. From this year Will Cuylle and Cole Perfetti should be our targets....We have picks and a surplus of OHL level player who could be traded for picks so we are in a nice position going into the season...

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
I like Rowe and Popov’s potential a lot more than Tymkin’s.

But Tymkin (and Turko) aren’t going anywhere. The staff loves them. Furthermore, the team is short on 99s as it is. The Knights probably don’t want a team full of 16-18 year olds.

On a different note, is Morris Dalla Costa now in better physical shape than Tom Mannino? Jesus.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
If Tymkin don’t mind riding the back seat of the fourth line, then and only then should he be given a spot on this year’s team. Rowe showed some little signs before he got hurt in a fight with Guess of Kitchener, he was handling himself fairly well until he awkwardly fell on the ice. Did anyone notice Moskal standing up to Stanley and watched his fighting this past season, he got into couple good ones. I think the Knights will have some grits hidden in their lineup but we also must recognize fighting is no longer the big norm in this league anymore.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I’d be fine with a 4th line of Whittaker-Turko-Tymkin
I’m not counting on Formenton coming back, so a high end import and some extra bodies traded for a top 6 upgrade would top my wish list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->