Logo/Colors/rebranding

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
A pirate theme wouldn't be a bad idea, if they really wanted to get away from the current branding altogether. It ties in well enough to the concept and it has local resonance.

But... get ready for a cartoon logo. And be careful what you wish for.

Speaking of Pirate themes, I've often thought if it wasn't for ECU already having the name, we'd be the Pirates or Buccaneers.

Or Mustangs as a nod to the wild horses that roam the Outer Banks.

All I know is thank God 'Ice Hogs' got nixed.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I know, I know, but I'd really like a name change to Raleigh Storm.

We can keep all the logos and all the colors the same. They're fine. I like "Raleigh" because there's already a pro sports team called "Carolina" and it's not in Raleigh. It's confusing, especially when that team -- the Panthers -- also shares a team name with an NHL club. I know people think that will alienate fans from outside the immediate area, but it just won't. I'll bet 99.9% of the Washington Redskins fans come from outside of Washington, D.C. It really won't affect a thing, aside from giving the city of Raleigh a boost.

And I prefer Storm for two reasons. No. 1, we'd no longer be named after a life-threatening event that has devastated the area twice in the past 20 years, and No. 2, the single warning flag "works" now.

I know, I know, but if we're going to do anything, I think we should do this.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

We can keep all the logos and all the colors the same. They're fine. I like "Raleigh" because there's already a pro sports team called "Carolina" and it's not in Raleigh. It's confusing, especially when that team -- the Panthers -- also shares a team name with an NHL club. I know people think that will alienate fans from outside the immediate area, but it just won't. I'll bet 99.9% of the Washington Redskins fans come from outside of Washington, D.C. It really won't affect a thing, aside from giving the city of Raleigh a boost.

And I prefer Storm for two reasons. No. 1, we'd no longer be named after a life-threatening event that has devastated the area twice in the past 20 years, and No. 2, the single warning flag "works" now.

Thumbs down X's 100

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC

Yeah I'm not so sure those are good reasons to change the team name to that of a travel lacrosse team.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
For 20 years I’ve been a Canes fan and for 20 years I’ve despised our logos. I’m not alone- the Canes logo is universally and consistently rated as one of, if not THE worst in sports. Both the toilet bowl logo and the “tropical depression” alternate need to go. Love the warning flags tho and really like how the tone on tone look of the new home jerseys.

As for the colors, I realize they agreed on the red bc of NCSU but that’s an easy fix now. If state’s playing use their colors on the scoreboard, ribbons and lighting. Then use a neutral color for the seats, etc.. So many NHL teams have the red/black scheme. Why not green and blue? It’s looks great on the ice and gives a nod to the club’s history.

I say this last (bc it’s a pipe dream) but it would be cool to drop Carolina for NC. Not North Carolina but NC. It’s different, original and more appropriate. When naming the panthers Richardson actually chose Carolina for a reason. Charlotte’s close to SC and Richardson grew up in Spartanburg. He intentionally shaped the panther logo like the 2 states.

Anyway, I’m interested to see what you guys think. Should TD make any of the above changes? Will he? I haven’t heard him say anything about it. Haven’t heard anyone ask him either.

I agree with changing the regional name of the team, but to the Raleigh Hurricanes b/c f*** the rest of the state that tells you college football season is over when you ask them to change the channel to the Hurricanes game while at a bar in Banner Elk.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Breakdowns

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017

The Raleigh Storm youth hockey logo was ass.

s-l640.jpg

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I personally would not be opposed to changing everything including the team name, but I doubt that would happen.

They should have a contest for a new team logo and get something new....maybe a color change as well.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
I feel like some comments in here make it seem like changing the branding would have an actual affect on our on-ice product.

GMRF: "We had a real good chance to land Tavares, actually. After he shockingly went to Free Agency we were the highest bidder and he was all in. However, last minute we decided to re-brand instead to the Raleigh Ravishing Rampage. We saw this as basically being the equivalent to landing an Elite 1C and immediately makes us a serious Stanley Cup threat."

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Wouldn't it just be easier to add a 2nd flag?

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I think their legs should have the eye of the storm logo over their bottom kind of like all those girls with the juicy shorts. Anyone who can give me some photoshop assistance?

otoh has anyone seen anyone with an eye of the storm tramp stamp? There's got to be at least one and I am on a quest to see it before kicking the can.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So the thought of renaming/rebranding the team makes me crazy, but I suppose the one exception I could live with would be renaming them the "Raleigh Blackbeards" and having that wild picture that is on Cam's helmet be the logo and black Queen Anne's revenge silhouettes on the shoulders.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think their legs should have the eye of the storm logo over their bottom kind of like all those girls with the juicy shorts. Anyone who can give me some photoshop assistance?

otoh has anyone seen anyone with an eye of the storm tramp stamp? There's got to be at least one and I am on a quest to see it before kicking the can.
03d94d9519d95d87f1b66bc5dc965242--palmetto-moon-south-carolina.jpg

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
So the thought of renaming/rebranding the team makes me crazy, but I suppose the one exception I could live with would be renaming them the "Raleigh Blackbeards" and having that wild picture that is on Cam's helmet be the logo and black Queen Anne's revenge silhouettes on the shoulders.
That would let us do some fun stuff during the playoffs (if we could make the playoffs)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->