Prospect Info: Logan Brown (C) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t think there is anything wrong with Boedkering Tierney next year. Injuries will happen and he is a reliable 2-4C, 2-4LW and PK’r as needed.

Tierney is entering a contract year and I expect to see him come back from the offseason with a little more speed. I think Covid cost him a gear or two. He is young enough that with the right training he should find it again and could be worth a 2ND.

Our prospect cupboard starts to thin out soon and it would be nice to push some lottery tickets down the road.

I hope we win the lottery this year and get Power or Guenther. Its our turn to get a higher pick than where we finished.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
AZ hit me hard too. Worst flu syptoms ever within 10 hours. Now it's a week after, and my energy level is noticeably lower when I try to lift weights or run.

Sorry to hear that. I was fine for a few days after the shot in early April and then started to feel tired, got listless and a week ago was getting headaches. Feeling better now.

Reactions: aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He was better overall than I expected and most of the, "mistakes" I think are easily attributable to not playing and specifically not being exposed to the NHL pace.

He looked engaged all over except for 1 play on the PP when he sort of casually went back for a misplayed puck and Foligno stripped him - I was expecting DJ to sit him after that and was happy he kept him in a regular rotation.

Yes he dangled more than he should have but that will get out of his game as he learns what he can and can't do at the NHL level - skilled guys need to feel what they are capable of so I don't ever get on younger players for trying high skill plays unless they don't learn from it. It also depends where you make those plays.

His bobble off the (Jimmy?) pass was bad luck, I think he may have shot but looked like the puck just didn't settle on his stick...should have one-times it anyway but again, guy is pass first.

He really should have finished with an assist as that was a fantastic read on the PP set-up to Arty who missed a wide open net. He jumped up in the open ice, sold the shot and laid a perfect pass to Arty who straight up fired it over the open net.

Found it annoying listening to pre-game and during the game how it is basically a done deal the team will cut him loose because both sides want that. If he can have a good offseason and the team can give him a shot with a proper pre-season, etc...how can he not want to stay and play with buddies from USNDP?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
AZ hit me hard too. Worst flu syptoms ever within 10 hours. Now it's a week after, and my energy level is noticeably lower when I try to lift weights or run.

Tierney likely didn’t have a vaccine (especially AZ) pre game one.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He was better overall than I expected and most of the, "mistakes" I think are easily attributable to not playing and specifically not being exposed to the NHL pace.

He looked engaged all over except for 1 play on the PP when he sort of casually went back for a misplayed puck and Foligno stripped him - I was expecting DJ to sit him after that and was happy he kept him in a regular rotation.

Yes he dangled more than he should have but that will get out of his game as he learns what he can and can't do at the NHL level - skilled guys need to feel what they are capable of so I don't ever get on younger players for trying high skill plays unless they don't learn from it. It also depends where you make those plays.

His bobble off the (Jimmy?) pass was bad luck, I think he may have shot but looked like the puck just didn't settle on his stick...should have one-times it anyway but again, guy is pass first.

He really should have finished with an assist as that was a fantastic read on the PP set-up to Arty who missed a wide open net. He jumped up in the open ice, sold the shot and laid a perfect pass to Arty who straight up fired it over the open net.

Found it annoying listening to pre-game and during the game how it is basically a done deal the team will cut him loose because both sides want that. If he can have a good offseason and the team can give him a shot with a proper pre-season, etc...how can he not want to stay and play with buddies from USNDP?

His agent and his Dad certainly have added an extra level of emotional uncertainty and professional animosity with the team that has always been under the surface.

Certainly his agent and Dad have a sense of entitlement with Logan, or they did before he showed everyone last night he’s not an NHL ready player now and is maybe still another full year away.

I Want Logan to be here and be good - don’t see him fitting in with the team. This team is focused and ready and determined. Logan is none of this things and with all his baggage, it makes it harder for him to succeed in Ottawa

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Tierney likely didn’t have a vaccine (especially AZ) pre game one.

I assume the immunological response to a live, reproducing SARS-2 virus would be stronger than it is to the SARS-2 spike protein DNA embedded in an adenovirus. But I was commiserating with Cosmix, not saying Tierney had a vaccine.

Reactions: Sweatred

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm curious to see if Watson still measures up.

His competition when he was playing wasn't exactly scintillating.
Shot blocking aggressive PKer who fills in when one of the other 4 are unavailable.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'm curious to see if Watson still measures up.

His competition when he was playing wasn't exactly scintillating.

I think that question somewhat depends on whether they add another defenseman (and who they add) to push Brown to the ideal 7th D role. Watson is one of the few guys who can fill the face puncher role which DJ clearly values.

His willingness to lay it all on the line and throw himself in front of shots was also a good wake up call for some of the young guys I thought. Hopefully they note the heart and not the shot blocking technique.

Last edited:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Hence my question.

I'm wondering if he looked better comparatively speaking because of how crappy a lot of our players were at the time.
as i said...... Watson is a fine 4th liner. and if healthy would have been an asset on the team in the 2nd half of the season.

Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He showed more in the first period of his first game than Tierney showed all season.

Fed Anisimov with a gorgeous no-look pass that gave him an empty net to shoot at, which was promptly missed.

Could have used that kind of playmaking ability on the powerplay all year, but injuries got in the way.

Hope they give him another year and don't dump him in the offseason. Could pay off handsomely if he can finally stay healthy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
L. Brown is a frustrating guy, you can see him handle the puck & vision to spot guys threw players. He should have shot the puck when he had a clear shot on net last night, but it looked like the puck was bouncing & he was trying to settle it down. He still makes mistakes with & without the puck which one would hope would be taken out of his game by NHL teammates & coaches. He's not slow, but he also doesn't play with enough pace, he's got so much skill nothing would be better for the Sens than if this guy were to put it finally together, but who knows if he ever will. I would hate to give up on him but he is clearly running out of time & the org may already have made up their mind up with him especially the way a number of other young guys have performed this yr.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I hope Brown talks to Paul and learns from him. If he is thinking his ascent to the NHL is all on the org he won't ever make it.

If he has a strong off season I think he should get a good look next year even if only for the sake of making sure he gets showcased for the best possible return.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He would have bumped someone out. I suspect Dzingel by the end.

I guess we'll find out next year if he can still keep up.
He was fast, physical, fought, killed penalties, blocked shots and on pace for about 25 pts from the 4th line. Can play all three positions too.

Lots of tools in that toolbox that a coach likes to have available, I think he's in the lineup starting next year.

Reactions: guyzeur and Yak

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I don't think Logan will be a Senator. I think the Sens have moved past him. Just my opinion.
I know last night was only one game, but Parker Kelly was very noticeable and was hustling and working hard. Logan was not noticeable. I think he thinks he is entitled. Just a feeling I get. I could be wrong, but that's my take on Logan Brown.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
He showed some stickhandling and nice passing on the left side boards. He gave up possession at times because he would stickhandle himself into an area without an escape route or a plan to move the puck to a teammate.

Next year, I'll think of him the way that I thought of Galchenyuk this year. He'll get a cheap one-way contract, try to find a role for himself on an offensive line as a C or LW. Hopefully, it works out better.

Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We have to keep him, cannot simply let him go.
He tried to do too much last night a few times but I think it’s a little understandable given his year - but you can just see all the tools. He just needs to stay healthy, get NHL reps with confidence he’s going to be around IMO - I think the team is strong enough to mold Brown into their likeness.

Too much talent to just let him go somewhere else.

He has a ton of talent.

What he needs, to to get a fire under his butt. And I don't mean trying to do everything himself (I agree, int eh first period he was trying to be a highlight reel and didn't use his linemates well). He has to push the pace consistently, and only slow the game down to make plays when appropriate. It's a tricky balance to do, especially for a playmaker.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man, every single exit interview had guys talking about how hard they all worked, how much fun they all had, and how much they learned everyday. They talked about how they held each other accountable for their play on the ice, and how playing the right way, and buying into the team game was how they turned the season around.

That is what Brown has to fit into in order be a regular on this team.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
If Brown stays and pulls it together even under the best scenario people better be ready for some head bashing frustration with his play on many nights. You thought the fan polarization that Spezza's style caused was bad...

If he makes it he will without question be one of the bigger whipping boys in franchise history and as a fan it will be a very nauseating to experience. Not saying that isn't worth it but it's definitely a 'be careful what you wish for' scenario for those advocating so strongly in his favour.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Keep in mind,

1. He was most likely playing hurt. Unlikely he goes through all those injury issues including his back recently and was feeling anywhere near 100%

2. The injuries may not be his fault. Some speculate his training contributes but the guy is 6’6”. I’m guessing that could come with some extra aches and pain issues. He had a rough, frustrating year and could probably use some help and support.

3. 99% (?) of us here don’t know the guy, don’t know what he’s like or what he does to prepare for games.

I say help him through the off season. Get him back as close to 100% as possible to start the year and see what he can do.
He’ll be 23.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Anisimov struggles with NHL pace. But he's a smart player with good hands and good vision

Can Brown even play at Arti's pace?

Arti was a full time NHLer in his D+4 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->