London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
On the Byfield penalty, if the rule is did he have control in the neutral or attacking zone. may be the question. The foul occurred right near the blueline, did Foudy ever have "control" in the neutral zone or was he tripped before he had control. a replay would answer and \i dont have access to one.

Interesting game from a Sudbury standpoint. My wife and I discussed it on the way home. she thought London was better team and their talent and work rate won out. I thought Wolves were better on the night and it was a very winnable game with the Power Play as their undoing.

On the Byfield penalty, if the rule is did he have control in the neutral or attacking zone. may be the question. The foul occurred right near the blueline, did Foudy ever have "control" in the neutral zone or was he tripped before he had control. a replay would answer and \i dont have access to one.

Interesting game from a Sudbury standpoint. My wife and I discussed it on the way home. she thought London was better team and their talent and work rate won out. I thought Wolves were better on the night and it was a very winnable game with the Power Play as their undoing.
Byfield and Foudy got tangled up...Byfield did trip Foudy but then Foudy gained his stride and control of the puck and shot wide. I think the trip was the correct call as the official let the play unfold and Foudy did get an unabated attempt on the empty net

Old Watcher

Dec 30, 2018
Someone is ripping on Kevin Hancock. Wow.

Just what do you expect?

Suzuki 1 goal and 7 assists (playing with?) in 5 games. 1.60 points per game.

Hancock 5 goals and 6 assists (playing with?) in 7 games. 1.57 points per game.

Hancock is always going to be that guy who gets no respect. It's a shame. He's a guy that ONLY helps make anyone he plays with better.

Having both of them was nice. BTW....their line was broken up before they left. Hancock moved to second line to spread the scoring. Hancock's stats didn't even notice the change except for the surge. Reached number one in scoring during the WJC.

Try to relax. London looks fine.

Someone is ripping on Kevin Hancock. Wow.

Just what do you expect?

Suzuki 1 goal and 7 assists (playing with?) in 5 games. 1.60 points per game.

Hancock 5 goals and 6 assists (playing with?) in 7 games. 1.57 points per game.

Hancock is always going to be that guy who gets no respect. It's a shame. He's a guy that ONLY helps make anyone he plays with better.

Having both of them was nice. BTW....their line was broken up before they left. Hancock moved to second line to spread the scoring. Hancock's stats didn't even notice the change except for the surge. Reached number one in scoring during the WJC.

Try to relax. London looks fine.
I'm 100% happy they chose to go after Hancock. I just see him as a more complete 200 ft player. Some people just aren't happy unless "their guy" is wearing a London jersey and everyone else was the wrong move. Hancock fit our needs better. Period

Old Watcher

Dec 30, 2018
I'm 100% happy they chose to go after Hancock. I just see him as a more complete 200 ft player. Some people just aren't happy unless "their guy" is wearing a London jersey and everyone else was the wrong move. Hancock fit our needs better. Period

London picked him from the crowd. They have a pretty good record for success.

Hancock will not hurt London's chances. He does everything better than most.

Too bad your penalty kill is so good because he's deadly in that role as well. He's a PP and PK beast and he's not even heavily involved in London. Yet he has 11 points in 7 games. Winner and insurance last night. +3.

You just gotta wonder what people really expect.

He doesn't even really look settled in yet. Trust me.....I've been paying attention to this player for a few years now. He's just starting to dial it up. Again, I'd love to see him do his puck grab on the PK or use his vision and passing even more on that PP.

You can argue all day about why he wasn't drafted (slow on the first couple of steps or living off of Suzuki and Gadj.....I've heard some of them). The fact is, he's one of the top junior players in the country.....and they lived off of him in my opinion.

Now Zukes has Entwistle.....and Hancock will make due just fine.

Last edited:
London picked him from the crowd. They have a pretty good record for success.

Hancock will not hurt London's chances. He does everything better than most.

Too bad your penalty kill is so good because he's deadly in that role as well. He's a PP and PK beast and he's not even heavily involved in London. Yet he has 11 points in 7 games. Winner and insurance last night. +3.

You just gotta wonder what people really expect.

He doesn't even really look settled in yet. Trust me.....I've been paying attention to this player for a few years now. He's just starting to dial it up. Again, I'd love to see him do his puck grab on the PK or use his vision and passing even more on that PP.

You can argue all day about why he wasn't drafted (slow on the first couple of steps or living off of Suzuki and Gadj.....I've heard some of them). The fact is, he's one of the top junior players in the country.....and they lived off of him in my opinion.

Now Zukes has Entwistle.....and Hancock will make due just fine.
If there is anything that would/could draw scouts/teams away from drafting Hancock, it's his 1st 2 strides when attempting to get to speed. He has a stride very similar to Claude Giroux..very choppy in the 1st couple of strides. It gives the illusion that he doesn't have a strong stride and that he struggles to get going. Really not the case, but 1st impressions are usually lasting. Only knock I've seen so far is he does get caught flatfooted sometimes and can get beat wide by better skaters. That's easily remedied but you have to be willing to put the work in to correct it

Old Watcher

Dec 30, 2018
If there is anything that would/could draw scouts/teams away from drafting Hancock, it's his 1st 2 strides when attempting to get to speed. He has a stride very similar to Claude Giroux..very choppy in the 1st couple of strides. It gives the illusion that he doesn't have a strong stride and that he struggles to get going.

You can see it. I can see it. That's why I say he's just getting dialed up.

In Owen Sound he kept his feet moving...circling in place to negate the slow start. He's still figuring things out and you can see it (standing still and watching the play, rather than 'hovering' around the area). He's fast enough after a few steps.....so he needs to get the first steps out of the way by use of a more constant motion.

He needs to be in motion all the time....for a faster take-off.

This is his only knock as far as I know.

Last edited:

JagrBomb93

Mar 1, 2014
London, Ontario
I think in order to be effective Foudy and Formenton have to be on separate lines. Put them together and they try too hard to one up each other. I still believe McMichael/Dunkley/Guskov is our most natural line and expect them to be together once Formenton returns.

but....Here's a shake up

Foudy/Hancock/McMichael
Formenton/Dunkley/Guskov
Tymkin/Moskal/Cotter
Stranges/Turko/Nelson
I like this 3rd line. Cotter can play the grind and cycle game with Tymkin and Moskal no problem and adds more offence then Turko.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Good effort last night, choppy game till the third then we shut it down and stepped on the throat. It would be nice to see Guskov healthy he was nursing on the bench in the third again. Love the acquisition of Handcock and he has been effective as a Knight, I was just disappointed that we ran out of cards at the deadline. Let’s move on from that.

When Formenton is back he needs to play with Foudy to set the pace. Foudy slows down when playing with anybody else. I would put McMichael or Handcock as the triggerman on the line.

Ideal if everyone is healthy,

Foudy Hancock Formenton
Cotter Dunkley McMicheal
Turko Moskal Tymkin
Stranges Guskov Panwar
Evangelista

Last edited:
Reactions: Fastpace
Good effort last night, choppy game till the third then we shut it down and stepped on the throat. It would be nice to see Guskov healthy he was nursing on the bench in the third again. Love the acquisition of Handcock and he has been effective as a Knight, I was just disappointed that we ran out of cards at the deadline. Let’s move on from that.

When Formenton is back he needs to play with Foudy to set the pace. Foudy slows down when playing with anybody else. I would put McMichael or Handcock as the triggerman on the line.

Ideal if everyone is healthy,

Foudy Handcock Formenton
Cotter Dunkley McMicheal
Turko Moskal Tymkin
Stranges Guskov Panwar
Evangelista
I think you should learn the correct spelling of Hancock. What you do while you're alone in the privacy of your own home shouldn't be anyone's business when discussing line combos ;)

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
London Knights 5, Sudbury Wolves 3

Ryan Pyette
Updated: January 18, 2019
The Knights stopped the Wolves’ four-game win streak and rebounded from their one-goal defeat Thursday in Barrie. They’re still a single point behind Ottawa, who blanked Peterborough 4-0, for first overall in the OHL point standings.
London also ended star Wolves netminder Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen’s personal run of 11 straight victories. The big Finnish world junior hero’s last loss was Nov. 21 in Sault Ste. Marie.
Joseph Raaymakers made 33 saves in London’s net.
KNIGHT WATCH-ING: Just as the Blackhawks keep a close eye on Adam Boqvist, the Blue Jackets have daily interaction with their latest first-rounder Liam Foudy.
Often, it’s former Knights GM Basil McRae.
“I try to follow everything they do,” he said. “That’s where I’m trying to play one day and the more you know, it helps.”
He became the fourth Knight, including newcomer Kevin Hancock, to register 20 goals this season during the first period against the Wolves. He is on his way to surpassing last year’s sophomore total of 24.
It was his fifth straight game with a goal.
When Alex Formenton returns from injury in a couple of weeks, Foudy will have even more open space to operate.
London Knights 5, Sudbury Wolves 3

Reactions: LDN and Fastpace

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Alex Formenton = Game Breaker.
Nice snap shot and good finish around the net.
Ottawa thinks highly of him and will be a regular in 2019-20.
Looking forward seeing Formenton in 2 weeks for the Knights.
He'll be in excellent shape physically to take a run for the '19 Cup.
Team Canada chose him over Nick Suzuki and Glass as an 18 year old.
Like Foudy, Formenton is a better play-maker given credit on this board.

Reactions: LDN and Fastpace

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Happy to get my hands on one of these tonight

Attachments

• 20190119_180232.jpg
    20190119_180232.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: LDN and TheCoach

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
3mpbL9ZH_bigger.jpg
Geoffrey Brandow‏ @GeoffreyBrandow 12h12 hours ago

Geoffrey Brandow Retweeted Geoffrey Brandow
#OHL Did you know? This is the 8th time since the 2003-2004 season (that's 16 years)
that the London Knights have recorded less than 10 regulation losses when
they've won their 30th game of the year.
30 victories in 42 games ties for 7th fastest in Internet Era.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
3mpbL9ZH_bigger.jpg
Geoffrey Brandow‏ @GeoffreyBrandow 12h12 hours ago

Geoffrey Brandow Retweeted Geoffrey Brandow
#OHL Did you know? This is the 8th time since the 2003-2004 season (that's 16 years)
that the London Knights have recorded less than 10 regulation losses when
they've won their 30th game of the year.
30 victories in 42 games ties for 7th fastest in Internet Era.
wow impressive

Reactions: Fastpace

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I still think the Knights downfall this season will be the lack of a bonafide playmaker/scoring threat (and to some extent, the lack of size up front). This is where I think Brazeau would've been a great addition.

The Barrie game was a great example of how the Knights can be shut down by a good defensive team (and Barrie's not even that good) and pushed around by a bigger defensive core. The score was 3-2 less than half way through the game, and the Knights were unable to get the tying marker. When the Knights won their Memorial Cups, they had a Corey Perry or a Mitch Marner to rely upon (in addition to a great supporting cast). This year, I feel we have a good supporting cast, but are missing that one key ingredient who can be counted on when the game is on the line. Even with a line of Marner, Dvorak and Tkachuk, we still had to go to OT to squeak out a win in the final. Trust me, I still hope we can get it done, but a trio of Formenton, Hancock and Foudy just doesn't instill the same amount of confidence as the Marner trio or a Perry, Shremp, Bolland combo. All I can say is, we'd better get really, really good at keeping the puck out of our own net!

Reactions: three dog night
I still think the Knights downfall this season will be the lack of a bonafide playmaker/scoring threat (and to some extent, the lack of size up front). This is where I think Brazeau would've been a great addition.

The Barrie game was a great example of how the Knights can be shut down by a good defensive team (and Barrie's not even that good) and pushed around by a bigger defensive core. The score was 3-2 less than half way through the game, and the Knights were unable to get the tying marker. When the Knights won their Memorial Cups, they had a Corey Perry or a Mitch Marner to rely upon (in addition to a great supporting cast). This year, I feel we have a good supporting cast, but are missing that one key ingredient who can be counted on when the game is on the line. Even with a line of Marner, Dvorak and Tkachuk, we still had to go to OT to squeak out a win in the final. Trust me, I still hope we can get it done, but a trio of Formenton, Hancock and Foudy just doesn't instill the same amount of confidence as the Marner trio or a Perry, Shremp, Bolland combo. All I can say is, we'd better get really, really good at keeping the puck out of our own net!
I think our goaltending is gonna be our Achilles heal. Luckily there isn't too many goalies in the league this season that can single-handedly win a series. We hit a hot tender in Barrie,,,he won the game for them, that and we didn't skate. Full marks to Barrie for making it tough, but that 1st goal stands and I think you see a different game in Barrie. Brazeau really wouldn't have added more than what we currently have.

Reactions: Knights2729

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
The biggest problem in the Barrie game is we did not use our speed. When you don’t use a weapon you playing the game with a hand tied behind your back. When the speediest player on ice is Nelson we are not going to win those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad