Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah, if anything that would simply have held him back. The kid should be working out. It will actually help prevent injuries, especially bulking up around joints.

The body only has so much protein (intake limit from diet) available to grow organ tissue, muscles, heal, supply the immune system, etc, etc. If you put a muscle-growth load on your body, it definitely does compromise the others. You'd have to have an extremely protein-rich diet to supply muscle growth and normal tissue regeneration and immune system function while going through a growth spurt.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If he shows like he did this preseason and his few regular season games I think he is a lock to make the team.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hard not to get excited thinking about this big kid.

He's a lock to be a center here, but then you have White/Chlapik/Batherson all centers coming up. Who's converted to the wing?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If he shows like he did this preseason and his few regular season games I think he is a lock to make the team.
He's our best top 6 prospect at this point. Give him some time on the top 6 and the pp and he will produce points better than any other forward prospect we have

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Let him figure out the AHL next season and get some NHL experience along the way.

Then in 19-20 he should be ready, which coincides with Brassard's deal expiring.
I don't see why every propsect has to go to the AHL. he spent 4 game here this season figuring out the NHL and looked good in a limited role with anchors tied to either side of him.

He definitely needs some seasoning in the AHL
why do you say that?

I expect Brown to spend little time in the AHL. Just long enough to get used to the speed of the pro game.

I am not sure how well his game/vision translates to the AHL honestly. He seems like the kind of player that benefits from highly-structured plays and gameplans.
I think he learned the speed of the NHL game during his 4 game stint here. He's showing elite vision and talent this season in the OHL & should be a lock for our team next season. Hopefully we ship out Brassard for a nice return so he can slot into our top 6 right away with other skilled players.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah I'm not sure brown needs ahl time so badly. Normally I'm strongly against a player skipping it but with brown I'd be ok with him getting 0-20 games
I'm not sure what he'd gain from it really. A few games and up.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
You need to earn thw right to play in the NHL and do so confidently. Far too often this management has pushed a young high end pick to the NHL when they weren't ready. Cowen, Ceci, Zib, Lazar etc. I have nothing wrong with the Sens giving prospects a shot at the NHL but they need to be ready. Time in the AHL allows young guys to learn the NHL game, develop them, let them make mistakes and play big minutes all of which boosts their confidence so they are ready for the NHL.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
^agree. Just that in Logan's case specifically I don't see the real long term benefit over learning in the NHL. Like I say, a few games may be all he needs to get up to speed or training and practicing with Ottawa could do that for him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
how so?

neither of these two have earned a roster spot. I also don't think either of them are as highly touted as Brown is.
Brown needs to become accustomed to the pro game and pro lifestyle. He has an immense skillset, he should learn how to properly use that in a pro game.

He's no Chabot in terms of where they were, Brown is 6-6 and still isn't grown into his body. He should spend time in the AHL where he can develop his skills and learn the pro game. Chabot was ready for the NHL, and will learn from playing time. He had the skills, and the pro game already. Brown is in a situation like White, except instead of developing his skills in the AHL like White, he would be developing his game to a pro level. Give him 20-40 games in the AHL to adjust to the bigger men, let him understand what can and can't be done in the pros that he could do with ease in junior.

He's an NHL player in regards to talent, but he is the type of prospect that would benefit from seasoning in the minors.

You need to earn thw right to play in the NHL and do so confidently. Far too often this management has pushed a young high end pick to the NHL when they weren't ready. Cowen, Ceci, Zib, Lazar etc. I have nothing wrong with the Sens giving prospects a shot at the NHL but they need to be ready. Time in the AHL allows young guys to learn the NHL game, develop them, let them make mistakes and play big minutes all of which boosts their confidence so they are ready for the NHL.

Cowen - Negative Hockey Sense
Ceci - Minimal Hockey Sense
Lazar - Negative Hockey Sense
Zib - Average/Questionable Hockey Sense

These guys were not rushed, they just would not have benefited from the AHL that guys like Chlapik/Brown/Batherson/Jaros/White would. They all understand the game, and all have skillsets that can be developed and adjusted to the pro game. Lazar would have been the exact same. He just didn't have the brain to know what to do with the puck. He is all hustle and all heart, which he showed everywhere he played. Difference is that in the NHL 95% of the players have good hockey sense, and they can't be pushed around like the kids in junior could.

The one thing the AHL will not help you develop is hockey sense. You either have it or you don't. Luckily, Brown has that in spades. He would be down there to develop his skillset and pro game in a professional atmosphere.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The body only has so much protein (intake limit from diet) available to grow organ tissue, muscles, heal, supply the immune system, etc, etc. If you put a muscle-growth load on your body, it definitely does compromise the others. You'd have to have an extremely protein-rich diet to supply muscle growth and normal tissue regeneration and immune system function while going through a growth spurt.
Not going to debate this but please stop posting nonsense. Or conversely, point to one actual peer reviewed study that backs up your claim. It just simply isn’t true.
You most certainly can and actually should lift weights as a teenager. It won’t stunt your growth.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Brown’s pretty weak in my viewings. Tage Thompson is the same size but weighs 185 pounds and looks stronger.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Brown will not start with the team in the NHL. It's just not how we do things. Chalapik and White 100% will have roster spots next year. This year is their audition, next year is Browns and Formenton. Brown/Form will have full roster spots by 2019-20.

That's the way the org does things now. Book it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brown will not start with the team in the NHL. It's just not how we do things. Chalapik and White 100% will have roster spots next year. This year is their audition, next year is Browns and Formenton. Brown/Form will have full roster spots by 2019-20.

Aside from the fact Formenton can't play in the AHL.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009

Brown will be added to the Ottawa lineup as soon as he's needed. He's as ready as anyone we have. Book it.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brown will be added to the Ottawa lineup as soon as he's needed. He's as ready as anyone we have. Book it.
We just sent Chabot to start in the AHL with Oduya/Claesson/Wideman/Boro on the roster.

Brown will have Duchene/Brassard/Pageau/Thompson. Not happening.

If we send the better, more ready prospect down with those guys up, there is zero chance Brown starts here with 4 legit NHL centres on the roster under contract.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Don't play our prospects until they are our legit best option for a regular shift. You wanna be in the world's best league? You gotta be better than whats on the wire and at least a couple guys on the roster. Prove you can do it for 6-12 months consistently in the A. Kick down the door and stick. None of this cup of coffee shit. That 13th forward spot should be for guys playing their last games in the NHL, not their first.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well in any case, it is indeed true that has Dad had him intentionally not do weight training. Makes me excited for when he hits man-strength.

Get rid of the beanpole look pronto.

But what does this do to his skating? There has to be quite a difference working on skating skills between a kid who gradually adds strength in his mid-teen years vs. a kid who never hit the weights and suddenly starts putting on muscle at 18+.

Edit: I think we do need to put Brown in the AHL for a season. Even though he is big, he doesn't have much strength, so he is at higher risk than average of getting injured playing against men. Giving him a year in the A to help the transition of playing against men will likely prevent issues down the road. Remember, we're already dealing with a kid who has quite an injury history.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
God, let the kid play in the NHL next year. Could he really be any worse or more frustrating to watch than Brassard? Let's get the future here in 18-19 - Chabot, White, Brown, Batherson, Jaros and maybe Formenton - and play the snot out of them. I'd rather lose watching those kids develop than watching @#$#ing Burrows, Thompson and Oduya.....

Reactions: Deku

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
We are back to black/white arguments.

If Brown is as good or better in the preseason/handful of games to start year next season as he was this season I think the Senators really need to consider letting him grow his game in Ottawa. He could have a huge off season of strength gains and add a bit more quickness so we can't discount his ability to force his way on to the team.

That said, he may well get sent down and I won't have an issue with it at all...except for the fact that Belleville is a joke and we don't seem to actually develop players right now, we simply carry them on the roster...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We are back to black/white arguments.

If Brown is as good or better in the preseason/handful of games to start year next season as he was this season I think the Senators really need to consider letting him grow his game in Ottawa. He could have a huge off season of strength gains and add a bit more quickness so we can't discount his ability to force his way on to the team.

That said, he may well get sent down and I won't have an issue with it at all...except for the fact that Belleville is a joke and we don't seem to actually develop players right now, we simply carry them on the roster...

I think next year Belleville should have more prospects to make the team better. As it stands right now there aren't enough prospects there but next year will be a different story.

He should start in the NHL next year!

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I wanted to think of Brown as kind of like Benn or Scheifele growing into that big power forward over their early twenties.

But the guy is too skilled a playmaker at this age already. He has top notch vision.

I just don't see this guy not making a huge impact for Ottawa over the years if he stays healthy (double negative). I just can't see it. He might flame out for some unforeseen reason as happens sometimes, but man if he doesn't he is the definition of big and skilled.

That decision to drop down in the draft, I don't know who it was but they took Mcleod and then I think McCavoy was taken. Dang, they might be reeling about that one in a couple of years.o_O

edit: It was home of the Boss, New Jersey. Imagine Hischier Brown down the middle there, Brown wouldn't even have to skate with all of the speed they already have.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Lol if the dude was able to get games this season then a year older he is definitely gonna start with the team. Especially if the team decides to get rid of Brassard. That's a huge hole at the Top 6, and he will thrive in that spot. Enough of this Lazar bullshit argument, he sucked because he didn't have any skills or hockey sense to develop in the first place, not because he didn't play 50 games in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad