Player Discussion Logan Brown

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by thesensguy, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larionov

Larionov Registered User

It's worth noting that other than Charlie McAvoy, there is no one drafted after Brown in that first round who has done much of note. Having said that, it is fish or cut bait time for Brown. He's 21 now, so he's no longer a kid. He has had a full season of pro hockey and lots of time to develop. If he can't go into camp, turn some heads and make a significant claim for a job on the 31st overall team in the league, then he has officially gone from prospect to suspect.

2. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

I'd be a bit surprised to see him there all year given the depth we have at center. I suppose there is a pretty good chance one of White, Tierney, Pageau or Anisimov plays wing to start the year, but Brown will really have to prove he is clearly one of the top 3 centers to make that a permanent thing. I just don't see us keeping him up to play 4th line center with some combination of Ennis, Boedker and some prospect as his wingers.

Brown has the talent though, I've been pretty high on him since his draft year. Still don't understand moving up one pick to grab him (I guess Jersey maybe had another offer for that pick we were blocking?), but I won't complain about the player.

derriko likes this.
  3. Tnuoc Alucard

Tnuoc Alucard There's more than 1 side to any story or issue.

He's played a grand total of 54 games in the AHL, and that is not a "full season of pro hockey" as he was returning from injury. There is no need to rush him, put pressure on him or Lazar him ......... let him come to camp, and see what happens. If he's returned to the AHL, it's for the best, if not then let's see how he fares. He's under contract for the next two seasons, and he's not going to make of break whatever team goals the Senators have set for themselves, fro this season.

And as @Micklebot says, there is a lot of depth at the Center position, and if Brown is better served, in the long run, playing 20 -22 mins per night, then Belleville is right there for him to do just that.

Cosmix likes this.
  4. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

This has to be one of the laziest tropes on these boards and needs to go away...

First off, to "Lazar him" implies that Lazar was a great prospect ruined by how he was handled rather than just not being a good enough prospect. It's never a hypothesis that's backed up by any sort of actual data or other support, just a lazy assumption made to fear monger.

Second, even if we do assume that Lazar would have been better had the org not mishandled him, it's often (as in this case) done in situations that offer no parallel in handling.

Lazar cracked the Sens roster full time in 2014-15. He was 19 years old to start that year and had zero pro experience, not getting his first game in the AHL till two years later, and only ever playing 13 games in that league before being traded to Calgary.

On the flip side, Brown is already 21 years old, and has 56 games in Belleville, along with 6 NHL games where he got a taste of what it's like to play and practice with an NHL squad. We can't Lazar Brown, whatever the hell that means anyways, because he's already been handled completely differently. He's already shown to be a dominant player at times in the AHL (something Lazar never did) and while he certainly wouldn't be hurt by playing in the AHL he's already proven quite a lot at that level.

5. Sweatred

Sweatred Registered User

I think we all respect the “if” element wether Brown shows he is ready or not ... but I think the Lazar risk has passed. Didn’t Lazar play with the Sens in D+1... Brown is D+4. Four years post draft is probably more developmental time even the most passive would have wanted for Lazar - maybe D+3?

6. JD1

JD1 Registered User

If he's returned to the AHL and spends any significant time there it may be the best for him but I'd be concerned about what is best for the team. He is an upper end first rounder. He should be playing in the nhl this year if he spends another full year in the ahl....I agree with @Larionov that he is moving from prospect to suspect.

What is best for the team is he comes to camp and forces them to keep him

7. Caesar Rex

Caesar Rex Et tu, Dorion

even worst case for brown hes going to be an nhler.

hes 6 ft 6, insane edges for that size, pretty good top speed. Incredible reach and actually uses it. Tier A vision and passing. a shot that is a laser beam. Only thing he needs to "engage" more but put him with Tkachuk and I think that would get sorted out right quick.

its really his consistency and injury issues which could hold him back from being a top line c because he has everything else.

NB613 and InTkachukWeTrust like this.
  8. Sensinitis

Sensinitis Registered User

I see lots of Johansen in him. Lots of similarities even down to the intensity quips. I think that’s a good comparable for him. He’s a better passer and has a better shot imo.

9. Sweatred

Sweatred Registered User

Spezzalite ?

10. Cosmix

Cosmix Registered User

Brown has never produced offence like Spezza did, so I don’t see Brown becoming a top line Center for a SC contending team; however, I think he could become a good second line Center.

The Senators still need a first line Center so I hope we tank this coming season and win the lottery to draft a top line Center. That would accelerate the rebuild and, coupled with another 2 or 3 top 5 picks in the next 3 or 4 drafts (2021 to 2024) the Senators could turn into a SC contending team in 5 or 6 years, perhaps sooner if we are really fortunate and Melnyk spends to the Cap to retain the top talent including Chabot, Tkachuk and whoever else develops into a top player.

11. ThePriorityDeal

ThePriorityDeal Old School Rat Rink

Lots of players who develop into 1C never produced offence like Spezza did. It's hard to determine Brown's potential because of all the injuries he's had.

Cosmix likes this.
  12. Sweatred

Sweatred Registered User

Hence the “lite” reference. Tall Center with good vision, pass first mentality, decent speed/edge work who can score a few along the way.

Cosmix likes this.
  13. InTkachukWeTrust

InTkachukWeTrust Registered User

I think he’s going to surprise people this year.

14. DJB

DJB #MELNYKOUT

Surprise people in terms of what?

15. MelnykOut

MelnykOut Registered User

I mean I personally wouldn't be shocked if he was the best centre on the team by the end of the year. Not an expectation but he has the potential to do it and I think Smith will give him his chances.

16. Billy Bridges

Billy Bridges Registered User

Saunders farm level of surprise.

17. Sens

Sens Registered User

I think he has Kevin Hayes upside... maybe a little more offensively cause Hayes has not played much on the power play and Brown looks like he could be a force around the left dot

18. JD1

JD1 Registered User

Presuming we get a top pick in 2020, as in top 3, I think there is already too much in the system for us to spend 2 or 3 more years in the league's basement

19. Sweatred

Sweatred Registered User

Assuming PD can pull of that #2019tank - The 2020 power play/top two lines should start to show some elite talent that many think we are missing. A 5 man unit of ..

Chabot, Brannstrom, LAF/BY, Brown, Tkatchuk feels like a typical playoff top unit. We should have Batherson, Norris, Duclair, Thompson, JBD, SJ 2020 to mix in or spread out over 2 lines.

EDIT - Guess I should add White.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  20. Icelevel

Icelevel -+-+-*-+-*-+-=???

Brown has potential to be a point per game nhl player or close to it. That’s good for “spezza lite” title

Sweatred likes this.
  21. Sensung

Sensung Registered User

Great post.

Brown needs to play in the NHL all season.

Sweatred likes this.
  22. Sweatred

Sweatred Registered User

A full season of Brown in the NHL will give the Sens a little more info on their drafting needs if they end up with a Laf/By dilemma.

It also influences their trade position with Pageau, and Tierney.

Worst case scenerio is Brown is decent in camp, Sens go passive and he gets injured in Belleville.

23. Cosmix

Cosmix Registered User

PPG would be Spezza level, not Spezza-lite.

I don’t see Brown ever being PPG.

24. danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson why you zaitsev to be mad its only a trade

not a schmohawk
    I have a feeling he will be used as a trade chip eventually.

Dorion has talked about not taking skill without commitment/compete. Hasn't the book on Brown always been boom/bust because he fits that highly skilled but inconsistently competitive archetype?

He has a very intriguing skillset. He will probably be the most interesting prospect to watch this year because be is far from a sure thing but has such an interesting ceiling.

25. Crosside

Crosside Registered User

I m agree to put Brown in trade. I was never be high on him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.