News Article: Logan Shaw talks about Patrick Roy's Coaching Intensity

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Finally, the avs have a coach. Hope he turns this team into a winner, so we can see some meaningfull hockey again.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
“He’s the smartest guy I’ve ever played for. We had so many systems and different ways to play,” Shaw said of his time playing under Roy. ”He’s intimidating at times; everyone is a little scared of him. He’s intense and he carried that over to practices and our team became intense because of him.”

The way his players talk about him is great news. He was able to motivate grown men as a goalie. I think he can do even more as a coach.

member 116861

We had so many systems and different ways to play

After watching a team coached by Joe Sacco for four years, this quote really excites me.

RingsOfS4turn

Mar 5, 2013
I'm going to hold my excitement and wait and see. Look, its one thing to get 17 and 18 year olds to play for you because you're Patrick Roy but its a hole different ball game when trying to use that nostalgia effect on established NHL'ers. Unfortunately, I believe he will need to use different methods in order to get through to his players.

I'm pretty sure "appearing intimidating" will turn off most players and make them not want to play for him or even want to stay in Denver.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm going to hold my excitement and wait and see. Look, its one thing to get 17 and 18 year olds to play for you because you're Patrick Roy but its a hole different ball game when trying to use that nostalgia effect on established NHL'ers. Unfortunately, I believe he will need to use different methods in order to get through to his players.

I'm pretty sure "appearing intimidating" will turn off most players and make them not want to play for him or even want to stay in Denver.

I don't think he is going to intimidate players and I don't think that's his goal. When you have 4 Stanley Cup rings and 3 Conn Smythe trophies, players are going to respect you.

The players would be pretty damn stupid not to listen to what Roy has to say. I mean, I suppose if they don't care about winning the Cup, then sure ignore him I guess. But Roy is going to demand that his players play hard and they aren't going to have an issue with that because he has the hardware to prove to the players what hard work can do.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
After watching a team coached by Joe Sacco for four years, this quote really excites me.

I think Sacco's lack of emotion and the teams locker room needed an even bigger change. And Roy is bringing it in spades.

Dutchy is going to shine.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Patrick Roy is a players coach and anyone who gives its best shouldn't feel intimidated by him at all. If you mope around the ice and don't give your very best you'll hear from him, but if you fight for every inch of the ice you'll be OK in his book and most importantly he always has his players back. I've never heard anyone of the players he coached speak bad about him, pretty much everyone is raving about his approach to the game, his system and they way he treats his players. The same goes for Touringy who's highly respected in the Q for the work he has done with the Huskies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad