London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
For your reading pleasure...

After signing with Sens, Tkachuk pursues life as teen in NHL

KNIGHTS HAVE VESTED INTEREST IN SENS’ YOUTH MOVEMENT

Nobody will be watching Ottawa Senators training camp closer than the Hunter brothers with the London Knights. The Knights’ season could change significantly depending on what happens with Brady Tkachuk and Alex Formenton.

Tkachuk’s decision to leave Boston University means the Senators have the option of sending the power winger to London if they don’t deem him ready to play in the NHL. (The Senators could also choose to ship Tkachuk to Belleville of the AHL). Should Tkachuk be assigned to London, it’s expected that he would become a dominant player at the OHL level.

Formenton, who played a single game for the Senators last season before being re-assigned to London, scored 29 goals and 19 assists in 48 regular season games for the Knights in 2017-18. He also scored five goals and two assists in four playoff games and was a star on Canada’s gold medal winning world junior team. Formenton, generally regarded as the fastest player in the OHL, must be sent back to junior if he doesn’t stick with the Senators.

If both Tkachuk and Formenton end up in London as potential linemates on a first line, the Hunters could be poised for a run at an OHL title. Mark Hunter, former director of player personnel with the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Friday that he was returning as Knights’ general manager, a team he co-owns with brother Dale Hunter.

In that case, Formenton and Tkachuk would also likely become enemies during the world junior tournament during the Christmas holidays, key players for Canada and the United States, respectively.

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Brady Tkachuk landing in London would be quite the score for the OHL. As a fan of junior hockey, I personally would love to see it. However the reality is that the chances of a top 4 pick going directly to the NHL is no longer uncommon. And based on what has been written, BT and the Ottawa Senators agreed to an entry level contract with the intention of playing in the nhl this year.

After signing with Senators, Brady Tkachuk pursues life as a teenager in the NHL
After signing with Senators, Brady Tkachuk pursues life as a teenager in the NHL

Not surprisingly, there is no doubt in Brady Tkachuk’s mind about where he should be playing next season.
Senators announce entry-level contract with top draft pick Brady Tkachuk

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Brady Tkachuk landing in London would be quite the score for the OHL. As a fan of junior hockey, I personally would love to see it. However the reality is that the chances of a top 4 pick going directly to the NHL is no longer uncommon. And based on what has been written, BT and the Ottawa Senators agreed to an entry level contract with the intention of playing in the nhl this year.

Not surprisingly, there is no doubt in Brady Tkachuk’s mind about where he should be playing next season.
Senators announce entry-level contract with top draft pick Brady Tkachuk

Very reminiscent to Max Jones comments last year when he too wanted to play in the NHL with the Ducks. Brady Tkachuk and other young hopefuls has to think positive if they want to succeed with their goals to play at the next level

Reactions: zman77 and Sam14

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Very reminiscent to Max Jones comments last year when he too wanted to play in the NHL with the Ducks. Brady Tkachuk and other young hopefuls has to think positive if they want to succeed with their goals to play at the next level

OHL teams need to be cautious with players whose single mindset is to play in the NHL and start earning pro money. We all saw what happened to Max Jones level of play and commitment to his OHL teams last year.

Reactions: zman77

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
OHL teams need to be cautious with players whose single mindset is to play in the NHL and start earning pro money. We all saw what happened to Max Jones level of play and commitment to his OHL teams last year.

I think it’s more prudent planning. If he did not sign his ELC and was injured at BU he would never receive a penny of his contract. In signing his ELC he will for sure get between 3-5M, would you not cash a winning lottery ticket?

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
I think it’s more prudent planning. If he did not sign his ELC and was injured at BU he would never receive a penny of his contract. In signing his ELC he will for sure get between 3-5M, would you not cash a winning lottery ticket?

Yes. I would. A question of interest how much of would BT receive if he played in the NHL? And how much if he plays in the AHL this year?

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Every player is focused on that.. that's why they play.

For the record, the last 4th overall drafted player to play with any regularity in the NHL the year of his draft was Seth Jones in 2013. The last forward was Evander Kane in 2009.

That being said every situation is unique, but it's far from a lock that Tkachuk plays in the NHL this year. I believe someone posted the Sens depth chart earlier (or elsewhere) , they don't have a whole lot of room for him at this point.

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

It is exactly for that reason (single mindset) someone like Max Jones didn’t make the NHL last season and why he needed to be sent down for more seasoning . To show positive thinking is a great thing for a young prospect but to demonstrate extreme cockiness is what it’s not needed at the next level.

The system in place seems to work fine to help the maturity side of the young hopefuls.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I would think Papa bear would have explained the options to Brady and had some foresight into what he needs to do to play in NHL. That said if sent here he will report with a Tkachuk attitude and ready to play. The goal is set and they are aware what steps need to be in place to make it happen. Learning from Dale and Company is not a bad option to have.

Reactions: Fastpace and Otto

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Every player is focused on that.. that's why they play.

For the record, the last 4th overall drafted player to play with any regularity in the NHL the year of his draft was Seth Jones in 2013. The last forward was Evander Kane in 2009.

That being said every situation is unique, but it's far from a lock that Tkachuk plays in the NHL this year. I believe someone posted the Sens depth chart earlier (or elsewhere) , they don't have a whole lot of room for him at this point.

This was in the Sun. We’ll all be watching this closely.

The 6-3 Tkachuk has as good a chance as anybody to make the Senators roster for this coming season. As of Saturday, the list of left-wingers on the roster included Ryan Dzingel, Mikkel Boedker, Max McCormick, Magnus Paajarvi, Tom Pyatt and Zack Smith.
Smith will likely be moved to centre if he’s not traded before camp begins, Pyatt can be moved to the right side and there’s no guarantee McCormick will be in Ottawa to start the season.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
This was in the Sun. We’ll all be watching this closely.

The 6-3 Tkachuk has as good a chance as anybody to make the Senators roster for this coming season. As of Saturday, the list of left-wingers on the roster included Ryan Dzingel, Mikkel Boedker, Max McCormick, Magnus Paajarvi, Tom Pyatt and Zack Smith.
Smith will likely be moved to centre if he’s not traded before camp begins, Pyatt can be moved to the right side and there’s no guarantee McCormick will be in Ottawa to start the season.
As previously mentioned, only 2 Sens have stuck in the NHL in their draft year: Bonk and Daigle.
BT the 3rd? We'll see...

Reactions: LDN and zman77

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Quick question if anyone knows, can they send tkachuk to the ahl for a period of time then send him to world juniors then assign him to junior. To see if he can play at the ahl level before sending him down.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think the Sens forwards look something like this:

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Boedker-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-White-Gaborik
Paajarvi-Brown-Pyatt

They definitely have room for Tkachuk then. He could slot on that top line LW easily. It wouldn't be pretty, but at least they'd have youth and some upside throughout the lineup. If guys like Ryan, Boedker and Gaborik do well enough, then at least they may be avoiding the basement next year.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
I think the Sens forwards look something like this:

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Boedker-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-White-Gaborik
Paajarvi-Brown-Pyatt

Oh boy, the leftwing is dreadfully weak, not good news for those us hoping to see him play in the OHL.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
They definitely have room for Tkachuk then. He could slot on that top line LW easily. It wouldn't be pretty, but at least they'd have youth and some upside throughout the lineup. If guys like Ryan, Boedker and Gaborik do well enough, then at least they may be avoiding the basement next year.

Senators are going to be buy out Gaborik as soon as he is healthy. He had surgery for a herniated disk in April.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
but do u think it’s good for his development to be a part of that tire fire

I completely agree with you! We just need Guy Boucher to agree with us.

“It’s wide open,” Senators coach Guy Boucher said of the opportunities for younger players, while watching Tkachuk at development camp in late June. “I’m looking forward to, if we can, have a young guy on every line. It depends on how they do (in training camp), but I would love to have the greatest number of young guys make our team.”

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Senators are going to be buy out Gaborik as soon as he is healthy. He had surgery for a herniated disk in April.
Gaborik wont be healthy till January. I believe they need Gaboriks salary to hit the cap floor not to mention Bouchard has never been big on having alot of youth in his line up

Reactions: Fastpace

TF519

Jun 9, 2014

Could have major impact on Bouchard. Understand Sekera is a LH shot but Oilers have limited D depth.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014

Could have major impact on Bouchard. Understand Sekera is a LH shot but Oilers have limited D depth.

there is a chance but if he plays like he did in the showcase i doubt it will effect him. He needs to work on the corner battles and his foot speed this will be his biggest test yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad