Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Aside from height, they are pretty much polar opposites

Big, soft, slow, injury-prone center who has decent hands and is good at protecting the puck. Good play-maker? Yeah, but honestly, from what I've seen he can dish the puck only when opponents allow him. Whenever he plays against NHL-caliber players under pressure, he looks lost out there. I have my doubts his vision and smarts will translate well into NHL.

So which 6'5+ player would you compare him to? Getzlaf-lite doesn't cut it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Didnt Brown start at some crazy pace last season. before he got hurt??I think it was like 30 some points in his first 13 games or so .That alone makes me excited .Kid needs to be a little meaner against people wanting to hack and whack at him .

The criticism early this year was that his production was almost all on the PP. I think it was something like 20 pts in his first 14 games,

edit: Just checked , it seems 17 pts in his first 7 games before getting hurt, (but 12 of the first 14 were Power Play pts in the first 6 games). His first 4 games back from an injury, he added another 7 assists (not sure if he played some games after the first 7 but before missing time to that injury),

There were comments early on this year that he added a physical element to his game before getting hurt too, so that's nice, but I didn't see it later in the season (well, post season) when I caught some of his games.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
https://twitter.com/Ziggy_14/status/890226232805253121

Thought this was interesting, he is shooting from the high impact areas and shoots a lot but the production isnt there as of yet. From what I remember he was dealing with some injury issues last season so hopefully he improves this season

Looking back again at this and based on this table... How come his "scoring rate" is so bad (lower than league average, out of 264 forwards) when he was 23rd in Pts/Game among forwards?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
If he turns it around he could be our own Martin Hanzal one day.

Aside from height, they are pretty much polar opposites

Not even close in style.

If we have a player we would hope (or at least I was kind of hoping) would be a Martin Hanzal type it's Nick Paul. Not sure the upside is there (I did 18 months ago though), but his style is much more similar to Hanzal. If he can become a poor man's Hanzal that wold be huge for the Sens.

As for Brown I see a guy from back a few years now: Jason Allison. In the current NHL maybe Mark Scheifele (in style and upside).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Big, soft, slow, injury-prone center who has decent hands and is good at protecting the puck. Good play-maker? Yeah, but honestly, from what I've seen he can dish the puck only when opponents allow him. Whenever he plays against NHL-caliber players under pressure, he looks lost out there. I have my doubts his vision and smarts will translate well into NHL.

There's really no need to limit comparisons to players that are 6'5+ though. It only serves to needlessly exclude guys that had a similar skillset and impact at the same age and are now solid NHL players, which I can only assume is your intent.

He's by no means a guaranteed great player, but just because there are very few 6'5 players that have been stars in the NHL doesn't mean he can't be, correlation does not equal causation after all, and I suspect the issue is the pool of extremely tall athletes that choose Hockey as their sport of choice is very small for a variety of reasons.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Comparing to other 6'5+ players is silly. I see Malkin/Spezza type of play. Obviously he has a low chance of reaching that level (especially Malkin, Spezza is more reachable if we exclude the Pizza days and they're both Spitfires lol).

Your description of Brown is very off, other than saying he's "big"... He's definitely not slow, both objectively and subjectively (relative to his height). He's faster than guys like Getzlaf and Spezza were when drafted, that's for sure. "Decent hands" is selling him short for probably his best asset other than his vision. He's better than a "good playmaker", and as for your doubts on his vision and smarts translating to the NHL, I guess time will tell, but I highly doubt your doubts...

The bold is odd to me because he's never played in the NHL. If you want to make that judgment you should at least wait until he plays a couple of games here. I realize you probably mean against NHL-caliber "prospects", but that's just a weird statement to make.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Comparing to other 6'5+ players is silly. I see Malkin/Spezza type of play. Obviously he has a low chance of reaching that level (especially Malkin, Spezza is more reachable if we exclude the Pizza days and they're both Spitfires lol).

Your description of Brown is very off, other than saying he's "big"... He's definitely not slow, both objectively and subjectively (relative to his height). He's faster than guys like Getzlaf and Spezza were when drafted, that's for sure. "Decent hands" is selling him short for probably his best asset other than his vision. He's better than a "good playmaker", and as for your doubts on his vision and smarts translating to the NHL, I guess time will tell, but I highly doubt your doubts...

The bold is odd to me because he's never played in the NHL. If you want to make that judgment you should at least wait until he plays a couple of games here. I realize you probably mean against NHL-caliber "prospects", but that's just a weird statement to make.

Maybe he meant in international tourneys? Perhaps the Mem cup? Dev or training camp?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Maybe he meant in international tourneys? Perhaps the Mem cup? Dev or training camp?

Probably all of those things. It's just an odd statement to make considering how precise it is, imo. I also find it to be incorrect from my viewings.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Would be really disappointed if he turns out to be Martin Hanzal.

That won't happen.

In style I'd compare him to Turris actually. Good skater, good hands, good vision, just has a bigger reach. Defensive game obviously not as good as Turris. This is not a guy that would be able to play a role like Hanzal does IMO, Hanzal is a good defensive player with an offensive flair.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He, along with Keller, was the best player at the U-18's which was littered with other 1st rounders.

I'm not sure where you'd come up with that anyways with such a small, and precise sample size.

I don't really need to compare him to a player that's 6-5+, that just seems silly to me. But if I were using a play-style comparable, he is probably the closest thing to Spezza since 2001.

I don't think he's slow. He had an injury plagued year, not sure I'd label him injury prone after 1 season, but maybe that's just me.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Dylan Strome is more like Spezza than Brown imo.

That won't happen.

In style I'd compare him to Turris actually. Good skater, good hands, good vision, just has a bigger reach. Defensive game obviously not as good as Turris. This is not a guy that would be able to play a role like Hanzal does IMO, Hanzal is a good defensive player with an offensive flair.
Agreed. Just don't agree with whoever said that it would be a good pick if he turns out to be Hanzal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He, along with Keller, was the best player at the U-18's which was littered with other 1st rounders.

I'm not sure where you'd come up with that anyways with such a small, and precise sample size.

I don't really need to compare him to a player that's 6-5+, that just seems silly to me. But if I were using a play-style comparable, he is probably the closest thing to Spezza since 2001.

I don't think he's slow. He had an injury plagued year, not sure I'd label him injury prone after 1 season, but maybe that's just me.

I agree, whenever I have watched him at the last two development camps & on TV (Memorial Cup, OHL playoffs) he often reminds me of a Spezza lite with a little less offence. He really needs to work on his strength, speed & determination. Ottawa should consider trading for Brendan Lemieux to play with him again.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

We agree on pretty much everything here :yo:

Mehhh... I don't really like Strome tbh so maybe I'm biased, but he screams passenger to me.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Size is an advantage in so many ways aside from physicality. The long reach and skating stride of a tall player can have big advantages.

He is never going to be Getzlaf like. He is not a banger at all. No Spezza or Spezza lite is what he is most likely going to be like if he works out. That is the big framed centre with a long reach and hockey sense. He is just not a tough guy grinder type like Getzlaf. He never will be and I doubt anyone expects him to be.

Size can also be a disadvantage if you're lanky. Typically means a lack of strength and balance, despite towering over his opposition. Brown is lanky as hell right now. Hasn't broke 200lbs, despite being 6'6.5. His weight in his prime should be 220-230lbs at least.

Brown isn't afraid to throw his body around. Watch the Memorial Cup again and you'd see him throwing the body against defenders all the time. He's not a devastated Lucic-type hitter, but he's not allergic to contact like Spezza.

You forget that Getzlaf wasn't always the player he is now. Dude was lazy and uninterested in junior. He smartened up in his 20s and starting using his size and talent to dominate the opposition. Hope Brown can do the same one day.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Agreed. Just don't agree with whoever said that it would be a good pick if he turns out to be Hanzal.

A healthy Hanzal is a 40-50 pts high end to elite shutdown center that can line up against anyone in the league. That's one hell of a good player for an 11th OA, even if it's not a sexy pick or a specific need for this team. Problem with Hanzal is he can't stay healthy, but I digress; Brown will not be another Hanzal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Size can also be a disadvantage if you're lanky. Typically means a lack of strength and balance, despite towering over his opposition. Brown is lanky as hell right now. Hasn't broke 200lbs, despite being 6'6.5. His weight in his prime should be 220-230lbs at least.

Brown isn't afraid to throw his body around. Watch the Memorial Cup again and you'd see him throwing the body against defenders all the time. He's not a devastated Lucic-type hitter, but he's not allergic to contact like Spezza.

You forget that Getzlaf wasn't always the player he is now. Dude was lazy and uninterested in junior. He smartened up in his 20s and starting using his size and talent to dominate the opposition. Hope Brown can do the same one day.

He was listed at 211 at last years training camp and 216 at this year's dev camp

otown

Sep 4, 2009
As long as Brown displays a work ethic, he has the potential to be a solid player. My fear is that he does not respond to a much higher and more challenging level of competition in the NHL.
He can rise to it and pay some hard dues as he strives to reach his potential, or sink like a stone. He didn't impress me in dev camp. Hope he proves me wrong.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nobody answered that question...

It was ES pts I believe, and a per 60 rate, so he played more ES mins (estimated I believe, because as far as I know CHL doesn't officially track ES TOI) and scored a higher portion of his pts on the PP.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
So Logan Brown has Claude Giroux potential?

Interesting.

Logan Brown has #1c potential. He is the exact player we should've drafted and gambled on. I don't understand how anyone could be mad if he doesn't pan out.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->