London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Knights: OHL Draft 2019 brings Size and Skill
By: Ryan Pyette

The Knights have a surplus of speed and skill on their current roster. The size has arrived.
London used its first two picks in the 2019 OHL draft Saturday to select 6-foot-1, 190-pound forward Stuart Rolofs from Kanata and 6-foot-2, 209-pound defenceman Logan Mailloux.
“You’re always looking for some size on your hockey club,” London GM Mark Hunter said. “Both are good-sized young men and talented and we’re happy to get them where we were at. They have some weight to them already and hopefully, they will be a big part of our future.”
The Knights have a surplus of speed and skill on their current roster.
Rolofs can play left wing or centre. He reminds Hunter of the bull-like current Canuck Bo Horvat with a big shot and a relentless drive to the net.
“I’m more of a skilled type of player,” said the 16-year-old, who the Knights selected 20th overall in the first round. “I like to have the puck on my stick and make plays and use the size of my body to my advantage. I think I can use my size to get around defenders."
He played in a London tournament last year and got to skate at the big rink. He saw a regular-season game this season against Hamilton and will be in attendance for Game 2 of the second round against Guelph Sunday.
“It felt like I was at an NHL game with the atmosphere and full house,” he said. “London was one of the places I had on my mind and obviously one of the better organizations in the league.
“I was super-excited to officially become a Knight. I can’t wait to get started.”
Mailloux, who hails from Belle River, moved to the Marlies to play for Hockey Hall of Famer Paul Coffey this past season. He was considered one of the best defencemen at the OHL Cup.
“He really came on in the second half,” Hunter said. “He was getting prime ice time and doing things with the puck you hope and expect from a defenceman.
“The sky’s the limit for him.”

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
London Knights 2019 OHL Draft: Building a Winner
“It’s nice to have picks and it’s a credit to Rob (associate GM Rob Simpson) and Dale (coach Dale Hunter) for stockpiling picks so we can take some good players to be the future of the hockey club,” said Mark Hunter, who was with the Maple Leafs the previous four drafts.
“You think of that one year we had (in 2010), we had Ryan Rupert in the second, then came back with Matt Rupert and Andreas Athanasiou and (Brett) Welychka.
“They all ended up playing and winning a couple of OHL titles.”
The Knights – and the league as a whole – approached the American-born talent cautiously this time. London finally selected Liam Gilmartin, a Shattuck-St. Mary’s forward, in the fourth round. He’s destined for the United States national team development program in Plymouth, Mich.
“Everybody thinks the (Americans) are coming all the time,” Hunter said. “You really have to pick and choose who you want to get. It’s tough. Not all of them will come. We feel it has to be an opportunity. We hope in time, after two years in the program, there’s an opportunity to get him to come.”
There will be a couple of forward spots and a regrouping of the defensive corps this fall. The youngsters will have a chance to play their way onto the Knights.
“Come in, be in good shape and be ready to advance your game over the summer time,” Hunter said. When September rolls around, you’re looking good at the ice and there’s an opportunity.”
OHL DRAFT: London Knights go big (literally) with top two selections

boknows

Oct 15, 2015
London Knights 2019 OHL Draft: Building a Winner
“It’s nice to have picks and it’s a credit to Rob (associate GM Rob Simpson) and Dale (coach Dale Hunter) for stockpiling picks so we can take some good players to be the future of the hockey club,” said Mark Hunter, who was with the Maple Leafs the previous four drafts.
“You think of that one year we had (in 2010), we had Ryan Rupert in the second, then came back with Matt Rupert and Andreas Athanasiou and (Brett) Welychka.
“They all ended up playing and winning a couple of OHL titles.”
The Knights – and the league as a whole – approached the American-born talent cautiously this time. London finally selected Liam Gilmartin, a Shattuck-St. Mary’s forward, in the fourth round. He’s destined for the United States national team development program in Plymouth, Mich.
“Everybody thinks the (Americans) are coming all the time,” Hunter said. “You really have to pick and choose who you want to get. It’s tough. Not all of them will come. We feel it has to be an opportunity. We hope in time, after two years in the program, there’s an opportunity to get him to come.”
There will be a couple of forward spots and a regrouping of the defensive corps this fall. The youngsters will have a chance to play their way onto the Knights.
“Come in, be in good shape and be ready to advance your game over the summer time,” Hunter said. When September rolls around, you’re looking good at the ice and there’s an opportunity.”

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Whats the deal with Gilmartin? what are the rules regarding U-17 program players?

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Prospect Pipeline:
Sudbury Minor Midget Wolves should’ve been T6 on this list, with 9 players drafted

Reactions: Fastpace

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
London Knights picked 2 Goalies in the 5th & 10th Rounds in the 2019 OHL Draft.
Both Knights' Goalies were not rated by Prospect Pipeline.
Off the Board: Mark Hunter & Staff know talent.

5RdPick#85London
from Flint
Smith, CameronG6.01.2518308/11/2003Markham Waxers MMAAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
10RdPick#202LondonBeckford, MaxG6.0016501/03/2003Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs MMAAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: KnightsWatch

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
The Knights can not lay off the speed pressure on Guelph's bigger forwards, need to frustrate them, stick to them if they have to and make them work extra to tire them out with speed. Dale knows what are each of his player's role, he doesn't need any fan telling him, but I'll bet the words speed and hustle is at the end of each assignment he sends out.

Note:
The Knights won the game 3-2 but they lost 2-1 on the scoreboard the last 2 periods to the Storm, they have got to use their speed and stick with it and stay out of the sin box, it's a must. They had three penalties in the second and Guelph scored on the first one early at the 4:50 mark to make it 2-1, from that point on it turned some momentum around and gave Guelph some life. IMHO

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
London Knights picked 2 Goalies in the 5th & 10th Rounds in the 2019 OHL Draft.
Both Knights' Goalies were not rated by Prospect Pipeline.
Off the Board: Mark Hunter & Staff know talent.

5RdPick#85London
from Flint
Smith, CameronG6.01.2518308/11/2003Markham Waxers MMAAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
10RdPick#202LondonBeckford, MaxG6.0016501/03/2003Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs MMAAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Smith was quite popular from what I heard. Never thought he'd be second off of the board, but this year was quite surprising for goalies. I thought there would be some guys who would go 3rd round, including some that ended up going undrafted (Osborne at least, maybe Donoso as well).

I don't know how the HEOMAAA goalie of the year, as an 03', goes undrafted. He may be small, but you take a shot on someone with that much raw talent.

Seems like teams did not like the goalie crop this year. Usually, 30+ goalies are selected. This year, only 22... And some of them were guys I had undrafted even on a 30+ goalie list. Shows what I know about goalies I guess :laugh:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
On average goaltenders on weak teams tend to have more shots and goals scored on, they also face better quality chances from their opponent not kept track meaning their stats does not always do them justice

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

Nice catch LDN.

2019 OHL Development Combine Testing Results:
Off-Ice Testing Top Performers:

Top 5 Forwards:
1. Stuart Rolofs (Kanata Lasers U18) (Team Stamkos).......#20 Pick Knights

2. Braeden Kressler (Mississauga Senators) (Team Subban)
3. Jack Stolicker (Detroit Compuware U16) (Team Ekblad)
4. Josh Bloom (Toronto Nationals) (Team Ekblad)
5. Deni Goure (Chatham-Kent Cyclones) (Team Lindros)

Top 5 Goaltenders:
1. Cam Smith (Markham Waxers) (Team Subban).............#85 Pick Knights

2. Gavin Bradt (Central Ontario Wolves) (Team Subban)
3. Benjamin Bates (Cambridge Hawks) (Team Lindros)
4. James Norton (Mississauga Senators (Team Stamkos)
5. Will Fox (Detroit Compuware U16) (Team Ekblad)

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Mark Hunter:
“Everybody thinks the (Americans) are coming all the time,” Hunter said.
“You really have to pick and choose who you want to get. It’s tough.
Not all of them will come. We feel it has to be an opportunity.
We hope in time, after two years in the program,
there’s an opportunity to get him to come.”

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
3.png
Ryan Gagnier (C)
Leamington Flyers472022420.8940
3.png
George Diaco (C)
London Nationals471824420.8932
3.png
Zane Dalpe (LW)
LaSalle Vipers471919380.816
3.png
Brendan Mairs (RW)
Strathroy Rockets481820380.7930
3.png
Sean McGurn (C)
St. Thomas Stars401325380.9512
3.png
Ben McFarlane (RW)
Cambridge Redhawks461720370.8022
3.png
Dario Beljo (C)
Komoka Kings47927360.7716
3.png
Dylan Robinson (D)
LaSalle Vipers46531360.78102
3.png
Chase Strychaluk (RW)
Komoka Kings43926350.812
3.png
Blake Butler (C)
Sarnia Legionnaires481019290.6016
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

4 Knights prospects are in the top 10 for GOJHL u-17 Scoring I think all 4 can challenge to make the team next season

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
GAME DAY !!! Time to drop that puck. The first game, first 45 minutes, the Knights controlled the puck, and Guelph were relegated to trying to get posession. That worked well and was reflected in the shots on goal totals. When the Storm ramped up the pressure, and got posession in the London end is where the game plan shifted in Guelph's favour, and they got some sustained pressure.Game plan for today : Same as last, but maintain the puck posession for the full 60 minutes, and the result should be good. The Storm's # 5 appeared reluctant to carry the puck, and got burned a couple of times. Maybe the Lochead hit ( for which he was suspended 4 games ) has had a lingering effect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad