Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Where Brown starts next year will be dictated by his summer. He needs to have a huge, hard-working training summer. Hopefully his dad is in his year and pushes him. He seems to lack some of that drive/desire that other players demonstrate.

If this organization did everything in their power to start and keep Thomas Chabot in the AHL until they had no choice, the will do the same with Brown. We will hear a bunch of nonsense about "core strength" and "development", blah, blah, blah, but I have no doubt that he will probably be one of the best 6 forwards at camp.

Reactions: jehkob

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
If this organization did everything in their power to start and keep Thomas Chabot in the AHL until they had no choice, the will do the same with Brown. We will hear a bunch of nonsense about "core strength" and "development", blah, blah, blah, but I have no doubt that he will probably be one of the best 6 forwards at camp.

Unless he shits the bed in camp, he will get his 9 games to start the season.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Where Brown starts next year will be dictated by his summer. He needs to have a huge, hard-working training summer. Hopefully his dad is in his year and pushes him. He seems to lack some of that drive/desire that other players demonstrate.

Just curious why you feel he lacks desire and drive?

I know he isn't a player with quick, choppy strides out there but I haven't heard (or don't remember hearing) that he isn't dedicated to off ice improvement. I know he wasn't allowed to lift weights until last Summer or something but other than that I haven't heard anything negative about his work ethic.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
With Brown, I think the biggest limiting factors for him are injuries and physical strength. While he isn't a physical player, he does need to be strong enough to handle being hit by men in the NHL on a regular basis. Last thing we need is the kid getting hurt and losing development time.

The AHL isn't some junior league. It's full of fully grown men who hit just as hard. I don't think we should pretend that Brown needs to play in the AHL to avoid NHL hits. He needs to play in the AHL to develop everything about his game at the pro level. The physicality in the AHL is just as fierce as the NHL.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Just curious why you feel he lacks desire and drive?

I know he isn't a player with quick, choppy strides out there but I haven't heard (or don't remember hearing) that he isn't dedicated to off ice improvement. I know he wasn't allowed to lift weights until last Summer or something but other than that I haven't heard anything negative about his work ethic.
It's basically the one major knock against him isn't it? I feel like I've read this over and over. People question his work ethic on the ice? If it lacks on the ice, it would most certainly lack off of it too.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You are correct, totally skipped my mind. What's the other limit again? 40 games until he loses a year towards UFA years and/or arbitration?

I think that applied to junior aged players as well.. If they play 40 games , the year counts towards the 7 years required to get to UFA.
I think with Brown ... assuming he plays AHL or NHL the clock starts

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's basically the one major knock against him isn't it? I feel like I've read this over and over. People question his work ethic on the ice? If it lacks on the ice, it would most certainly lack off of it too.

Ya but I think a lot of people give big, rangy players that knock because they don't seem like they are trying as much as the, "energy" players.

He also isn't a physical player (which always bothers me about any large player) and that ends up being translated as they lack desire and intensity.

He wouldn't be the first extremely gifted junior player to be a little lackadaisical on the ice but that doesn't mean he doesn't have work ethic.

Reactions: topshelf15

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

If it was not for the number of injuries on the Sens D corp, Chabot would have played a lot longer in the AHL, than most people here would have liked ........ so yes they were forced to bring him up, not because he was ready, or proved he did not belong in the AHL, he was brought up to fill in for missing D men.

Brown did not have the same option as Chabot did last season, and this coming season he can be sent to the AHL, and if he does not outright win a starting job out of training camp........ the AHL will be the best option for him, playing with men AKA players his own size.

Right now he's the big fish in the OHL pond, and playing with the same sized fish in the AHL pond, would not be a bad thing for him or the team in the long run.

No more Lazaring prospects.

Reactions: Cosmix

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ya but I think a lot of people give big, rangy players that knock because they don't seem like they are trying as much as the, "energy" players.

He also isn't a physical player (which always bothers me about any large player) and that ends up being translated as they lack desire and intensity.

He wouldn't be the first extremely gifted junior player to be a little lackadaisical on the ice but that doesn't mean he doesn't have work ethic.
Me too,you just know the guys in the NHL are going to come at him hard with that size...He needs to develop a little grit,so that he can actually use that huge frame effectively at the NHL level

Reactions: Cosmix

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
So are we still worried about Brown being a boom-bust player or has he taken steps this year to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy about him?

I don't think we should hope that he becomes much more gritty. If he develops his strength to push back against a strong forecheck and use his size and reach to keep the puck away, then that's fine with me. I don't need him crashing and banging.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

i think the myth of the myth has become a myth. people can see if a big rangy player is trying. i get the logic but i think its overblown.

Reactions: derriko and DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Very excited for his upcoming year.
Will take pressure off white and chlappy. Or be healthy competition.
Our forward group has some sweet potential.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
I think it's pretty apparent that they've slotted Brown into their day 1 lineup. It's either him or Chlapik b.c I think White already earned his spot at the end of last year but they still have a hole down the middle of the centre depth chart. I don't think he benefits much from playing in Belleville rather than just jumping into the NHL at this point.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think it's pretty apparent that they've slotted Brown into their day 1 lineup. It's either him or Chlapik b.c I think White already earned his spot at the end of last year but they still have a hole down the middle of the centre depth chart. I don't think he benefits much from playing in Belleville rather than just jumping into the NHL at this point.

It depends on where he plays.

Traditionally, Ottawa would introduce rookies into the bottom six. With Boucher and his veteran grinders, and his famous "the NHL is not a developmental league" statement, it was not an option. With Burrows gone, I wonder if there's space.

Personally, I think there's value in learning the game in the bottom six. I know some would disagree, preferring high potential players to get more priority icetime and responsibility in the AHL.

But I think it re-affirms the idea that defense is an important aspect of the game and everyone has to pull their weight, regardless of their draft position and offensive skillset.

Reactions: derriko

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Dude's best asset is his vision and hockey sense, I don't think it will benefit him much from playing in the AHL when most of the forwards will be in the wrong positions and don't know where to go in the ice. He already has NHL body and skill, already thinks the game at a high level, and the skating could be improved as he's doing in the summer.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

It's not out of the question that all 3 can make it and get top 9 minutes, this forward group is very thin. Praying they show up at camp to play, if not there is a realistic chance that 2 or 3 of:

MPS
Gaborik
Smith
Pyatt
Carey

Could be getting top 9 minutes wooooooof

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I still tend to think of him as "Dylan Strome lite" and as such would expect he spends a good amount of time in the AHL this year.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Without knowing exactly how many forwards with many NHL games under their belt, Ottawa will have on opening day..........with lots of things that could happen between now and then, any rookie would be well served by spending time in the AHL, if they're not required to play at the NHL level due to a lack of experienced NHL forwards.

Right now I count 10 NHL forwards on the Senators roster, not including White, Carey or McCormick.

Therefore based on today's roster, Brown should spend as much time as needed in the AHL, and then brought up when ready to play in the bottom 6, and ascend the line up from there.

Now if he comes to camp, and wins a NHL job, that's good for him and the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->