Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lol if the dude was able to get games this season then a year older he is definitely gonna start with the team. Especially if the team decides to get rid of Brassard. That's a huge hole at the Top 6, and he will thrive in that spot. Enough of this Lazar bull**** argument, he sucked because he didn't have any skills or hockey sense to develop in the first place, not because he didn't play 50 games in the AHL.
Yeah, not like the exact same situation never just transpired with Chabot, after losing Methot.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Total of ZERO goals now in his 15 game OHL playoff career?!?..hmm...that ain’t exactly bringing it when it matters.

Reactions: Cosmix

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Would like to start Brown in the AHL for some games to get him prepped for playing against men. And making the playoffs is a tough race, so our chances would increase greatly by signing another center and not rushing Brown.

Reactions: topshelf15

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Would like to start Brown in the AHL for some games to get him prepped for playing against men. And making the playoffs is a tough race, so our chances would increase greatly by signing another center and not rushing Brown.
Brown looked almost ready last year. really impressive camp and preseason and first nhl game.

I guess it depends on what he shows at camp this year

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
based on his draft year and slot.....i think it is a pretty reasonable expectation that brown spends the majority of next year in the show

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
With Brown, I think the biggest limiting factors for him are injuries and physical strength. While he isn't a physical player, he does need to be strong enough to handle being hit by men in the NHL on a regular basis. Last thing we need is the kid getting hurt and losing development time.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With Brown, I think the biggest limiting factors for him are injuries and physical strength. While he isn't a physical player, he does need to be strong enough to handle being hit by men in the NHL on a regular basis. Last thing we need is the kid getting hurt and losing development time.
Could say the same for all the young guys playing at 18,19,20

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
I'd personally have Brown in the AHL until December, but I suspect he will be with the big club.

He needs to learn to use his size at the pro level efficiently, he won't get away with what he is doing in junior right now against NHLers, and he has yet to even grow into his body.

I know you seem to have a knack for evaluating our prospects...I'm curious as to where you think Brown is in his development and who could you see him comparing to that's in the NHL now...I keep reading kinda mixed reviews on this kid on the boards...everything from the next possible Matthews to still a potential bust...

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
I'd personally have Brown in the AHL until December, but I suspect he will be with the big club.

He needs to learn to use his size at the pro level efficiently, he won't get away with what he is doing in junior right now against NHLers, and he has yet to even grow into his body.
I'd be okay with him getting a month or two in the AHL to adjust to the pro game but ultimately it will depend on his training camp IMO. If he looks great in camp I doubt he goes down considering the hole we have at center. Contracts could be a factor too so I guess we'll also have to wait and see if the team is serious about rebuilding and giving the young guys a chance to play their way onto the team.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If he doesn't work out as a top 6 C we could be in trouble.

Optimistic and excited for him next year though.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If White can handle being at C I say let Brown spend the whole year in the AHL.

He still has a lot to work on since he's mostly relied on natural talent so far.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If White can handle being at C I say let Brown spend the whole year in the AHL.

He still has a lot to work on since he's mostly relied on natural talent so far.

No issues with starting him in the AHL, but you bring him up when he shows he's ready, don't plan on the whole year, or by Dec, just let him progress, and once he`s at the point where he can handle a top 9 role, he should be up imo.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Ya this whole idea of set time frames in the A or not is a little confusing to me...of course in the ideal world our team is so good the young guys have to step in and be 50 point players before they can get a sniff but the reality is each kid needs to be taken on their own merit.

If Brown is good enough out of camp to be an impact player then he stays up - if not send him down until he can have an impact...same with Batherson, Wolanin, etc...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I agree, not unlike Spezza who dominated the AHL and was able to translate that in the NHL. he has all the tools, maybe just not in the right order.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I agree, not unlike Spezza who dominated the AHL and was able to translate that in the NHL. he has all the tools, maybe just not in the right order.
Well Spezza was only because of the lockout, he was in the NHL at 20 and had his exceptional status year tacked on to allow him to spend time in the AHL at the same time as a 19 year old.

I'm fine with whatever they choose, I just think he should learn to use his extraordinary body at the pro level.

There aren't many guys his size, he should learn how to utilise that to it's highest potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Well Spezza was only because of the lockout, he was in the NHL at 20 and had his exceptional status year tacked on to allow him to spend time in the AHL at the same time as a 19 year old.

I'm fine with whatever they choose, I just think he should learn to use his extraordinary body at the pro level.

There aren't many guys his size, he should learn how to utilise that to it's highest potential.

If memory serves, did he not get shuffled quite a bit his first season? I remember talk radio was losing their mind with Jacques Martin over it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If memory serves, did he not get shuffled quite a bit his first season? I remember talk radio was losing their mind with Jacques Martin over it.
Yeah, his first season was as a 19 year old (this season for Brown) where he basically split the year between the NHL and AHL. Where he was in the OHL as an exceptional status player at 15, he completed his required 4 years in the CHL to allow him to play in the AHL as a 19 year old, something that maybe 1/5000 CHL players are able to do. . At the age of 20 he put up 55 points after playing a full season in the NHL, and at 21 he won MVP in the AHL after playing there all season during the lockout.

Lot's of unconventional aspects in Spezza's case of spending any time in the AHL.

Reactions: coladin

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Where Brown starts next year will be dictated by his summer. He needs to have a huge, hard-working training summer. Hopefully his dad is in his year and pushes him. He seems to lack some of that drive/desire that other players demonstrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->