GDT: Lockout is over

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They don't have any salary that we'd want, apart from maybe some of their forwards who they won't part with.

Next year it's not going to matter who they want to part with. It'll be about who they can manage to keep, and of course Kessel and Van Riemsdyk top that list - not to mention Grabovski who is virtually unmoveable. If they're stupid enough to go after Luongo and Vancouver isn't willing to take salary back (a real possibility) they'll be even worse off.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kinda random, but on the topic of Luongo. I could really do without him coming to the East. This team the past few years, and last year in particular has struggled mightily with blimps like Luongo. We used to destroy him when he was with Florida, but since he went to Vancouver he dominated us even though we've only played him 3 or 4 times since. He's shut us out at least two of those times. Just remember the shutout, and the other game where we barely won when we played that wall from the Isles last year.

In the playoffs I'm confident we can beat Luongo just as we did with other big goalies we've had problems with like Clemmer, Bryz, and Lundqvist. Regular season though we usually have some duds against them.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
What about 50% off? If enough people are disgusted, secondary market prices could be pretty depressed this season.

My comment alluded more to the fact I can't go to any Devils games in person as a long distance fan, and even if they do play locally, I get tickets for free from connections.

*fake boycott*

If I were a local fan however, discounted tickets or a mini-pack at a heavily discounted "welcome back" package would appeal to me as some sort of attempt at an apology from the front office.

If they were smart they would offer upgrades to all STH or a 20% rollback on prices for this season or some sort of playoff 24 hour advance purchase option. Let the fan choose their compensatory package.

apice3*

The NHL isn't going to give us anything. What has happened in the last 6 months that leads any of you to believe the NHL isn't a bunch of selfish and greedy people?

If they do anything, it's going to be more sweatshop made giveaways. Here's a Devils beanie, here's a generic rally towel, here's a poster of Bettman dry humping a horse.

They're not giving any of us from Center Ice. It'll be pro-rated, but it's not going to be discounted. Maybe a week or two free to start the season like they usually do, but they're not doing anything special for us. They're going to pretend this thing never even happened.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Anything I get this year is off of the secondary market. But I already get my hockey cards on Ebay and I don't know what else I'd get this season anyway.

apice3*

I don't see us getting Gionta back, but I do see the Canadiens trying to pawn off Gomez to someone (maybe a floor team) at 1/2 price.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I don't see us getting Gionta back, but I do see the Canadiens trying to pawn off Gomez to someone (maybe a floor team) at 1/2 price.

Gomez will be bought out, that's a garantee. There's not one team that will sacrifice a asset to land someone that's a lock to get bought out.

Might as well wait and sign him to deal and term you choose fit, no?

apice3*

Gomez will be bought out, that's a garantee. There's not one team that will sacrifice a asset to land someone that's a lock to get bought out.

Might as well wait and sign him to deal and term you choose fit, no?

Yeah but he can also choose to sign with you or someone else. I can see the Islanders going after him. They need centers, they wouldn't have to give up much, and they can land him at a 3-4 mil cap hit to keep them above the floor.

GM17*

Centre Ice prices are largely dependent on provider. I'd bet they already purchased the rights to distribute Centre Ice for several years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At this point they might as well use him as their sixth defenseman since they can't bury him, or buy him out till the end of the year. He'd be better than the immortal Stu Bickel.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
At this point they might as well use him as their sixth defenseman since they can't bury him, or buy him out till the end of the year. He'd be better than the immortal Stu Bickel.

That's the one thing I don't really get. I guess burying him was more of a sign to the fans, and I'm sure the cap space helped, but a guy like Redden even on the third pairing would have been invaluable to the 2.5 pairings they had for the playoffs. I doubt anyone would have picked Redden up off waivers or anything.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Teams can retain salary in trades, but I believe that pertains to actual dollars spent on the player, not cap hit.

Thanks, but still confused. Retain who's salary though?

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Thanks, but still confused. Retain who's salary though?

Assuming I'm understanding it correctly, think of it like a trade in baseball. The team giving up the player can send out the guy, but they are going to pay part of the guy's salary. It won't count against your cap hit, but you're obligated to pay it. At least that's how I perceive it. And if I remember correctly, you can do this for up to 3 players you trade, and the combined value of the salary you are paying (after dealing the guy) can not be more than 15% of the salary cap. i.e. if its a $70 mil cap, you can only be paying/retaining $10.5 mil of salaries (not cap hits being retained) for the 1-3 guys you traded with money.

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
Hey guys, got a simple question ... the salary cap for this season will be 70,2M and then go down for the next season right?

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011

Thanks! I'm very interested how Minnesota will handle this. Would you amnesty the Heatley contract? I mean he is still a more than serviceable player but well ... I think they want to see what he does in this season. I'm over the Parise thing I guess but I find it hilarious that they're in this trouble now. And we might have the chance to sign a big top 6 forward in the off-season, after making sure that we make Elias a lifer and keep our core guys. This off-season is just going to be amazing I guess.

But it's a little bit irritating that we're talking about the next off-season when hockey is about to start in two weeks, isnt't it? :laugh:

I'm just excited that hockey is back and can't wait to watch the streams in the night and go straight to university. Will be awesome :laugh:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I think it would be hilarious if they bought out Heatley. Parise comes to Minnesota after asking him if they can win, and then never plays a game with him. That would be the height of irony.

apice3*

Assuming I'm understanding it correctly, think of it like a trade in baseball. The team giving up the player can send out the guy, but they are going to pay part of the guy's salary. It won't count against your cap hit, but you're obligated to pay it. At least that's how I perceive it. And if I remember correctly, you can do this for up to 3 players you trade, and the combined value of the salary you are paying (after dealing the guy) can not be more than 15% of the salary cap. i.e. if its a $70 mil cap, you can only be paying/retaining $10.5 mil of salaries (not cap hits being retained) for the 1-3 guys you traded with money.

Hypothetically let's say we trade Tallinder and retain 2 mil of his salary. Does he count against our cap 2 mil or is the receiving team entitled to his full cap hit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad