Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brown has already played a season in the AHL.

He can learn on the job in the NHL and most importantly from Logan’s point of view can earn an NHL pay check.

I can see your point about Tierney or Pageau increased value in a top 6 role, but that can still be accomplished with Brown in the NHL.

He played 56 games where he went ice cold for the last 12, he hasnt played a full season in the AHL and never played a pro playoff game. Brown has never showed the ability to be consistent over a full pro season thats what he needs to do in my estimation to show he is ready for the NHL. Its not about his talent or skill level he has plenty of that, its his maturity, commitment and compete he needs to prove. He is going to get eaten alive in the NHL this year in the role he would have to play, then they send him down and hows his confidence?.. I havent seen an argument presented that its the right decision to have him in the NHL other than 'the sens dont have anyone else so why not'.

Mark Stone played 98 AHL games including 7 playoff games. Brown is not more NHL ready than Stone was at the same age I just dont see the benefit of rushing the player just because.

Reactions: Crosside

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I think it is likely the Sens choose to sour the relationship by sending Brown to the AHL. I just don’t think they should.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Brown can stay down and help win us a Calder Cup.

It is the best plan. Winning is great for the team and also he can build his leadership skills down there.
Every young boy dreams about winning the Calder Cup...

Brown would much rather collect an NHL pay check and play in the best league in the world. At some point, the Sens have to start thinking about building positive relationships with their young players.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I think it is likely the Sens choose to sour the relationship by sending Brown to the AHL. I just don’t think they should.
I feel like they will be in the same boat with Wolanin. Wolanin also does not dream of winning the Calder Cup and sees at least 4 d-men that for some reason are ahead of him on the depth chart but 4 of whom he is clearly better than.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Mark Stone played 98 AHL games including 7 playoff games. Brown is not more NHL ready than Stone was at the same age I just dont see the benefit of rushing the player just because.

Mark Stone was a late bloomer and wasn’t trying to crack the worst roster in the NHL.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Brown would much rather collect an NHL pay check and play in the best league in the world. At some point, the Sens have to start thinking about building positive relationships with their young players.

You have some insight on how the relationships are with the current younger players?

If you have any information please share, otherwise, please stop making baseless statements. Seriously.

I am sure Brown would prefer top play for the big team, but I am sure he knows it is a rebuilding team. As @bert said, he has only played a partial AHL season.

Reactions: Crosside

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Thats how you let players walk all over you, its not up to them and this is not how it works.

Mark Stone was a late bloomer and wasn’t trying to crack the worst roster in the NHL.

This is factually incorrect, Stone was way ahead of Brown at the same age, he came off back to back 100 plus point seasons in Jr. He dominated the AHL and forced the team to call him up thats how you develop players properly. If Brown does that in his second season he should come up too.

What does the current roster have to do with where the player is at at this point in their development? They should have absolutely nothing to do with one another. You still havent answered or rebutted the concept that Brown will have to deal with a negative losing environment while taking matchups he isnt ready for.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You have some insight on how the relationships are with the current younger players?

If you have any information please share, otherwise, please stop making baseless statements. Seriously.

I am sure Brown would prefer top play for the big team, but I am sure he knows it is a rebuilding team. As @bert said, he has only played a partial AHL season.
Brown played the entire season in the AHL minus the 2 games he played with the big club.

Applying common sense is something posters can and should do.

Brown will make 70,000 if he plays in the AHL.

Brown will make 832,500 in the NHL with the potential for another 710,000 in performance bonuses.

So is Brown happier living out his dream of playing in the NHL or riding the busses and trying to win a Calder Cup?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Brown played the entire season in the AHL minus the 2 games he played with the big club.

Brown will make 832,500 in the NHL with the potential for another 710,000 in performance bonuses.

So is Brown happier living out his dream of playing in the NHL or riding the busses and trying to win a Calder Cup?
No player is happy to be sent to the AHL from camp regardless of what team they're on. It's all up to the player to work hard and get better to get called up again (if he does start the year in the AHL). I'd get your point if he played the entire year in the NHL last year, but not the opposite. There would be nothing wrong with him starting in the AHL at least. Personally I think he should start in the NHL if he outplays other players in camp and then see where he's at around November.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

I will ask Brown today if I see him. Only he knows.

Here's his game stats. Your wrong again on the number of games.

Logan Brown at eliteprospects.com

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

Ok he is better to make one or 2 year at 832500 in a life or make couple of millon in a entire career

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Thats how you let players walk all over you, its not up to them and this is not how it works.

This is factually incorrect, Stone was way ahead of Brown at the same age, he came off back to back 100 plus point seasons in Jr. He dominated the AHL and forced the team to call him up thats how you develop players properly. If Brown does that in his second season he should come up too.

What does the current roster have to do with where the player is at at this point in their development? They should have absolutely nothing to do with one another. You still havent answered or rebutted the concept that Brown will have to deal with a negative losing environment while taking matchups he isnt ready for.
Athlete development takes place best when they are playing vs competition that is slightly above their current level. Playing in the NHL and learning on the job is a viable developmental path for Brown and one that I’m sure he’d prefer.

Mistakes are learning. Expectations for the Sens are extremely low and Brown can learn on the job.

Reactions: NB613

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Depends on the context.

The point of the matter is Logan Brown, will be fine playing a full season (minus some on call-up time) in the AHL

It's not like he has been buried there for 2 years.
The point is that Brown has already had the “learn in the AHL” experience.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Logan Brown is plenty good enough right now to play PP1 for Ottawa. The question is can he play a regular shift in the top 9 at the pace consistently enough. I think he deserves the shot to show he can because I think he can help put up points on the PP... in case anyone takes a goalie interference penalty in our end.

Not sure what the plan is , or if there is a plan at all. Belleville looks like a good spot to be to compete into the playoffs. Does Dorion sell the vets off at the TDL and deplete Belleville of its better players down the stretch in the AHL?

I'd like to see Brown be given a chance to prove he belongs at the start of the year. And I think he should not be given the Boucher -> Nick Paul treatment. He should be played up the lineup and coached to push his pace and see how he does.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The point is that Brown has already had the “learn in the AHL” experience.

No he didnt he hasnt played a single pro playoff game. If anything his nose dive in production showed that he hasnt learnt, he stopped producing when the team needed him most.

Any player that missed a single game due to injury didn’t play a full season...

One thing to miss one game its another to never show the ability to play a consistent game longer than 30 game stretches or get to 70 total games. He needs to show he can do that, he simply hasnt yet. When he does he will be ready to be brought up.

Reactions: Variable26

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wolanin only played 40 games in the AHL, but nobody was saying we should leave him down (this year or last year tbh). Jaros only played 45 games in the AHL. White has 50 career games in Belleville/Bingo. His production there wasn't as good as Browns, but there was no shortage of those who felt he needed to be with the big club. Zibanejad only ever played 29 AHL games, and was able to fit in pretty quickly putting up ~40 pts paces from the 3rd line.

Personally, I'd like to see Brown at camp before predicting whats best for his development. The nice thing about the offseason is if gives players time to work on the weaknesses that were exposed in a prospects first year of pro hockey. Maybe he comes to camp with an extra bit of explisiveness in his first step, maybe late season collapse left him hungry and he hit the gym, who knows.

I'd love to see him come in the way Stone and Hoffman did; playing 3rd/4th line mins with another high skilled guy (Batherson) as a scoring line. Heck, throw them out there with Formenton, could be a heck of a line. Maybe we see it mid season...

Tkachuk-White-Brown ---> top line... leaves something to be desired.
Duclaire-Tierney-Balcers ---> not a terrible 2nd line, would make a good 3rd.
Anisimov-Pageau-Ennis ---> traditional shutdown line. Will likely be hated by fans
Formenton-Brown-Batherson ---> everbody will say this should be our first line, but they'll only get 11 mins a night.

Eating popcorn in the pressbox line Boedker, Ryan

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No he didnt he hasnt played a single pro playoff game. If anything his nose dive in production showed that he hasnt learnt, he stopped producing when the team needed him most.

One thing to miss one game its another to never show the ability to play a consistent game longer than 30 game stretches or get to 70 total games. He needs to show he can do that, he simply hasnt yet. When he does he will be ready to be brought up.
Brown could play the next 5 years in Ottawa and never play a pro playoff game. If he’s a ppg player will he still need AHL playoff games to be ready?

There is no one ideal developmental path. Brown will survive either way. I just feel that with the tank in operation, the NHL is learning environment that Brown could thrive in and that he’d be far happier with the organization if they give him the chance to prove he belongs.

If after a half a season he is floundering, then send him down.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He played a FULL SEASON in the AHL.

Missing some games due to injury doesn’t change that fact.

This is getting goofy.

When people said he only played one partial season in the AHL, it was clear they were commenting on him having missed significant time to injuries and a short callup. Nobody was suggesting he was sitting at home refusing to show up, they were just pointing out he hasn't had a full healthy season of development in that league.

There really is no need to die on this pedamtic hill... The point was always he did not play the full 72 game schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->