Prospect Info: Logan Brown part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Actually Antropov is a very good comparison at this point. Big player with skill, but does not show enough intensity on the ice nor did he play a physical game for a player of that size.

Logan Brown is still young, but he is certainly trending that way too.

Reactions: Senator23 and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ya, it really is a bad article. Trading Brown when his value is at the lowest its ever been would be a huge mistake. At least give the guy a chance to improve his trade stock.
When there is absolutely no reason to do it either, the team has a giant gaping hole at center and they have spent this much time developing the asset. Just a moronic thought process.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ya, it really is a bad article. Trading Brown when his value is at the lowest its ever been would be a huge mistake. At least give the guy a chance to improve his trade stock.
Exactly, buying low is one thing, selling low is stupidity, especially after all the time & money invested into the player. Lots of time to get this guy into the fold, they just need some time & patience & could be a big pay off.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Compare what players like White and Dzingle did in the AHL to get their shot at multi million dollar pay days vs what Brown has done. Brown has achieved more and been given less. It may be the right thing but from his view you can see why he would think he’s been held back.

There's a lot more to just putting up points to deserve a call up. Hard working team players who battle and play well defensively too.

Maybe other Belleville guys knows Brown is a lazy POS (if those rumors are true). What motivation do they get from the franchise when they see a lazy bum who doesn't work hard but whines get his way?

No. The Sens are doing the right thing by rewarding those that work hard and play well.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There's a lot more to just putting up points to deserve a call up. Hard working team players who battle and play well defensively too.

Maybe other Belleville guys knows Brown is a lazy POS. What motivation do they get from the franchise when they see a lazy bum who doesn't work hard but whines get his way?

No. The Sens are doing the right thing by rewarding those that work hard and play well.

No point discussing maybes ... you don’t put up a point a game in the AHL without trying .

My point is it wasn’t like Dzingle’s AHL game was dominant ... it may be the right developmental move for Brown but when he looks around there is lots of evidence of guys getting an easier path.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
No point discussing maybes ... you don’t put up a point a game in the AHL without trying .

My point is it wasn’t like Dzingle’s AHL game was dominant ... it may be the right developmental move for Brown but when he looks around there is lots of evidence of guys getting an easier path.

So you think that the team gifted a player like Dzingel (7th round pick) and White (21st overall) spots but won't do it for Logan Brown (11th overall). Why would they do that? It's not based on pedigree. So I'm curious as to why the team decided that those two players should be gifted NHL spots but not Logan. Do you have an explanation?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So you think that the team gisfted a player like Dzingel (7th round pick) and White (21st overall) spots but won't do it for Logan Brown (11th overall). Why would they do that? It's not based on pedigree. So I'm curious as to why the team decided that those two players should be gifted NHL spots but not Logan. Do you have an explanation?

Ya - I think they rushed White and took a chance on Dzingle. Both of those players had ineffective initial stints in the NHL. The org gave Dzingle a chance to find his game at the NHL (and he did) while I don’t really think White has ever developed his.

In a true battle for 1C I expect the difference between White, Norris, and Brown to be really small. In a win at all cost, no guaranteed contacts, I doubt White wins that spot. Two of those guys make $90G a year and one makes $90G a day.

It’s easy if your the guy making $90G a day to tell everyone to work harder - but Brown and Norris have accomplished more than White/Dzingle, and lots of more than other players around the league have had too. The Sens are in “over ripe” territory. That may be fine, but we shouldn’t expect the players to love it.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Ya - I think they rushed White and took a chance on Dzingle. Both of those players had ineffective initial stints in the NHL. The org gave Dzingle a chance to find his game at the NHL (and he did) while I don’t really think White has ever developed his.

In a true battle for 1C I expect the difference between White, Norris, and Brown to be really small. In a win at all cost, no guaranteed contacts, I doubt White wins that spot. Two of those guys make $90G a year and one makes $90G a day.

It’s easy if your the guy making $90G a day to tell everyone to work harder - but Brown and Norris have accomplished more than White/Dzingle, and lots of more than other players around the league have had too. The Sens are in “over ripe” territory. That may be fine, but we shouldn’t expect the players to love it.

This did not answer the question at all.

Why were White and Dzingel given spots and Brown wasn't? Neither White nor Dzingel had expensive contracts when they were promoted full-time. Why then them and not Brown?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Between the rumours of his relationship with his dad (and the effect that its had on his development) and the unusual agent situation, he seems like a bit of a headcase. I think the potential return is diminished at this point, so the team might have to ride it out.

Not looking to spread unsubstantiated rumours but what are you referring to here? I know Jeff didn't want him to lift weights until he had matured but other than that haven't read anything about their relationship.

Trying to determine why believe there was something detrimental to Logan's development.

If I recall he got BIG last offseason...doesn't seem to have issues adding muscle, if anything he may have had the same issue as Batherson and gotten too bulky.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This did not answer the question at all.

Why were White and Dzingel given spots and Brown wasn't? Neither White nor Dzingel had expensive contracts when they were promoted full-time. Why then them and not Brown?

I answered your question . I think White was rushed (a mistake) and Dzingle was “given a shot”. If Dzingle/White were held to Brown’s level of required “ development” they probably don’t get a shot. Maybe it’s easier to hide Dzingle/White on the wing while there trying to figure it out ... but those guys play wasn’t any better than what Brown has demonstrated.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I answered your question . I think White was rushed (a mistake) and Dzingle was “given a shot”. If Dzingle/White were held to Brown’s level of required “ development” they probably don’t get a shot. Maybe it’s easier to hide Dzingle/White on the wing while there trying to figure it out ... but those guys play wasn’t any better than what Brown has demonstrated.

So you think that the team doesn't evaluate talent properly when setting their roster? That's fair enough to have that opinion.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So you think that the team doesn't evaluate talent properly when setting their roster? That's fair enough to have that opinion.

Yes I think they know they made a mistake with White (and Jaros, Lajoie etc)... and that’s part of the decision (org shift) to over ripen Brown, Norris, Form, Bath, etc.

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yes I think they know they made a mistake with White (and Jaros, Lajoie etc)... and that’s part of the decision (org shift) to over ripen Brown, Norris, Form, Bath, etc.

But if they made mistakes with White as you point out in every post surely they make their share of other mistakes right? Or are they mostly right?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
But if they made mistakes with White as you point out in every post surely they make their share of other mistakes right? Or are they mostly right?

Everyone makes mistakes - but I think the org thinks they can limit the White, Lajoie, Lazar type developments and get more Stone, Hoffman type developments by forcing a higher bar in prospects. Dzingle, Lazar, Lajoie, White were rushed into the NHL at <.6 PPG AHL type seasons ... a few years later Dzingle is okay (from his draft slot) and the others may be misses.

Stone was pushed to +1.0 PPG and we saw that requirement extended to Bath and Brown. Maybe it will result in less misses ?

Last edited:

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Darren Pang was on TSN1200 this morning and was asked about Logan Brown, as they are both from St. Louis and he has familiarity with Brown, his father, his agent and the situation here in Ottawa. He made reference to the lofty expectations that are placed on 1st round picks.
He made mention of another tall Centreman that he had played with in Chicago, Adam Creighton. Creighton was 6'5" and was also drafted 11th overall in the 1st round of the '83 draft. Expectations on Creighton were similar in that he never really looked like he was working hard on the ice. Pang said that is an unfair assumption to make on players like that.

Pang did go on to say that he thought it might be best for the player and the Senators to move him out. Said that this was based on his observations and not anything that he had heard. Then went on to say that he knows the former agent for Brown and Jeff Brown and that he golfed a number of times this summer with Brady Tkachuk. Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like Brown wants out of Ottawa.

Like most posters on here, I would really like to see Brown become a top line or second line Centre on this team. It is a huge need for the Sens, especially since (I think anyways) Stutzle is going to end up as a Winger. I would have to think that they will give Logan every opportunity this season to make the team and to play on a top line. There is no point in trying to turn him into a third or fourth line Centre, it's not his game and we have enough other guys coming up that can fill that role better. He has certainly shown flashes of being that top line guy but the injuries have really slowed his development. If he can't take the next step this season, I think you have to move on and try and get the best return possible. You would have to think there are a number of teams keeping an eye on the situation.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Darren Pang was on TSN1200 this morning and was asked about Logan Brown, as they are both from St. Louis and he has familiarity with Brown, his father, his agent and the situation here in Ottawa. He made reference to the lofty expectations that are placed on 1st round picks.
He made mention of another tall Centreman that he had played with in Chicago, Adam Creighton. Creighton was 6'5" and was also drafted 11th overall in the 1st round of the '83 draft. Expectations on Creighton were similar in that he never really looked like he was working hard on the ice. Pang said that is an unfair assumption to make on players like that.

Pang did go on to say that he thought it might be best for the player and the Senators to move him out. Said that this was based on his observations and not anything that he had heard. Then went on to say that he knows the former agent for Brown and Jeff Brown and that he golfed a number of times this summer with Brady Tkachuk. Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like Brown wants out of Ottawa.

Like most posters on here, I would really like to see Brown become a top line or second line Centre on this team. It is a huge need for the Sens, especially since (I think anyways) Stutzle is going to end up as a Winger. I would have to think that they will give Logan every opportunity this season to make the team and to play on a top line. There is no point in trying to turn him into a third or fourth line Centre, it's not his game and we have enough other guys coming up that can fill that role better. He has certainly shown flashes of being that top line guy but the injuries have really slowed his development. If he can't take the next step this season, I think you have to move on and try and get the best return possible. You would have to think there are a number of teams keeping an eye on the situation.

Agent hired to orchestra the trade ... Sens starting to acknowledge him as a prospect to boost his value. Hard to trade an after thought prospect ...

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Everyone makes mistakes - but I think the org thinks they can limit the White, Lajoie, Lazar type developments and get more Stone, Hoffman type developments by forcing a higher bar in prospects. Dzingle, Lazar, Lajoie, White were rushed into the NHL at <.6 PPG AHL type seasons ... a few years later Dzingle is okay (from his draft slot) and the others may be misses.

Stone was pushed to +1.0 PPG and we saw that requirement extended to Bath and Brown. Maybe it will result in less misses ?

So you're basically saying that in recent prospects (post 2015) they got it wrong with White and Lajoie (injuries derailed him but whatever). If we take into account your undeniable and incurable bias towards White we have them getting it wrong with one prospect who was a 5th rounder, has had a serious hip injury and is still only 22 years old playing D.

So they pretty much get it right across the board with their prospects. Which brings us back to Logan Brown. He has no leg to stand on when it comes to getting preferential treatment. Batherson and Norris have played better than he has and they haven't gotten significantly more opportunity than him. WHEN he plays well enough and plays up to the coaches' standards he'll get promoted.

This is basically just you using Brown's lack of NHL time as an excuse to say, for the 10000th time, that you think Colin White doesn't deserve to be on the team.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So you're basically saying that in recent prospects (post 2015) they got it wrong with White and Lajoie (injuries derailed him but whatever). If we take into account your undeniable and incurable bias towards White we have them getting it wrong with one prospect who was a 5th rounder, has had a serious hip injury and is still only 22 years old playing D.

So they pretty much get it right across the board with their prospects. Which brings us back to Logan Brown. He has no leg to stand on when it comes to getting preferential treatment. Batherson and Norris have played better than he has and they haven't gotten significantly more opportunity than him. WHEN he plays well enough and plays up to the coaches' standards he'll get promoted.

This is basically just you using an excuse to say, for the 10000th time, that you think Colin White doesn't deserve to be on the team.

Oops... my bad. You’re right - Lajoie was a 3rd round steal that should have played in the NHL at 20 (if not for his injury) and the Sens have been great at developing forwards recently -

Im sorry my eval on White hurts your feelings ... but he looks a lot close to my eval than a $5 million dollars player. Lots of pro exec’s have chimed in on the state of his game. Maybe he will take a developmental step, I sure hope he does. Enjoy your 1C, it will be a shame if we let (force) Brown out so we can protect what he have in White as our 1C. Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad