GDT: Lockout is over

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
just looking over the potential lineup without Henrique

....yikes

It will probably mean Butler gets a top 6 role as a stop gap or perhaps Sykora could be re-signed.

Kovalchuk - Zajac - Clarkson
Elias - Zubrus - Butler
Carter - Gionta - Bernier
Tedenby - Josefson - Barch

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I know everyone hates Fehr but you have to say his waiting game was pretty smart.

For the second year cap, he managed to get the NHL to go from 60 to 64.3, for the contracts, he managed to get the NHL go from max of 5 years and a 7 for returning players, to 7 and 8, respectively. And even contract variance from 5% all the way up to 35%. So much for it being the hill they die on. :laugh:

He did what he was supposed to do, in getting the best deal for the players.

Last edited:

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
? Elias-Zubrus
Pesonen or Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Kovy returns to LW to take Parise's place
Was hoping to move Elias back to LW, but with Henrique sidelined for a few weeks he has to go back to C
Not sold on Tedenby defense so I am not sure he is a lock for the NHL
Hopefully Butler plays solid D, helps us in shootouts, and scores a few

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It will probably mean Butler gets a top 6 role as a stop gap or perhaps Sykora could be re-signed.

Kovalchuk - Zajac - Clarkson
Elias - Zubrus - Butler
Carter - Gionta - Bernier
Tedenby - Josefson - Barch

My opinion:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus
Tedenby-Elias-Butler
Bernier-Josefson-Clarkson

Maybe you can switch Butler and Zubrus as well, but I think that'll be the basic line-up. Spreads out the offense but not too much.

With Henrique out, I seriously think Lou is forced to trade a defender for forward help and/or sign Sykora again.

Kensu

Nov 1, 2011
New York City
My opinion:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus
Tedenby-Elias-Butler
Bernier-Josefson-Clarkson

Maybe you can switch Butler and Zubrus as well, but I think that'll be the basic line-up. Spreads out the offense but not too much.

With Henrique out, I seriously think Lou is forced to trade a defender for forward help and/or sign Sykora again.

that line looks like it would be terrible defensively

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
? Elias-Zubrus
Pesonen or Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Kovy returns to LW to take Parise's place
Was hoping to move Elias back to LW, but with Henrique sidelined for a few weeks he has to go back to C
Not sold on Tedenby defense so I am not sure he is a lock for the NHL
Hopefully Butler plays solid D, helps us in shootouts, and scores a few

that line looks like it would be terrible defensively

He's been killing penalties in the AHL, I think he's like Kovalchuk where defense isn't the strengths of his game, but he's pretty reliable. I'd like to see Butler with Elias, as from what I've watched in Albany and heard from Ottawa fans, Butler needs a playmaker and a guy to get him the puck.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
Definitely need more forward help for the top 9. Relying on Tedenby and Butler to produce is too much of a risk. Trade for someone or resign Sykora and play him with Elias until Henrique comes back at least.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Definitely need more forward help for the top 9. Relying on Tedenby and Butler to produce is too much of a risk. Trade for someone or resign Sykora and play him with Elias until Henrique comes back at least.

I'm fine with that.

It'll give us:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler/Zubrus
Sykora/xxxx-Elias-Butler/Zubrus
Tedenby-JJ-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Yeah, we're gonna need a forward or two. There's gotta be someone available.

Hockey!!

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Who else can't wait for opening night at The Rock!?

I'd say I'm most happy for local businesses who are going to really benefit from this.. Missing an entire season would have been bad for them

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
HOCKEY !!

The league should have two questions for itself:

-Why didn't this get done in September?

-How can it NEVER happen again?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Who else can't wait for opening night at The Rock!?

I'd say I'm most happy for local businesses who are going to really benefit from this.. Missing an entire season would have been bad for them

I'm ****ing excited. I also know there is going to be a lot of games crammed into a small time span, meaning that my dad will get sick of going to games, meaning he gives them to me aha.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Well we do have a surplus at D. We could trade one for a forward. Because honestly which one of these 7 sits when you only need 6 on game night?

Salvador-just signed a long term deal
Volchenkov-in the middle of a long term deal
Larsson-restrict his develop as a young d-man by sitting him? I don't think so.
Fayne-just signed a 2 year deal
Greene-has 3 years left
Zidlicky-he is like our only D sparkplug
Tallinder-has 2 years left

Unless there is an injury who sits? You also have to be careful about trading a player with a long term contract. Future free agents might not sign in NJ if you know that the GM is just going to turn around and trade you in a year or 2.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Great news, hockey's back :handclap:

We really need some help on offence. We look real thin up front and something has to happen (trade or signing).

The main reason Lou got Kovy a couple of years ago was to give us secondary scoring. With the departure of Parise, we're back to square one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->