Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think Chabot and Brannstrom are ahead of him in that regard, but he's probably 3rd. Bath and Tkachuk more likely to hit their ceilings tho

Im not so sure about that if a Browns off ice commitment translates to on ice success... At 6’6 230lbs with his offensive skills... not many Centers that can match up against him

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Think I fixed it. It's on NHL.com if it still doesn't work.

Basically talking about how he switched trainers and regimes and he feels a big difference. Put on 10lbs while not losing conditioning, stating he's in the best shape of his life (a common August answer from players who have their skating criticized). Also brings up how he wants to be a leader at the rookie tourney next weekend. Knows he has a chance to make the team and wants to be a part of the core that is coming together in Ottawa. I'm really excited to watch the kid play this year.

My two takeaway quotes:

"It was a whole new approach that consisted of longer workouts with more intensity. I ended up putting on about 10 pounds and I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life."

"I feel like I've gained the extra strength without giving up any of the conditioning so I'm definitely excited to put it to use."

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, the kid is saying all the right things. Going to be fun in the next few weeks to see it on the ice.

I saw the photo somewhere online of Brown and his trainer. He'll look good getting off the bus, as my father likes to say. Now we find out if the kid can actually play.

Side note - Michael McLeod, who went right after Brown in 2016 at 12th overall, played 21 games for the Devils last year and had zero goals and three assists. In fact, with the exception of Charlie McAvoy, no one drafted after Brown in that first round of 2016 has done much in the NHL, so it's not like we passed on a bunch of sure fire NHLers to draft him...

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The reason they'd trade Brown would be inconsistency/effort. I certainly have wondered if it's something we'd see them do. Earlier in the off season, Dorion stated that they would not take skill without effort/compete. Judging by some of the stuff that has come out in the last week or so about Brown's effort so far this off season, in the short term he seems motivated. As long as he doesn't start DJing, I think he will stay a Senator.

He was always a huge boom/bust prospect. The best characterization about Brown came at the 2016 draft. Jeff Marek claimed GMs were "afraid" of Brown falling to them because he had such a high ceiling, but was also such a question mark. They didn't want to be the ones to have to choose whether to take a player in the top 10 who might be a bust, or pass on a guy in the top 10 who might be a big highly skilled center.

I'm fine with the Senators doubling down on that gamble. Brown is our most intriguing prospect to me. He might not be our absolute top prospect, but his size and skill at the center position makes him a very fascinating prospect.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Im not so sure. I know bellows had a down year in the A, but hes a talented kid. He was dominant at his wjc.

You can't use the WJC as a primary measuring stick on a kid. It's a ten day tournament, and we've seen guys get hot for that tournament and then never do much again. We've also seen guys have a disappointing WJC and then go on to have a very good NHL career. It's the one we all get to see on TV, though, so all of us armchair scouts place an outsized importance on it. Maybe Bellows does turn it around soon, but I would place more importance on his year in the A last year than on a tournament that only featured a small handful of competitive games.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am very hopeful when it comes to Brown. He looks like he is in great shape coming into camp. I think he was really good for stretches last year in Belleville. I think his 2 way game is underrated. He is ok defensively and really good offensively , particularly inside the blue line. Brown's issue has been his pace but he is also a big guy that covers a lot of ice and doesn't look like he's going all out like a smaller shorter legged player. If he can become consistently better with his pace every shift he can play. He is obviously big enough, skilled enough, smart enough and fast enough. Graduating to the NHL for him will be about pace and details defensively. I am hopeful and I think we see him up here for an extended look and full time by the end of the year if he stays healthy.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
You can't use the WJC as a primary measuring stick on a kid. It's a ten day tournament, and we've seen guys get hot for that tournament and then never do much again. We've also seen guys have a disappointing WJC and then go on to have a very good NHL career. It's the one we all get to see on TV, though, so all of us armchair scouts place an outsized importance on it. Maybe Bellows does turn it around soon, but I would place more importance on his year in the A last year than on a tournament that only featured a small handful of competitive games.
I get what youre saying, but theres also the eye test to consider, and its a best on best tournament. Some guys have a natural skillset that shines through in that tourney. And down years in the A happen for rookies. I dont see him as riskoer than brown

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm eager to see how the added strength affects Brown's game. I suspect he's going to come into camp with a lot of confidence, if he can use the rookie camp to find his timing he could steal a spot in the big clubs lineup right off the bat and never look back.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I get what youre saying, but theres also the eye test to consider, and its a best on best tournament. Some guys have a natural skillset that shines through in that tourney. And down years in the A happen for rookies. I dont see him as riskoer than brown

Agreed... but some of the games are vs weaker countries. In the end the best on best is limited to a few games and a very small sample size.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Im not so sure about that if a Browns off ice commitment translates to on ice success... At 6’6 230lbs with his offensive skills... not many Centers that can match up against him

Agreed. Obviously he's not nearly the same tier of skill, but if Logan Brown plays up to his potential he'll be the closest thing to Eric Lindros Ottawa has ever had.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am very hopeful when it comes to Brown. He looks like he is in great shape coming into camp. I think he was really good for stretches last year in Belleville. I think his 2 way game is underrated. He is ok defensively and really good offensively , particularly inside the blue line. Brown's issue has been his pace but he is also a big guy that covers a lot of ice and doesn't look like he's going all out like a smaller shorter legged player. If he can become consistently better with his pace every shift he can play. He is obviously big enough, skilled enough, smart enough and fast enough. Graduating to the NHL for him will be about pace and details defensively. I am hopeful and I think we see him up here for an extended look and full time by the end of the year if he stays healthy.

I like Brown's size, reach, puck-handling, and passing. I want to see more consistent scoring, quicker feet, increased speed, some physical play and some Brian Burke style truculence! :)

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

His stretches in belleville were a cause for a lot of optimism. I feel as you do, very excited to see him work his way into the nhl.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Bellows is another sniper who needs a playmaker to get him the puck, as Bondra said, he doesn't make his linemakes better but he can close like Hoffman. Brown on the other hand is an excellent playmaker like Spezza who can make his linemates better with a perfect pass for an easy goal. And just like Spezza the way he plays will piss people off but like Spezza, Brown will have to keep producing pts consistently to keep people off his back since he will never look like he is trying hard enough for some people, me included.

IMO Brown's size, reach & weight will be difficult for a lot of centres & defencemen to handle in the offensive zone & around the net. Mathews is not going to be able to push his way to the net against Brown as easily as he could against Turris, as an example. Of course, they will need to convince Brown to play at both ends & if he can do that I expect he could be a significant player for this team's future.

Reactions: NB613

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Down to the important questions...Ill set it up. There are two players with the same last name (Brown) - one is a full time NHLer, the other is knocking at the door and could make the team at any time.

Does Connor put an initial in front of his name on his jersey at the start of training camp? Does he take it off after training camp if Logan fails to make the team?

Or does Connor only put one on when Logan actually makes the team, and not a day before? It would be a strong arm move to refuse to put one on at training camp, and make Logan do the initial all by himself. But I might do the same in his shoes.

What if Logan makes the team, but gets sent down later on? Does Connor switch it back? Does this send a message to Logan from Conor that he thinks he belongs in the minors?

What if Logan tells him not to bother taking it off, and that he'll be right back - as hes getting demoted to belleville. And then Connor does it anyways.

Im concerned with a potential Brown power struggle coming up, and would like to know what to expect. Hopefully they can learn to co exist peacefully.

Last edited:

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Down to the important questions...Ill set it up. There are two players with the same last name (Brown) - one is a full time NHLer, the other is knocking at the door and could make the team at any time.

Does Connor put an initial in front of his name on his jersey at the start of training camp? Does he take it off after training camp if Logan fails to make the team?

Or does Connor only put one on when Logan actually makes the team, and not a day before? It would be a strong arm move to refuse to put one on at training camp, and make Logan do the initial all by himself. But I might do the same in his shoes.

What if Logan makes the team, but gets sent down later on? Does Connor switch it back? Does this send a message to Logan from Conor that he thinks he belongs in the minors?

What if Logan tells him not to bother taking it off, and that he'll be right back - as hes getting demoted to belleville. And then Connor does it anyways.

Im concerned with a potential Brown power struggle coming up, and would like to know what to expect. Hopefully they can learn to co exist peacefully.

You realize there are going to be people who take this dead seriously...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->