Prospect Info: Logan Stanley: How has he progressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
That Oleksiak dude from Dallas.
Sometimes i see him make giveaways.
Sometimes he does good stuff.

Can we still see Stanley like him or better?or no?

Stanley at the bottom pair if he can handle it would nice for the Jets D.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That Oleksiak dude from Dallas.
Sometimes i see him make giveaways.
Sometimes he does good stuff.

Can we still see Stanley like him or better?or no?

Stanley at the bottom pair if he can handle it would nice for the Jets D.

He's not tracking as well as Jamie was at the same age. He's tracking more like Moran who hasn't done anything at the NHL level.

But I imagine Maurice and co see what Jaime is doing and are thinking "We still have a chance".

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
He's not tracking as well as Jamie was at the same age. He's tracking more like Moran who hasn't done anything at the NHL level.

But I imagine Maurice and co see what Jaime is doing and are thinking "We still have a chance".

Ok thanks

I hope he makes it.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Would sure be nice if he pans out. If he becomes a suitable 4-5, he’d be a nice trading asset (because let’s face it, he won’t be ahead of Samberg, Morrissey or Heinola).

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Let's be real, we've all watched Randy Jones, Jay Harrison and other memorable studs suit up on our blue line. Logi Bear isn't worse than them.

What about Stuart, Dahlström and early career Chiapet? Later Chiarot at least provided some value.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Would sure be nice if he pans out. If he becomes a suitable 4-5, he’d be a nice trading asset (because let’s face it, he won’t be ahead of Samberg, Morrissey or Heinola).
Don’t think we should ever think of defenceman as trade assets until we have an unquestionable 3 pairs and a good #7 and 8. Even then our #9 and 10 will play good chunks of the season because of injuries. Stanley being able to step in and look good means he is an option to push worse players down the depth chart.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Don’t think we should ever think of defenceman as trade assets until we have an unquestionable 3 pairs and a good #7 and 8. Even then our #9 and 10 will play good chunks of the season because of injuries. Stanley being able to step in and look good means he is an option to push worse players down the depth chart.

Yea our D core is still in shambles. The first two games of the season we placed a #6 and a #8-9 on our top pair. With zero injuries to “our” best 4 D men (not named Heinola or Samberg) we might survive. Realistically until one of Heinola or Samberg legit crack the top 4 we are in trouble because injuries are part of life.

Reactions: KingBogo

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Thought Stanley played a very solid game last night, did something positive almost every shift. No giveaways, 3 shots and a couple of nice passes and a couple of nice puck retrievals down low.

If he can solidify himself as a 5/6 Dman, kills penalties and brings some much needed toughness, he could be exactly what we need in this lineup

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I don't know if he has a hard shot, or if that huge reach when he winds up a slapper makes it look that way. Nevertheless I was holding my breath when he started to wind it up.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
We knew he was going to be a long-shot project, but what I saw last night was a very good testament to the Jets' ability to develop their 1st rounders and to Stanley's work ethic. The guy must have listened to the guidance he was given over the years and he busted his butt to improve the shortfalls of his game. He absolutely earned his right to stay for a few more.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's very difficult to assess Stanley's role / ceiling at the NHL level, but based on his play last night he now looks like he might at least be a #6-7 D at the NHL level. Every team needs that.

I don't have high expectations that he becomes much more than that, but I don't think it's out of the question that he continues to improve and finds a way to become solid defensively. If he gets to a decent level defensively, his generally good offensive capabilities (decent decision-making and passing, and a big shot) could put his ceiling closer to #4-5 on some teams. If Stanley could achieve a similar level to Oleksiak, he would be a very useful player (and I think they share some similarities in terms of strengths and weaknesses and development).

Defensemen have wide variation in development trajectories, largely modulated by opportunity. There are plenty of D that develop slowly / late that become useful D on decent teams (Chiarot, Oleksiak, Graves). For Stanley, one of his main challenges will be opportunity with the Jets, especially with Samberg and Heinola having overtaken him in development over the past couple of seasons.

A big issue for the Jets is that they have a glut of LHD. Unless Samberg or Heinola can switch to RD, it's hard to see how Stanley will find space / opportunity. I'd really like to see the Jets try Samberg with Morrissey.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
When I saw Stanley play, I was at first relieved. Then I was impressed. Now, I'm somewhat excited at the prospect of having a 6'7'' 230 pound defenseman who can strip the puck off of opponents, guard the front of the net, get shots through from the point, and send tape-to-tape outlet passes. Oh, and I can't wait until I see him get mad. I don't care about the whole "the NHL has changed and a little guy can still be a great defenseman"... for the most part, I'll take a good big d-man over a good little d-man every day of the week.

Let's not forget that he wasn't thrown in against a weak team with no offense. Say what you will about Toronto, but they have very dangerous forwards and Stanley was up to the task. In fact, he outplayed his defensive partner and Sami Niku. He had three shots on net, a few takeaways (he was credited with one but I swear I saw more) and made a couple of really nice passes. I really hope that he finds a regular spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad