News: Logan Couture signed to an 8 year, $64 million extension; official on Sunday

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
5v5 analysis against similar aged players. With the cap going up, you'd expect a bump in top player salaries. I think he's slightly overpaid, but was underpaid on his last deal so it evens it out.

SeasonAgeTeamLgGPG/60A/60A1/60A2/60PTS/60S/60oiGF/60oiGA/60CF/60CA/60C/60FF/60FA/60F/60Salary
Turris2017-1828NSHNHL650.61.20.60.61.86.43.41.671.75714.853.141.611.56
Johansen2017-1825NSHNHL790.61.10.60.61.74.92.82.163.657.36.447.244.238
Kuznetsov2017-1825WSHNHL790.81.61.20.42.46.73.22.655.961-5.141.846-4.27.8
Average2674.30.71.30.80.52.06.03.12.163.758.45.447.443.93.47.3
Couture2017-1828SJSNHL781.10.70.50.21.86.72.52.762.560.91.64540.84.28
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Who gives f*** about his last deal? This is another deal and it sucks. Never reached 70 pts in his career and he's nearly 30.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
While this is clearly indicative of the new cap realities, so you'd really have to come to terms with, I still look at the player and say "wow".

As a Canucks fan, I approve this deal. I think when he turns 32/33 this looks real bad.

So that'll be 4 years from now. What kind of cap do you think Bo Horvat is going to command in 2022?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
While not thrilled about the cap hit, it's only a $2m raise. We have a ton of cap space. He was going to get at minimum a $1m raise.

paragon

May 5, 2010
So weber at 7.8 million is bad till his 38 but couture who never had good skating wich mean will eventually be worse, 8M till he’s 38 is a good signing?
Weber will be 7.8M until he is 41 and then there's the cap recapture penalty. Yes, it's absolutely terrible. One of the few contracts able to compete with Price for the worst in the league.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Is it just me or is that a lot of money for a guy that always seems like the secondary offensive option on his team?

We’re in a market where the top centers such as Kopitar, Tavares are getting paid over 10 mil a year. Also, unless Tavares comes to SJ, Couture is the best player for San Jose these days.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Wait...is that why @Phu has that username? Mind=blown

When I make a joke, I'm in it for the long haul :D

The Sharks gave a player heading into his 30's both term and a high yearly salary. When has that ever ended well for the team?

When has it not? Doug has successfully shed every albatross contract he ever had.

Couture has what might be called tangible intangibles. He is a great goalscorer and it shows on paper, but what's remarkable about his scoring is it is "clutch" and happens in difficult situations. He is the most consistent road scorer (more points on the road than at home!) we have and is a playoff assassin. So what it seems like he is doing that increases his value over a stat collector actually has some statistical merit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ECBBW

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
So that'll be 4 years from now. What kind of cap do you think Bo Horvat is going to command in 2022?
I did say it was indicative of the new cap realities. I thought he would have commanded $8M when he renewed last year. We were very lucky. I would think and hope he would command much more than $8M in 2022. My comment was much more about the player. I don't think he's worth it now and players who play his style generally fall off a cliff at that age.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I’m not a fan of any of the Sharks long term contracts except for Jones and that’s just aight.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Weber will be 7.8M until he is 41 and then there's the cap recapture penalty. Yes, it's absolutely terrible. One of the few contracts able to compete with Price for the worst in the league.
It's very unlikely that Weber plays until 41. He has one of those cap circumventing contracts that drops to 1M in salary in the last 3 years.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
sadly there are still ppl that can't comprehend paying big $ for their best players

fair deal

Reactions: Phu

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
"omg couture contract so big, no thanks"

2019 July 1st

"damn Couture signed with X team. We should go after Duchene at 7x7, maybe he chooses us"

or

"shit the best center is Ryan Dzingle wtf??"

even better

"we traded Couture for a 29th overall pick and a B prospect at the TDL and now we can try to sign Brassard or Henrique for 4.5m if lucky!"

"nah lets not sign anyone lets tank with Brent Burns"

Reactions: Phu

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
These type of contracts almost ensure another lockout. 8 year is the real concern for an almost 30 year old. 8 million is fair market value I guess but not the greatest value imo. I would of almost let him walk at that price. 10% of team cap but deadly in the playoffs

I'm sure Term is going to be a topic that both sides will discuss. Maybe more from the NHL side, but that means that they need to give up something to drop contract lengths down from 8 years max to 6 years max. NBA max term is now 5 years, but you now have stars opting to move around.

LeBron, Durant, left as free agents. Others basically ended up being dealt cause they wanted out like Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving. Imagine McDavid leaving as a free agent.

Regardless of the max term, it's still up to the NHL teams to not offer term until a player's late 30's. Right now, you have teams like SJ who have signed Burns until he's 40, Vlasic until he is 39, Couture is expected to sign for 8 more years until he is 38.

Thornton and Marleau have lasted until age 39, but over the past couple of years they have moved down the depth chart.

It's the mid level guys like Ladd, Eriksson, Paul Martin types that you really shouldn't be offering term until they are 37/38. Have to cut it off at 35, otherwise, walk away.

I think if you follow the NFL, you are used to Dead Cap space. NFL teams pay out signing bonuses and have guaranteed money for certain milestones, so the signing bonuses are averaged out over the term of the contract, while base salary is counted against the cap based on what is paid each season. When NFL teams cut players, they usually have to eat the signing bonus that has not yet been applied against the cap.

It's just something hockey fans have to get used to.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

lol weber isn't going to play till 41 and the recapture is on nashville so i don'y even know why you bring that up.

Couture signing a 8 year contract for 8 million right now is in the same ballpark as Weber right now. so people saying Weber is a bad contract and Couture just signed an amazing deal are hypocrite.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
lol weber isn't going to play till 41 and the recapture is on nashville so i don'y even know why you bring that up.

Couture signing a 8 year contract for 8 million right now is in the same ballpark as Weber right now. so people saying Weber is a bad contract and Couture just signed an amazing deal are hypocrite.

The difference is Couture is still a good player. Weber has already started declining and is on the way to becoming an overpaid pylon in the near future.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
While not thrilled about the cap hit, it's only a $2m raise. We have a ton of cap space. He was going to get at minimum a $1m raise.

the caphit itself is not a big problem, its the mix of the term and cap that doesn't make it good. Couture is a very smart Center with a high IQ but he's lack of footstep will only get worst with ages, Specially playing Center and with this new era of speed, it's gonna be a great contract for 3-4 years. Then Montreal will trade for him :sarcasm:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The difference is Couture is still a good player. Weber has already started declining and is on the way to becoming an overpaid pylon in the near future.
lmao you clearly haven't watched Weber. he's played injured the games he played this season since game 1 and he's still a very servicable complimentary top pairing Dman.

and it's funny that you compare couture RIGHT now that he's still a good player when im talking about the contract being bad in the future, Weber at 29 year old was considered EASILY a top 3 Dman by almost 95% of HFboards members. he's 33 now.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
the dollar amount is fine, but I'm always wary of 7 and 8 year contracts, especially when morons like Tom Wilson delibeately headshotting people and cheapshotting goon teams like LA and the concussions that stem from them.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I'm sure Term is going to be a topic that both sides will discuss. Maybe more from the NHL side, but that means that they need to give up something to drop contract lengths down from 8 years max to 6 years max. NBA max term is now 5 years, but you now have stars opting to move around.

LeBron, Durant, left as free agents. Others basically ended up being dealt cause they wanted out like Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving. Imagine McDavid leaving as a free agent.

Regardless of the max term, it's still up to the NHL teams to not offer term until a player's late 30's. Right now, you have teams like SJ who have signed Burns until he's 40, Vlasic until he is 39, Couture is expected to sign for 8 more years until he is 38.

Thornton and Marleau have lasted until age 39, but over the past couple of years they have moved down the depth chart.

It's the mid level guys like Ladd, Eriksson, Paul Martin types that you really shouldn't be offering term until they are 37/38. Have to cut it off at 35, otherwise, walk away.

I think if you follow the NFL, you are used to Dead Cap space. NFL teams pay out signing bonuses and have guaranteed money for certain milestones, so the signing bonuses are averaged out over the term of the contract, while base salary is counted against the cap based on what is paid each season. When NFL teams cut players, they usually have to eat the signing bonus that has not yet been applied against the cap.

It's just something hockey fans have to get used to.

Biggest problem I see is most GMs sign those contracts knowing they will be there for the good years and probably will leave the mess of the later years for someone else to clean up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->