Logjam of ripening defensemen overwhelm Phoenix Coyotes depth chart

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Phoenix Coyotes may have the most unbalanced prospect pool in the league. On defense, they have more legitimate players than places to put them. At forward, they may be forced to convert their young centers to address the scarcity of talent on both wings.

Of course, General Manager Don Maloney could pull the trigger on some deals to even out his roster breakdown.

At the blue line, their institutional depth begins at the NHL level. Along with world-class defensemen like Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Keith Yandle, the Coyotes have seven other players signed to one-way contracts, which limit roster flexibility.… read more

More...

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
chose a picture of Lucas Lessio to go with that article....? ... I'd go with Gormley ;)

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Very good article. I do appreciate having quality depth on our blueline that's probably unmatched in the entire league save for a couple of teams, but something has ultimately got to give. Stone and Rundblad right now are wasting away in the press box instead of getting the minutes they need.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We to draft more forwards...

Interesting blurbs on Domi's and Henrik's maturity. Dapuhent slowly continuing to be effective. It will be a steal if he can manage to put some meat on.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If Dauphin does develop into a "poor-man's Bergeron" (I think stylistically he's more like Derek Stepan than Bergy, but it's a minor quibble), I'll be more than happy. Kid certainly has the two-way hockey sense and wheels to do so, just needs to pack on a few pounds.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Domi was embarrassed by Belleville defenseman Jordan Subban (VAN). Subban goaded Domi off his game and into a double minor and misconduct penalty.
I thought the two were good buddies? I guess Domi needs to work on keeping his emotions in check if even his friends can goad him into a misconduct penalty.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Minor quibble but I'm pretty sure Chris Brown has generally been played as a right winger?

I like the article's focus on developmental factors, concerns over maturity etc can be more relevant than merely having the skillset. A little bit harsh on Mike Lee though. Interesting to hear how Langhamer has bounced back, I didnt think he'd be back in the CHL after last year.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Can someone please tell me why we re-signed Summers? Or why Summeres signed with us?
Not sure we ever got an answer there, unfortunately.
Maybe Maloney was just setting us up to start the season with 7 or 8 D-men on 1-way contracts, expecting to piece together a trade, but then that merely backfired when Klesla picked up an injury. I dearly want to know what GMDM and Tip have in mind short (and long?) term for all of our defensemen.

Dude is a NHL defenseman on any other team in the league.
Didn't no one pick him up on waivers? Or do I not understand all of that '1-way contract sent down to AHL' thing..

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Can someone please tell me why we re-signed Summers? Or why Summeres signed with us?

Dude is a NHL defenseman on any other team in the league.

I understand why the team would re-sign him, cause why not. I don't think his potential has diminished at all.

As for why Summers came back here, I have no idea at all :laugh:
Maybe he knows this is where defensemen are cultivated. Maybe we were the only ones willing to give him 1 way money. While he has good potential that's still nice pay day for a guy who might never stick.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I wonder what Tip and DM's long term plans are with all these defensemen.

Apparently the plan is to have them study what not to do by watching Yandle from the pressbox.

zLiMbiLLY

Feb 18, 2012
WingF
Hi,
So I wonder about Justin Haché the 2012 7nd rounder that really seemed being a find.
He seem doing pretty good, being in the first pair down in Cape Breton. Great +/- and some nice points.
But I have to ask, does anyone know what his style of play is? cause he is a good sized dman, pretty much what the team could get use of, but mainly I wonder how is his defensive qualities?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
When I watched him in his draft year, I actually didn't know it was his draft year. I just assumed he was an over ager. Both because I'd never heard of him, and because he played such a solid, mature, mistake-free game. He really had the look of a 20 year old CHLer, out there. I'm not sure how his game has progressed since then, but in his draft year he looked like a steady defensive D.

zLiMbiLLY

Feb 18, 2012
WingF
When I watched him in his draft year, I actually didn't know it was his draft year. I just assumed he was an over ager. Both because I'd never heard of him, and because he played such a solid, mature, mistake-free game. He really had the look of a 20 year old CHLer, out there. I'm not sure how his game has progressed since then, but in his draft year he looked like a steady defensive D.

Thanks, thats kinda what you would ask and look for, and it sounds really good.
Ive been curious about his qualities a time but haven't been able to watch him.
Three years ago he simply explains himself as a good guy, that are a solid defensemen with offensive occassions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L6gJLosLtw

He is still just 19yo, my hopes are that he still focus and improves his defensive part of the game, thats what the could get use for now growing such talent.

Being A-captain with current stats: GP30 G4 A21 P25 +/-19 PIM22.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Being A-captain with current stats: GP30 G4 A21 P25 +/-19 PIM22.

Cape Breton went from worst team in the league to middle of the pack (.609). Explains the swing from -48 :)laugh:) to +19.

Certainly not going to complain if Knickle can hit on these mid to late round D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad