Lockout to end soon (False Rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazilian Avs Fan

Do you guys believe this rumor?

"There is a rumor coming out of the NHL offices that everyone was asked to come back in at 8:30 am this morning, following a late, late night of teleconferencing. The lights were on in the tele-conference room until 3:45am. I heard the first part of the night was a teleconference with 10 of the owners, then as we were about to get out of here the NHLPA called and had a teleconference that began around 11:30...the discussions were heated, but when all was said and done the NHL people involved were laughing and high five-ing.

So if this is true they are back at it this morning...I sure hope so. I have heard several people saying that this week-end is it. I hope it is, this has gone on long enough, and this emotional roller coaster just isn't fair to the fans or the players....

I'm also getting word that the pressure on Bettman coming from the big teams led by Philly, Detroit, Colorado, and Toronto is getting more and more intense. If it goes past this week-end I would fully expect to hear rumblings from the big markets teams..especially since they were basically told it was over a few days ago."

And that's from http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com

"So keep the faith hockey fans! Don't believe the gloom and doom coming from the frustration of the media who are being forced to listen to gloom and doom day and night."

I really want to believe this! I sincerely need hockey and I hope this could be the end of the NHL lockout.

Last edited:

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Brazilian Avs Fan said:
Do you guys believe this rumor?

"There is a rumor coming out of the NHL offices that everyone was asked to come back in at 8:30 am this morning, following a late, late night of teleconferencing. The lights were on in the tele-conference room until 3:45am. I heard the first part of the night was a teleconference with 10 of the owners, then as we were about to get out of here the NHLPA called and had a teleconference that began around 11:30...the discussions were heated, but when all was said and done the NHL people involved were laughing and high five-ing.

So if this is true they are back at it this morning...I sure hope so. I have heard several people saying that this week-end is it. I hope it is, this has gone on long enough, and this emotional roller coaster just isn't fair to the fans or the players....

I'm also getting word that the pressure on Bettman coming from the big teams led by Philly, Detroit, Colorado, and Toronto is getting more and more intense. If it goes past this week-end I would fully expect to hear rumblings from the big markets teams..especially since they were basically told it was over a few days ago."

And that's from http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com

"So keep the faith hockey fans! Don't believe the gloom and doom coming from the frustration of the media who are being forced to listen to gloom and doom day and night."

I really want to believe this! I sincerely need hockey and I hope this could be the end of the NHL lockout.

Welcome to the board.... but I REALLY hate to break this to you, as youre new...

The guy youre quoting, Eklund, is widely regarded as the biggest fraud in the world on this board as well as other boards across the net. You basically just quoted the most unreliable guy on the planet (go read his older posts from November for a good idea of how he makes stuff up).

Hes all lies. Heres a tip: steer clear of his garbage. Everyone else here does.

But welcome to the board anyways! :)

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Don't apologize bud. The only thing wrong you did was post something that was already posted.As for him being a fraud, thats very much up for debate. Its a rumor, and more than suitable for discussion.

Liquidrage*

kenabnrmal said:
As for him being a fraud, thats very much up for debate. Its a rumor, and more than suitable for discussion.

:shakehead

Seriously, this is why his crap needs to be locked just like any other anonymous rumor would be at HF.

Very much up for debate my hiney.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Liquidrage said:

Seriously, this is why his crap needs to be locked just like any other anonymous rumor would be at HF.

Very much up for debate my hiney.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it were locked. People can go to Eklund's site as much as easily as I can. However, I find people's objection to him...actually, their disgust with him...simply amazing. Instead of allowing people to take it with a grain of salt (because, like it or not, it IS VERY debateable whether he is believable or not), you want it locked down. Hey, if you don't want your hopes raised by him, then don't read it. Why try to inflict it upon others who, unlike you, perhaps can control themselves or do get some enjoyment out of it. Its quite childish.

Bottom line is what another poster said a few days ago. Eklund may be wrong 99% of the time...but with the media reporting and reacting only to the two sides' propaganda, "legit" sites are wrong and misleading 100% of the time. We're all speculating. The thing I don't understand is people's hate for this guy, simply for spouting something positive and gaining nothing but attention from it (unless it is real, and he really wants to relay information to the general public). Worst case senario, its hardly "crap" that should be offensive to anyone. Its a non-issue.

EDIT: And what exactly are you referring to as being "the reason this crap needs to be locked"? What exactly did I say, besides it being simply a rumor, to get your back up so much?

Crazy Lunatic

kenabnrmal said:
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it were locked. People can go to Eklund's site as much as easily as I can. However, I find people's objection to him...actually, their disgust with him...simply amazing. Instead of allowing people to take it with a grain of salt (because, like it or not, it IS VERY debateable whether he is believable or not), you want it locked down. Hey, if you don't want your hopes raised by him, then don't read it. Why try to inflict it upon others who, unlike you, perhaps can control themselves or do get some enjoyment out of it. Its quite childish.

Bottom line is what another poster said a few days ago. Eklund may be wrong 99% of the time...but with the media reporting and reacting only to the two sides' propaganda, "legit" sites are wrong and misleading 100% of the time. We're all speculating. The thing I don't understand is people's hate for this guy, simply for spouting something positive and gaining nothing but attention from it (unless it is real, and he really wants to relay information to the general public). Worst case senario, its hardly "crap" that should be offensive to anyone. Its a non-issue.

EDIT: And what exactly are you referring to as being "the reason this crap needs to be locked"? What exactly did I say, besides it being simply a rumor, to get your back up so much?

They are not rumors, its all made up garbage. Asking my dog about the lockout would get me better answers than going to Eklunds site. I'm glad it does exist though because it brings me joy to make fun of it. Just picturing this inept Philly reporter flying from city to city and digging through garbage dumps for lockout information and interviewing local hobos, then rushing back to his blog to report this "insider info". It's just hilarious. He's not 99% wrong either, its 100%. The guy has posted some of the most outrageous stories on his blog, easily giving him away as a complete hoax, but people still believe the guy. Every single weekend, the guy says "its a done deal!". If he keeps going, he will be right one of these weekends, but probably not untill next year.

creative giant*

Liquidrage said:

I agree. But why stop there? TSN/Sportsnet etc... have been wrong so many times the last few months that I hope that all threads about their articles reporting 'rumours' be locked as well.

Liquidrage*

kenabnrmal said:

Because you said, "As for him being a fraud, thats very much up for debate."

It isn't up for debate. He's a fraud.

Look at what shekky says later in this thread,
"I agree. But why stop there? TSN/Sportsnet etc... have been wrong so many times the last few months that I hope that all threads about their articles reporting 'rumours' be locked as well."

And then what Crazy Lunatic says,
"Just picturing this inept Philly reporter flying from city to city and digging through garbage dumps for lockout information and interviewing local hobos, then rushing back to his blog to report this "insider info". "

OK, see TSN/Sportsnet etc.. do have reporters flying to cities, talking to people. They then speculate and at least writes what a real *insider* has speculated. Eklund's just sitting in his room making stuff up. He isn't traveling anywhere, he doesn't know anyone. HF has a rule about posting rumors. During the season if I were to come here and post about a trade I read on a message board from someone that is a confirmed insider it would get locked. And I think that's a good rule. But apparently if you make up so many rumors that you need a blog to keep track of them all it's OK. Doesn't add up. I've just dealt with Eklund and his garbage for several years and while I've always thought it was funny that some people are now saying stuff like "him being a fraud, thats very much up for debate" is rather creepy.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
Liquidrage said:

QUOTE]

Ok then fella, prove it...prove he is a fraud.

You saying he is doesn't make it so. I am not saying that he is credible in any way, but who here can truly PROVE that he isn't who he says he is. If you think you can, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise it's simply your opinion and that, by default, makes it up for debate.

All I can say is lighten up. If he wants to post his "rumors" on his blog that's his right. If someone wants to talk about it here on these boards that's there right. If you don't like it, then you can avoid the threads (it's usually pretty easy to tell which ones are about Eklund).

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Liquidrage said:

Look at what shekky says later in this thread,
"I agree. But why stop there? TSN/Sportsnet etc... have been wrong so many times the last few months that I hope that all threads about their articles reporting 'rumours' be locked as well."

And then what Crazy Lunatic says,
"Just picturing this inept Philly reporter flying from city to city and digging through garbage dumps for lockout information and interviewing local hobos, then rushing back to his blog to report this "insider info". "

OK, see TSN/Sportsnet etc.. do have reporters flying to cities, talking to people. They then speculate and at least writes what a real *insider* has speculated. Eklund's just sitting in his room making stuff up. He isn't traveling anywhere, he doesn't know anyone. HF has a rule about posting rumors. During the season if I were to come here and post about a trade I read on a message board from someone that is a confirmed insider it would get locked. And I think that's a good rule. But apparently if you make up so many rumors that you need a blog to keep track of them all it's OK. Doesn't add up. I've just dealt with Eklund and his garbage for several years and while I've always thought it was funny that some people are now saying stuff like "him being a fraud, thats very much up for debate" is rather creepy.

As ChiHawks said, prove he's a fraud. You saying he's a fraud and making it up is no different than me saying he isn't. I'm not even saying he isn't...I'm saying theres little proof he's a fraud, and I see no reason to get offended by what he writes. Perhaps I'm more accepting of his stories (true or untrue), because for quite a while he was the only individual trying to remind people that what you read on Sportsnet and TSN is highly controlled by the parties involved in the mess. They aren't giving you "insider" material, they are giving you rehearsed and highly edited "leaks" from each side's PR reps. And that you shouldn't believe everything you read on those sites. As others have pointed out, if you believed TSN and Sportsnet, the season would have been cancelled in January. Talks would have stopped before then, and there'd be no hope whatsoever. Eklund's posts were contrary to that, and the fact that they are still talking now lends at least SOME credence to him, even if he's only right "in theory" (even if the stories aren't true, he knows enough about the process of negotitation to know there HAD to be more going on).

You say "I've dealt with Eklund and his garbage for several years...". Gosh, they are rumors, not life or death. Discussing various rumors and possibilities aren't a career. Once again, I don't understand why its so offensive to people. Being SLIGHTLY familiar with the process of collective bargaining, I've always found what Eklund wrote to be more realistic than what the mainstream was telling us. Not that I believed him, but that I DEFINITELY DIDN'T believe the mainstream, so it was all part of the reading concerning these negotiations. NOTHING we've read is even 50% true, but we should only be allowed to discuss the possibilities that TSN and Sportsnet feed us? Seems silly to me to put such restrictions on a website devoted to discussion of "possibilities".

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
kenabnrmal said:
As ChiHawks said, prove he's a fraud. You saying he's a fraud and making it up is no different than me saying he isn't. I'm not even saying he isn't...I'm saying theres little proof he's a fraud, and I see no reason to get offended by what he writes. Perhaps I'm more accepting of his stories (true or untrue), because for quite a while he was the only individual trying to remind people that what you read on Sportsnet and TSN is highly controlled by the parties involved in the mess. They aren't giving you "insider" material, they are giving you rehearsed and highly edited "leaks" from each side's PR reps. And that you shouldn't believe everything you read on those sites. As others have pointed out, if you believed TSN and Sportsnet, the season would have been cancelled in January. Talks would have stopped before then, and there'd be no hope whatsoever. Eklund's posts were contrary to that, and the fact that they are still talking now lends at least SOME credence to him, even if he's only right "in theory" (even if the stories aren't true, he knows enough about the process of negotitation to know there HAD to be more going on).

You say "I've dealt with Eklund and his garbage for several years...". Gosh, they are rumors, not life or death. Discussing various rumors and possibilities aren't a career. Once again, I don't understand why its so offensive to people. Being SLIGHTLY familiar with the process of collective bargaining, I've always found what Eklund wrote to be more realistic than what the mainstream was telling us. Not that I believed him, but that I DEFINITELY DIDN'T believe the mainstream, so it was all part of the reading concerning these negotiations. NOTHING we've read is even 50% true, but we should only be allowed to discuss the possibilities that TSN and Sportsnet feed us? Seems silly to me to put such restrictions on a website devoted to discussion of "possibilities".

How about a 0% success rate with his "rumors"

Guy is a fraud and these wastes of bandwidth threads should be locked

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
NataSatan666 said:

How about a 0% success rate with his "rumors"

Guy is a fraud and these wastes of bandwidth threads should be locked

Nothing like a smiley to answer the questions I brought up rather than a well-thought out answer. Nice job. I'll chalk it up to it being a lazy Sunday morning.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
Nothing like a smiley to answer the questions I brought up rather than a well-thought out answer. Nice job. I'll chalk it up to it being a lazy Sunday morning.
I dont know how someone is supposed to prove something that should be obvious.

I've never seen TSN say that the players are going to accept a cap, and that the season will start within a week. This guy has said it since november, with nary a retraction.

Someone posted a bunch of his predictions in another thread, pointing out the dates. If you want to compare him to TSN, feel free to show a bunch of TSN predictions. TSN speculated on the negotiations, like everyone else, but I havent heard them say the season is imminant for almost 3 months.

I was at the supermarket the other day, and the headline on the tabloid newspaper said that the next president is going to be the antichrist (actual cover story). That paper has its sources (top government official says...) and thats how they try to gain credibility (a top scientists says that bigfoot is actually a stranded alien, a top government official says that Osama has been caught and is secretly working as an aid for Bush...).

You guys prove that that paper is a fraud, and I'll work on disproving the hockey writer, deal?

He's entertainment, just like the tabloid paper. Theres no bat boy, lobster boy or boy with balls on chin, just like theres no sources. If you want to believe him, feel free. If you read his columns from november though, I dont see how you can still give him credit.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Cawz said:
I dont know how someone is supposed to prove something that should be obvious.

I've never seen TSN say that the players are going to accept a cap, and that the season will start within a week. This guy has said it since november, with nary a retraction.

Someone posted a bunch of his predictions in another thread, pointing out the dates. If you want to compare him to TSN, feel free to show a bunch of TSN predictions. TSN speculated on the negotiations, like everyone else, but I havent heard them say the season is imminant for almost 3 months.

I was at the supermarket the other day, and the headline on the tabloid newspaper said that the next president is going to be the antichrist (actual cover story). That paper has its sources (top government official says...) and thats how they try to gain credibility (a top scientists says that bigfoot is actually a stranded alien, a top government official says that Osama has been caught and is secretly working as an aid for Bush...).

You guys prove that that paper is a fraud, and I'll work on disproving the hockey writer, deal?

He's entertainment, just like the tabloid paper. Theres no bat boy, lobster boy or boy with balls on chin, just like theres no sources. If you want to believe him, feel free. If you read his columns from november though, I dont see how you can still give him credit.

You raise good points. And again, I never said he's credible or that I believe him. As others have pointed out, he's "supposedly" simply pointing out what he's being told. I don't know whether I believe he has sources, but I do think a lot of what he says (not all) is worth discussing. I don't believe most of the columnists that write for the Sun Media chain either, but I have no problem reading it and discussing what they put forth.

Really, the thread isn't about whether or not you believe the guy. Its about whether or not a thread discussing the possibilities he brings up should be locked. Personally, I don't take these boards that seriously, and I don't see why they'd be locked. The thread don't offend me, and I find some of the more worthwhile discussion comes from those threads (once you ignore the "the guy's a fraud" comments). But, thats just me.

Liquidrage*

ChiHawks468 said:
Ok then fella, prove it...prove he is a fraud.

You saying he is doesn't make it so. I am not saying that he is credible in any way, but who here can truly PROVE that he isn't who he says he is. If you think you can, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise it's simply your opinion and that, by default, makes it up for debate.

All I can say is lighten up. If he wants to post his "rumors" on his blog that's his right. If someone wants to talk about it here on these boards that's there right. If you don't like it, then you can avoid the threads (it's usually pretty easy to tell which ones are about Eklund).

Eklund has been posting gossip rumors, none of which have come true, for about 4 years that I know of now. A moderator of flyresphans.com, where Eklund has always done most of his posting, has offered several times to sign a legal NDA for Eklund so Eklund could prove who he is. Eklund declined.

Eklund only posts from Philly even when he claims he was in Toronto.

Eklund has posted literally 100's of garbage trade rumors with a success rate of about zero.

Eklund has been offered dozens of time to submit just some proof any of the things he says is true. Not just he stupid always wrong posts, but he'll say things like "Tomorrow I'll be in Toronto to report on the meetings..." and he'll be asked to post to the site from Toronto to prove he was at least there and he's never come through.

Eklund has a few times vowed never to post there again after being caught in a contradiction from some of his lies and yet after a few months of silence always comes back and claims to be an insider.

Hell, the guy is 100% pounded at flyersphans.com and we're not nice and polite there like we have to be here. Allmost anything goes there. And still he comes back and pretends to be an insider.

I mean Jesus, talk about getting it totall ass backwards and putting the onus of proof on me to prove Eklund isn't someone.

Eklund has been posting utter horsecrap for years. He's never right. He's constantly beaten up over and it and yet still persists. And I need to prove his negative? :shakehead

Right, how about any idiot with internet access can claim to be anyone. At least a little success rate would show he might know someone somewhere that gives him stuff. But that isn't his MO. His MO is to just post crap that never comes to be.

And finally, according to HR rules that is not our right to post his crap. For him to have a blog, yes. For us to discuss it no. As I have said several times, we are not allowed to post rumors from anonymous sources here. Those threads have always gotten locked in the past. How does someone having an anonymous blog with a ZERO success rate in his rumor garbage circumnavigate those rules?

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Liquidrage said:
Eklund has been posting gossip rumors, none of which have come true, for about 4 years that I know of now. A moderator of flyresphans.com, where Eklund has always done most of his posting, has offered several times to sign a legal NDA for Eklund so Eklund could prove who he is. Eklund declined.

Eklund has posted literally 100's of garbage trade rumors with a success rate of about zero.

Eklund has been offered dozens of time to submit just some proof any of the things he says is true. Not just he stupid always wrong posts, but he'll say things like "Tomorrow I'll be in Toronto to report on the meetings..." and he'll be asked to post to the site from Toronto to prove he was at least there and he's never come through.

Eklund has a few times vowed never to post there again after being caught in a contradiction from some of his lies and yet after a few months of silence always comes back and claims to be an insider.

Hell, the guy is 100% pounded at flyersphans.com and we're not nice and polite there like we have to be here. Allmost anything goes there. And still he comes back and pretends to be an insider.

I mean Jesus, talk about getting it totall ass backwards and putting the onus of proof on me to prove Eklund isn't someone.

Eklund has been posting utter horsecrap for years. He's never right. He's constantly beaten up over and it and yet still persists. And I need to prove his negative? :shakehead

Right, how about any idiot with internet access can claim to be anyone. At least a little success rate would show he might know someone somewhere that gives him stuff. But that isn't his MO. His MO is to just post crap that never comes to be.

And finally, according to HR rules that is not our right to post his crap. For him to have a blog, yes. For us to discuss it no. As I have said several times, we are not allowed to post rumors from anonymous sources here. Those threads have always gotten locked in the past. How does someone having an anonymous blog with a ZERO success rate in his rumor garbage circumnavigate those rules?

Your rant notwithstanding, again I ask. Why does a discussion on the issues he brings up bother you so much? Why not just ignore his threads? Why so angry?

Liquidrage*

kenabnrmal said:
Your rant notwithstanding, again I ask. Why does a discussion on the issues he brings up bother you so much? Why not just ignore his threads? Why so angry?

Escuse me, my what? I just stated several reasons at *your* request and you come back and say that? Next time, don't bother asking me to explain a damn thing to you.

Second, I'm not angry. Third as I've stated by HF's own rules posts about his rumors should be locked. Rules I agree with because without those rules we'd see tons and tons of threads of people disucssing and arguing BS rumors. Just like we see with Eklund rumors. If all his threads were locked I wouldn't have to waste my time replying to you. Which btw won't happen again.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
Liquidrage said:

Look, this whole discussion is pointless. You still haven't proven he is a fraud. Wrong more often than not, yes, but a fraud, no (or at least not yet). Why does it bother you so much? For me it is entertainment and possibly even gives me a glimer of hope when none can be found elsewhere. No big deal really, not worth getting your shorts in a knot. As I suggested earlier, just ignore the threads if you are so bothered by it. I don't think it is written anywhere that every thread must be to your liking. I could be wrong. Apparrently, there are quite a few people who are at least somewhat interested to see topics about Eklund, this thread is in the top 10 for views...interesting, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->