London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
You didnt quote my whole pist for some reason lol. i get it ;) but OK.
No not all those players would have been 1st rd picks, let alone early 1st rd picks as you posted if their agents/advisors said they would play anywhere. Incorrect again Sam. You are exaggerating for effect. Doesnt help your arguement.
And as far as Stanges goes other teams persued him. One other team thought they had him locked up but he changed his mind. So it wasnt London or nothing. LK doesnt knock on his door, he is still in the OHL imo. And thats from more than 1 person.
( re read Ottos posts - they are teens, minds change!!!!)

ok regula maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure, but if you are going to tell me Tkachuk, Dvorak and Stranges were not going to be early 1st round pick than you know absolutely nothing about junior hockey!

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
Bolded is just what you assume but London has done great with non-American prospects as well.

See: Bouchard, Formenton, Foudy, Thomas....late OHL first/2nd/late round to NHL 1st/high NHL 2nd picks...that's what you call development. Horvat: 9th in the OHL 1st round -> 9th in the NHL 1st round.

I'd argue they're a top 2-3 drafting and developing team in the OHL, with or without Americans. Potentially the best.

First and Second round OHL picks usually result in high draft picks.

You can make the argument on Formenton and Horvat, but that's arguable for every OHL team with players that turn out to be absolute gems.

I understand where you're coming from, but high-quality prospects usually turn into high quality players if they're motivated enough.

tbkght77

Oct 12, 2017
Thinking there should be a different thread for this debate, as it is NOT a LK only issue. Getting a bit tired of it! Come here for LK news...not a league wide debate!!

For those who think it’s ONLY a LK issue, I think it’s been intelligently proven that that’s not the case. So let’s, please, move on!

Is it friggin game day yet?!!

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Yes, I was totally embarrassing myself by saying it isn't hard for a team to develop prospects if they get to choose from the top prospects in North America.

London isn't some godly organization at developing prospects, they just get a majority of the highly praised ones. As long as the talent is there to work with, any team in the league could have done the exact same thing with those players that London has done in the past.

You've stooped so low to attempt to personally attack me over a healthy conversation about Junior Hockey, Congratulations!

You are welcome ! - I do have the tendency of replying to lowly comments at times like that one you wrote. By the way you are not getting any where on this board, you are losing your time and efforts.

Reactions: zman77

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
ok regula maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure, but if you are going to tell me Tkachuk, Dvorak and Stranges were not going to be early 1st round pick than you know absolutely nothing about junior hockey!
Ok. You've been given the opportunity to express your point of view, and to respond to posters. Good luck with your proposals. It seems that posters would like to move on, and after all, this is the Knights' board/thread.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
First and Second round OHL picks usually result in high draft picks.

You can make the argument on Formenton and Horvat, but that's arguable for every OHL team with players that turn out to be absolute gems.

I understand where you're coming from, but high-quality prospects usually turn into high quality players if they're motivated enough.

No, late first round OHL picks and early 2nd round picks usually do not turn into NHL 1st and 2nd round picks.

tbkght77

Oct 12, 2017
Cotter is officially listed on roster. Hoping he will bring some exp and leadership.

Really just trying to change the subject!

Not expecting to be a Broadhurst 2.0, but could be what this team needs. Sounds like he’s a steady and heady player...on a pretty young team. Will be interesting to watch.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Paul Cotter ready to add 'pesky' element to powered-up Knights
Ryan Pyette
Updated: November 14, 2018

Paul Cotter is, without mincing words, a pest.
His favourite NHL player is Ryan Kesler. He kind of sounds like Matthew Tkachuk when he speaks. Knights GM Mark Hunter mentioned David Bolland, who has been helping out the team lately, as a comparison.
At his introductory press conference Wednesday at Budweiser Gardens, the newly signed free-agent forward pulled on a No. 43 London jersey — the same digits ex-Knight Nazem Kadri, another hardscrabble centre, wears for the Maple Leafs.
Dale Hunter, one of hockey’s all-time nuisances, is now his coach.
“Physicality won’t ever be a problem,” Cotter, the Canton, Mich., native and Vegas fourth-rounder, said. “I’m really excited to get a new start and come in and make an impact. Hopefully, I can show the fans what I’m made of.”
His first OHL game will be Friday — on his 19th birthday — against Peterborough at the Bud. He had expected to celebrate that milestone in Kalamazoo, Mich., this fall, but abruptly left Western Michigan University in his freshman season after an eight-game, one-assist and minus-5 start with the Broncos.
“I wouldn’t say my style didn’t fit, but it was a little different than what my role was,” the 6-foot, 191-pounder said. “Coming here, I know what my role is pretty well. I think my game fits in this league a lot better.”
The immediate hope is a rapid rise with London will earn him an invite to USA Hockey’s world junior selection camp next month. He was part of the team’s plans this past summer, along with new teammate Alec Regula.
“He plays a hard game the U.S. team likes,” Mark Hunter said. “Hopefully, it happens for him here. I watched him play last year with the Lincoln Stars (in the United States Hockey League). Tommy (Mannino, the Knights’ former Michigan scout) and Rob (associate GM Rob Simpson) did a very good job talking to this young man. No pushy stuff, just talking. Things didn’t work out for him and we’re thankful he came here.”
Cotter already feels welcome.
He knows Regula and rookie Antonio Stranges, with whom he shares a stickhandling coach back home. He is represented by the same agency as Russian teammate Matvey Guskov — Michigan-based Gold Star, which is run by Dan Milstein.
He even had a connection to London at school. Fellow Western Michigan first-year forward Drew Worrad is from Denfield and his older brother Jake was a Knights defenceman.
“Drew’s an awesome guy — the kind of person you want to look to as a role model,” Cotter said. “He does things the right way on and off the ice. I spent a lot of time with him and we’re great friends and always will be.
“Once I told him the news, he was a bit upset. But he told me he lived up here and knew a lot of the staff. It was cool to talk to him about his insights and get information from him.
“I definitely did all my research possible before coming here.”
Now, he is eligible to be signed by the Golden Knights and gets to play alongside NHL returnees Evan Bouchard and Alex Formenton — a major drawing card.
“It’s going to be awesome to play with them and battle with them in practice,” he said.
Cotter was never selected in the OHL draft, but neither was London’s former star goaltender Tyler Parsons. There are a lot of players who develop late.
And when given the choice of any team, he picked London. He knows the players who have come through this system.
“We build our program up to a level where we develop kids,” Mark Hunter said. “We want to win, of course, but developing is before winning. If you develop them, then you win, and sometimes we (in the OHL) want to put it the other way. That’s how our pipeline forms. We’ve been successful getting players ready for the National Hockey League sooner than later and if you were a young man, what would you want to do?”
Paul Cotter ready to add 'pesky' element to powered-up London Knights

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
And again I'll ask the question... because you continue to ignore it... how stacked would other teams be right now if they took Tkachuk, Dvorak and Stranges before London?

Antonio Stranges was going to be a Windsor Spitfire right up until draft day. Ask around. London couldn't lose in that situation. They woulda had JL Foudy and Evangelista had Windsor taken Stranges 10th. And then we'd be having a different conversation.

3 picks in the top 23..you're gonna piss someone off.

Hang tight Sam...if this week rotted ya...there's more to come

"We’ve been successful getting players ready for the National Hockey League sooner than later and if you were a young man, what would you want to do?” ----Mark Hunter

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Stranges yes. Im done as you didnt respond to the last exaggerated claim you made that was called out on.
TY for the compliment

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
And again I'll ask the question... because you continue to ignore it... how stacked would other teams be right now if they took Tkachuk, Dvorak and Stranges before London?

I’ve already answered this in a previous post, but since you still don’t get it, I’ll answer this again I suppose.
With a different set of draft rules, players like Matthew Tkachuk, Christian Dvorak, Alec Regula and Antonio Stranges just to name a few would NOT be knights.

In that system, those players would actually be playing on another team and not traded to the LKs, not sure why you are insisting they have to end up in London. The players would have entered the drafted declaring their eligibility.

The whole point of altering the draft system is so those high caliber players will end up playing the majority of their careers on another team and not necessarily london.

Sorry, but if you still don’t get that, it probably best for you to just move on…

Otto

I’ve already answered this in a previous post, but since you still don’t get it, I’ll answer this again I suppose.
With a different set of draft rules, players like Matthew Tkachuk, Christian Dvorak, Alec Regula and Antonio Stranges just to name a few would NOT be knights.

In that system, those players would actually be playing on another team and not traded to the LKs, not sure why you are insisting they have to end up in London. The players would have entered the drafted declaring their eligibility.

The whole point of altering the draft system is so those high caliber players will end up playing the majority of their careers on another team and not necessarily london.

Sorry, but if you still don’t get that, it probably best for you to just move on…

Holy crap dude.... no... just no... you haven't answered my question at all...

Let me try this again...

Supposing... under the current system as we have it today... Tkachuk was taken by Peterborough, Dvorak was taken by Sarnia, Regula was taken by Sudbury, and Stranges was taken by Owen Sound .... they are property of THOSE teams.... then THOSE teams turn around and trade their rights ... how stacked would the Pete's, Sting, Wolves, and Attack be today?

Get it??

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Stranges yes. Im done as you didnt respond to the last exaggerated claim you made that was called out on.
TY for the compliment

Matthew Thachuk was a slam dunk high 1st rounder. He was a highly sought after US born players, offered lucrative NCAA scholarship. You must know that? Everyone else on here does!

As for Christian Dvorak, here are some of the reports on him prior to the ohl draft. In 2012, Dvorak was drafted in round 1 #6 overall by Chicago Steel in the USHL.

Christian Dvorak, Chicago Mission U18
One of the most highly regarded players to lace up the skates for the Mission is forward Christian Dvorak has committed to Wisconsin. A really, really nice pickup for the Wisconsin coaching staff. Blue-chip type talent.

U.S. Hockey Report on Dvorak from the USA Hockey Select 16 festival (2012):
"Has a gifted set of mitts and is lethal on the man advantage. Dvorak was incredibly impressive, creating scoring chance after scoring chance against the best players in the Midwest. Dvorak is so intelligent on the ice it appears as if he's always thinking three steps ahead of everyone else.

:banghead:

Matthew Thachuk was a slam dunk high 1st rounder. He was a highly sought after US born players, offered lucrative NCAA scholarship. You must know that? Everyone else on here does!

As for Christian Dvorak, here are some of the reports on him prior to the ohl draft. In 2012, Dvorak was drafted in round 1 #6 overall by Chicago Steel in the USHL.

One of the most highly regarded players to lace up the skates for the Mission is forward Christian Dvorak has committed to Wisconsin. A really, really nice pickup for the Wisconsin coaching staff. Blue-chip type talent.

"Has a gifted set of mitts and is lethal on the man advantage. Dvorak was incredibly impressive, creating scoring chance after scoring chance against the best players in the Midwest. Dvorak is so intelligent on the ice it appears as if he's always thinking three steps ahead of everyone else.
Again....WHAT STOPPED OTHER TEAMS FROM TAKING THESE 2 PLAYERS????

they had every opportunity to make the pick and reap the reward

Reactions: Otto

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Holy crap dude.... no... just no... you haven't answered my question at all...

Let me try this again...

Supposing... under the current system as we have it today... Tkachuk was taken by Peterborough, Dvorak was taken by Sarnia, Regula was taken by Sudbury, and Stranges was taken by Owen Sound .... they are property of THOSE teams.... then THOSE teams turn around and trade their rights ... how stacked would the Pete's, Sting, Wolves, and Attack be today?

Get it??

Why would those teams draft that player and then turn around and trade a committed player?

You want a league where these teams can keep that player to build their team around. Make him the face of your franchise, market him and sell that to your fan base. Just like Sudbury has done with Quinton Byfield.

The point of this discussion it to have this high calibre players on other teams, of course when you eventual have to trade them you get a lot of picks back, we all know that and see that at every trade deadline. A shift in the ohl draft would allow teams to keep those players on their team so they can rebuild around them.

Otto

Do you think the NCAA system needs to be changed... since more kids decommit from one school to go to another school than join the OHL?

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31

Otto

Why would those teams draft that player and then turn around and trade a committed player?

You want a league where these teams can keep that player to build their team around. Make him the face of your franchise, market him and sell that to your fan base. Just like Sudbury has done with Quinton Byfield.

The point of this discussion it to have this high calibre players on other teams, of course when you eventual have to trade them you get a lot of picks back, we all know that and see that at every trade deadline. A shift in the ohl draft would allow teams to keep those players on their team so they can rebuild around them.

With the hopes of changing that players mind... or at the very least to get some return for him now..... and it happens every year..... so instead of whining, get your house in order, make your organization one that players want to report to, work on changing the players opinion of you, involve alumni , take the best player available, and if he still doesn't report move him for a boat load of picks, you could then flip those picks for another player if you so choose. This gets the best players playing in the league, and also creates healthy rivalries.

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31
With the hopes of changing that players mind... or at the very least to get some return for him now..... and it happens every year..... so instead of whining, get your house in order, make your organization one that players want to report to, work on changing the players opinion of you, involve alumni , take the best player available, and if he still doesn't report move him for a boat load of picks, you could then flip those picks for another player if you so choose. This gets the best players playing in the league, and also creates healthy rivalries.
Exactly...the current OHL Draft system is far from broken. What's broken is only a handful of teams know how to use it correctly for their own personal gain. You can't blame the teams that know how something works, well you can if you have no idea how it works yourself.

Every team is offered the same opportunity to pick the same players after the 1st overall pick. Crying about who picked who where is a very feeble stance with no fiber at all. For someone to repeatedly say one team is manipulating an open system, is not only laughable...it's embarrassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad