Prospect Info: Logan Stanley - Part III

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Most people disliked the pick, not the player.
I think many knowledgeable posters were able to walk this line. The majority didn't take the time to articulate their views and just spit venom at the kid. I remember not liking his name called on draft day to quickly jumping into his corner with all the abuse that was thrown his way. I'm still rooting for him big time.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think many knowledgeable posters were able to walk this line. The majority didn't take the time to articulate their views and just spit venom at the kid. I remember not liking his name called on draft day to quickly jumping into his corner with all the abuse that was thrown his way. I'm still rooting for him big time.
Me too, and maybe I'm naive or have very thick polar blue sunglasses on, but I see a lot of potential with him. He showed that he has an offensive upside, he showed that he can contribute to a winner, he showed much improved skating skills, and he showed that he can play with a Chris Pronger-like mean streak. And you can't teach 6' 7''.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Funny .... I don't recall having seen any venom or abuse.

Strange how you go from not liking hearing his name called to labeling any discussion of why people disliked the pick as venom and abuse. Is it 'venom' to say that he lacks footspeed? Is it 'abuse' to say that opposing wingers go around him like he is a pylon? Or is it just honestly describing his shortcomings?

None of that is personal. It is not attacking Logan Stanley the person. It is describing Logan Stanley the hockey player.

Viewing the player honestly and disliking the pick, however strongly is neither abusive nor venomous. It doesn't get in the way of wishing him well and hoping he overcomes his weaknesses to become a successful NHL player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
pylonlogan.jpg

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
OK, now that's venomous and abusive! :laugh:

Ya it's a low blow but it does not reflect what I think of the young man it was merely created out of humor and some of the peoples idea of him. I still think the kid has potential and will grow into a decent player but only time will tell. I think the Pylon reminds me more of Marc Stuart :laugh:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Funny .... I don't recall having seen any venom or abuse.

Strange how you go from not liking hearing his name called to labeling any discussion of why people disliked the pick as venom and abuse. Is it 'venom' to say that he lacks footspeed? Is it 'abuse' to say that opposing wingers go around him like he is a pylon? Or is it just honestly describing his shortcomings?

None of that is personal. It is not attacking Logan Stanley the person. It is describing Logan Stanley the hockey player.

Viewing the player honestly and disliking the pick, however strongly is neither abusive nor venomous. It doesn't get in the way of wishing him well and hoping he overcomes his weaknesses to become a successful NHL player.
calling a 17 year old a pylon from the minute he was drafted for 2 years now is attacking the person and not the player. of coarse if players skated around him all the time he wouldn't be on most teams draft boards in the 1st round like he was, would he. I forgot he got drafted in the 1st round because he is 6'7 and not because he has any semblance of any hockey skills which a majority of nhl thought by having him in the 1st round on their draft boards.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
calling a 17 year old a pylon from the minute he was drafted for 2 years now is attacking the person and not the player. of coarse if players skated around him all the time he wouldn't be on most teams draft boards in the 1st round like he was, would he. I forgot he got drafted in the 1st round because he is 6'7 and not because he has any semblance of any hockey skills which a majority of nhl thought by having him in the 1st round on their draft boards.

No it is not attacking the person. Is he a 'pylon' in his personal life? How is that even possible? Is he mean to his mother? Does he hate kittens? No, it is 100% attacking the player. It is only in the context of becoming a pro hockey player that it matters that he is a pylon on skates.

"if players skated around him all the time he wouldn't be on most teams draft boards in the 1st round like he was, would he" Apparently he would because he was on their lists and he was a pylon ... and still is 2 years later. This is just an appeal to authority. He was drafted in the first round so he must be good. OK, then lets see if we can get Keaton Ellerby back. Nail Yakupov is available too.

Reactions: Laine Fan

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Didn't like the pick at the time at all (nor do I now), but I was pleasantly surprised that he rose to #11 among OHL D in even-strength points/game by his D+2 season. He has a lot of issues to iron out in his game, but he seems like a good kid who is working hard to make it. That's all you can really ask of a prospect. If he makes the NHL as a regular, that would be a huge bonus, all things considered.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Hate the pick, not the prospect. The Jets deemed Stanley to be worth trading up for, therefore they are the ones we should criticise.
yes because if they waited till 22 instead of 18 then they wouldn't have gotten any criticism.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I would really like to see this narrative turn.

He is a Winnipeg Jet whom was drafted two years ago. By all accounts a really nice guy. I look forward to watching his progress in camp and on the Moose this year.

Rehashing where he was picked is just not helpful and it's been done to death.

Reactions: Saintb

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Didn't like the pick at the time at all (nor do I now), but I was pleasantly surprised that he rose to #11 among OHL D in even-strength points/game by his D+2 season. He has a lot of issues to iron out in his game, but he seems like a good kid who is working hard to make it. That's all you can really ask of a prospect. If he makes the NHL as a regular, that would be a huge bonus, all things considered.
He was a -25 in 2014-15, but since then he's been on the plus side on the 'ol plus minus (+7.+2 and +6 respectively). I also like his 15 goals in 61 games and 16 points in 19 playoff games.

He gets way too much of a bad rap.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hate the pick, not the prospect. The Jets deemed Stanley to be worth trading up for, therefore they are the ones we should criticise.

OK, didn't understand. I agree.

If LS had been taken in the 4th round, where he belonged, or even in the 3rd, he would have the identical criticisms made of his game. But they would be mentioned far less often and not debated much at all. He would just be a mid round pick who has some potential but a long way to go.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

If LS had been taken in the 4th round, where he belonged, or even in the 3rd, he would have the identical criticisms made of his game. But they would be mentioned far less often and not debated much at all. He would just be a mid round pick who has some potential but a long way to go.
he was a 1st rounder on most teams boards. not a 3 or 4th rounder. why cant you come to grips with this.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
he was a 1st rounder on most teams boards. not a 3 or 4th rounder. why cant you come to grips with this.

I know that. I've never denied it. Why do you think that makes him a better player than he is?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

This. A lot of anger has been directed at the wrong person with regards to this pick.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I know that. I've never denied it. Why do you think that makes him a better player than he is?
you just said he belonged in the 4th round. how do you know this, did you watch every draft eligible kid play all year to conclude this like the scores of scouts did who concluded he should have been drafter around where he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->