Post-Game Talk: lol

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
They just aren't a good team. A couple good players and the rest of the team couldn't fetch you a 7th rd pick. No, dumping Cleary and playing Nyquist won't make a difference.

With all these extremely close games, you don't think dumping one of our worst players and adding one of our best prospects in years might mean 2 points instead of 1 in a few of these?

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
With all these extremely close games, you don't think dumping one of our worst players and adding one of our best prospects in years might mean 2 points instead of 1 in a few of these?

No. Not at all. He isn't a superstar or a first liner, let alone having such an impact on the game that he would effect a goal per game. This team needs about 5-6 new players.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
No. Not at all. He isn't a superstar or a first liner, let alone having such an impact on the game that he would effect a goal per game. This team needs about 5-6 new players.

Well if he could keep his production from the playoffs last year up (.357ppg) (nothing to assume he wouldn't keep it up, IMO safe bet he'd exceed it) he would have factored into 8 goals (rounded up) for the team. 5 more than Cleary has factored into this season and considering the fact that the wings have lost 7 games this season by one goal its not unreasonable to assume those extra goals may have lead to extra wins and points.

Edit: That isn't even mentioning the other skills Nyquist brings, mainly the fact that for the most part when he is on the ice the Wings have the puck more than the opposition.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That depends on what you mean by "needs". Honestly right now one player like Nyquist inserted into the 2nd or 3rd line could make a world of difference. Someone that can carry the puck with speed through the neutral zone, give us some offensive zone time, chip in a goal or an assist here and there, or simply killing off time to help us defend a lead more easily. It could easily mean the difference between winning and losing in several of these games. And that's even without considering that he may develop chemistry with Weiss or someone else and help them get going. We already know he works well with Andersson for example.

If there is anytime 1 player can make a difference I would say it's when you've lost 5 straight overtime/shootout games.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Datsyuk's tying goal in the last minute was magic. Amazing every clutch situation you just feel he and Zetter will pull it of and they did it again.

So Datsyuk with 2 more goals tonight, that's 22 points so far just behind Zetterberg with 23. Teams are making it tougher on those two though. These last few games I notice others playing them extra close. The whole world knows if they can shut the twins down the Wings have no chance.

Looking at the stats Alfedsson is in 3rd in scoring with 14 pts.(3 goals-11 assists). I'd say having him return will benefit us but sad we have to depend on a 40 year old vet to help carry the team. Cleary, 3. Weiss, 3. Lashoff, in 17 games, has 1 point. Miller has 2, etc. etc. we are not a dangerous or competetive at the moment.

Credit as always to our opponents, the Islanders skated hard. Reminded me a bit of the 1st Winnipeg game. Osgood said it tonight, clubs always get up ready to play us. I think there is a little bad blood because of the exchange between Babcock and Capuano 2 seasons ago. At least it was on my mind. N.Y. was hounding us, beating the Wings to pucks, and making it very difficult to exit the zone especially in the 3rd. That was scary. They made us look slow. Teams know if they go 100% and give Detroit no time or space we might collapse like a house of cards. A game like this I can't claim to have an answer to (beside the obvious one ;)).

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

It doesn't need to be a goal per game. But in a group of 5 games where you lose in a shootout? Just one or two goals in that bunch means 2 wins instead of 2 SO losses.

And anyone who watches Cleary knows that he's far more than just unproductive. He's a liability. The team loses offense when he's on the ice and the stats back up the eye test on that one. We'd be replacing him with a player who improves the offense and put up decent numbers already in the NHL.

That could easily mean 2-3 more points in just the last bad bunch of games.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Zetterberg Datsyuk Bertuzzi
Nyquist Weiss Alfredsson
Franzen Helm Tatar
Miller Andersson Abdelkader

=

wins

Damn that does look nice. And very possible. Please if somebody gets to the game Tuesday slip this discretely over the glass to Babs. Or make confetti with the forward lineup printed on each scrap littered throughout the stands, they'll get the message! :laugh:

Franzen has been looking better with the "kids". Keep those 3 together or switch up/down with the 2nd line as needed. With their combined experience I think that 4th line could dominate.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Damn that does look nice. And very possible. Please if somebody gets to the game Tuesday slip this discretely over the glass to Babs. Or make confetti with the forward lineup printed on each scrap littered throughout the stands, they'll get the message! :laugh:

Franzen has been looking better with the "kids". Keep those 3 together or switch up/down with the 2nd line as needed. With their combined experience I think that 4th line could dominate.

He's replaced Hull on the 2 kids & a goat line, though this version is a bit of lite version. :laugh:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Maybe the leauge will finally review the looser point when the wings make the playoffs with 20 wins and like 50 looser points.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I love it when Kronwall takes his stupid pills.

How many times is Kindl going to let someone behind him?

Franzen still looks hungry.

DeKeyser is a boss. I don't understand why people think he's over rated. That play where stripped the guy of the puck, got double teamed behind his net, ate the puck, held the two guys back and freed the puck up for his partner? That was badass.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
I really would like to see Mrazek as a starting goalie for the next 2 games.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I love it when Kronwall takes his stupid pills.

How many times is Kindl going to let someone behind him?

Franzen still looks hungry.

DeKeyser is a boss. I don't understand why people think he's over rated. That play where stripped the guy of the puck, got double teamed behind his net, ate the puck, held the two guys back and freed the puck up for his partner? That was badass.

Yup. Well except for the part about Kronner. LOL :laugh:

Kindl hangs in there but I notice this funny habit he has of sometimes delaying to make the obvious play...waits...try to put on a move and gets burned resulting in utter mayhem back in our zone (better known as a turnover). He also made a strange quadruple head-fake this game going into the corner that had absolutely no effect. But I think he's cool for now, basically quiet, he isn't making himself into a huge topic, unlike B. Smith.

The Dekeyser thread is gonna blow up. For some reason it hit me tonight. The play just described, his handling of 2 on 1's like a Lidstrom. The slapper against the Jets and the one-timer on Friday, I was jaw-dropped. We've seen since last season he is activated a lot up in the offensive play, taking it to the net even a few. Deyeyser is a gutsy player, he's the real deal. Of all 30 Michigan born active NHL players he is up there and could be greatest of all. It's said so much but I'm starting to fully agree we were lucky he would only sign with Detroit. Screw you Suter! :)

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
theoretically, if we only win 16 more games and lose the remaining 45 games in shoot-outs, we will have 102 pts...probably enough to make the playoffs

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The Wings stink in OT & shoot-outs...Kenny wants to change the OT format. Coincidence? :naughty:

To be fair with this game, they stole a point...unlike the last few games where they've blown a lead to go to OT.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I wish fans were a bit more engaged in the U.S, if a fanbase wanted a player out or in, over in sweden, there would be huge signs everywhere in the arena, there would be more boo's, more emotions... Too bad most of the people that goes to the home games are pretty clueless of what's going on and would rather just watch a game like they watch movies at the cinema.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I wish fans were a bit more engaged in the U.S, if a fanbase wanted a player out or in, over in sweden, there would be huge signs everywhere in the arena, there would be more boo's, more emotions... Too bad most of the people that goes to the home games are pretty clueless of what's going on and would rather just watch a game like they watch movies at the cinema.

Then when it comes to free agency time, good players don't want to come because you have idiot fans with signs creating a hostile workplace enviornment.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Then when it comes to free agency time, good players don't want to come because you have idiot fans with signs creating a hostile workplace enviornment.

When it comes to prospects, they're probably looking at Nyquist and praying they don't get drafted by this organization, since you can't play full time until you're 25.

While we are on the topic of creating bad environments.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
When it comes to prospects, they're probably looking at Nyquist and praying they don't get drafted by this organization, since you can't play full time until you're 25.

Blah.

Don't go in NCAA to avoid that. It's the reason that extended his waiver eligibility. But Nyquist wanted to go there because he was totally physically immature few years ago. He had time to build physics with less games there.

Repeating these jokes that "You're never gonna play at Wings until you are 30" :cry: does not carry this discussion anywhere.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Blah.

Don't go in NCAA to avoid that. It's the reason that extended his waiver eligibility. But Nyquist wanted to go there because he was totally physically immature few years ago. He had time to build physics with less games there.

Repeating these jokes that "You're never gonna play at Wings until you are 30" :cry: does not carry this discussion anywhere.

You're waiver eligibility should not dictate when you play in the NHL. How good of a hockey player you are should. Being red wings fans has us brainwashed into even thinking that is an acceptable idea.

Physically immature? He's been ready for at least a year and a half to play in the NHL. At least that. When you have enough talent you can play in the league with a smaller build. Don't know how many guys have to prove this before we stop throwing this BS excuse out there to defend Nyquist's mismanaged development.

Edit: I'm not just "repeating these jokes". I responded to a post talking about fans that boo would create a bad environment, and may deter free agents. A fair point. I countered with what we do to our prospects, not playing them until 25 in some cases, also could create a bad environment. In my opinion that is a fair point as well.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

While we are on the topic of creating bad environments.

Prospects don't have a choice. Free agents do. And I think most prospects at age 18-19 are happy to get drafted, period.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Prospects don't have a choice. Free agents do. And I think most prospects at age 18-19 are happy to get drafted, period.

So that means we can do whatever we want?

Better treat them right, or you can kiss them goodbye as soon as they hit UFA. And kiss those "hometown discounts" goodbye too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad