London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
Sorry soo hound girl, I didn't mean to get you upset, but your hounds needs to get themselves a little more organized in the team system department to claim a place on my list of favorites. I must however say they may have enough talent it's in the team structured system that is lacking to win in a high end short series (semi or finals) and yet they do well for the good part of long seasons. Tell me if I am wrong, you find your team changing their style doing things they were not doing before new players arrives and it carrie into the playoffs. Soo beat London twice this season I know and to most pairs of eyes they are seeing the winning team as the better team. What is hidden in a team system is what most are not seeing, it's very hard for a new coach or GM to break an old team habit instill inn for a few years now but it's very possible. Better hope for your team sake that I am wrong and hope your favorite team do well and if they do I trust you will join your team cup victory celebration, and I of course will continue to cheer for the team at the other end of the ice hoping for our own celebration.
I'd put my money on the Soo in a 7 game series. ;)

tbkght77

Oct 12, 2017
Somehow I think there is something else brewing, it just don't feel they are done yet. Could be because we waited in the past right up to the last hour before Mark would come out with an announcement, maybe this is where I get this feeling from.

They may make a move for picks, but it’s pretty clear they can’t roster any new players. Even Stubbs wrote a article about it...I’d take his word to be fact.

I personally like this team. Very strong down the middle. Excellent top 5D, and a top goalie pairing.

Once things settle, could see a third line of Stranges/Cotter/Tymkin really make some noise.(Would be my preference...have no idea what lines will look like as Moskal would be a very effective 3C as well).

Really like the team dynamic...kept up play during the WJ break. Lots of character. A good mix of top talent, veteran leadership and role players. Will be fun to see how things play out.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I know you don't see the Greyhounds very much, but I find that they are a very strict system oriented team. They rarely bring in players from outside the organization because it takes a very specific kind of player to fit in on the Greyhounds. If you don't do things their way then you will sit no matter who you are.

They remind me a lot of the San Antonio Spurs of the NBA in that regard. It has a lot of advantages and disadvantages, but it works for them.

I find the Knights are a lot more adaptive and change their system to adapt to the talent. Coach Hunter is a brilliant tactician and always finds the right setup for the team. That's the proper approach when you have access to a lot of American talent that other teams can't afford. One thing I find consistently with Coach Hunter though is that he likes his defensemen to pinch. The Greyhounds have exploited that a lot in the last 10 games with many quick transition goals. I'm sure that would be addressed in a playoff series, but it's just something I've picked up on over the years.

Good luck the rest of the season!
Very nicely put Fischhaber, good post

I have been to few Greyhounds games over the years at the old Sault Memorial Garden but only been up once at the GFL in 2013, I always enjoyed my trips there and glad they put heaters that works in the new Garden man was it cold in the old one . And yes I witnessed all the howling at the Greyhounds/Wolves rivalry games as well in both cities.

The Hunters have an act to insure that all five hockey sticks are doing something useful on the ice with or without the puck, and have been very successful at it, and that twenty minds does not starts thinking in 20 separate ways on the team. If you know what I am trying to say.

Thanks for the luck and I am extending it right back at you as well for a successful season

Reactions: Fischhaber

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
They may make a move for picks, but it’s pretty clear they can’t roster any new players. Even Stubbs wrote a article about it...I’d take his word to be fact.

I personally like this team. Very strong down the middle. Excellent top 5D, and a top goalie pairing.

Once things settle, could see a third line of Stranges/Cotter/Tymkin really make some noise.(Would be my preference...have no idea what lines will look like as Moskal would be a very effective 3C as well).

Really like the team dynamic...kept up play during the WJ break. Lots of character. A good mix of top talent, veteran leadership and role players. Will be fun to see how things play out.

Well let’s go with what we have then, still plenty of work to do with the young’s and new comers but we do have all the talent needed right here with this team to bring home the big prize.

MikeBossy14

Jan 14, 2018
Ingersoll
I know! I am just an old guy that is out of touch of today’s hockey. I know the kind I’ve met many that tried to tell me all their clues before I always listened to them very attentively because You can learn of things not to duplicate . I do say my piece every chance I can, you take it or leave it and we all move on to the next clue. At my age you don’t have time to let smart aleck bother you, you wish it well and you go on your way to better things. Love being a London Knights fan, how about you?
Huh?

Reactions: aresknights

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
YOU HAVE NO CARDS LEFT IT DOESNT MATTER WHO LEAVES SCHOOL !!!!
Catch up I believe that as long as a player isnt rostered but is on your teams 50 player protected list and is added to the teams roster by Feb 10 he can be added without using a card. I was speaking hypothetically try not to let it consume you

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Just a thought hypothetically what if Gruden leaves Miami University. He would surely be on the knights protected list still. I doubt it happens but it could

A few years ago the Rangers added Jerry D'Amigo after the deadline. The Leafs sent him from the Marlies to the Rangers to finish out the season.

It was early February but the Rangers had to have a vacant card for him in order to allow him to play.

They made sure they did. Obviously there likely were discussions around the OHL trade deadline with the Leafs as to the possibility he'd be sent to Kitchener.

Of course, the OHL changes rules all the time and that was seven or eight years ago.

YOU HAVE NO CARDS LEFT IT DOESNT MATTER WHO LEAVES SCHOOL !!!!
They think they are getting everyone! lol Maybe the Oilers send McDavid back and Dale pulls some strings for him to play an over over over over age year. lol
In certain scenarios..a player can join a team and not be on a playing card. Those scenarios can and do happen. This is where player rights and the 50 player list becomes more important than the 30 regular cards. Perhaps a little less time trolling and a little more time actually learning the system would be time well spent

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I know you don't see the Greyhounds very much, but I find that they are a very strict system oriented team. They rarely bring in players from outside the organization because it takes a very specific kind of player to fit in on the Greyhounds. If you don't do things their way then you will sit no matter who you are.

They remind me a lot of the San Antonio Spurs of the NBA in that regard. It has a lot of advantages and disadvantages, but it works for them.

I find the Knights are a lot more adaptive and change their system to adapt to the talent. Coach Hunter is a brilliant tactician and always finds the right setup for the team. That's the proper approach when you have access to a lot of American talent that other teams can't afford. One thing I find consistently with Coach Hunter though is that he likes his defensemen to pinch. The Greyhounds have exploited that a lot in the last 10 games with many quick transition goals. I'm sure that would be addressed in a playoff series, but it's just something I've picked up on over the years.

Good luck the rest of the season!

Soo makes trades every year and buys talent in run years - not sure how you quantify rarely???

Reactions: Otto

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
In certain scenarios..a player can join a team and not be on a playing card. Those scenarios can and do happen. This is where player rights and the 50 player list becomes more important than the 30 regular cards. Perhaps a little less time trolling and a little more time actually learning the system would be time well spent

Examples please. I posted an example above where the addition of a player to the roster post trade deadline wouldn't have been possible without a card being available.

Has there been a rule change?

I can honestly say I feel panic set in early for the Knights this season and they made moves way too early that cost them dearly. Boqvist was coming back, EVERYONE knew it, they had no need to sign Koly, but they did and it burnt them, but almost everyone knew it would burn them.

I gained knowledge that Bouchard and Formenton would be back in London in the last week of October and posted such...surely the team knew well ahead of anything leaking to the public. I truly think this may come down as the worst card management we have seen with this team. Unfortunate because I believe they had the makings of something really special with the proper moves at this deadline.

Reactions: hockjock

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Examples please. I posted an example above where the addition of a player to the roster post trade deadline wouldn't have been possible without a card being available.

Has there been a rule change?

One example that I seem to recall is if a player from the team's protected list is playing on another team ( Jr. B ) and that team gets eliminated or doesn't make the playoffs in their league, then that player becomes elegible as a call-up. Most teams have players in similar situations playing on "affiliated teams" in various leagues that aren't Major Jr. A

One example that I seem to recall is if a player from the team's protected list is playing on another team ( Jr. B ) and that team gets eliminated or doesn't make the playoffs in their league, then that player becomes elegible as a call-up. Most teams have players in similar situations playing on "affiliated teams" in various leagues that aren't Major Jr. A
Too many fans get their heads wrapped around the addition of big name elite players, the rule has ALWAYS been there and is used EVERY year

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I can honestly say I feel panic set in early for the Knights this season and they made moves way too early that cost them dearly. Boqvist was coming back, EVERYONE knew it, they had no need to sign Koly, but they did and it burnt them, but almost everyone knew it would burn them.

I gained knowledge that Bouchard and Formenton would be back in London in the last week of October and posted such...surely the team knew well ahead of anything leaking to the public. I truly think this may come down as the worst card management we have seen with this team. Unfortunate because I believe they had the makings of something really special with the proper moves at this deadline.

Yup.....perhaps Mark spent a little too much time with the Leafs

Reactions: TheCoach

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
No...It has always been in place. I think you are confusing card and roster spot(protected list and playing rights)

Rangers had designated a card/roster spot to D'Amigo in the event he was demoted from the Marlies. That would have been our 30th card. Not the 31st.

London I believe would have had to do the same if they thought there was a chance Gruden would wind up in London.

I believe players on B cards who are playing in lower leagues, and their season is complete maybe a different ball of wax altogether.

Rangers had designated a card/roster spot to D'Amigo in the event he was demoted from the Marlies. That would have been our 30th card. Not the 31st.

London I believe would have had to do the same if they thought there was a chance Gruden would wind up in London.

I believe players on B cards who are playing in lower leagues, and their season is complete maybe a different ball of wax altogether.
No cards...not A or B..."protected list is the key" and the cutoff for additions to that list is Feb 10th

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016

Card management this season really isn't a huge concern, and shouldn't be. For future seasons, perhaps yes, but for this year, the team didn't and doesn't require major additions to compete in the playoffs.

Those players they added are good solid additions and I believe they'll fit in well with who we have as the future core. Remember just where we are in terms of building a serious contender. It was only last season and during the off season that most of these younger players were added. Next season was the target year, with this one being merely a dress rehearsal. The unexpected additions of Bouchard, Boqvist & Formenton changed the trajectory to a more upward possibility, and this season begins to look like a possible year of contention.
This season is a bonus one, where those younger core group will gain the experience needed to grow into championship contenders.

Perhaps that card limit will prove to be just enough for where we are. Too many changes can also have a negative impact, and the plan goes off course. Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Reactions: Otto and Fastpace
Card management this season really isn't a huge concern, and shouldn't be. For future seasons, perhaps yes, but for this year, the team didn't and doesn't require major additions to compete in the playoffs.

Those players they added are good solid additions and I believe they'll fit in well with who we have as the future core. Remember just where we are in terms of building a serious contender. It was only last season and during the off season that most of these younger players were added. Next season was the target year, with this one being merely a dress rehearsal. The unexpected additions of Bouchard, Boqvist & Formenton changed the trajectory to a more upward possibility, and this season begins to look like a possible year of contention.
This season is a bonus one, where those younger core group will gain the experience needed to grow into championship contenders.

Perhaps that card limit will prove to be just enough for where we are. Too many changes can also have a negative impact, and the plan goes off course. Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.
But Bouchard,Formenton and Boqvist were not unexpected additions. I'd buy this explanation if them arriving was like rubbing the lamp and being granted 3 wishes..but it wasn't. They pulled the trigger too early. Period

Reactions: Fastpace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad