Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I have a feeling he will be used as a trade chip eventually.

Dorion has talked about not taking skill without commitment/compete. Hasn't the book on Brown always been boom/bust because he fits that highly skilled but inconsistently competitive archetype?

He has a very intriguing skillset. He will probably be the most interesting prospect to watch this year because be is far from a sure thing but has such an interesting ceiling.

I can’t recall anything out of Belleville to suggest he wasn’t working hard in 2018... if anything I recall the opposite. Mann suggested more than once he was was driving the BSENS as much as any skater.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Dorion has talked about not taking skill without commitment/compete. Hasn't the book on Brown always been boom/bust because he fits that highly skilled but inconsistently competitive archetype?

He has a very intriguing skillset. He will probably be the most interesting prospect to watch this year because be is far from a sure thing but has such an interesting ceiling.

I think it would be crazy to trade him unless we can use him to undeniably improve. I would not give up on him. He is a big guy that has a lot of growing strength wise to do into his frame. He is definitely one of our highest upside prospects and plays a position of need.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I think it would be crazy to trade him unless we can use him to undeniably improve. I would not give up on him. He is a big guy that has a lot of growing strength wise to do into his frame. He is definitely one of our highest upside prospects and plays a position of need.

I think it’s encouraging his dad (who’s used to be coach of the 67s) didn’t allow him to work out until just recently.

I think he’s going to improve immensely once he fills out his frame. Add that to all the other areas of his game he does well, I don’t see why he can’t be at least a high end 2C

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Yikes - what would you want to trade him for ? This team is desperate for young, skilled, centers.
For a better young center or a establish center. Ex: try to make a deal for Point or for Stamkos next year if Tamba win the cup. But the more realistic deal is a package for Hopkins

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
For a better young center or a establish center. Ex: try to make a deal for Point or for Stamkos next year if Tamba win the cup. But the more realistic deal is a package for Hopkins

That's a terrible idea. You're not getting Point for him. And neither RNH or Stamkos will help with the rebuild long term.

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

If Brown becomes good enough to become a centerpiece in a trade for a player like point why would you trade him ?

If you're suggesting he becomes a throw in to a trade to aquire a player like Point well then sure but why would other teams have interest in him ?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Brown becomes good enough to become a centerpiece in a trade for a player like point why would you trade him ?

If you're suggesting he becomes a throw in to a trade to aquire a player like Point well then sure but why would other teams have interest in him ?

It is more of a prediction than a suggestion.

If he is traded, it won't be because he has become good. It'll be based on his potential. Sens risking selling low because they don't like his overall traits or think he won't reach his ceiling because of them.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Brown makes less $$$ than nearly every suggested trade proposal ... I just don’t see it happening.... at least until we have a log jam at 1-2C

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just stick with the kid.

While he has a Spezza-esque style...I wouldn't put any type of Spezza labels on him. Don't want to set expectations too high, especially since this team doesn't have much of a supporting cast and a relative unknown behind the bench.

The organization has to do everything possible to give this kid the best chance of success possible. He fits this team, our timeline...and we've already invested a few years in him already. No point moving him after we put in the investment, only to see Team B get the dividends.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
He's legitimately the only guy in the whole organization who could actually be a #1 C.

You just keep doubling down on him until he either booms or busts.

Nugent Hopkins is just a stop gap centre. Why bother.

Point would cost you too much and I doubt he will be able to do much in Ottawa with no supporting cast outside Tkachuk. He's also very small for a #1 C.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Um, he’s the key to our future success. Not tradeable at this point.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Lots of players who develop into 1C never produced offence like Spezza did. It's hard to determine Brown's potential because of all the injuries he's had.

Completely true. I can name at least 10 first line centers in the NHL that never set the world on fire in junior;

Bergeron
Point
O'Reilly
Scheifele
Getzlaf
Dubois
Monahan
Couture
Zibanejad
Pavelski
Marchessault
Horvat
Carter
Kopitar

None of those guys were junior scoring phenoms, and yet all of them at some point have been good 1st line centers. Some of them even won the cup as the #1 guy.

Point being is that we have no idea what Brown will be, but he absolutely has the skill, vision, size and pedigree to develop into a top line center if all the stars align for him.

Hes a unique player with an unusually high ceiling (no pun intended), and hes already shown what he can do as a pro once he gets settled in and healthy. So Im a bit puzzled by the overwhelming hate he gets.

Either way, its undeniably possible to land a #1C outside of the top 5. You just need a bit of luck.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I’d stick with him until he figures it out or becomes a bust. Development is not linear and Brown strikes me as the type of player that’ll take awhile to show his true potential.

He should be in the AHL until Christmas and finish the season in Ottawa.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The team is destined for 31st. They need to see what they have in Brown.
I don't disagree. But you don't have to have him up all year to see that and we could care less how we do in the NHL.

All I am looking for with him is that when we do have him up we ensure he is with complimentary wingers and not spare parts. Yes to Batherson and Tkachuk, no to Boedker and Ennis.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I don't disagree. But you don't have to have him up all year to see that and we could care less how we do in the NHL.

All I am looking for with him is that when we do have him up we ensure he is with complimentary wingers and not spare parts. Yes to Batherson and Tkachuk, no to Boedker and Ennis.
With the unstated (and entirely necessary) goal of finishing at or near the bottom of the NHL next season, it is the perfect cost free opportunity to play Brown in the NHL and see what they have. I really don’t see any value in having him go back to the AHL to give time to non core components like Tierney, Anisimov or Pageau.

Like you, I really hope they provide him with skilled line mates to maximize his potential.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's legitimately the only guy in the whole organization who could actually be a #1 C.

You just keep doubling down on him until he either booms or busts.

Nugent Hopkins is just a stop gap centre. Why bother.

Point would cost you too much and I doubt he will be able to do much in Ottawa with no supporting cast outside Tkachuk. He's also very small for a #1 C.
Point is a team Canada level player if the sens somehow managed to get him he would be the best player on the team. His motor and compete is off the charts.

He is never coming here unless the sens package a top 5 pick for him plus something else.

Brown isnt even considered a top 50 prospect anymore. Trading him when his value is this low is foolish. He is a big player they take longer to develop. 1 more full season in the AHL then bring him up next year and see where he is at. He needs to prove he can play 70 games. Needs to fill out.

Reactions: Variable26

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With the unstated (and entirely necessary) goal of finishing at or near the bottom of the NHL next season, it is the perfect cost free opportunity to play Brown in the NHL and see what they have. I really don’t see any value in having him go back to the AHL to give time to non core components like Tierney, Anisimov or Pageau.

Like you, I really hope they provide him with skilled line mates to maximize his potential.

I dissagree about not seeing the value of him playing in the AHL. You're right next season is meaningless, why put him in such a difficult position on a bad team. He needs to play top 6 minutes so he is going to get the other teams best players and top defensive matchups before he has proven he is ready for them, it could result in him stunting his development. He will play in a negative losing environment. There has never been a situation where a player played too long in the AHL and it hurt his development. There are countless examples of players playing in the NHL too early.

The other option is he plays in the AHL in a top 6 roll on what is likely a good team easing him into the pro game doing 0 damage to his confidence or development. He might even get some playoff experience and go on a run. I just see no downside.

On top of that pushing a Tierney, Anisimov or Pageau into a top 6 role could inflate their numbers and could result in a nice asset being returned for one or more of them if they decide to trade the player(s). At that point its likley close to the end of the season then they can bring up Brown to see what he can do then send him back for the playoffs.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I dissagree about not seeing the value of him playing in the AHL. You're right next season is meaningless, why put him in such a difficult position on a bad team. He needs to play top 6 minutes so he is going to get the other teams best players and top defensive matchups before he has proven he is ready for them, it could result in him stunting his development. He will play in a negative losing environment. There has never been a situation where a player played too long in the AHL and it hurt his development. There are countless examples of players playing in the NHL too early.

The other option is he plays in the AHL in a top 6 roll on what is likely a good team easing him into the pro game doing 0 damage to his confidence or development. He might even get some playoff experience and go on a run. I just see no downside.

On top of that pushing a Tierney, Anisimov or Pageau into a top 6 role could inflate their numbers and could result in a nice asset being returned for one or more of them if they decide to trade the player(s). At that point its likley close to the end of the season then they can bring up Brown to see what he can do then send him back for the playoffs.
Brown has already played a season in the AHL. The lessons available have already been had for the most part.

He can learn on the job in the NHL and most importantly from Logan’s point of view can earn an NHL pay check.

I can see your point about Tierney or Pageau increased value in a top 6 role, but that can still be accomplished with Brown in the NHL.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Brown has already played a season in the AHL.

He can learn on the job in the NHL and most importantly from Logan’s point of view can earn an NHL pay check.

I can see your point about Tierney or Pageau increased value in a top 6 role, but that can still be accomplished with Brown in the NHL.

Brown can stay down and help win us a Calder Cup.

It is the best plan. Winning is great for the team and also he can build his leadership skills down there.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->