Confirmed with Link: Lockout Over (Tentatively); Let's Go Blues!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
So which player is going to come back Tkachunky and out of shape after the lockout?

Shatty did not appear to be in very good shape before he went to Europe. That may have improved while he was there though. I haven't really seen any other players during the lockout besides Andy Mac, who is always in ridiculously good shape, and Pietrangelo, who looks to be in good shape.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Shattenkirk could use some extra weight. He was probably trying to bulk up this year. His physical play improved when his offensive game went stagnant last year.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Dying to know the schedule. Need to know when Blues will be playing in Denver so I can go see Tarasenko.
I get to enjoy a local blackout of all Coyotes games, though I'm in freaking New Mexico 10 hours away. In the past, only the away feeds were blocked and I could "enjoy" the Coyotes feed for Blues games. Now, I'll have to catch a stream online or miss them altogether.

HOWEVER, I may try to time a weekend visit to Phoenix to take in a game if the schedule works out favorably.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
I hope it works out for u. I don't know what I would o if I couldn't watch all the games on tv. :help:

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
Hitch was on KMOX just a little bit ago and gave a great interview. I'll bullet a few points out.

-May end up calling up one more forward and D-man from peoria for camp. Thinks it will take 30 players to get through this season.

-McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko will be together.

-Likes Steen's progress in re-learning the center position in the SEL.

-Talked about how he's going to handle different conditioning levels. To paraphrase: Just because you were at 20 minute player in the past doesn't mean you are going to be one this year. If all you can give is 15 minutes at a high level then that's what you'll get.

-Mentioned something about possibly 3PP units or two strong ones.

-At least 8 players regular PK duty.

-Thought Schwartz was playing well in Peoria says he was a dependable player.

-Cole is a cut above players at AHL level. Still needs to find consistency in his game.

That's about all I remember out of the interview. If we ever win the cup with him as a coach I want a "Directors Commentary" track with Hitch explaining decisions, and break downs of key plays that lead to the cup. I don't think I could ever get tired of listening to Hitch talk about hockey.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko

I love that line.

I think that puts Perron-Backes-Oshie as the other top line.

D'Agostini/Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart

There's the question marks and potential.

letmesleep

Mar 12, 2009
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko

I love that line.

I think that puts Perron-Backes-Oshie as the other top line.

D'Agostini/Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart

There's the question marks and potential.

I think we'll see D'Agostini on the Backes/Oshie line. Hitchcock loves his forward pairs and I don't see him breaking up Perron/Berglund. Also, I think the first line is going to be where D'Agostini will be most effective. He can snipe on that line (that's what he does best) but won't have to make the plays himself as much like he would probably have to do with Bergy and Stewy.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Shatty did not appear to be in very good shape before he went to Europe. That may have improved while he was there though. I haven't really seen any other players during the lockout besides Andy Mac, who is always in ridiculously good shape, and Pietrangelo, who looks to be in good shape.
Shattenkirk was in fine shape. It was just one bad picture. I have found that really you can catch anyone with what looks like a double chin if you catch them at the right angle.

But before that Shattenkirk was skating in St. Louis and then he did very well in Finland so he looks good to go.

There is nobody on the team who will pull a Tkachuk. Because so many guys were either playing in Europe or in the minors, and the ones that weren't were skating and working out continuously.

Dying to know the schedule. Need to know when Blues will be playing in Denver so I can go see Tarasenko.
Have you always been in Denver?

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Lou Korac ‏@lkorac10

Ken Hitchcock, who watched today's skate, on Chris Stewart: "He looks great. He looks like a different player on the ice." #stlblues

Lou Korac ‏@lkorac10

Chris Stewart: "This is the leanest I've ever been in my life." #stlblues

Sounds like great news. Here's hoping Stewy has a bounce-back year.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Sounds like great news. Here's hoping Stewy has a bounce-back year.

Kind of a shame that it took a contract year to bring this out of him, but hopefully he plays well because of it and brings us a nice return in trade :P

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
If we get an in-shape and motivated Stewart, we could do some real damage this season.

I agree. Kind of like having a poor man's Shanahan or Perry Turnbull type...ha ha. I like the tough wingers with some offensive game. I'd like to see him get back on his 25-30 goal pace. We really need that from him. We is a good element to have and protects the McDonalds, Pietrangelos and Schwartzs of this world. He just beat the living stuffing out of that poor kid in the playoffs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If he rebounds I'd definitely like to keep him. You don't trade someone after one bad season.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Looks like the 48 game schedule we are going to end up with is going to be really messy. Facing two Divisional opponents 4 times, and the other two 5 times...

If he rebounds I'd definitely like to keep him. You don't trade someone after one bad season.

I just can't see how it is possible. We won't really be able to afford him, and given our style of hockey, he isn't exactly the ideal candidate to be handing a long term deal to. I am totally convinced he is gone after this season.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Looks like the 48 game schedule we are going to end up with is going to be really messy. Facing two Divisional opponents 4 times, and the other two 5 times...

I just can't see how it is possible. We won't really be able to afford him, and given our style of hockey, he isn't exactly the ideal candidate to be handing a long term deal to. I am totally convinced he is gone after this season.
Does anyone really know if we'll be able to afford him right now or not though? That depends on what other contracts we hand out and how other players perform (and what happens with guys like McDonald, Schwartz, etc). Now you may be right and certainly you can make a legit case for your claim, but there are a lot of variables here.

If Stewart can get back to scoring and showing good effort, he is a fine fit for our team. There seems to be a misconception that you have to be a great two-way player to stick on our roster, but I really don't care if Stewart never becomes a defensive stalwart. We have plenty of other guys that can fill that role and kill penalties. All we need Stewart to do is score, work hard and use his big body for things he should be doing (going to the front of the net, battling along the boards, providing toughness). If he does that, he fills a role that nobody else on the team really does except for Backes. If we do end up trading Stewart I'd like to replace him with a similar type of player and I assume we would, because there's a reason Armstrong targeted Stewart in the first place.

Either way I just hope to see Stewart do well because I think when he's on his game he adds a nice element to our team.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Moved to Crested Butte this past summer.

I just visited Colorado for the first time over New Year's. Beautiful country. I got engaged there in Keystone. :)

As we were leaving, I remarked to my fiancée that we should move there. It's slightly more pretty there than Iowa. ;)

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I just visited Colorado for the first time over New Year's. Beautiful country. I got engaged there in Keystone. :)

As we were leaving, I remarked to my fiancée that we should move there. It's slightly more pretty there than Iowa. ;)

Denver is near the top in terms of places I would like to live. I would certainly wear my Blues jersey there.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Does anyone really know if we'll be able to afford him right now or not though? That depends on what other contracts we hand out and how other players perform (and what happens with guys like McDonald, Schwartz, etc). Now you may be right and certainly you can make a legit case for your claim, but there are a lot of variables here.

If Stewart can get back to scoring and showing good effort, he is a fine fit for our team. There seems to be a misconception that you have to be a great two-way player to stick on our roster, but I really don't care if Stewart never becomes a defensive stalwart. We have plenty of other guys that can fill that role and kill penalties. All we need Stewart to do is score, work hard and use his big body for things he should be doing (going to the front of the net, battling along the boards, providing toughness). If he does that, he fills a role that nobody else on the team really does except for Backes. If we do end up trading Stewart I'd like to replace him with a similar type of player and I assume we would, because there's a reason Armstrong targeted Stewart in the first place.

Either way I just hope to see Stewart do well because I think when he's on his game he adds a nice element to our team.

On the financial aspect... We have 12 players signed next season and their salary in actual $ will increase by $4.5m compared to what they were meant to earn this season. Add in the raises to our RFA (Pietrangelo's raise alone will be $4m+ in real $) and our salary bill is rocketing. I don't think the cuts will be as drastic as some other posters, but there is no doubt that something will have to give, what is obviously debatable.

The misconception about 2-way forward certainly exists, but McDonald and Perron are not good 2-way players! The difference with them is that they are at least in some way effective when they are on the ice. I don't want to start the season by ripping on Stewart, but he doesn't use his size effectively and consistently enough and that has been the case since he came into the League. I won't criticise his effort though, the problem is properly directing that effort whenever he isn't scoring and coaching hasn't been able to impact that up until now.

As for a replacement, I think that is Tarasenko. He might not fight, but he basically does everything else better.

Wiems35*

I saw over on the Post Dispatch board that Jackman said we will start the season with a home and home vs Detroit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
On the financial aspect... We have 12 players signed next season and their salary in actual $ will increase by $4.5m compared to what they were meant to earn this season. Add in the raises to our RFA (Pietrangelo's raise alone will be $4m+ in real $) and our salary bill is rocketing. I don't think the cuts will be as drastic as some other posters, but there is no doubt that something will have to give, what is obviously debatable.

The misconception about 2-way forward certainly exists, but McDonald and Perron are not good 2-way players! The difference with them is that they are at least in some way effective when they are on the ice. I don't want to start the season by ripping on Stewart, but he doesn't use his size effectively and consistently enough and that has been the case since he came into the League. I won't criticise his effort though, the problem is properly directing that effort whenever he isn't scoring and coaching hasn't been able to impact that up until now.

As for a replacement, I think that is Tarasenko. He might not fight, but he basically does everything else better.
You're right about McDonald and Perron, but they are getting better defensively. Not too worried about them either.

And I highly doubt Tarasenko is Stewart's replacement.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Perron is a good two-way player. There's more to keeping the puck out of your own net than playing without the puck in your own zone. Perron's puck possession, his uncanny ability to win puck battles, and his skills at stripping the puck in the neutral zone and around the opposing blue line are excellent.

He's not going to get shutdown assignment, of course, but his ability to establish the zone and control the puck are enough to make him a positive two-way player.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

Congratu****inglations my friend. Awesome news. You've gotta come to Crested Butte sometime. It's more remote (4hrs from Denver) but it's one of the last truly great ski towns. And the people are very friendly and chill. Super cool news. You must be happy as hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad