OT: Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What the **** is the “great moments in sports” blurb they’re doing on WGR? It’s like 3 minutes long where the narrator mentions a bunch of the big moments in sports history. It was cool the first time I heard it.... but they play it multiple times an hour. Is it some sort of paid programming instead of commercials? Or is it WGR filler content?
Anyone have an explanation? This may honestly end up being what permanently ends me listening to a WGR.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
What the **** is the “great moments in sports” blurb they’re doing on WGR? It’s like 3 minutes long where the narrator mentions a bunch of the big moments in sports history. It was cool the first time I heard it.... but they play it multiple times an hour. Is it some sort of paid programming instead of commercials? Or is it WGR filler content?

I tried to get WGR on my phone this morning but all I got was that "Great Moments in Sports" bit that cycled over and over without end.

No more TuneIn. Can't access on Roku anymore. Can't access through iTunes anymore. And Radio.com is malfunctioning crap.

It's like WGR is actively trying to drive its listeners away.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I tried to get WGR on my phone this morning but all I got was that "Great Moments in Sports" bit that cycled over and over without end.

No more TuneIn. Can't access on Roku anymore. Can't access through iTunes anymore. And Radio.com is malfunctioning crap.

It's like WGR is actively trying to drive its listeners away.
Pretty much...

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Radio.com is the Worst app ever...

I try to pause/stop or even close the app in my phone, and it continues playing for over a minute.

I answer the phone, the app continues playing over the caller who’s trying to speak to me.

I try to play a segment. It won’t come up.

I try to move a segment 5 minutes ahead, it bumps through almost the entire 40minute segment.

It’s just a bad play on the part of entercom or whoever makes these decisions. I understand that there are finances involved, and if you can save a few grand, you do it. But this is not worth the frustration that it causes users because it will cause people to stop listening.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Pretty off topic, but...when did Don Paul end up at Channel 7?

After Ch 4 forced him out. I think he only does weekend though. They also had former Ch 4 anchor Lia Lando working weekends but she seems to have disappeared.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
After Ch 4 forced him out. I think he only does weekend though. They also had former Ch 4 anchor Lia Lando working weekends but she seems to have disappeared.

I actually took a Newscaster class at U.B. and Rick Pfeiffer from Channel 4 was our professor. AWESOME guy and a good teacher. He used to have to come in with his makeup still on from the newscast. Told us he was a reporter that they turned into an anchor because he had the right "look" but he would rather still been just a reporter. Anyway, he let us come to the WIVB studios to sit in on their 11 PM newscast, and we got to see it from the floor and from the director booth. The director seemed to HATE Don Paul and would keep swearing to everyone about how he didn't listen and he had no idea what he was doing. But when I met Mr. Paul he seemed like a nice enough guy.

The best part of that experience was meeting Van Miller. What a truly nice person. He showed us his AFC Championship Rings, and other Bills memorabilia, and signed some autographs for us. The world truly misses Van Miller.

Reactions: jBuds

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I actually took a Newscaster class at U.B. and Rick Pfeiffer from Channel 4 was our professor. AWESOME guy and a good teacher. He used to have to come in with his makeup still on from the newscast. Told us he was a reporter that they turned into an anchor because he had the right "look" but he would rather still been just a reporter. Anyway, he let us come to the WIVB studios to sit in on their 11 PM newscast, and we got to see it from the floor and from the director booth. The director seemed to HATE Don Paul and would keep swearing to everyone about how he didn't listen and he had no idea what he was doing. But when I met Mr. Paul he seemed like a nice enough guy.

The best part of that experience was meeting Van Miller. What a truly nice person. He showed us his AFC Championship Rings, and other Bills memorabilia, and signed some autographs for us. The world truly misses Van Miller.

Van was the man! I met him a couple times and his wife and he was genuinely funny. Great guy.

Reactions: Dingo44

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Haven’t listened much this AM but is Dunleavy way better than Peters/Rivet, or did I just catch a good few mins?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Yes he is better. Not that it’s hard to do.
Right. It doesn’t say much. But what a waste of a time slot and a potentially critical show when it’s Peters and rivet.

Anyone want to do a weekly pod with me when the season starts? :laugh:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
WGR new app is terrible... haven’t listened nearly as much since they got rid of the old one

AM radio does not have a history for embracing new technologies.

They're spending as little money as possible on internet related things because they don't have any money because AM radio has been a pointless commercial medium for years.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Guys who are complaining about the app....

Do this and all your issues are solved ...

Avoid app
Go to the wgr website
Click on LISTEN in the upper corner

Enjoy :dunno:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
And yet, I can't be bothered to read it because of the paywall and requirement to be whitelisted to allow popup ads. :-/

"It's not a paywall!" - Mike Harrington.

Except the Javascript code that checks is :

"'GTM_paywall_Pages_Remaining': get_paywall_Count(),"

The best part of it is that even if you do subscribe, you get ads. They're just not smart over there.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
"It's not a paywall!" - Mike Harrington.

Except the Javascript code that checks is :

"'GTM_paywall_Pages_Remaining': get_paywall_Count(),"

The best part of it is that even if you do subscribe, you get ads. They're just not smart over there.
BN needs a total rebuild. They're still running the wishbone while trying to compete against pros. They lack leadership and innovation. They're not going to attract any to that toxic swamp they call a newsroom. They're headed for bankruptcy unless they make wholesale changes in their operation. Buffett should pull the plug now and start an expansion newspaper in Tonawanda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad