Lockout!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Penkil2m said:
If the lockout happens where does that leave the 2005 draft?

I will write the same post as I wrote on another post about this subject:
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

There was a debate few weeks ago about that issue on RDS (With Jacque Demers..). And they said that even the NHL DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPENS..

So, we can think and write that we want, nobody really know.

---------
Here my suggestion.

You put the 30 NHL team in the bag... and you choose the order by a lottery. (With the 30 team, not only the non-playoffs teams)

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Thats kind of unfair, what happens if Vancouver wins it, drafts crosby, they stick him with Naslund/Bertuzzi, and instantly there that much better...unfair!

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Fedz said:
Thats kind of unfair, what happens if Vancouver wins it, drafts crosby, they stick him with Naslund/Bertuzzi, and instantly there that much better...unfair!

i have a feeling it will be weighted based on 2004 finishings. So anyone finishing close to last in 2004 (yes, you, blackhawks) will get 2 years worths of good picks

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Fedz said:

it's not unfair at all.... IMHO

The caps were pretty pretty good before Jagr joined the caps... In one year, the caps pass from one of the better team, to one of the last one...

But maybe, I have another idea...

Add all points a team gots since the last 5 years.

2003-04 count for 60% and 10% for each previous year...

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Fedz said:

It's also unfair to see a team draft both crosby and ovechkin...

Les Zarbites

I say there's no draft in 2005. They play the 05-06 season and they put the players eligible for the 05 draft with the ones eligible for the 06 one and hold a 18 rounds draft in 06.

I think it would be fair that way. It would suck for the players eligible in 05 but eh ...

Anyway I just don't see a lockout lasting a whole year.

sluggo*

All the players that would were eligable for the 2005 draft become UFA's and any team can sign them.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
sluggo said:
All the players that would were eligable for the 2005 draft become UFA's and any team can sign them.

GREAT... CROSBY IS A HABS FAN

Q fans love Crosby...

Crosby is a habs.. End of debate.. Sorry guys... We got him... It's unfortunate for you but.... it's the live... :joker:

Munchausen

Reveille said:
I say do it random lottery if they do it at all. Either that or move the draft back a year and double the rounds.

I'd rather see a lottery between the non-playoff teams from this year (at the very most) or that other option: cancel the 2005 draft all together and make a bigger draft in 2006 (I like this idea better), which would guarentee a top-15 player (in theory) for every team, while still giving the edge to the teams that need it most.

I would just hate to see Colorado, Detroit, Vancouver, Dallas and the likes handed a 1st overall pick, especially considering Crosby's importance here, without having to justify it by team need (in other words, a team that struggles to win games). That would just be non-sense and would still deteriorate the credibility of a league that doesn't hold much already.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Here is a theory I heard floated around modified a bit by myself:

Word I've been hearing is a straight up lottery with every team having an equal chance.

Would that be smart? Not sure but is there a fairer way to do it? He (meaning Crosby) could end up with Colorado, Detroit or another power house.

One way to maybe make it work is this:

If you have a pick in the top 10, you have no 2nd rounder, 11-20, no 3rd rounder, 21-30, no 4th rounder.

And in the 2nd round, 3rd and 4th rounds the order is reversed from the 1st round.

For example:
Boston has the 1st pick. They would lose their 2nd and pick last in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Anaheim has the 30th pick. They would lose their 4th but pick 1st in the 2nd, and 3rd rounds, and lose their 4th rounder.

This would give Boston Sidney Crosby and then they wouldn't pick until like 120th but it'd be worth it for them more than likely. Quality over quantity if the pitch for this proposal.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Foppa_Rules said:
Well what happens to the players drafted in 2004? A lockout would destroy their rookie year, if the got to play at all.

This year was a little different as far as kid's stepping right into the NHL.

The Russian will stay over there... Other kids stay in juniors, etc.

I heard a rumor (doubt its true) the AHL might allow 1 under-20 player provided it was a 1st round draft pick if there is a lock out BUT again I doubt that's true.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
SpezNc said:
But maybe, I have another idea...

Add all points a team gots since the last 5 years.

2003-04 count for 60% and 10% for each previous year...

I like this suggestion, I think it's the fairest solution I've read.

SpezNc said:
GREAT... CROSBY IS A HABS FAN

Q fans love Crosby...

Crosby is a habs.. End of debate.. Sorry guys... We got him... It's unfortunate for you but.... it's the live... :joker:

i like this one more though :joker: :joker:

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Here's to the Islanders drafting Sidney Crosby no. 1 overall and us having Nilsson-Yashin-Crosby ;\

* We "Longguyland" fans can dream too
* Notes only island folk say "longguyland"

SedinFan*

Fedz said:

How is that unfair? :D

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Why not just switch the draft age from 18 to 19? That way everyone who should have been drafted in 2005 won't be eligible until 2006. This also resolves several other problems:
1) Teams are more sure of who they're drafting because the players are one year older.
2) US college players don't have to opt out of the draft when they're 18 in order to maintain their college eligibility. This means that everyone is on the same level age-wise at draft time.
3) No one would have to bother figuring out how to set the 2005 draft order because there wouldn't be one.

The downside:
1) No 2005 draft means teams miss out on 11 players to fill out the organizational depth charts.
2) US College players that don't opt in to the 2004 draft will have to wait until they're 20 to be drafted in 2006.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
I'd be in favour of raising the draft ge, but I don't want to see players who have already reached their peak in Juniors have to stay there. Maybe an agreement with the AHL would have to be included so they can each have one junior aged player in what would be his final junior year.

Titanium

Oct 20, 2003
Nottinghamshire, Eng
Visit site
I like the double 2006 option (twice as many rounds, all '05 and '06 players), as it's by far the fairest! Base the order on the standard method, using '04 standings with a freshly-drawn order! Seems simple, IMHO!

Cheers,
Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad