Prospect Info: Logan Stanley - Part III

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We have a method for dealing with that. The issue is for what OUR purpose is, euro nhles are bad. They get bogged down by the guys who don't jump over till their 26+ and end up playing bit roles.

With the new changes to the NHL site we might be able to do something about that. TOI in non NHL leagues has been a roadblock would go along way for us.

I've toyed with fairly arbitrarily tuning euros but I'm sure that's a not a good system.

If we can't figure it out we may even shelf euros for the time being and focus entirely on just getting NA's REALLY good (not what we want to do as it hurts our long term goal of essentially building what HF was but rather then everything just based off opinion it's all done mathematically (including team rankings)

I like the sound of that goal. :nod: A solution to the Euro issue would be a prerequisite though. They are making up a very large part of the total NHL population now.

I wonder how it might work if you just focused on international play? 18 and under Euros seem to play a lot of international games in addition to the big tournaments that we pay a lot of attention to. Just a thought.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I like the sound of that goal. :nod: A solution to the Euro issue would be a prerequisite though. They are making up a very large part of the total NHL population now.

I wonder how it might work if you just focused on international play? 18 and under Euros seem to play a lot of international games in addition to the big tournaments that we pay a lot of attention to. Just a thought.

Sample size becomes an even bigger issue with international play which what the primary issue for euros is. From what research I've seen done there's very little consistency in performance in international tourneys being a strong indicator of future success

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sample size becomes an even bigger issue with international play which what the primary issue for euros is. From what research I've seen done there's very little consistency in performance in international tourneys being a strong indicator of future success

Are you looking at all international play or just WJC's, Hlinka? I see so many Euros listed on EP with 20+ international games. I don't know anything about where those games come from. For all I know they are pre-tournament exhibitions. Just wondering.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Is it due to having to little of data for league play? Liiga, SHL, NLA, KHL?

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This is simply for shits and giggles to those who hated the fact we took Logan Stanley...

Logan Stanley has 3 goals 7 assists so far this year.

The draft picks we dealt in order to get Logan Stanley and Luke Green
German Rubtsov has 3 goals and 8 assists so far.
Pascal Leberge has 4 goals and 7 assists so far.

How has the rest of Logan Stanley's play been so far this year? Has he shown development?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
This is simply for ****s and giggles to those who hated the fact we took Logan Stanley...

How has the rest of Logan Stanley's play been so far this year? Has he shown development?
i'm confused.
German is a forward.
Laberge is also a centre.

why are you comparing point totals from forwards to that of a d-man?
and we have no idea if the Jets would have picked these two players with those picks.
might as well complain about the Habs drafting Roy with the pick the got from WInnipeg in a trade

Reactions: Halberdier

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is simply for ****s and giggles to those who hated the fact we took Logan Stanley...

Yeah but many hear actually wanted Lucas Johansen & Kale Clague with those picks. Johansen has 4 points in 8 games in the AHL right now. Not amazing but not bad. But Kale Clague has 24 points in 13 games with Brandon so far this year which is a 133 point season over a full WHL season which is more points in a single season then Logan Stanley has garned since Bantam. Probs not the road you want to be going down if you want to rub something in peoples faces.....

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah but many hear actually wanted Lucas Johansen & Kale Clague with those picks. Johansen has 4 points in 8 games in the AHL right now. Not amazing but not bad. But Kale Clague has 24 points in 13 games with Brandon so far this year which is a 133 point season over a full WHL season which is more points in a single season then Logan Stanley has garned since Bantam. Probs not the road you want to be going down if you want to rub something in peoples faces.....

Do you really think Clague will keep up that rate. Is his sh% sustainable?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Do you really think Clague will keep up that rate. Is his sh% sustainable?

Is Steenbergens? WHL shooting %'s are different than NHL. When guys get rolling, they usually keep rolling unless injuries strike. This has been one of the better starts in the last couple decades for the Dub though. League wide really. Multiple players should finish with 50+ goals, 100+ points.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Is Steenbergens? WHL shooting %'s are different than NHL. When guys get rolling, they usually keep rolling.

We weren't talking about Steenbergen. Yes the WHL is not the NHL but players are still susceptible to randomness and streaks.

I will be very surprised if Clague finishes with 125+ points but good on him if he does

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We weren't talking about Steenbergen. Yes the WHL is not the NHL but players are still susceptible to randomness and streaks.

He is shooting at 21.7% so it's not wild to assume that may go down. 5 of his 10 goals are on the PP. But even just taking his assists he will likely finish at a higher rate then Stanley will have points.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Got this link from IC
Lucky meeting left big mark on Stanley
25 point in 30 games so far this year and a chance to play with Team Canada at the WJC. This sounds good but I have not seen him play since the Memorial Cup so if anyone been watching him recently like to hear what you think of his play so far this year and has he improved his play like the offence he is producing this year suggests?.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Got this link from IC
25 point in 30 games so far this year and a chance to play with Team Canada at the WJC. This sounds good but I have not seen him play since the Memorial Cup so if anyone been watching him recently like to hear what you think of his play so far this year and has he improved his play like the offence he is producing this year suggests?.
I think his play has improved, based on a couple of games I've seen. He certainly is producing better, now ranking #4 among OHL defensemen in even strength points/game. I still think he struggles with mobility and quick decisions in his own zone, but his puck moving has really improved.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Got this link from IC

Every interview I have heard or read from Stanley he comes across like a really good kid. I know Thomson was very high on Logan the person and leader last year and those are all the type of characteristics a kid like him will need to drive his game to the next level because he has a long ways to go and hopefully for all of us he gets there one day.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Got this link from IC

From what I've seen its more about usage. He was being used as a shutdown defencemen by Windsor. With the defence they had they had better options for more minutes and PP. Now he is being used in more favourable offensive zone minutes and PP time. His strength is really not in being a shutdown type. It's in being a puck mover and QB from the point.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
From what I've seen its more about usage. He was being used as a shutdown defencemen by Windsor. With the defence they had they had better options for more minutes and PP. Now he is being used in more favourable offensive zone minutes and PP time. His strength is really not in being a shutdown type. It's in being a puck mover and QB from the point.

so more like a Myers type then?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not really. To be honest, he looks more like Chara in his style, but he has a very long way to go before he could ever be considered to have potential close to Chara.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Not really. To be honest, he looks more like Chara in his style, but he has a very long way to go before he could ever be considered to have potential close to Chara.

Myers is a better skater and likes to join the rush a bit more. I'd say he has some similarities in style to Chara's game. Doesn't like to skate the puck much, prefers to pass. Makes some solid passes from the blueline in the offensive zone and likes to control the play from there. Has a hard shot, not as accurate as Chara's but it's heavy. He can get it through traffic well though. I'd say picture Chara with less of a mean streak and not as good defensively.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Myers is a better skater and likes to join the rush a bit more. I'd say he has some similarities in style to Chara's game. Doesn't like to skate the puck much, prefers to pass. Makes some solid passes from the blueline in the offensive zone and likes to control the play from there. Has a hard shot, not as accurate as Chara's but it's heavy. He can get it through traffic well though. I'd say picture Chara with less of a mean streak and not as good defensively.
so like chara when he was 18 ? :D

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks to everyone who responded. Do you think he has the capabilities to be a regular NHL defensive men in the future?

Oleksiak has somehow reached 140 NHL games and he is complete rubbish as a hockey player but happens to be 6'7" so yes Stanley will likely become a regular NHL player the question is at what level? I would take Stanley over Oleksiak any day of the week.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Thanks to everyone who responded. Do you think he has the capabilities to be a regular NHL defensive men in the future?
Hard to say. I think it will all depend on how hard he works at it. I think he has the chance to be a solid bottom-pairing D, but it'll take another 3 or more years of development.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Oleksiak has somehow reached 140 NHL games and he is complete rubbish as a hockey player but happens to be 6'7" so yes Stanley will likely become a regular NHL player the question is at what level? I would take Stanley over Oleksiak any day of the week.

But he can always say he danced Norris Trophy candidate Alex Pietrangelo. A day that will live in infamy.

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->