Confirmed with Link: Logan Brown 1Y 750k

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This is a great deal for both sides.

Brown is currently on a 2 way deal that sees him earn just $100k in the AHL. Capfriendly estimates his current career earnings at $1.15M. That should creep up closer to $1.5M if he can stick on the NHL roster, but is still very modest by NHL standards. While this possibly leaves a couple hundred grand on the table if he sticks as a full-time NHL player, it offers major financial security by ensuring that he gets $750k next year no matter what. That's over 50% of his career earnings so far and goes a long way toward ensuring his financial future.

For the team, this gives us another year at league minimum against the cap. Next year is going to be a cap crunch and we need cheap depth. It doesn't get any cheaper than this. The only risk is that he isn't one of our 14 best forwards and then we potentially have to pay him his full $750k to play in the AHL. That is a pretty low-risk worst-case-scenario.

These types of moves aren't splashy, but it is a good one. This is a negotiation that should leave both parties happy. And the Sanford trade gets better. I wasn't wild about qualifying and signing Sanford because I thought that it would be a waste of cap space. Army then turned that in to (now 2 years of) a younger league minimum player with upside. Fantastic.

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
Very happy with this! I like what he has shown thus far and think he will push for ice time next year, especially if we lose a little offensive depth in trades. Hopefully he can continue to improve and find his game here and maybe become a permanent top 9 contributor the year after next.

Reactions: badmoth and mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Good deal for both Brown and the Blues.

I like it!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Next season he will be 24, so that's when it starts to really get down to crunch time for a player to show us what he's got. It will be a big year for him to prove he's a full-time NHL'er.

Even if he's not, he's a great depth piece to have as a healthy scratch or in the minors for that cheap of a price.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Over the short-term, Brown has proven me wrong that he doesn’t have what it takes.

Hope he can continue his good play.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
well done Army. Great cap management, if nothing else. Brown has at least proven capable of being a top-9 fill-in. More so than Kostin at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad