London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenWookiee

Jul 31, 2018
Just wanted to share some thoughts on Boqvist, and you can tell me if you agree or if I'm out to lunch. First, let me say that I know he's new to the smaller ice, and he needs time to adjust. I'll just comment on what I've noticed in his game thus far.

So, it's rather obvious that Boqvist is offensively gifted; he skates well, moves the puck out of the zone effectively, great passer, outstanding hands (especially for a d-man), very smooth, but there's another side of Boqvist that I find extremely disappointing. I've noticed that he gets caught out of position quite often, and this has led to odd man advantages--far too many. E.g. early in the season [I think it was the game against the Soo], we gave up a 2 on 0 SH goal because Boqvist was caught out of the play; he's also been on the ice, out of position, quite often for 2 on 1's against, etc...He doesn't seem to be sound positionally.
As for his +/-, to date he is a - 3.
He is being used to QB the PP, and how's that working out? We have one of the worst PPs in the OHL. And, while he's certainly NOT to blame for all our PP woes (or defensive lapses), he has yet to prove his worth with the man advantage.
I was excited when I found out that he was assigned to the Knights, but now the only thing that I can count on is him being responsible for odd man rushes against each and every game. We look to him to be a leader on defence, not part of the problem. Too harsh?
I dunno... I think I need to see more. I do agree I've seen him jumping up on the rush a lot. And a few times I've seen him in front of the net and thought to myself "what the heck are you doing there". But if it produces results, can you really say it's a bad thing? I think it's a cost/benefit thing. How often does he go in deep and give up odd-man rushes that leads to goals against vs. how often does his positioning lead to goals for. I guess his plus/minus might speak to that... but I think we'd need to see more before judging. There is also an ownership on the rest of the team to identify his positioning and adjust accordingly. Maybe they just need some time to gel?

Anyway... not too harsh... but I think a bit early.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I dunno... I think I need to see more. I do agree I've seen him jumping up on the rush a lot. And a few times I've seen him in front of the net and thought to myself "what the heck are you doing there". But if it produces results, can you really say it's a bad thing? I think it's a cost/benefit thing. How often does he go in deep and give up odd-man rushes that leads to goals against vs. how often does his positioning lead to goals for. I guess his plus/minus might speak to that... but I think we'd need to see more before judging. There is also an ownership on the rest of the team to identify his positioning and adjust accordingly. Maybe they just need some time to gel?

Anyway... not too harsh... but I think a bit early.
Thanks. Good points...it is early. Hope to see an adjustment to his game.

Reactions: zman77 and LDN

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
He has been a bit frustrating to watch. Good hands, great movement.

IMO, it's not the size of the ice that he has to get used to as much as the style of play. Coverage and defensive schemes are different, compared to European leagues. Add that to the smaller rink and there's no room for him to do what he wants to, or what he is used to doing. Here a Dman can't always skate the puck out of the defensive zone, can't always join the rush, can't always try to go end-to-end on a PP, can stay deep in the O-zone as much as long as he has been doing. He looks like he is playing his own game, using his own play book.

Tons of talent. But he doesn't make his teammates better when he is on the ice. In fact, since many of them are trying to react to him, not knowing what he's doing, etc, he actually brings their play down.

I think the comments above are accurate, at the present time.

Reactions: nelli27

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Just wanted to share some thoughts on Boqvist, and you can tell me if you agree or if I'm out to lunch. First, let me say that I know he's new to the smaller ice, and he needs time to adjust. I'll just comment on what I've noticed in his game thus far.

So, it's rather obvious that Boqvist is offensively gifted; he skates well, moves the puck out of the zone effectively, great passer, outstanding hands (especially for a d-man), very smooth, but there's another side of Boqvist that I find extremely disappointing. I've noticed that he gets caught out of position quite often, and this has led to odd man advantages--far too many. E.g. early in the season [I think it was the game against the Soo], we gave up a 2 on 0 SH goal because Boqvist was caught out of the play; he's also been on the ice, out of position, quite often for 2 on 1's against, etc...He doesn't seem to be sound positionally.
As for his +/-, to date he is a - 3.
He is being used to QB the PP, and how's that working out? We have one of the worst PPs in the OHL. And, while he's certainly NOT to blame for all our PP woes (or defensive lapses), he has yet to prove his worth with the man advantage.
I was excited when I found out that he was assigned to the Knights, but now the only thing that I can count on is him being responsible for odd man rushes against each and every game. We look to him to be a leader on defence, not part of the problem. Too harsh?

What are you having for lunch?

You hit on the mark about Boqvist Nelli, it's probably one reason Chicago shipped him here and we all know what Hunters think about defense first approach. He definitely has a toolbox full of skills, I think we will start seeing the big change after he comes back from the World Junior Tourney IMHO

Noticed I said toolbox, yours is a lunchbox and not to be compared . :laugh:

Reactions: zman77 and nelli27

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Boqvist has some adjusting to do but also his teamates do need to warm up to his style of play as well

Hey PP, glad you responded. So do you think Boqvist is struggling because of his d-partners? Or, that Bouchard will light a fire under him? Or, something else?
Ask yourself this question. If you were a 1st round NHL pick and sent back to a Junior team knowing full well you were going to be "cock of the walk" wouldn't you grip your stick a little tighter and try to do it all?

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jk6oIcxr_bigger.jpg
Bob Stauffer‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer 6h6 hours ago

Based on an optional morning skate Matt Benning is back in and
looks like Evan Bouchard is out

Reactions: Fastpace

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Brady Tkachuk lost for a month with leg injury

46a1b2421be7cbaca87b2f34c5809a00
Bruce Garrioch
October 17, 2018

The Ottawa Senators will have to soldier on without winger Brady Tkachuk.
After the rookie made a big hit Monday, the Senators suffered a big hit when coach Guy Boucher confirmed following a skate Wednesday the 19-year-old Tkachuk has suffered a torn ligament in his leg and will be lost for a month.
Nobody should ever question Tkachuk’s character.
The club’s top pick in the NHL draft in June not only suffered the injury after a delivering hit in the first period of Ottawa’s 4-1 victory over the Dallas Stars, he finished the game with 14:30 of ice time and scored the winning goal in the third only to learn the devastating news after being sent for further tests.
Tkachuk won’t require surgery because the ligament only needs time to heal, but this is a big blow to the Senators because he has been one of the club’s best and contributing offensive. He has 3-3-6 points in four games with the club.
This isn’t related to the injury that forced Tkachuk to miss the first two games of the season. He’ll miss his first game Saturday when the Montreal Canadiens are in town.
“He was definitely part of our identity and doing good. I like that connection with (Mark) Stone and putting (centre Chris) Tierney there. They looked great. I was looking forward to putting that line together in the next game but it’ll take awhile before we’re able to have that line.
“We’ve got to live through adversity and other teams are living it.”
Tkachuk didn’t suffer any structural damage as a result of the injury.
“It’s a normal tear that has to its take time to heal,” Boucher said. “It’s not something that you can accelerate. Those tears take ‘X’ amount of days to heal.”
Yes, he’s eligible to be sent to the world juniors and the OHL’s London Knights this season, but that doesn’t even seem like a remote possibility given the way he’s started this year because early-on Tkachuk has shown he’s an NHL player.
The Senators are already without defenceman Cody Ceci (upper body) along with forwards Ryan Dzingel (lower body), Max McCormick (lower body) and Alex Formenton (concussion). Along with Stone, they weren’t on the ice Wednesday.
“Hopefully we’re going to get some of those guys back for Saturday,” Boucher said.
“Ceci and Formenton won’t be playing this weekend. It’s going well for both of them but it’s going to take time that it needs.”
Brady Tkachuk lost for a month with leg injury

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Regarding Boqvist, In his interviews he expressed the expectation that he felt that he could and should be contributing by scoring goals. That's quite a revelation on
just where his head is at, and what he sees as his role on the team. Had he stated that he was going to try to learn the system, prevent scoring chances, and contribute offensively when the situation presented itself, I'd be more accepting of his mindset. It would seem, based on his interview, that his focus needs to be flipped, and that his role within the team environment be clarified for his benefit. Once that gets settled, then I do feel that he'll become far more effective, and put less pressure on his defence pair to cover for him when he tries to score that goal. He needs to recognize that his forwards have the prime responsibility for scoring, and his is secondary. His role is to be supportive when in the offensive zone, and to become primarily defensive when in his own end.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Give him the benefit of the doubt because of the language barrier. He stated in an earlier interview he has to work on his defensive game because of the difference in ice and new linemates. Christ they have only 8 games

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
xHxJdilR_bigger.jpg
Lou Korac‏ @lkorac10 2h2 hours ago

Thomas sitting has nothing to do with him going anywhere.
He gets 9 games before they make that decision.
He's 19.
He's making a big jump from OHL to NHL, which is a big adjustment for some.
He's trying to find his way.
They sent Pietrangelo down twice.
I think he turned out OK.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
ncZaVJYA_bigger.jpg
Mike Stubbs‏Verified account @stubbs980 9h9 hours ago

The
#OHL has released its rosters for the Canada/Russia series.
Liam Foudy of the
@GoLondonKnights will play in both games.
Londoners Isaac Ratcliffe and Nick Suzuki will play in the game in Sarnia.
Londoner Ryan Suzuki will play in the game in Oshawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad