OT: Local sports coverage talk (the Athletic/Local TV/TBN/WGR/Charging Buffalo/LGA, etc)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Based on the reactions to Yerdon’s article, some of you need a break from hockey talk to recharge your perspective.

Or we are having fun goofing on a click bait tweet that was silly and should be goofed on.

I mean the guy makes his uneasy comment, which was made to built interest in the piece. And then he tweets about how he doesn’t like to keep ppl in suspense, but the article will be up in the morning so ppl will know what he means. And then it is, and the premise is Hodgson...

I think if anything the behavior around releasing that article shows that Yerdon should take a time out from the article hype game, not some us for noting how stupid the tweets were.

But it’s always nice that you comment on our perspective while protecting a writer’s silly comment from criticism.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Ive spoken to 3 people today who have asked me about that tweet

the kind of people who follow that question up with "what was hodgson like?"

so there's a section people that read that tweet and then the article and buy what hes shilling

I'd classify that person as "sports fan that doesnt watch hockey until HIS caps won the cup now hes a hockey expert"

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Or we are having fun goofing on a click bait tweet that was silly and should be goofed on.

I mean the guy makes his uneasy comment, which was made to built interest in the piece. And then he tweets about how he doesn’t like to keep ppl in suspense, but the article will be up in the morning so ppl will know what he means. And then it is, and the premise is Hodgson...

I think if anything the behavior around releasing that article shows that Yerdon should take a time out from the article hype game, not some us for noting how stupid the tweets were.

But it’s always nice that you comment on our perspective while protecting a writer’s silly comment from criticism.
Than you for reinforcing my point.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Than you for reinforcing my point.
That tweet was designed to get shared without context and scare people into clicks.

Given some of the goings on in Buffalo sports right now (Shady, Sabres cultural rumors), it’s just lame to put that energy out in the world over a bad player comp.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That tweet was designed to get shared without context and scare people into clicks.

Given some of the goings on in Buffalo sports right now (Shady, Sabres cultural rumors), it’s just lame to put that energy out in the world over a bad player comp.

Again reinforcing my point. If any one was "scared" by that tweet they are being ridiculous. The entire thread after it were the folks that follow him joking around because they know he is being goofy. As evidenced by his follow up tweet with Obi Wan "I've not heard that name for a very long time".

I do love you, of all people, complaining about negative energy going out into the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I signed up for a full year as soon as I saw that Kris Baker signed on with the Athletic. Best fifty bucks I've spent in a long time, can't recommend it enough. Vogl had a Q&A session that was just fantastic, lots of good insight and he answered nearly everything he was asked...especially the tougher questions that require an insider.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Again reinforcing my point. If any one was "scared" by that tweet they are being ridiculous. The entire thread after it were the folks that follow him joking around because they know he is being goofy. As evidenced by his follow up tweet with Obi Wan "I've not heard that name for a very long time".

I do love you, of all people, complaining about negative energy going out into the world.
Again, given our running back might have called in the goons, and we just traded a top six center for magic beans, maybe chill on the “ruh roh guys.”

But hey, good on Joe for getting a little extra attention.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Having just lost my job a couple weeks ago, I would be all over this if I wasn't tied to the area (live in NW suburbs of Chicago now).

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Missed this at the time. Lots of interesting insight there. Pointed anecdotes too:

“As I understand it, The News lost $250,000 worth of business with the Pegulas at one point. I heard it was Sabres programs. It came to my attention at the time,” says Sullivan, referencing Kim and Terry Pegula, the owners of the Bills and Sabres. “I recall one specific major staff meeting, not just sports but the whole department, one of the advertising people joked in front of the whole room about Sully costing us that money. I think there was a general understanding that it as negative sports writing that caused the Pegulas to pull that.”

Also interesting to know that they're trying to fill these positions, but not necessarily with someone who will get the columnist gig immediately. Seems like who will become the columnists is up in the air.

Reactions: Husko

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I signed up for a full year as soon as I saw that Kris Baker signed on with the Athletic. Best fifty bucks I've spent in a long time, can't recommend it enough. Vogl had a Q&A session that was just fantastic, lots of good insight and he answered nearly everything he was asked...especially the tougher questions that require an insider.

Completely agree. Best $45 I’ve spent in a while.

I have been very impressed with the Athletic so far, and I only see it getting even better as training camps + new seasons start.

Their beat writers seems to have top notch access to the teams they cover. They’re breaking news and providing inside access (and promising lots more inside access pieces to come).

They are providing quite a bit of stuff/information that I’ve only found on the Athletic. Which is something that really makes them stand out in this age of freely available information.
I can go to any sports site and get summaries of the widely available news. The Athletic is providing me something more.

They’ve put together an excellent business model and have gone about executing it just about perfectly.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I saw Jeremy White recommending listening to Matt Ellis on with Howard Simon this morning so I went and listened. It was very good, Ellis is a passionate development/skills coach, loves what he's doing at the Academy at Harbor Center. I think Matt will want to get behind the bench as an assistant in Rochester. Anyway the interview was mostly about dev camp which he ran with Chris Taylor and half the interview was about Dahlin and then a few minutes on Mittelstadt, Guhle and Pekar.

07-16 Matt Ellis with Howard Simon

Reactions: LaxSabre

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I saw Jeremy White recommending listening to Matt Ellis on with Howard Simon this morning so I went and listened. It was very good, Ellis is a passionate development/skills coach, loves what he's doing at the Academy at Harbor Center. I think Matt will want to get behind the bench as an assistant in Rochester. Anyway the interview was mostly about dev camp which he ran with Chris Taylor and half the interview was about Dahlin and then a few minutes on Mittelstadt, Guhle and Pekar.

07-16 Matt Ellis with Howard Simon
I liked when he got into talking about how mittlestadt positions his body for protecting the puck. It was a little detail on these guys that you don’t usual hear about.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Damn. They really don’t like Harrington.

I can’t imagine their new employer wants to see this type of stuff. Or maybe they hate Harrington as well. :laugh:

Reactions: Chainshot

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

I can’t imagine their new employer wants to see this type of stuff. Or maybe they hate Harrington as well. :laugh:

There has to be more to it than them simply seeing what the readers and fans see. He must have done something to his coworkers at some point, or various points, to see the out-of-the-way barns flying by.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He’s utterly unlikable on twitter, in press conferences and in print. Now imagine having to see him in person constantly.

On top of that he’s completely clueless about the sport he covers and a shit writer on top of that. As professionals they’d abhor him.

You knew it had to be bad when Sal Cappaccio subtweeted him over the blogger comment. That guy won’t say a bad word about anyone and felt he had to get a shot in.

Reactions: cybresabre

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
There has to be more to it than them simply seeing what the readers and fans see. He must have done something to his coworkers at some point, or various points, to see the out-of-the-way barns flying by.

I don’t know the guy, but the reactions from his former co-workers tell me he must’ve been someone in the office that took stories away from his peers, or put a halt to their articles being published. How he went from covering baseball(to a decent level IIRC) to hockey escapes my mind, especially when you have writers/journalists that have a bigger love of the game if office.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don’t know the guy, but the reactions from his former co-workers tell me he must’ve been someone in the office that took stories away from his peers, or put a halt to their articles being published. How he went from covering baseball(to a decent level IIRC) to hockey escapes my mind, especially when you have writers/journalists that have a bigger love of the game if office.

I've never met the guy. But if he is anything like his Twitter persona he probably isn't that fun to work with. He has this arrogance that isn't really warranted . The fact that he brings up his degree in social media discussions as some sort of appeal to his own authority with readers show you how insecure he is.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Harrington's been a dink in real life and online for so long, is it any wonder people he worked with don't like him.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What the f*** is the “great moments in sports” blurb they’re doing on WGR? It’s like 3 minutes long where the narrator mentions a bunch of the big moments in sports history. It was cool the first time I heard it.... but they play it multiple times an hour. Is it some sort of paid programming instead of commercials? Or is it WGR filler content?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Holy shit these guys.
I hate Mike Harrington, but this is just unprofessional by these guys. Nobody looking good here.

Reactions: Buffaloed

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
By the way, I don't know how many ever listened to WGR through the (little-used and now semi-hidden) Internet Radio tab in the iTunes desktop software. But it has always been there on the list under Sports category, and still is listed there.

I have often used iTunes to stream WGR while sitting at my desktop doing computer work. That iTunes stream continued to work even after the discontinuation of the WGR mobile app and the end of TuneIn support. But now it seems that this stream no longer works as well. I can't get it to play today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad