Prospect Info: Logan Brown (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Poolparty, another 6'4" player I don't want on this team, he's not even an NHL player anymore. IMO there are better options in this draft over that guy.

Has he even been given a fair shake? How do we know he is not an NHL player already, he was drafted 4th overall 4 years ago, actually reminds me of the Turris situation.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Has he even been given a fair shake? How do we know he is not an NHL player already, he was drafted 4th overall 4 years ago, actually reminds me of the Turris situation.
We know he's not an NHL player because he couldn't make the Edmonton Oilers when they were not a playoff team even though they could have used a very good RWer to play with McDavid & Draisaitl. He couldn't beat out another big useless RWer Chiasson (6'4"). Kassian a big 4th liner who I would take, but most people wouldn't want on their team is playing over him. If we are going to trade an actual NHL player for him trade Reilly or one of the prospects who have no chance to make the NHL like Tychonick for him.

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Why do you think the Brown for Puljujarvi proposal is idiotic?

Puljujarvi hasn't made much progress since being drafted. He was supposed to be an NHL ready player when drafted and he's yet to show that. Brown has made progress, and it was known that he was a player who would take time to make the NHL.

Right now Brown has more potential and at the very least has an equal chance to bust. Plus, he plays a more valuable position.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I've said this before, they need to hold on to Brown and if he a busts, let him bust with us. We can't afford losing him and seeing him flourish elsewhere. I'm not optimistic about him becoming a good NHL based on his game having absolutely no urgency or intensity, but he's obviously skilled and could easily play in the NHL...more so as an Anisimov type player in his peak if anything. He has Shades of a young Spezza, but is not nearly as good. He needs to stay healthy a play some more pro games, he's barely done that so far.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I've said this before, they need to hold on to Brown and if he a busts, let him bust with us. We can't afford losing him and seeing him flourish elsewhere. I'm not optimistic about him becoming a good NHL based on his game having absolutely no urgency or intensity, but he's obviously skilled and could easily play in the NHL...more so as an Anisimov type player in his peak if anything. He has Shades of a young Spezza, but is not nearly as good. He needs to stay healthy a play some more pro games, he's barely done that so far.

Yip, that's my thinking as well. I'd like him to either sink or swim, but with us. We can afford it.

Reactions: robsenz

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We know he's not an NHL player because he couldn't make the Edmonton Oilers when they were not a playoff team even though they could have used a very good RWer to play with McDavid & Draisaitl. He couldn't beat out another big useless RWer Chiasson (6'4"). Kassian a big 4th liner who I would take, but most people wouldn't want on their team is playing over him. If we are going to trade an actual NHL player for him trade Reilly or one of the prospects who have no chance to make the NHL like Tychonick for him.
This is not accurate lol. He made the team and played for them for a while, he choose to leave.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
You don't spend 4 years developing a long-term prospect only to trade him when he's ready to contribute.

Logan Brown was quite easily an NHL player last year when you factor in the minutes he got. He just needs to stay healthy. His two way game was pretty good.

Think about how much of an impact him being sent down had on Duclair. He literally stopped scoring, because he had no playmaking centre to set him up.

Brown had 8 points in 23 games averaging 11 minutes a night as a 21 year old. Mark Stone had 8 in 19 games and more ice time (over 14 minutes) as a 21 year old.

Not saying he'll be Mark Stone, that's not the point here. The point is, we need to be patient. He's a top 6 NHL player and we'll all see that this year.

I also think the addition of Byfield/Stutzle will take a weight off his shoulders as the org and it's fans have expected him to become a 1C. Now he just needs to a be a 2C, which he's pretty close to being already.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Consistently play Brown top 6 minutes with half decent linemates and you will know what you have in 20 games.
This is a year to discover what you have in your prospects and the cream will rise to the top! They need opportunity!

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
You don't spend 4 years developing a long-term prospect only to trade him when he's ready to contribute.

Logan Brown was quite easily an NHL player last year when you factor in the minutes he got. He just needs to stay healthy. His two way game was pretty good.

Think about how much of an impact him being sent down had on Duclair. He literally stopped scoring, because he had no playmaking centre to set him up.

Brown had 8 points in 23 games averaging 11 minutes a night as a 21 year old. Mark Stone had 8 in 19 games and more ice time (over 14 minutes) as a 21 year old.

Not saying he'll be Mark Stone, that's not the point here. The point is, we need to be patient. He's a top 6 NHL player and we'll all see that this year.

I also think the addition of Byfield/Stutzle will take a weight off his shoulders as the org and it's fans have expected him to become a 1C. Now he just needs to a be a 2C, which he's pretty close to being already.

If you asked me what the most memorable part for me personally was from last season (not many), was aside from Brady being Brady, it had to have been the chemistry between Logan and Duclair.

That stretch of games they played together before Brown got injured was the most exciting display of hockey we saw all year, especially that one pass Brown dished to Duclair on that one goal which I have to find again.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To clarify, I'm not saying we need to do anything rash, but I think this does represent a huge opportunity for Logan Brown.

Potential top six time, PP time.

He wouldn't necessarily get that at his stage of development on other NHL teams.

Personally I'm very interested to see how he does with the opportunity.

Similarly, Batherson had a big chance to show his stuff with the big club last year and I don't think he made the most of it. Let's see how he learned from it and applies himself next year (barring more COVID shenanigans).

Sometimes it takes a little while until they can take that extra step.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He has a lot of the skills we currently lack. If he doesn't turn in to a 70 point player he isn't a bust IMO - if we use him down the lineup and he can still produce 45-55 points as a big body it is a win.

He can still refine his game to lean on people and become a tough SOB to take the puck from down low with his reach and size - his vision will then allow him to still create chances at the net.

All that to say perhaps we need to redefine what success looks like for him outside of #1 C.

Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He has a lot of the skills we currently lack. If he doesn't turn in to a 70 point player he isn't a bust IMO - if we use him down the lineup and he can still produce 45-55 points as a big body it is a win.

He can still refine his game to lean on people and become a tough SOB to take the puck from down low with his reach and size - his vision will then allow him to still create chances at the net.

All that to say perhaps we need to redefine what success looks like for him outside of #1 C.

to me a 13-15 minute a night C who is on your #1 PP unit would be a massive win. His talent is NHL #1 PP worthy, just needs to find a roll as a C 5 on 5 somewhere in the lineup. Don’t think he can handle other top NHL centers so would have to be bottom 6 minutes and roll

Reactions: Sweatred

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

This says a lot.

If we added Logan into the mix of this year's draft, where would he fit - Top 10? 15? 20? - and its a specially deep year at forward and several D and a G are taking spots as well. He's a guy we'd draft if we could and we already have him. He'd probably slot pretty close to his draft position and as stated, its a deeper draft.
Plus we have Norris as well.

A depth chart at Centre with Byfield/Stuetzle, Norris, Brown, Tierney, White, Chlapik, Pinto is excellent for the rebuild. Other teams would be grateful. And that's only using the 3slot on BPA Byfield/Stuetzle.

Raymond/Perfetti/Rossi/Quinn/whomever as the 5slot (if we use it on a forward) strengthens the entire top 12 in a moment.

Laminator

May 25, 2014
Listen to Trent Manns interview on TSN 1200 this morning. Did anyone else notice/find it weird that Trent didn't mention anything about Logan Brown when he was talking about Ottawa center depth going forward?

Reactions: Clayonator

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Listen to Trent Manns interview on TSN 1200 this morning. Did anyone else notice/find it weird that Trent didn't mention anything about Logan Brown when he was talking about Ottawa center depth going forward?
Nope.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Should/probably be/was a kick in the pants.

For all the negatives on Brown, the guy’s skill is unquestionable. And he did have a noticeable offensive impact when he was in the lineup. He has been trending upward and his production has been excellent in the A, it’s do or die for Brown. Unless we lining him up for a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad